Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,527
    jwm40517 said:

Had meniscus surgery on left knee on Friday and bowled in my league on the next Wednesday over 20 years ago.

My uncle taught me to bowl at Southland Lanes!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,635
    Michaell said:

pensfan83 said:

Kentucky I could see but I honestly didn't think it made it out West let alone Canada. Guess that changed when they were bought out.

I can’t remember how long it’s been available in Colorado.
    Rolling Rock has been available in the East since I was a bush-drinking teen. I remember that they had little half cans so you always had a cold one.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665

A bucket of Rocks used to be a thing.

Still is around these parts. Rolling Rock is now a premium beer around here. When I was in college, it was the cheapest swill we could buy.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring

Allegedly, BMW has stopped including Apple Car Play and Android Auto because of the chip shortage. Sounds kinda fishy to me, though.
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    I have the chip and cordless Apple Carplay. I’ve used it and do not see the attraction to be honest.
    carnaught said:

I have the chip and cordless Apple Carplay. I’ve used it and do not see the attraction to be honest.

Play all my music, my podcasts, my books while in the car using Car Play. Plus, I charge my phone in the process. Plus, on the off chance I’m lost, it gets me back on track.
  • jwm40517jwm40517 Member Posts: 284
    kyfdx ,that was at Southland. It is the only one left in Lexington now for leagues. I grew up in Ashland with a choice of three and the last was demolished last month. Only one left in Huntington,WV now.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,486
    Carplay is great when you don't have navigation (and still better since you don't have to use the OEM version). Just plug in and go.

people like it for getting text too, and streaming.

if you don't stream music or use navigation, then now, it does not add much value!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,553

Not sure about the cans but they still make the pony bottles.

1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP

I'm a poor excuse for a Yinzer not knowing how far the reach of Latrobe Brewing was. For shame...

1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
    In Cincinnati area, we grew up drinking Little Kings Cream Ale. Which came in 8 packs of 7 oz bottles.

Like Rolling Rock, it's pretty crappy beer, as well.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,265

@graphicguy said:
    Allegedly, BMW has stopped including Apple Car Play and Android Auto because of the chip shortage. Sounds kinda fishy to me, though.

BMW says CarPlay and android auto will be added by software update at a later date. Must be a different chip and they need to write new software???

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,961

This is a typical view of the traffic situation for my drive home. This is a good day!

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,533
    sda said:

A clean car is a wonderful thing. I find the Passat handsome in a conservative German way.

————————————————-
    Why do you guys keep missing spots? :/

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    sda said:

This is a typical view of the traffic situation for my drive home. This is a good day!

————————————————

Don’t complain. That’s a sign of employment for you and the folks that get in your way.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258

@kyfdx said:
    In Cincinnati area, we grew up drinking Little Kings Cream Ale. Which came in 8 packs of 7 oz bottles.

If you (kyfdx) grew up on Little Kings Cream Ale, that could be the solution to the baby formula shortages! 🤪😜

2021 Genesis G90

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,635
    kyfdx said:

My local favorite crappy beer was Schaefer. When the brewery closed they tried to dynamite the building but only succeeded in blowing out the bottom floor leaving the top six sitting on the rubble. A final bad taste for the community.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,071
    The Schaefer jingle is burned into my brain from listening to baseball games on the radio in my youth.

"Schaefer is the one beer to have when you're having more than one
    Schaefer pleasure doesn't fade even when your thirst is done
    The most rewarding flavor in this man's world for people who are having fun
    Schaefer is the one beer to have when you're having more than one!
    - F&M Schaefer Brewing Company, New York"

I don't recall ever having a Schaefer.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    I'm not sure where Old Milwaukee fits into all of this, but I believe it was the cheapest beer I ever bought. Mind, that was 35 years or so ago.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester

I'm not sure where Old Milwaukee fits into all of this, but I believe it was the cheapest beer I ever bought. Mind, that was 35 years or so ago.

It's still cheap, and it still sucks.

