Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665

@graphicguy said:
    https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a39969206/2023-nissan-z-drive/

Boy, is this tempting.

Must. Not. Test. Drive. I. Just. Bought. A. Car. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was interested in the new Z as well, but I can only imagine the huge ADM stickers that will be slapped on them.

Thinking the same. Still, I’m afraid if I go for a test drive (if they’ll even allow test drives), I might be too tempted. That said, if I could nail down a base model with a manual trans………….
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,937
    The new Z really looks sharp, I'm impressed.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,466

@graphicguy said:
    Thinking the same. Still, I’m afraid if I go for a test drive (if they’ll even allow test drives), I might be too tempted. That said, if I could nail down a base model with a manual trans………….

————————————————-

I can hear it now, “here Mr. Dealer please take my wallet. I just gotta have one right now”. :o

Us guys in here have to look at this logically, while his wallet will be empty we’ll be getting glowing reports about how well it drives. And before you ask, NO, I ain’t willing to help pay for those reports.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    Michaell said:

My wife had one of those semi-automatic Beetles.

My folks bought be a ‘65 Baja Bug when I was in HS, for $1500. Damn thing left me stranded quite a number of times.

My sister inherited it, and my dad and uncle converted it to a 12 volt system. No more problems!

Been there, done that. My first car was a 1949 Chevrolet, which a previous owner had converted from 6 volt to 12 volt. The lights were okay (what there were, which wasn't much), but the starter was still 6 volt. The car would start really well until the starter burnt out, which is when I discovered why the previous owner had not swapped the starter. There were no 12 volt starters which would bolt up, or at least none in the local junk yards. I could get a 6 volt starter for $5 in the junk yard, and it would last around 6 months. And when the starter was out, I could always get my friends to help me push start.

I would imagine a VW bug would be even easier to push start, but I never had that experience. But I did have one strange experience in a Bug. The first one I ever had any exposure to, around 1966 or 1967, the mother of one of my friends bought a Bug, new or nearly new. She let us take it to an out of town basketball game, and on the drive back we could not get the headlights into high beam. That thing had really weak headlights to start with, and we were driving on a dark night in the deep piney woods of East Texas about half blind. We pulled off the road and spent 10 minutes trying to find a high beam foot switch, which of course did not exist.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
    jmonroe1 said:

@graphicguy said:

————————————————-

I can hear it now, “here Mr. Dealer please take my wallet. I just gotta have one right now”. :o

Us guys in here have to look at this logically, while his wallet will be empty we’ll be getting glowing reports about how well it drives. And before you ask, NO, I ain’t willing to help pay for those reports.

jmonroe

How expensive could it be to get one of those IDs that say "jmonroe"? What's your Genny VIN#, again? Bet I could get good trade value for it. Besides, I could tell them that you've had a change of address. They're personally delivering cars these days.

Not red, but this would do also.
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,953
    Just stopped by a Wendy's for a burger and senior coke. Parked in a handicapped space in front and as this guy passes me, he says, "nice car" and keeps on going. Sunny day down here and it was washed last Thursday so does still look clean. Did my heart good to hear those words and my co-worker remarked basically, see, others like your car so why in heck are you looking to replace it with something you'll grow tired of really soon, and then want back what ya used to have! Got me thinking actually and him also being a real car guy, maybe that's why I'm always looking but, never stopping to buy? Those words sound so familiar but can't recall where I've heard that phrase before??? It's on the tip of my tongue...another senior moment here!!!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

So glad my interior is ivory and not black. Got into a newer Passat on Friday with the black faux leather and almost burnt the back of my legs off! Same black faux leather we have in the wife's A3 and was a vivid reminder of why I went with the ivory color as they've never burned me yet. As much as I like wearing shorts here in the summer, took out some of my cargo slacks and will be wearing them more often now that summer is upon us. Or might just bring a beach towel in my backpack so I can use it on those really hot days. Was a painful reminder that black faux leather and hot sun do not mix!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    nyccarguy said:

tifighter said:

Great time to buy a 20 year old SUV, I thought to myself.

