Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,224

@stickguy said:
    I luv, your intent is to pick up a beetle, and immediately just drive it 1,500 miles home through the desert?

Brave man!

Kinda like riding through the desert on a horse with no name. 😀

• iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    edited May 2022
    Well, this is just an idea, right? I haven't yet bought my plane ticket. That's the point where I have to make up my mind. Or just let somebody else buy it. Which could happen. The Bug is living in a really wet place, that's a real negative.

What I need to do now is ask the owner for more pictures of wheel well bottoms and frame areas. If he tells me on e-mail that it's problem was fixed by taking off existing factory frame and installing fiberglass frame, that's fine, but what else are we looking at? I'll definitely ask for pics and information regarding rust. If he doesn't say much about it or he simply says "there isn't any other rust besides what was fixed by installing the fiberglass frame" I will consider believing him or not believing him, and may just not book that plane ticket.

As for the drive 1500 miles south to slightly southeast, yes, that's how I planned on getting home, stickguy! I know. I know. That is a long time to listen to Def Leppard, The Drive-By Truckers and The Tragically Hip. But a long part of the trip will be with the CD player off. I want to hear that 1776 engine purr!
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    What is a 1776 VW engine?

1776 cc Big Valve – 69mm Stroke x 90.5 Bore. The bore, stroke, and valve train combination of the JCS 1776 executes the perfect balance in performance, reliability and economy. This VW engine produces excellent low end torque and a significant performance increase throughout it’s entire R.P.M. range.
    https://lujackhyundai.com/service-and-maintenance/what-is-a-1776-vw-engine.html

Credit: Autoblog Garage - https://lujackhyundai.com/service-and-maintenance/what-is-a-1776-vw-engine.html

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,936
    @iluvmysephia1 If you are really serious about buying that Beetle, hire someone to give it a thorough inspection before going to the expense of flying there to pick it up and find that it isn’t what you had hoped or worse.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,145
    sda said:

@iluvmysephia1 If you are really serious about buying that Beetle, hire someone to give it a thorough inspection before going to the expense of flying there to pick it up and find that it isn’t what you had hoped or worse.

Seconded. Spending a couple hundred dollars up front could save you a bunch of money in the long term.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

Oh that wouldn't be any fun! What's the adventure in that? Isn't life all about...adventure? Harrison Ford in all the obvious films like...Star Wars. Nicolas Cage in Red Rock West. Ya pickin' up my vibe? I don't want something stamped in gold, I want some fun outta this thing, guys!

Charge! Poor Stanley in that film with Aiden Quinn and Brad Pitt called 'Legends of the Fall.' I started watching it again and stopped it when Stanley started narrating the horror of WWI in his eyes. I've seen that movie many times, but the part where Tristan runs after Stanley and can't get to him in time was oh so ever disturbing on the big screen the first time I watched it.

No, you're right. Get the blimin' thing inspected before flying northward. I know.

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312

@mjfloyd1 said:

@stickguy said:
    I luv, your intent is to pick up a beetle, and immediately just drive it 1,500 miles home through the desert?

Brave man!

Or having to listen to any America album all the way through.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    edited May 2022

@mjfloyd1 said:

@stickguy said:

Brave man!

Or having to listen to any America album all the way through.

---------------end quoted material-------------

Well, I like some of their music. But I don't know that I've ever listened to any of their albums all the way through, I have no idea what I would hear.

Come to think of it, that's true of a lot of musical groups. Back in the day, you know, back when gas was 29 cents a gallon and music came on 12 inch vinyl discs, everyone listened to an album all the way through. Or at least all of one side. But when's the last time you did that?
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica

But a long part of the trip will be with the CD player off. I want to hear that 1776 engine purr!
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    What is a 1776 VW engine?

1776 cc Big Valve – 69mm Stroke x 90.5 Bore. The bore, stroke, and valve train combination of the JCS 1776 executes the perfect balance in performance, reliability and economy. This VW engine produces excellent low end torque and a significant performance increase throughout it’s entire R.P.M. range.
    https://lujackhyundai.com/service-and-maintenance/what-is-a-1776-vw-engine.html

Credit: Autoblog Garage - https://lujackhyundai.com/service-and-maintenance/what-is-a-1776-vw-engine.html

Me thinks someone does exaggerate. The person who wrote that description of the VW engine, I mean. I suppose by comparison to the original 1200 cc, and later 1300cc engines, it might be considered to have better low end torque, but I never knew anyone to call it "excellent low end torque". And you should also remember, those engines (all of the VW air cooled engines) are known for their short life span.

Part of the fun of driving a Bug was managing to zip around on little to no horsepower or torque.

I had to do an emergency repair this afternoon. No, not on a car, on a vacuum cleaner. I have one room in the house with carpet (the master bedroom), so I still need an upright vac. I have an old Kirby that I picked up at a thrift store for less than $20, and it’s been doing the job for several years now. This afternoon, I plugged it in and got no ignition.

After diddling around for a while, I dug out the VOM and discovered the power cord was bad. Naturally, this sucker uses a proprietary connector at the vac end, so off to Ebay and Amazon I went. The cheapest cord was $24, plus tax, so I dug out some butt connectors and spliced the old end onto an extension cord I had lying around. The butt connectors are hidden behind the bag, and well secured, so this ought to get me by for a while.
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,237
    I've been pleased with the cordless Dyson Animal my parents got me for Christmas a few years back. Has a beater bar and works well on rugs and hard floors, and is also great for cleaning vehicle interiors. Battery still has good capacity.

They also got me a Roomba a year or two later, and I use it less frequently--it's outstanding for getting under couches and beds, but also requires a decent amount of babysitting in terms of emptying the dust container, setting up the infrared virtual walls, and moving it from place to place, plus it won't completely clean my (800 square foot-ish) first floor without needing a recharge.
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,852

@henryn said:

Well, I like some of their music. But I don't know that I've ever listened to any of their albums all the way through, I have no idea what I would hear.

Come to think of it, that's true of a lot of musical groups. Back in the day, you know, back when gas was 29 cents a gallon and music came on 12 inch vinyl discs, everyone listened to an album all the way through. Or at least all of one side. But when's the last time you did that?

I do it several times a week. If I have a stretch of time where I don’t have any meetings I’ll throw something on while working. To your point, I’m sure I’m in the minority.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891

@henryn said:
    Me thinks someone does exaggerate. The person who wrote that description of the VW engine, I mean. I suppose by comparison to the original 1200 cc, and later 1300cc engines, it might be considered to have better low end torque, but I never knew anyone to call it "excellent low end torque". And you should also remember, those engines (all of the VW air cooled engines) are known for their short life span.

Part of the fun of driving a Bug was managing to zip around on little to no horsepower or torque.

But they are also known for ease of rebuild. And I think if the 1776 is built right and pushing 90-100 hp, that would probably feel pretty good in a less-than-1-ton car.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

edited May 2022
    I seriously have a problem. I couldn't hold back. A LHD 1996 Alfa 155 Q4 with 40k miles is coming up today. Cheap bid placed, pending report translation. Sometimes these things come back with "not original miles" or "not original paint," at which point I cancel my bid.

No, no, no... dammit. It is painful, but I'm not doing it. I have to wait for that first car to come in.

It is funny ... not even the people who do this every day seem to know the process and rules for importing. I have 3 different contacts: the proxy bidder (?), the shipping company, and the broker. I'll have one tell me I need to do something with the other (for example, proxy bidder tells me to send a piece of paper to the shipping company) but then I try to do it and the other party says, "no, that's not true." I plan to sit down and document everything so, if I do it again, there will be less back and forth.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

But they are also known for ease of rebuild. And I think if the 1776 is built right and pushing 90-100 hp, that would probably feel pretty good in a less-than-1-ton car.

And the weight of a 1970 VW Beetle is 1,807 lbs., the price when new was $1,839. So I'll be overpaying. Oh, that's another benefit of owning that car - it's a classic and won't go down in value. Unless it's maintenance and repair isn't kept up.

@qbrozen said:
    I seriously have a problem. I couldn't hold back. A LHD 1996 Alfa 155 Q4 with 40k miles is coming up today. Cheap bid placed, pending report translation. Sometimes these things come back with "not original miles" or "not original paint," at which point I cancel my bid.

No, no, no... dammit. It is painful, but I'm not doing it. I have to wait for that first car to come in.

It is funny ... not even the people who do this every day seem to know the process and rules for importing. I have 3 different contacts: the proxy bidder (?), the shipping company, and the broker. I'll have one tell me I need to do something with the other (for example, proxy bidder tells me to send a piece of paper to the shipping company) but then I try to do it and the other party says, "no, that's not true." I plan to sit down and document everything so, if I do it again, there will be less back and forth.

You are just now figuring out that you have a problem?🤣😂

• carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    @corvette, I think your parents, with their gifts, were trying to tell you something.

@qbrozen, you are a glutton for punishment.

@roadburner, not so much listening to a whole America album (I liked them) but rather Air Supply.

Good luck bid with on the Alfa Q! Sounds like a cool car.

edited May 2022

And the weight of a 1970 VW Beetle is 1,807 lbs., the price when new was $1,839. So I'll be overpaying. Oh, that's another benefit of owning that car - it's a classic and won't go down in value. Unless it's maintenance and repair isn't kept up.

In 1969, the year I graduated high school, my parents bought a new VW Beetle. It cost right at $1,800. But by comparison, you could buy a new 1969 Plymouth Road Runner, with the 383 V8 and 4 speed manual transmission, for $2,500. That wasn't the MSRP, but there were plenty around at that price.

And yes, the Beetle was very light weight. I remember helping to pick one up and lodge it in a tree. Yes, people really did things like that back when.
    edited May 2022
    qbrozen said:

@henryn said:

--------------end quoted material------------

They were also known, back in the day, for floating quite well.
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,031
    carnaught said:

@corvette, I think your parents, with their gifts, were trying to tell you something.

@roadburner, not so much listening to a whole America album (I liked them) but rather Air Supply.

I worked with a fellow in the early '80s (now sadly deceased, far too young) who was a huge fan of Air Supply, to the point of making me a cassette compilation of a couple of their albums. I think I listened to it once. :|

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    I had a friend in the '70s that was inexplicably obsessed with Foghat. :#

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,592
    kyfdx said:

Probably why you said "had a friend" as opposed to "have a friend"...

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,466
    mjfloyd1 said:

@qbrozen said:

You are just now figuring out that you have a problem?🤣😂

Oh, he knows it alright. He’s just in a house that needs the same help. :o

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    edited May 2022
    @kyfdx,
    There's one of those around these forums, too. HA HA (edit: not me)
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert

@kyfdx said:

Did he take a slow ride?😂

henryn said:

In 1969, the year I graduated high school, my parents bought a new VW Beetle. It cost right at $1,800. But by comparison, you could buy a new 1969 Plymouth Road Runner, with the 383 V8 and 4 speed manual transmission, for $2,500. That wasn't the MSRP, but there were plenty around at that price.

And yes, the Beetle was very light weight. I remember helping to pick one up and lodge it in a tree. Yes, people really did things like that back when.
    ————————————————

Back then because they were so economical, and as a result so plentiful, I’m sure it wouldn’t have taken much to convince some folks that they grew on trees.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    jmonroe1 said:

Oh, he knows it alright. He’s just in a house that needs the same help. :o

jmonroe

Explained to the wife today that I hate my job and want to something with cars, possibly this import thing. None of this is new, but she seemed supportive about it today. She suggested brokering, but I explained that is highly competitive and I imagine a real grind.

@mjfloyd1 said:

@kyfdx said:

Did he take a slow ride?😂

Nah he’s just a fool for the city

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    sda said:

Until the last 18 months we've had a Honda/Acura as a primary vehicle since 2003. I still like them and probably will buy another in the future especially if the Audi/VW disappoint and act up as they get older. I like Mazda too.

My 2015 S4 is operating as a flawless daily since all the issues related to the HPFP failing have been resolved. 48,000 miles being crossed today. Knocking on wood.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    I did my part. So did @28firefighter , and @breld

Anyone else on here sell to another Edmunds member? :)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    andres3 said:

My 2015 S4 is operating as a flawless daily since all the issues related to the HPFP failing have been resolved. 48,000 miles being crossed today. Knocking on wood.

If I may ask, what was the price again for getting it fixed?
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,592
    edited May 2022
    kyfdx said:

True. Although it helps to know someone wants to sell before you can consider buying, I guess.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

tifighter said:

kyfdx said:

True. Although it helps to know someone wants to sell before you can consider buying, I guess.
    Yeah.. we don't really allow anyone to advertise their car for sale, though.

Of course, anyone could mention they were thinking about it. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,936
    qbrozen said:

You need to start your own U-tube channel like Adam of Rare Classic Cars. Give a review of your purchase, rent storage space/building to keep them safe. Show progress on work you do, like on the Coronet?

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

tifighter said:

Given a lot of CCBA folks seem to live in clusters, we definitely need some regional CCBA auto "centers" where we can pool our inventory and to buy, trade or store.

I'm sure @roadburner will be first in line to rent my Prius!
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,145
    kyfdx said:

I'm hoping to be on the buying end, someday. (*cough* ZHP *cough*)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,538

@tifighter said:
    Given a lot of CCBA folks seem to live in clusters, we definitely need some regional CCBA auto "centers" where we can pool our inventory and to buy, trade or store. Also, there should be some sort of exchange where we have special offers to CCBA members first, before Breld we trade our cars out towards something different. Y'know, a CCBA member can buy a vehicle from another one at trade-in value or something when it gets cut loose. That way it stays in the family, and who knows, you might get another shot at the car you wish you had never sold.

I like that.

1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
    corvette said:

tifighter said:

Given a lot of CCBA folks seem to live in clusters, we definitely need some regional CCBA auto "centers" where we can pool our inventory and to buy, trade or store.

I'm sure @roadburner will be first in line to rent my Prius!
    ————————————————

He always wanted a good size tool box on wheels.

jmonroe
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,334

In fairness, I think I posted here that I was planning to sell towards the summer.

2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
    Finished the sound deadening job on the Prius and still have a little material left for future projects. The only casualty was a metal clip that holds the JBL tweeter in on the front passenger door. I also discovered what appears to be a loose heat shield above the muffler--I'll have the exhaust shop take a look at it if/when I ever decide to replace the worn out catalytic converter. Haven't driven it yet, but I'm hoping for a modest improvement.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312

@henryn said:

When I had the Senior Judge gig I spent a lot of time on the road; my Mazdaspeed had a 6 disc CD changer so I listened to a lot of albums all the way through. More recently I have picked up several remastered CDs of some of my favorite albums- the latest is ELP’s “Pictures at an Exhibition.” With the Denon AVR in “Pure Direct” 2 channel mode it sounds amazing.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,499
    carnaught said:

You responded to three posts with only one of your own, an approach that I support fully. Of course, you'll never get to 75,000 posts that way, but only a few seek such status.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    henryn said:

They were also known, back in the day, for floating quite well.

One of the best National Lampoon spoof ads ever had to do with a VW floating in a body of water with the caption "If Ted Kennedy had been driving a VW, he'd be president today."

Good times.

andres3 said:

How many miles do you have on the new engine? There is no substitute for a competent independent shop. Hope it continues to go well.

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,334

I’m surprised no one here has driven/picked up an Elantra N. I’m very curious personally.

2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
    edited May 2022
    I don't know who else likes Foghat on here but they were the hardest working rock and roll band in the business. I saw them at least 6 times as well as Aerosmith. But I love their lead and slide guitarist Rod Price. He passed in 2005 and Lonesome Dave Peverett, rhythm guitarist and lead singer, died of kidney cancer in 2000. I saw Foghat with Dave Peverett in Yakima, WA, at their State Fair on October 1, 1999. My arm was sore after the show because I felt so electrified and good from their music that every time Roger Earl, drummer, hit the drums I pumped my hand in to the air. Very fun time was had by all. They are numero uno in my book of all time.

Growing up just 15 miles north of Seattle I was able to drive downtown or take a bus down Aurora Ave. and see a show myself if I wanted to. Shows were at The Seattle Center Coliseum, The Seattle Arena, The Moore Theater, the Paramount Theater (site of the great Guess Who album 'Live at the Paramount' - one of the best live albums of all time), the Showbox or Parker's Lounge (on the west side of Aurora Ave. about halfway to the city from Edmonds, where I grew up. Occasionally they'd have a show at the old Kingdome (I saw Aerosmith there in 1976) or the Tacoma Dome.

Back to cars, the fact that old vintage VW Beetle's can float doesn't come in to my memory. No, my friends and I never picked a Bug up and stuck it in a tree, nor did we turn off the highway and splash a Bug in to one of the local waterways.

I learned how to drive stick in Dad's '66 VW Fastback (great light car with few rattles) but never drove a VW Bug. Hence the curiosity. But I'm not sure that warrants a purchase of one. My love of the VW Beetle Bug is fading...slowly. I'm thinking of other ideas and even thinking of holding my cards exactly as they are. One love, one couple, one car. :)

Peace.

I’m surprised no one here has driven/picked up an Elantra N. I’m very curious personally.

I'm surprised you didn't tag this post with @breld

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator