Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,964
    mjfloyd1 said:

@kyfdx said:

You gave both prices in the same denomination. If one is CAD and the other is USD, you should state that. :)

I figured that @driver100 meant $CAD with liters and $USD with gallons. 😃

You got it @mjfloyd1! But, I can see where there could be a misunderstanding.
    Besides, there are lots of moving parts to that equation, liters, Imperial gallons, U.S. gallons, exchange rate - lots can go wrong if not exact.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

Michaell said:

Quick internet search turned up these:

USD per gallon from CDN per litre

CDN per litre from USD per gallon

C'mon guys - work smart, not hard!

Yeh, that is much clearer!

Price per Liter
    (CAD/L) Canadian Dollars per Liter
    US Dollars per Gallon:
    (USD/gal) Dollars per Gallon
    Mexican Pesos per Liter:
    (MXN/L) Pesos per Liter
    Euros per Liter:
    (EUR/L) Euros per Liter

at least now I know the pesos and Euros too! :)
    ....and I am reminded that in the U.S. it is gas, in England it is petrol. :)

The U.S. Dollar per Gallon from Canadian Dollar per Liter calculator computes the price of gas (petrol) in U.S. dollars per g

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    dad23 said:

Just filled up at $4.09/gallon regular unleaded. Not sure whether to be happy or sad about the mileage on the truck after 16 months.

Refresh my memory -- what kind of truck are we talking about here?

2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    I should find out in a couple of days what kind of impact a bike rake will make hanging off the back of the Maverick. Going to make another run up to NY. last 2 gave me a solid baseline for MPG on that run. I assume hanging a hitch rake off the back with 2 bikes will take a haircut to that. just not sure how big a one!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

edited May 2022
    good news on the window front. the wife and I got the sashes back in without breaking anything. Heavy buggers. but nice to finally have clear windows again. Should have done it years ago. Makes the place look almost new!

saved a bundle too over the quote for a different place to make the replacement glass in advance and come install it on site. plus the place that did it took the existing grills out of the middle and reused them, so I knew they would match.

• dad23dad23 Member Posts: 866
    edited May 2022

@henryn said:

Tacoma

@explorerx4 said:
    My Explorer does better than that towing a trailer. Sorry.

Don’t be, it’s all good B)

dad23 said:

@henryn said:

Tacoma

Jeez, Louise, I never did that poorly on my full sized F150. Remind me again why the Tacoma's are so popular?
    edited May 2022

I don’t know, cause they’re not Fords? Did I miss the requirement memo on only buying fuel efficient vehicles? ;) The boys wanted a Tacoma, It was a decent lease, we’re happy with it.

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    I hit all the lights right a couple of days ago and the Clubman averaged 50 mpg on the way to work. There was more traffic heading home so the overall average for the day was was 45 mpg.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    mjfloyd1 said:

@kyfdx said:

You gave both prices in the same denomination. If one is CAD and the other is USD, you should state that. :)

Those are big assumptions. You can't trust Canadians. They are known for their subterfuge and unfriendliness.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    Is Mr.shiftright still around here?

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889

Is Mr.shiftright still around here?

No, he retired some time ago.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

He retired.

kyfdx said:

mjfloyd1 said:

@kyfdx said:

Those are big assumptions. You can't trust Canadians. They are known for their subterfuge and unfriendliness.

Yes, we are sly untrustworthy folks.
    OK, so if I get 29 miles to the gallon in the E400.....that is a Canadian Gallon or Imperial Gallon we are talking about (Petro or gas to cover all the bases and so that no one gets confused) how many miles do I get in U.S. Gallons.

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,851

OMG y’all remind me of that scene in My Cousin Vinny when they are arguing about the dripping faucet

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hzfQ0NFNF3g

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

I hit all the lights right a couple of days ago and the Clubman averaged 50 mpg on the way to work. There was more traffic heading home so the overall average for the day was was 45 mpg.

I hit that number, once, on the TDI Passat that I owned for a few months. It was kinda neat, in a way, although I really didn't care that much.
    dad23 said:

I don’t know, cause they’re not Fords? Did I miss the requirement memo on only buying fuel efficient vehicles? ;) The boys wanted a Tacoma, It was a decent lease, we’re happy with it.