You might want to look into one of them there fancy EEElectric vEhicKukls I seen on the news.
    Looks like the SW corner of TX is my best and closest bet for buying cheap gas.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    Finally took Indeed.com off my phone/computer as the amount of emails I was getting was just overwhelming at the end of the day. After my Toyota debacle have decided that I made the right employment choice and to stop being tempted by other new jobs out there. Figure if I could keep my current gig for another 10 or so years, I'll be good. As long as my health holds up, I'm staying put as it's super easy to be honest. Driving new vehicles from place to place is just so easy and I get to try almost everything that's out there. The flexibility they give us is very cool and we can usually take off whenever necessary. And we're still getting raises each year so what's there not to like!

@graphicguy said:
    How expensive could it be to get one of those IDs that say "jmonroe"? What's your Genny VIN#, again? Bet I could get good trade value for it. Besides, I could tell them that you've had a change of address. They're personally delivering cars these days.

————————————————-
    For who? :o

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)

Just stopped by a Wendy's for a burger and senior coke.

Okay, what's a "senior coke"? Smaller, larger, cheaper, ???

How expensive could it be to get one of those IDs that say "jmonroe"?

I remember back in the 70s, you could buy a fake Driver's License at the flea market. I don't remember now what the price was, but it was relatively cheap, maybe $10? And they looked very much like the real thing. They eventually got busted, but it was common to see those sellers at the flea market in those days.

And on a completely unrelated note, there are enough older guys here to appreciate this. I was watching Grumpy Old Men last night (great movie), and I was struck by a line from Burgess Meredith to Jack Lemon.

"Time gets away from you. You wake up one morning and realize you're not 81 anymore."

Turns out it's a free small drink. Was told I am pre-diabetic at my last blood test so have been cutting back on my soft drinks, usually with lunch & always when we eat out. Looks like tonight with dinner, I'll have ice water to compensate. But everything in moderation to be honest. I don't drink coffee so Pepsi is usually my source of caffine especially those days I work. Go to McDonald's those days I work and get a egg biscuit and I bring a small can of Pepsi. Plenty to eat and get my caffine. Get there a bit early, bring a magazine & read. It's "my quiet time" where I relax and get ready for the day ahead. I find it really helps me get "in the zone" if you will for the day ahead. Hopefully, no one sits near me as it's my time to think, read & get ready.
    Those n/s days like today, usually set my alarm for about 8:15 to 8:30 and slowly get up. Was a bit tired today so slept in a bit and didn't shower or leave the house till around noon. But that's o k, since had nothing planned today. Don't plan things most days and just see how things end up. This part time retirement thing works for me since I work enough days to keep me active and with other folks but have enough free time to keep me balanced. Right now, life is good!

@henryn said:
    I remember back in the 70s, you could buy a fake Driver's License at the flea market. I don't remember now what the price was, but it was relatively cheap, maybe $10? And they looked very much like the real thing. They eventually got busted, but it was common to see those sellers at the flea market in those days.

And on a completely unrelated note, there are enough older guys here to appreciate this. I was watching Grumpy Old Men last night (great movie), and I was struck by a line from Burgess Meredith to Jack Lemon.

"Time gets away from you. You wake up one morning and realize you're not 81 anymore."

That reminded me of a story I heard in my younger days about getting old. The unfortunate thing is, a couple times since I’ve gotten into the house flipping biz with my Son I found myself asking the same question. It goes like this:

“You know you’re getting old when you bend down to tie your shoes you find yourself asking - is there anything else I can do while I’m down here”? :'(

jmonroe

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,441
    If you really want the taste of soda switch to diet. or cut the cord (we did except for rare times when out driving someplace and need to stop) and switch to water or like us, iced tea (unsweetened). Side benefit, a bunch fewer calories!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,238
    Cherry Coke Zero has been my go-to for years. It’s been harder to find the last couple of years due to supply chain issues, but I’ve also learned that you can add orange or cherry bitters to regular diet cola to make it a little more special.
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,856
    edited May 2022

Interesting. Things apparently aren’t getting better for Ford. Source KBB.com

_Ford has reportedly closed customer order books for the 2022 F-150. That means buyers can no longer custom-order America’s best-selling vehicle. Ford has such a backlog of orders that factories will keep churning out F-150s until the 2023 model year kicks off.

The forum F150gen14.com obtained a memo Ford sent to dealerships last week informing them that the order shutdown “applies to the XL, XLT, Lariat, King Ranch, Platinum, Limited, and Tremor trims on hybrid and gas engines.” The company had already shut down orders of electric F-150s.

That list leaves open the possibility that customers can still order an F-150 Raptor.

It doesn’t mean there will be no F-150s for sale. The memo notes, “dealers will continue to be able to submit orders for F-150 dealer stock inventory.” So, you’ll likely still find F-150s for sale on dealership lots all year. But you can no longer order your own with just the colors and features you want.

Ordering will resume, the memo says, in July with the arrival of the 2023 F-150_

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    edited May 2022
    What is up with the pedals? Is that an automatic? Or is the skate wheel the gas pedal? Good luck fitting a human foot in there!

That strange circular ghastly pedal!

I asked the owner about the setup underneath there. Yes, it's a 4-speed standard transmission and, his text answer went like this: "Manual transmission yes engine gas pedal." So the yellow round part is the engine gas pedal. I studied the picture a while and the driver steps down on the 1 1/2" (approximately) flat part of the roller that they've screwed on there coming up from below and pushes down just like on a traditional gas pedal. No doubt it's sturdy as all get out and works like a champ for the Bug because he didn't voice any concern about the build-up whatsoever. I agree after looking at it, I won't have any problem with it. There's one place your foot goes on a standard transmission automobile - to the right. Now, if your footwork is affected by how they built it up, that's another thing. That's what I mean, his answer tells me that the assembly is working fine on the Baja Bug.

I'm still excited about this car and it's still available. I just need to develop a plan to get over there (where we just were 3 days ago) and transfer funds over to the right account and talk to him about payment methods, etc. We should be able to agree on a price over the phone ahead of time and then I could head to my bank in Alamo and get a cashier's check. In this case an old-fashioned check might work the best since I need to inspect and drive the car to see what my real offer would be.

I'm excited about this Baja Bug because they've not spared anything putting this car together. The tires even look good. If it doesn't come with a stereo that doesn't qualify as something you can under cut him on price for. I would offer him $5,100 where I'm at right now with it.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

jmonroe1 said:

@henryn said:

That reminded me of a story I heard in my younger days about getting old. The unfortunate thing is, a couple times since I’ve gotten into the house flipping biz with my Son I found myself asking the same question. It goes like this:

“You know you’re getting old when you bend down to tie your shoes you find yourself asking - is there anything else I can do while I’m down here”? :'(

jmonroe

I can identify with that, except it's more when I get fully down. If I'm going to be working under the desk, or under the kitchen sink, or under the car, anywhere where I have to get down on the ground. I look around and ask myself, "Do I have all of the tools and parts that I might need once I sit down or lay down to start this job?"
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,221

What is up with the pedals? Is that an automatic? Or is the skate wheel the gas pedal? Good luck fitting a human foot in there!

That strange circular ghastly pedal!

I asked the owner about the setup underneath there. Yes, it's a 4-speed standard transmission and, his text answer went like this: "Manual transmission yes engine gas pedal." So the yellow round part is the engine gas pedal. I studied the picture a while and the driver steps down on the 1 1/2" (approximately) flat part of the roller that they've screwed on there coming up from below and pushes down just like on a traditional gas pedal. No doubt it's sturdy as all get out and works like a champ for the Bug because he didn't voice any concern about the build-up whatsoever. I agree after looking at it, I won't have any problem with it. There's one place your foot goes on a standard transmission automobile - to the right. Now, if your footwork is affected by how they built it up, that's another thing. That's what I mean, his answer tells me that the assembly is working fine on the Baja Bug.

I'm still excited about this car and it's still available. I just need to develop a plan to get over there (where we just were 3 days ago) and transfer funds over to the right account and talk to him about payment methods, etc. We should be able to agree on a price over the phone ahead of time and then I could head to my bank in Alamo and get a cashier's check. In this case an old-fashioned check might work the best since I need to inspect and drive the car to see what my real offer would be.

I'm excited about this Baja Bug because they've not spared anything putting this car together. The tires even look good. If it doesn't come with a stereo that doesn't qualify as something you can under cut him on price for. I would offer him $5,100 where I'm at right now with it.

Looks like the pedal broke off, and they jury-rigged it with what looks like a clutch stop they had lying around. (doesn't matter if you don't know what that is).

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

jmonroe1 said:

@graphicguy said:

————————————————-

For who? :o

jmonroe

For the guy who lives in OH who's changed his name to "jmonroe".

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,564
    au1994 said:

stickguy said:

Ford definitely wishes they could build more units and make more money. They easily could have moved double the number of mavericks. Probably many more.

