Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,964
    I would have preferred a lighter color interior and had I bought new would have made that a requirement.
    As the car has dark tinted windows and the exterior is a light color of silver having a black interior has not been an issue. With the headliner and roof pillars being a light grey instead of black, the interior does not feel too dark or like being in a tomb.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,194
    edited May 2022
    I got the trifecta of idiots at the same intersection this morning. Though I guess only 2 were active yet at the time of the pic.

2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2021 VW TIguan SE 4Motion
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    And not being very good at it. :#

There are some things that should not be attempted.

jmonroe

My joke was actually too clever to be one of your jokes, so...you're just jealous.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,295
    This popped up on my YT feed tonight.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xr0D4JGDlj0
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324
    driver100 said:

jipster said:

@sda said:

I remember Kroger offering generic beer in a Yellow can with black lettering BEER. It was cheap. I bought a six pack, took it back to the house I was sharing with other college roommates. Normally a six pack wouldn’t last a night even if you didn’t offer the bounty. The generic beer lasted for two weeks. It was awful.

I don't think I was imaging this, but didn't Kroger also sell their beer in a one gallon milk jug?

That reminds me....I bought 40 viscosity oil by the gallon for my 60 Sprite that went through oil faster than gasoline.

Man that car looks like it's smiling.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,975

driver100 said:

jipster said:

@sda said:

I remember Kroger offering generic beer in a Yellow can with black lettering BEER. It was cheap. I bought a six pack, took it back to the house I was sharing with other college roommates. Normally a six pack wouldn’t last a night even if you didn’t offer the bounty. The generic beer lasted for two weeks. It was awful.

I don't think I was imaging this, but didn't Kroger also sell their beer in a one gallon milk jug?

That reminds me....I bought 40 viscosity oil by the gallon for my 60 Sprite that went through oil faster than gasoline.

Man that car looks like it's smiling.

Now that you mention it.....and it has little dimples.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,966
    OF, my old co-worker started at Myrtle Beach yesterday and had to go to Charleston, worked like 10 hours. Am sure he'll fill me in on the details later today as am curious. We used to do more longer trips pre-covid which most of my crew misses.
    Our crew will probably be split up once our lead is down to one day per week. No more Wednesdays for him so have no clue where I'll be tomorrow. Did tell the big boss he could put me where needed once the dust finally settles as it might be nice to work with some other folks for a change. Really wish we could get that schedule where it changes weekly depending on your needs as it gives one total flexibility but since we have so many drivers, guess it could become a nightmare putting groups together. This way, we know what days we work and with who on those days. Guess I'm just ready for a change I guess as I haven't worked with many of the others more than a couple of times. I was hired for a specific group, dealing with the sold vehicles, which I liked since we'd go out of town most everyday back then. Now, mostly short trips to branches to fill their rental needs. Definitely prefer to drive a couple of hours to try out the different vehicles and see how they drive.
    But, like I said, times are changing and best to be as flexible as possible. And luckily, my boss knows I have no problem working a few extra days here & there as well as my regular schedule. And with summer coming on, many of the drivers take vacation time so he needs some flexibility.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

On the way home from work I saw two things that really upset me. First was $5.15 gas for RUG and second was the first E-Mustang I've seen in the wild.

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258

Gas prices have finally gotten so high I have actually made a conscious effort to drive less than I was driving last year! I only have 6400 miles on my 14 month old car and expect to cut back even more considering I already drive so little as it is.

My car requires premium - twin turbo V6 with 365 hp - which is now $4.86 a gallon at Costco. That’s a 20 cent increase in just 1-week. It cost me $55.00 last week for 1/2 a tank of gas.

2021 Genesis G90

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,637

OF, my old co-worker started at Myrtle Beach yesterday and had to go to Charleston, worked like 10 hours. Am sure he'll fill me in on the details later today as am curious. We used to do more longer trips pre-covid which most of my crew misses.
    Our crew will probably be split up once our lead is down to one day per week. No more Wednesdays for him so have no clue where I'll be tomorrow. Did tell the big boss he could put me where needed once the dust finally settles as it might be nice to work with some other folks for a change. Really wish we could get that schedule where it changes weekly depending on your needs as it gives one total flexibility but since we have so many drivers, guess it could become a nightmare putting groups together. This way, we know what days we work and with who on those days. Guess I'm just ready for a change I guess as I haven't worked with many of the others more than a couple of times. I was hired for a specific group, dealing with the sold vehicles, which I liked since we'd go out of town most everyday back then. Now, mostly short trips to branches to fill their rental needs. Definitely prefer to drive a couple of hours to try out the different vehicles and see how they drive.
    But, like I said, times are changing and best to be as flexible as possible. And luckily, my boss knows I have no problem working a few extra days here & there as well as my regular schedule. And with summer coming on, many of the drivers take vacation time so he needs some flexibility.

Sounds like the Myrtle Beach operation works longer days like we do. As you said, times have changed. We don’t get nearly the hours we used to but our new boss tries to take care of the drivers who he knows want to work. It the car market ever recovers we should all get a lot of action delivering to dealers.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

On the way home from work I saw two things that really upset me. First was $5.15 gas for RUG and second was the first E-Mustang I've seen in the wild.

Don't feel too bad, we are paying $2.08 a liter which would be $6.18 per gallon U.S.D. for the equivalent amount .
    The Mustang I can't help you with........that's an embarrassment to an iconic automobile name.

edited May 2022
    abacomike said:

Gas prices have finally gotten so high I have actually made a conscious effort to drive less than I was driving last year! I only have 6400 miles on my 14 month old car and expect to cut back even more considering I already drive so little as it is.

My car requires premium - twin turbo V6 with 365 hp - which is now $4.86 a gallon at Costco. That’s a 20 cent increase in just 1-week. It cost me $55.00 last week for 1/2 a tank of gas.

$4.70 PUG , higher in NC. No need to cut back driving too much, remember you bought the car to enjoy! How is your brother doing?

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,966
    OF, we haven't been that busy but have been consistent. Tonight, we got off at 5:55 but most nights are closer to 5:30 with an occasional 6:00. We don't make those long trips like other offices do, today my buddy said he had a 4 hour one way drive to drop off a vehicle and bring another back. Guessing different areas have slightly different operations and do business accordingly. No matter, it's really the best part time gig out there & all our guys still love coming into work as we never know what the day will bring...and I like that, a lot!
    Have been in the rental car business almost ten years now and can see me doing it another ten as long as my health holds out. I'm only 67 now so feel like I've got plenty of good years left!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258

@sda said:
    $4.70 PUG , higher in NC. No need to cut back driving too much, remember you bought the car to enjoy! How is your brother doing?

Still improving. Thanks for asking.

2021 Genesis G90

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,586
    driver100 said:

Don't feel too bad, we are paying $2.08 a liter which would be $6.18 per gallon U.S.D. for the equivalent amount .
    The Mustang I can't help you with........that's an embarrassment to an iconic automobile name.
    That isn't the correct conversion amount.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,194
    kyfdx said:

driver100 said:

It's pretty darn close.

A gallon is 3.785 liters, so you're at about CAD $7.87 per gallon... and a US dollar is about $1.28 Canadian, which puts you at USD $6.15 per gallon.
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2021 VW TIguan SE 4Motion
    kyfdx said:

driver100 said:

I used this calculator but my math is not the best;
    https://www.mississauga4sale.com/Gasoline-Conversion-Calculator-litres-gallons-us.htm#LtoGal
    I believe 4.5 liters = 1 Cdn gallon, and 4 liters = 1 U.S. gallon. Then you have to calculate the exchange rate.

ronsteve said:

kyfdx said:

driver100 said:

It's pretty darn close.

A gallon is 3.785 liters, so you're at about CAD $7.87 per gallon... and a US dollar is about $1.28 Canadian, which puts you at USD $6.15 per gallon.
    Thanks Ronsteve.......I used the conversion table mentioned above, but math wasn't my best subject...I don't think any subject was my best subject. Unfortunately, I spent more time dreaming about some of the young ladies in school, than my academic studies. :D

driver100 said:

kyfdx said:

driver100 said:

https://www.mississauga4sale.com/Gasoline-Conversion-Calculator-litres-gallons-us.htm#LtoGal
    I believe 4.5 liters = 1 Cdn gallon, and 4 liters = 1 U.S. gallon. Then you have to calculate the exchange rate.
    Close with the 4.5 liters to a UK gallon (it's just over that) but it's 3.785 liters to the US gallon

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    abacomike said:

Yes, but I think for most of us here it really isn't that big of a deal. If you're driving 6,400 miles per year, that's about 533 miles per month. If you're car gets 18 mpg (and it probably does better than that), you are buying about 30 gallons of gas per month. If the gas goes up by $2.50 per gallon, then you're out an extra $75 per month. For most of us, that isn't a really big deal. Yes, I know, for some people it is, but not for most of us.

I will admit to sticker shock when a tank of gas costs $100 or more. I remember like it was yesterday the first time a tank of gas cost me more than $10.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,916
    I was just a kid, but I remember when my mom was able to fill our '73 Corona for only $5 in the early to mid 70's.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,492
    henryn said:

abacomike said:

Yes, but I think for most of us here it really isn't that big of a deal. If you're driving 6,400 miles per year, that's about 533 miles per month. If you're car gets 18 mpg (and it probably does better than that), you are buying about 30 gallons of gas per month. If the gas goes up by $2.50 per gallon, then you're out an extra $75 per month. For most of us, that isn't a really big deal. Yes, I know, for some people it is, but not for most of us.

I will admit to sticker shock when a tank of gas costs $100 or more. I remember like it was yesterday the first time a tank of gas cost me more than $10.
    it's less of an issue when you only do it once every 6 weeks or so. Which is what I do if we don't take a road trip!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,586
    driver100 said:

kyfdx said:

driver100 said:

You gave both prices in the same denomination. If one is CAD and the other is USD, you should state that. :)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

kyfdx said:

driver100 said:

kyfdx said:

driver100 said:

You gave both prices in the same denomination. If one is CAD and the other is USD, you should state that. :)
    Now you are being like MrsD100....picky picky.
    I said "Don't feel too bad, we are paying $2.08 a liter which would be $6.18 per gallon U.S.D. for the equivalent amount " I thought people would realize when I said "We are paying $2.08 a liter they would remember I am talking about "We" as in Canada....but, I could have been more clear by saying "$2.08 a liter in weak Canadian Dollars". :D

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,926

Too oh eight in mahnahpalee money, eh?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,075
    The proper terminology is "worthless Canadian dollars", spoken with a Boris and Natasha-style Russian accent. :D

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Just a blurb to my audio brethren here….ONKYO just filed for bankruptcy. Another revered brand bites the dust.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    Bring back the good ole days.
  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,536
    carnaught said:

Bring back the good ole days.

————————————————

Do you really want cars that burn oil and get 12 MPG?

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,926

Just a blurb to my audio brethren here….ONKYO just filed for bankruptcy. Another revered brand bites the dust.

I had no idea they were still around

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

@qbrozen said:

Sad

• houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    abacomike said:

@qbrozen said:

I never experienced an HOA until we got the condo in SC. It is an 8-unit building, so everyone is a member. It is … interesting.

I am almost embarrassed to tell you what my HOA costs me every month - $531 through electronic withdrawal to my checking. I live in a 48 unit 4-story building. There are 6 buildings in my Village. HOA fees are levied by square feet of each unit. My unit is a 1350 sq ft unit. There is one larger unit and one smaller unit in the building.

But 60% of the HOA fees go to the Community Council to cover security and their vehicles, grounds, golf course, tennis courts, maintenance of roads and buildings, etc. It’s a huge community with over 5500 people living here. We have huge green areas as well.

I just got hit with a $390 assessment for redoing our “Village” pool and gating the area around it. Each Village (there are 20 villages) has it’s own board of directors. The Community Council pays all salaries for office workers, over 90 grounds workers, 35 security personnel with 10 security vehicles, 2 entry gates, ballroom, theater, card and game rooms, country club operations and 30+ clubs with facilities. Transport buses circle the community to transport owners who don’t drive to all areas in the community. We also have large buses that transport owners to food shopping, shopping malls and special trips externally. We even have nurses and a doctor on staff in our country club facility.

15 years ago, HOA fees were $290 a month. It isn’t cheap living here, but the grounds are kept beautifully and it’s peaceful and quiet. Lots of activities and a restaurant at the country club.

It used to be a 55+ community - now a 80+ community - 🤪😜. All kidding aside, there are younger people moving into the community all the time. My village was the last village built in 1991. I am 1-block from the theater and game/club rooms with several walking pools and patios along with the administration center which gives out parking/gate decals for cars and ID cards. Very convenient.

Do they include and utilities, cable, and other things like that?

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

Lots of brand names have been bought and slapped on crappy products too.

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    qbrozen said:

They bounced around a bit. They merged with Pioneer at one point, which fell apart. I hadn’t seen any of their products for a while. So, not surprising, but the gear I’ve owned from them over the years was always good.

Sad to hear of their demise.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    venture said:

I read that the other day. Wasn't it because of a law specific to that state?

Has to do with workers compensation laws.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

@jmonroe1 said:
    ————————————————

jmonroe

Don’t forget that the “12 mpg” days overlapped with gasoline as low as 24 cents per gallon😏.

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,896

@graphicguy said:
    They bounced around a bit. They merged with Pioneer at one point, which fell apart. I hadn’t seen any of their products for a while. So, not surprising, but the gear I’ve owned from them over the years was always good.

Sad to hear of their demise.

That stinks. I had some good experiences with their stuff too. There has been such a shift away from high quality audio gear it isn’t a surprise to me.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

@houdini1
    But think of what you save by never having to leave the grounds and buying gas at $5 a gallon!
    You don't have to join a Y, or a golf club, or go to the beach.....not bad for $531 a month.

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,536
    carnaught said:

@jmonroe1 said:

————————————————

jmonroe

Don’t forget that the “12 mpg” days overlapped with gasoline as low as 24 cents per gallon😏.

———————————————

I agree but the half life of those oil burning engines was 40/50K miles and that was for the better engines.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    Ah, disposable oil burning engines. Time for a new car!
    Home improvements continue. I wrestled 3 top sashes (thankfully double hung) out yesterday that had blown seals do all fogged up. Took them to a local shop that makes replacement panes and swaps them into the frames. Now back looking like new. Just need to get them back in the opening and the house will look much less seedy!

The to do list to make it show ready is still depressingly long. But just need to keep knocking things off the list until I run out of list. Or time!

@stickguy,
    I feel the same way. The list seems kind of endless.
    A couple weeks ago, my wife was shampooing the basement rec room rug.
    She opened the door to the outside and 2 chipmunks ran in and she only saw one run back out.
    Went into the utility room in basement and it smelled kind of punky.
    Found this guy taking the big sleep, at least easy to find.
  • henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    I'm not surprised to hear about Onkyo. People these days want simple, they buy a Smart TV and a soundbar, game over, all done. I'm still using an older model Onkyo, the TX-SR313 in my home theater. Only 65 watts per channel, but that's plenty with the very efficient Paradigm speakers that I'm using. It has 4 HDMI inputs, and on screen display, so serves all of my needs. When I go to 4k, I will need to upgrade, but that's not likely to happen soon.

I spotted an Onkyo TX-828 on Craigslist the other day for $330, and that would make a nice upgrade. But until I get a new 4k TV, there would be no noticeable difference.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,075
    While there are still some older folk continually in search of the One Pure Sound, my suspicion is that the market for that kind of high-end gear is shrinking fast. When most of todays music is made with computers, who is to say what that perfect note is supposed to sound like? Since most music consumers today listen on phones and earbuds and computer speakers, they just have no clue about sound.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

@stickguy,
    Here's an annoying thing we are working through right now with our new build.
    Twice, we have picked out some flooring got quotes sent to the builder, he confirms it is available and forwards order to us for approval, we approve.
    He puts in the order suddenly it is on not available, on back order.
  • mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,265

@kyfdx said:

I figured that @driver100 meant $CAD with liters and $USD with gallons. 😃

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,916
    Quick internet search turned up these:

USD per gallon from CDN per litre

CDN per litre from USD per gallon

C'mon guys - work smart, not hard!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

jmonroe1 said:

carnaught said:

@jmonroe1 said:

————————————————

jmonroe

———————————————

I agree but the half life of those oil burning engines was 40/50K miles and that was for the better engines.

jmonroe

Not to mention that the average income was less than $6K/year.

• dad23dad23 Member Posts: 869

Just filled up at $4.09/gallon regular unleaded. Not sure whether to be happy or sad about the mileage on the truck after 16 months.

My Explorer does better than that towing a trailer. Sorry.