And more power to you, no disrespect intended. I will admit to being somewhat surprised at how popular Tacoma's are, their resale value was always ridiculously high. And that was back before all automobile resale values became ridiculously high.
    And none taken, in fact the post was less about the unremarkable MPG and more about how little we've driven it.
    henryn said:

dad23 said:

And more power to you, no disrespect intended. I will admit to being somewhat surprised at how popular Tacoma's are, their resale value was always ridiculously high. And that was back before all automobile resale values became ridiculously high.
    My BIL used to buy a new Chevy truck every two years for decades....he bought his Tacoma about 10 years ago and said he would never buy anything else...and that's all I know about it!

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    If you read the fine print about pandemic "traffic fatalities are up" articles you'll see it's almost all due to increased drunk driving and drinking.

COVID has literally DROVE people to drink more. Pardon the pun.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,290
    andres3 said:

If you read the fine print about pandemic "traffic fatalities are up" articles you'll see it's almost all due to increased drunk driving and drinking.

Gee the ones I have read attributed it to the roads being far less congested and people gunning it down near empty roads.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

driver100 said:

kyfdx said:

mjfloyd1 said:

@kyfdx said:

Yes, we are sly untrustworthy folks.
    OK, so if I get 29 miles to the gallon in the E400.....that is a Canadian Gallon or Imperial Gallon we are talking about (Petro or gas to cover all the bases and so that no one gets confused) how many miles do I get in U.S. Gallons.

Fun fact; during the Battle of the Budge Germany sent German troops in U.S. uniforms behind U.S. lines to cause trouble in advance of the German offensive. Some of the first ones the U.S. captured got caught because they asked a group of GI's where they could get some petro.

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,936
    andres3 said:

And not only that, people have lost what ever driving skills they had. I am amazed there aren’t more wrecks than there are.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

Accidents are way up in our city. As many pedestrians have been hit so far this year as in all of last year. Motorcycle accidents are way up....mostly riders killing or injuring themselves. Police attribute it to people driving faster and more carelessly, since the roads are emptier since covid. There seems to be a lot of inattention too.....cell phones!

In Toronto they have had a lot of car-jacks. The car jackers are 15 and 16 year olds who won't get tough sentences. The guys that control the car stealing rings make the big money, shipping cars overseas. They found one guys stolen car on a used car lot in Uganda. Mitch Marner of the Maple Leafs had his Range Rover hijacked.

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,559
    driver100 said:

Michaell said:

Quick internet search turned up these:

USD per gallon from CDN per litre

CDN per litre from USD per gallon

C'mon guys - work smart, not hard!

Yeh, that is much clearer!

Price per Liter
    (CAD/L) Canadian Dollars per Liter
    US Dollars per Gallon:
    (USD/gal) Dollars per Gallon
    Mexican Pesos per Liter:
    (MXN/L) Pesos per Liter
    Euros per Liter:
    (EUR/L) Euros per Liter

at least now I know the pesos and Euros too! :)
    ....and I am reminded that in the U.S. it is gas, in England it is petrol. :)

The U.S. Dollar per Gallon from Canadian Dollar per Liter calculator computes the price of gas (petrol) in U.S. dollars per g
    All I know is the next time I fill up the Mustang with PUG it’s going to cost over $5/gal. :'(

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

I once managed 32 mpg with the Mustang in a short hypermiler trip but that really took all the fun out of it.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

driver100 said:

Accidents are way up in our city. As many pedestrians have been hit so far this year as in all of last year. Motorcycle accidents are way up....mostly riders killing or injuring themselves. Police attribute it to people driving faster and more carelessly, since the roads are emptier since covid.

I don't think that's true anymore, at least not in my little corner of the world. I was out and about twice this week, and got caught in the afternoon traffic jams which were every bit as bad as anything I saw pre-Covid.

Now there was a period of time when the freeways were amazingly empty. Shortly after the lockdown, in April and May of 2020, I would sometimes go out for a drive in the middle of the day. The freeways were so empty I felt like I was in the middle of one of those post-apocalyptic movies and I was the last man alive on earth.

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    Spoke with our son today, lives in Chicago. Said he paid $5.16 for regular the other day. That's really outrageous. The price difference from all over the United States is something I'll never understand...why it's so much more some places and so much less in others. I realize state taxes are different but there doesn't seem to be any logic to this madness lately! All I know is that I've been driving less but making sure my tank is pretty well 3/4 full all the time. I still remember those awful petrol lines we had to endure a few times in the 70's and it's still like a bad dream to me. Someone even ran into the back of my 1967 Olds Cutlass Supreme as I was waiting in a gasoline line on St. Charles Ave. in New Orleans. Was either 1973 or 1974 and it didn't bust the tail lights luckily, just pushed in the bottom one a bit. And I never got it fixed as it didn't hurt the paint at all, just the metal. Those vehicles were pretty heavy back in the day as I recall. Once I had the car painted brown, it was so hard to even see the damage and sold it that way in 1977.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

henryn said:

driver100 said:

Accidents are way up in our city. As many pedestrians have been hit so far this year as in all of last year. Motorcycle accidents are way up....mostly riders killing or injuring themselves. Police attribute it to people driving faster and more carelessly, since the roads are emptier since covid.

I don't think that's true anymore, at least not in my little corner of the world. I was out and about twice this week, and got caught in the afternoon traffic jams which were every bit as bad as anything I saw pre-Covid.

Now there was a period of time when the freeways were amazingly empty. Shortly after the lockdown, in April and May of 2020, I would sometimes go out for a drive in the middle of the day. The freeways were so empty I felt like I was in the middle of one of those post-apocalyptic movies and I was the last man alive on earth.

There is an interstate highway spur here in Northern Illinois that is normally like that. It's I-180 and it's not unusual to drive the entire length (I think 5 miles) and not see another car on it.

• iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    edited May 2022
    Thanks for the update in shifty, I recall him talking about retirement in 2018.

As for COVID-19 casualties, depression and suicide are up, up, up since COVID-19 broke out. More and more addicted people driving like idiots and trying to text and get phone updates of all sorts while driving their car. Ugh.

I don't know about you guys, but I recall seeing on a car forum a picture of a kid about 19 years old laying down on the ground. Only...this picture was a little bit different. He was torn asunder right about his waist. Guess what he was doing when his car rammed into the back of a semitruck? Texting.

Unfortunately he didn't survive the accident due to the speed he was going and the fact that he hit a thick horizontal platform on the back of the truck. I wasn't even texting yet when I saw that picture, but, it did serve as a strong warning to not text while driving.

I think the funniest thing people do while driving is women changing bras and who knows what else while driving to work! Re-hee-ha-he-haa-reeee-llll-y?!!!

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,253
    edited May 2022
    Synchrony Bank has a 16 month CD for 2.00%, along with a couple others that are higher or lower depending on term.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,255

@Sandman6472 said:
    Spoke with our son today, lives in Chicago. Said he paid $5.16 for regular the other day. That's really outrageous. The price difference from all over the United States is something I'll never understand...why it's so much more some places and so much less in others. I realize state taxes are different but there doesn't seem to be any logic to this madness lately! All I know is that I've been driving less but making sure my tank is pretty well 3/4 full all the time. I still remember those awful petrol lines we had to endure a few times in the 70's and it's still like a bad dream to me. Someone even ran into the back of my 1967 Olds Cutlass Supreme as I was waiting in a gasoline line on St. Charles Ave. in New Orleans. Was either 1973 or 1974 and it didn't bust the tail lights luckily, just pushed in the bottom one a bit. And I never got it fixed as it didn't hurt the paint at all, just the metal. Those vehicles were pretty heavy back in the day as I recall. Once I had the car painted brown, it was so hard to even see the damage and sold it that way in 1977.

As you mentioned, state gasoline taxes vary from state to state. Another variable is cost of distribution. In other words, the distance a gas station is from the terminal. The farther from the terminal, the higher the cost of the gasoline being delivered. Another variable is competition with other gas stations which has an affect on gasoline pricing.

2021 Genesis G90

abacomike said:

@Sandman6472 said:

As you mentioned, state gasoline taxes vary from state to state. Another variable is cost of distribution. In other words, the distance a gas station is from the terminal. The farther from the terminal, the higher the cost of the gasoline being delivered. Another variable is competition with other gas stations which has an affect on gasoline pricing.

As for the prices varying from state to state just look at Needles, CA where gas is $6.80 but right across the river in Arizona there is a gas station at $5.39 just across the river but it drops to $4.41 just a little bit further into Arizona (and I mean a mile or less).

I have also noticed that gas stations right off the interstates have higher gas prices than those a bit further away.

I have also noticed that gas stations right off the interstates have higher gas prices than those a bit further away.

I have been aware of that for years. I'm not sure whether that is due to increased costs for the real estate along the freeway, or just taking advantage of the convenience factor. Or possibly both?

henryn said:

I have been aware of that for years. I'm not sure whether that is due to increased costs for the real estate along the freeway, or just taking advantage of the convenience factor. Or possibly both?

Charge what the traffic will bear. If you are on a highway you don't want to drive around looking for bargain gas. The same with rental cars....they cost a lot more if you get one at the airport. People will pay for convenience.

Years ago,a local gas station/repair business owner told me he was closing his business and moving to Florida. The landlord(Exxon) was going to up the rent by a large amount and he couldn't afford it.
    Soon after the business closed, the building was razed and more pumps were put up along with a Dunkin Donuts/convenience store.
    Latest Ford Recalls:
    Ford is asking the owners of 350,000 vehicles in to take them to dealers for repairs in three recalls, including about 39,000 that should be parked outdoors because the engines can catch fire.
    Ford says it’s not instructing owners to stop driving the SUVs, although those who might not be able to follow the park outdoors instructions should contact their dealer or the company.

The automaker also is recalling about 310,000 heavy-duty trucks because the driver’s air bag may not inflate in a crash.

And the company is recalling 464 electric Mustang Mach-E SUVs from 2021. A software problem can cause unintended acceleration, deceleration or a loss of drive power in all-wheel-drive vehicles.

I kind of like those Lincoln SUVs but I don't want a car that can catch on fire........especially when they can't figure out how they are happening.

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,461

Years ago,a local gas station/repair business owner told me he was closing his business and moving to Florida. The landlord(Exxon) was going to up the rent by a large amount and he couldn't afford it.
    Soon after the business closed, the building was razed and more pumps were put up along with a Dunkin Donuts/convenience store.

————————————————

Second only to gas I heard “America runs on Duncan.” In Canada I guess it’s Tim Hortons.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312

Today I attended the opening of “The Power of M” exhibit at the BMW Car Club Foundation’s museum. Never mind the outstanding display, it’s always good to see some old friends.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

edited May 2022
    driver100 said:

Latest Ford Recalls:
    Ford is asking the owners of 350,000 vehicles in to take them to dealers for repairs in three recalls, including about 39,000 that should be parked outdoors because the engines can catch fire.
    Ford says it’s not instructing owners to stop driving the SUVs, although those who might not be able to follow the park outdoors instructions should contact their dealer or the company.

The automaker also is recalling about 310,000 heavy-duty trucks because the driver’s air bag may not inflate in a crash.

And the company is recalling 464 electric Mustang Mach-E SUVs from 2021. A software problem can cause unintended acceleration, deceleration or a loss of drive power in all-wheel-drive vehicles.

I kind of like those Lincoln SUVs but I don't want a car that can catch on fire........especially when they can't figure out how they are happening.

I got a recall for something to do with backup camera wiring but they have no parts so “they’ll call me”. At least it’s not for the engine blowing up like the Kia.

driver100 said:

Latest Ford Recalls:

I got a recall for something to do with backup camera wiring but they have no parts so “they’ll call me”. At least it’s not for the engine blowing up like the Kia.
    Well, engines catching on fire isn't a good thing either.
    And, at least you have a backup camera! :p

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Well….that didn’t take long….

I think we all saw this coming. Dealerships don’t have the foresight to see anything past their nose…particularly Ford.

https://www.carscoops.com/2022/05/should-carmakers-replace-msrps-with-set-prices/
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    edited May 2022

@graphicguy said:
    Well….that didn’t take long….

I think we all saw this coming. Dealerships don’t have the foresight to see anything past their nose…particularly Ford.

https://www.carscoops.com/2022/05/should-carmakers-replace-msrps-with-set-prices/

They aren’t doing themselves any favors. If they don’t stop it will be a short term gain but long term loss. I am standing on the hill saying once they are able to the manufacturers will be pumping out inventory as fast as they can.

All it is going to take is one manufacturer to stick it to the dealers and start direct sales and all will follow suit.

Further thoughts… Does anyone blame the manufacturers for being upset about all this? They are selling less cars than ever at more or less the same price as they have been while the dealers are making a killing. I’m sure the captive finance companies are doing better with less subsidized leases and interest rates, but that’s about it.

Finally a beach day! First really nice day of the season.

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,084
    I don’t want to hear about it. My backyard this morning:

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

@Michaell
    Dude that seriously stinks this late into May.

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,461
    tjc78 said:

Finally a beach day! First really nice day of the season.

————————————————
    The forecast for the Burgh today is near 90 F. All I need is a beach but that ain’t gonna happen so I’ll just break in the deck for a new season and celebrate with a few Yuengling’s. It could be worse like having a few Iron City’s.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    We are supposed to be in the low to mid 90's today and tomorrow.