Anyone remember Top Hat? I worked at a liquor store in 1981, and it was the cheapest beer we carried.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,293
    edited May 2022
    I also worked in a liquor store around the same time.
    Remember buying a case of Milwaukee's Best for 4 or 5 dollars a case(once).
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    edited May 2022

@kyfdx said:

Anyone remember Top Hat? I worked at a liquor store in 1981, and it was the cheapest beer we carried.

Old Milwaukee can’t be any worse than Iron City. Brewed right here in the Burgh. I swear they scoop that stuff right out of the Monongahela River, carbonate it then push it into bottles and cans. I know, talking like that I could lose my Yinzership but I gotta be honest in here.

jmonroe

The most likely buyers for my house are having a get together a few houses down the street, so I printed a sign 'For Sale next Month' and and taped it to my mailbox.
    Can't hurt.
  • henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289

I also worked in a liquor store around the same time.
    Remember buying a case of Milwaukee's Best for 4 or 5 dollars a case(once).

Around 1969, a case of pretty good beer would run you about $4.50 to $4.75. We're talking Miller High Life or Schlitz. I don't remember any really cheap beer back in that time frame. By the 1980s, Old Milwaukee was the cheapest of the cheap and I knew several people who drank it.

I never thought of Rolling Rock as being cheap, when I've seen it for sale it's usually priced with the more premium brands (Michelob Ultra, like that). Definitely costing more than Bud or similar.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324

I 35 or so years ago I was working in a liquor store and Old Milwaukee beer was the cheapest beer we had and it sold somewhat good.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324
    The most likely buyers for my house are having a get together a few houses down the street, so I printed a sign 'For Sale next Month' and and taped it to my mailbox. Can't hurt.

Just out of curiosity why are you going to sell your mailbox?

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

kyfdx said:

I remember Kroger offering generic beer in a Yellow can with black lettering BEER. It was cheap. I bought a six pack, took it back to the house I was sharing with other college roommates. Normally a six pack wouldn’t last a night even if you didn’t offer the bounty. The generic beer lasted for two weeks. It was awful.

Iron City was $4.99/case
    Top Hat was $3.99/case

So, you can imagine how bad Top Hat was….

Working at the liquor store, I drank Heineken. :)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

@snakeweasel,
    You have to start somewhere. :p
  • driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,975
    edited May 2022
    Ford F150 EV looks pretty good too.

The most likely buyers for my house are having a get together a few houses down the street, so I printed a sign 'For Sale next Month' and and taped it to my mailbox.
    Can't hurt.

One friend has a neighbor who is really cheap.
    He talked his neighbors on both sides into putting up fences...then he got two sides of fencing for free...he just had to do one along the back.
    When my friend was selling his house the realtor put a sign on the lawn, the cheap neighbor made a big hand painted sign that said...Home For Sale - By Owner...Call -------------- He figured he would get anyone looking at my friend's house.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

@driver100 said:
    Ford F150 EV looks pretty good too.
    One friend has a neighbor who is really cheap.
    He talked his neighbors on both sides into putting up fences...then he got two sides of fencing for free...he just had to do one along the back.
    When my friend was selling his house the realtor put a sign on the lawn, the cheap neighbor made a big hand painted sign that said...Home For Sale - By Owner...Call -------------- He figured he would get anyone looking at my friend's house.

I guess there is one in every neighborhood. So I’m told, a guy about a half block down the street from me is a real brat. However, every time he sees me he’s smiling and waving like we’re old friends so I wave back. He seems alright to me but I don’t live next door to him.

jmonroe

• jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244

@sda said:
    I remember Kroger offering generic beer in a Yellow can with black lettering BEER. It was cheap. I bought a six pack, took it back to the house I was sharing with other college roommates. Normally a six pack wouldn’t last a night even if you didn’t offer the bounty. The generic beer lasted for two weeks. It was awful.

I don't think I was imaging this, but didn't Kroger also sell their beer in a one gallon milk jug?

2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
    jipster said:

@sda said:

I don't think I was imaging this, but didn't Kroger also sell their beer in a one gallon milk jug?