I’m beginning to see more Mavericks in the wild. Probably 6 in the past week and 2 were in commercial trim.
    I still haven’t seen a Maverick around here. I may have to reconsider buying one though. The coworker who has the pristine low mile 2005 Ranger has decided not to sell. Can’t blame him really as the truck looks brand new. He says he’s going to use it in Florida when he goes down every year.

I’m heartbroken 😭

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311

A test drive in a Z sounds like fun to me. And they're free....Why not? Unless they make you an offer you can't refuse, you can just say thanks, but no thanks. Just my 2 cents.
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
    If you can even find one that isn't presold to test drive!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,221
    corvette said:

That's the problem. When my son was shopping, last year, the Kia dealer had three Seltos models on the lot, but they were all spoken for, and no test drives allowed.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    edited May 2022
    Now is the worst time in my lifetime to buy a car, new or used, bar none. 🤬

au1994 said:

stickguy said:

Ford definitely wishes they could build more units and make more money. They easily could have moved double the number of mavericks. Probably many more.

I’m beginning to see more Mavericks in the wild. Probably 6 in the past week and 2 were in commercial trim.
    I still haven’t seen a Maverick around here. I may have to reconsider buying one though. The coworker who has the pristine low mile 2005 Ranger has decided not to sell. Can’t blame him really as the truck looks brand new. He says he’s going to use it in Florida when he goes down every year.

I’m heartbroken 😭
    I have not yet seen a Maverick with my own eyes, only pictures. As they are not even taking orders at this point, god only knows when you could actually lay your hands on one.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891

@carnaught said:
    Now is the worst time in my lifetime to buy a car, new or used, bar none. 🤬

I’m having a good time.
    ;b

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Any thoughts on poly vs steel wheelbarrows? I had a pretty nice 6 cu ft poly model, and the tray or tub just smooth broke today. I was replacing a post in my wood fence, dropped a 60 lb bag of concrete mix in the wheelbarrow tub and it dang near broke in half. About 4 or 5 years old, kept outside, so I guess the sun got to it. It seems a shame to throw it away, it has very nice non-wood handles and a steel frame which is still in great shape, but the reviews for this model on HomeDepot talk about the tub breaking and you can't buy a replacement. The 6 cu ft steel model weighs quite a bit more, and the reviews for it say the tub rusts when kept outside.
    I have a cheapo steel wheelbarrow from Lowe's, but I don't use it for anything all that heavy (mostly moving mulch or dirt) and it gets kept in my garage. No issues in 5 years other than airing up the tire and spraying some lubricant on the axle when it made noise. I'm guessing all the UV exposure (and heat) is probably what killed your poly one. That said, I'd definitely steer clear of steel ones if storing outdoors. Maybe park it in a shaded area if possible.
    henryn said:

I have not yet seen a Maverick with my own eyes, only pictures. As they are not even taking orders at this point, god only knows when you could actually lay your hands on one.

It's as easy as finding a CarMax or other dealer that has a used one with 1,500 miles for sale at $10,000 over the original MSRP.
    Hoovie needs to buy this and have The Car Wizard go over it. The dealer acknowledges that the valve covers are leaking. Beyond that, I see a CEL. Oddly, the VSC and TRAC lights are on, but no ABS light? Either the bulb is burnt out, or maybe it's a steering angle sensor, yaw sensor, or something that wouldn't affect the ABS. It looks cosmetically decent for the miles, other than the headlights, driver's armrest, and the pitted windshield.

au1994 said:

stickguy said:

I’m heartbroken 😭
    I have seen a couple up by you and I don't even live there!

I will be back up there running around on Friday. I can shoot you our itinerary so you can stalk us. If you aren't wearing your farmer boots I will even let you sit in it.

you should definitely go to a dealer you like (bigger volume will be better) and arrange to order one 1st thing on the day 2023 orders open (I think it is 8/23). Then you wait! Do you want a Hybrid or the ecoboost? Not sure if you are going to require AWD or not.

@graphicguy said:
    For the guy who lives in OH who's changed his name to "jmonroe".