I have no idea. That would be for the truly thrifty. I can't imagine the beer being any worse than what was in the cans. yuck

jipster said:

@sda said:

That reminds me....I bought 40 viscosity oil by the gallon for my 60 Sprite that went through oil faster than gasoline.

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,146
    jipster said:

I recall several years ago we went to an Octoberfest type Festival at a small Ohio town in an area
    with a lot of German heritage, Minster Ohio. I was stunned that they sold the beer in half gallon milk type
    containers. There were people walking around drinking out of them.

No, I have no idea what brand of beer it was. LOL

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

Of course, you can get draft beer in growlers, now. Fresh from the tap. The usual quantity is a half gallon, but they are also quart bottles.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

@snakeweasel,
    Seems like there is a lot of interest in my mailbox already even though I removed the sign after dark last night. B)

@explorerx4 said:
    @snakeweasel,
    Seems like there is a lot of interest in my mailbox already even though I removed the sign after dark last night. B)

Don’t get too excited. Once they hear the price they’ll lose interest.

jmonroe

• iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    edited May 2022

Why are you selling your mailbox, explorerx4? :D

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

@iluvmysephia1,
    It includes a house, too. :o
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704

I figured. I'm just doing my best jmonroe1 impression!

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

@iluvmysephia1 said:

I figured. I'm just doing my best jmonroe1 impression!

And not being very good at it. :#

There are some things that should not be attempted.

jmonroe

A Texas State trooper pulled a car over on I-10 about 62 miles west of Kerrville Texas. When the trooper asked the driver why he was speeding, the driver said he was a Magician and Juggler and was on his way to West Texas to do a show for the Shrine Circus. He didn't want to be late.
    The trooper told the driver he was fascinated by juggling and said if the driver would do a little juggling for him then he wouldn't give him a ticket. He told the trooper he had sent his equipment ahead and didn't have anything to juggle.
    The trooper said he had some flares in the trunk and asked if he could juggle them. The juggler said he could, so the trooper got 5 flares, lit them and handed them to him.
    While the man was juggling, a car pulled in behind the State Troopers car. A drunken good old boy from Ingram Texas got out, watched the performance, then went over to the Trooper's car, opened the rear door and got in. The trooper observed him and went over to the State car, opened the door asking the drunk what he thought he was doing.
    The drunk replied, “You might as well take my butt to jail, cause there ain't no way I can pass that test.”

@iluvmysephia1,

Wow. That's got to be a really small house.

Oh Boy, everyone's a comedian this week! HA HA
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,966
    SDA, I almost got those same alloys as yours but went instead for the 15 spoke ones. When I got my Golf, didn't like the stock alloys it came with so they agreed to swap ones from a new GTI for me. They ended up making a mistake, putting on the wrong alloys in the wrong size rim. After having issues for the first three weeks, their tire/wheel guy saw the problem before we even got to my vehicle. Pulled up two Jetta's with different alloys on them and literally gave me 5 minutes to decide. Was a tough decision bu went for the 15 spoke rims that I found out later were really from an "SEL" version of the Jetta/Passat line-up.
    To this day, whenever I see the other rim on another vehicle driving around, still question my choice but after a few minutes know that I did indeed make the right decision.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

edited May 2022

Oh Boy, everyone's a comedian this week! HA HA

Just tryin' to keep up.
    Actually it's a distraction because it's been a miserable month and half and more like miserable 2.5 months. I appreciate the humor, even when it was at my expense. At least they're not criticizing GM cars unfairly like in the old days. LOL

I have been thinking about what I'd get were one of my two cars to bite the dust in some way.
    I think I'm ready to look at hybrid models, likely from toyota. A Venza that plugs in and is hybrid would be nice, but they don't make them yet, so a Rav4 would be possible, but a sedan is more likely.

I need to replace the valve cover on my Cruze when I get the chance and my back says "Yes." It has a light oil leak. The Malibu is great. I'm doing what some others here do and daydreaming for the future in hopefully a better world.