————————————————-
    I’ll take that as a complement. You could have chosen a much less worthy poster buddies name. B)

jmonroe

@henryn said:
    Any thoughts on poly vs steel wheelbarrows? I had a pretty nice 6 cu ft poly model, and the tray or tub just smooth broke today. I was replacing a post in my wood fence, dropped a 60 lb bag of concrete mix in the wheelbarrow tub and it dang near broke in half. About 4 or 5 years old, kept outside, so I guess the sun got to it. It seems a shame to throw it away, it has very nice non-wood handles and a steel frame which is still in great shape, but the reviews for this model on HomeDepot talk about the tub breaking and you can't buy a replacement. The 6 cu ft steel model weighs quite a bit more, and the reviews for it say the tub rusts when kept outside.

————————————————
    Since you’ve already had a poly job that broke why are you even considering another one? My Son and I both have a steel 6 cubic foot job. Mine is around 30 years old (his only around 10 years old) and both have mixed a lot of bags of concrete. Both have sat outside at the flips for awhile but stored upside down with a Harbor Freight blue tarp over them. So far so good.

jmonroe

he key in the A3's key fob got stuck again and wouldn't open when pushing the button. The wife usually stops by the dealer & they fix it but decided to take a look at it. Found some WD-40 and sprayed it on then kept opening & closing it. Let it sit a couple of hours and did that open/shut procedure some more. By bed last night, worked fine, opened every time. Problem solved.
    Funny, she only mentioned it one time a couple of years ago after she had stopped by Audi and that wasn't the first time she said. No issues ever with my VW key fobs except for replacing the batteries once already. I know her spare set needs a new battery but it is still sitting in the key bowl by the front door where all the keys live.

@tjc78 said:
    I love how everyone’s relationship is different. My wife isn’t stopping at the dealer for anything. If something is wrong I’m dealing with it.

She did have a breakthrough last week. She had to go to Manhattan to speak for a conference and only had a half a tank. She wanted a full tank so had to get gas on her own for the first time in literally five+ years. Now keep in mind Jersey still has full service (for now anyway). She also made sure to tell me she knew to put premium in!

That’s my wife too. Self service won’t bother her.

Only time she had to get it out of state (visiting family by herself) she found the one station in town that offered full service. Or got one of her brothers to put it in.

I can’t remember the last time she stopped down here. And she wouldn’t set foot in a service department.

I’m having a good time with this upside down car world, too. I’ve flipped some used, and some new cars…all without any penalty, and made a few bucks in the process. I haven’t pulled the trigger on some cool cars like @qbrozen or @breld has. But, I have been able to just about drive a new car every year for the past 2+ Years. And, the used ones I flipped, were pretty easy to do.

Will this last forever? Doubtful.

Still, fun while you can do it.

The “Z”? They aren’t even on dealer lots yet. I would bet the first ones will all be spoken for. And, seeing the vid reviews of them, they’re all going to be the most expensive ones. Whereas I want a base model with no options. Those would probably be the hardest to come by.

We’ll see. Don’t see any test drive anywhere near on the horizon, though.
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,856

I’m certainly losing my CCBA card. I really have zero desire to shop in this madness. If the market was normal I’d already be eyeing up the next lease (most likely a TLX or S60 Recharge) but for something that I really don’t need I’m not paying $800 /month for it.

If we find that one car doesn’t work for awhile I’ll probably seek out a geezer mobile (GM something with a 3800 or a Panther) on FB market or Craig’s and drive that when needed on the cheap.

Now I do have to figure out something for Mom in December so around late summer I’ll see what I can do. She will certainly have equity in the RAV so I’ll use that to buy her payment down. Even so doubtful she is getting something similar at her $350 / month payment.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    edited May 2022
    ....And meanwhile you can live the life of luxury in your Accord Touring. Impressive features that loaded model has, with wireless CarPlay/AA, electronically adjustable shocks, ventilated front seats, projected mph display on the windshield, heated rear seats, etc., etc. I once added up all the features that you get for the extra money with the touring over the EXL, and actually I think it's a good deal.

To me it's kind of amazing the luxury features you can get on even most mid-level cars today. When I was a kid reading the National Geographic, I remember looking with awe at an advertisement of a 1974 or so Thunderbird with a moonroof, but figured I'd never own a car like that. True, it was a long time, but we got our first car with a moonroof in 2008, and now my wife's 2018 mid-level EX CR-V has not only a moonroof, but heated seats, vanity mirrors with lights on each side, etc. I was looking at one of the videos from that guy Adam who does his rare classic cars channel, and his 1970 Buck Electra is a great luxury car of that era, and it has vanity mirrors too, but no lights, no moonroof. I really like classic cars, but overall would rather watch videos and read articles about them than actually own them.

The V-8 engines on those classic cars just swallowed gas. My 1969 Pontiac Catalina had a 400 cubic inch V-8 engine, which is 6.5 liters. I was wondering yesterday what my wife's 1.5 turbo would be in cubic inches, and it was somehow even less than I thought—91.5. Less than one quarter the size of my Pontiac's huge V-8, but probably the difference in power between the two isn't really all that big? Not sure. Anyway, on a recent trip between Louisville and Columbus, OH, in her CR-V we averaged 38 mpg with the AC on, going about 65-70 mph most of the way. That Pontiac was a lot bigger, but it probably would have gotten at most about 12 mpg on a similar drive.
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • breldbreld Member Posts: 6,698

In the new house build, we feel fortunate that our last couple homes had already been spec’d out and fit our tastes and needs very well. That took the option anxiety and decision making out of it, which was nice.

There are definitely options that would have been hard to choose based on cost, but when they’ve already been built in, you just take it.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

I like the Z as well. And I never heard back from my Toyota salesman about letting me get on a list for the manual Supra. I haven’t followed up cause I’m pretty sure I know the answer.

Maybe this craziness will die down and we won’t have to beg to buy a car at sticker.

@28firefighter - as long as you’re not tied to the Tesla brand, sounds like a good situation to try out the Mach E. There’s a lot to like about it.

Keep the Model Y order and you can make that decision when that arrives.

Over the years, I've found it interesting to follow those of us who have been here for a while, and our automotive leanings.

There are some who love BMWs, others love Mercedes.

I stray from Honda products from time-to-time (OK....all the time), but generally like them. I like the way they're built. I like the way the operate. I like the way they look.

That said, I do have a wandering eye when it comes to vehicles. Generally, I like Hondas/Acuras most, though.

I still have a very soft spot for Hondas/Acuras despite hardly owning any in recent years. But my car enthusiasm really started with my ‘90 Civic Si, which was followed up by a Prelude and TSX. And then of course I had my stint with the Type R.

I like the current TLX and will be very interested in the Integra Type S that is surely forthcoming. And an interest in the MDX Type S is what actually led me to the X5. I wanted a sportier SUV and was considering the Acura, but found the X5 to be nicer at a better price.

I stray from time to time based on needs, but have been heavily Honda/Acura recently. At least for the wife! going back to 2005 Odyssey followed by 2 RDXs. I only had the Accord (also 2005) followed by the Volvo (really the daughters, we just shared) then 2 Hyundais before my TLX. Now of course, a Ford!

what comes next, anybody's guess!

• iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    The guy sold the Baja Bug! I grabbed my phone this morning at about 5:30AM Mountain Time and hit refresh and it gave me the message that said "This page has been deleted by its author." Wow. I was still caught up in the financial gathering stage of "hunting and gathering. " Us guys do the hunting and gathering for the family or couple and our beautiful women do the cooking, cleaning and housework. I...I...mean they also lead the State of New Mexico. Our governor's name is Michelle Lujan Grisham. Oh, she does a fine job. Yes she does. And my wife is not the Governor but she is a fine cook and a beautiful woman inside and out.

But while I was gathering the guy sold the Bug. Remember I said "I'd better hurry on this." I didn't hurry enough.

1970 VW Beetle with a 1776 motor

This one is my target now. I had to come to terms with a lowered car, but I have come to terms with it. Runs well and shifts smooth. Clean title, fiberglass floor pans, professionally lowered with big sway bars. Has a stereo with CD player, which works for me in partial because I just bought Def Leppard's 'Pyromaniac' on CD, plus I have scads and scads of CD's. I could add a Bluetooth player with USB hub later. Has new seats.

I would take a van service to the El Paso Airport and fly to Portland. From there it's about 3 miles to this guy's house. I could just take a taxi.

He wants $4,500 for it. It looks just like that Bug being towed on the flatbed a couple days ago as the Mrs. and I drove back to New Mexico from Tucson. Wow. It's a lot ta take in but, with a deep breath and sip of fine coffee, I really like this idea.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312

@corvette said:

Then there are the dealers who won’t allow a test drive without a signed buyers order and a deposit. I remember scheduling a Supra test drive at Oxmorons Toyota only to arrive and find that Supra test drives were verboten. The sales guy acted like it was a Senna GTR.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive