Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,937
    tifighter said:

It is shockingly clean back there.

Yeah, I’m liking what I have to work with so far-

That is incredibly nice. My kind of vehicle.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    tifighter said:

Amazingly nice condition. Well done!
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,357
    tifighter said:

Looks like you have a great platform and plenty of room for your overlanding goodies! I’m excited to see the build.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    tifighter said:

Will the Montero run on RUG?

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,698
    After our London vacation and then a quick trip to Houston this past week for work, I’m finally catching up a bit.

First off, I’ll share this one picture from England…we took a couple night break from London to take a train down to a coastal town in the south. It was incredible walking along the cliffs right on the coast. We logged 15 miles walking one day.

Congrats to @tifighter - the Mitsubishi looks incredible. What a great find.

And @qbrozen - congrats on the Alfa and you’d obviously be incredible working in the auto industry in some form. I think I may try my hand at being a broker as a retirement job when the time comes.

On the Elantra N…I’m just not a fan of the exterior styling. I much prefer the Veloster.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

breld said:

After our London vacation and then a quick trip to Houston this past week for work, I’m finally catching up a bit.

First off, I’ll share this one picture from England…we took a couple night break from London to take a train down to a coastal town in the south. It was incredible walking along the cliffs right on the coast. We logged 15 miles walking one day.

And @qbrozen - congrats on the Alfa and you’d obviously be incredible working in the auto industry in some form. I think I may try my hand at being a broker as a retirement job when the time comes.

On the Elantra N…I’m just not a fan of the exterior styling. I much prefer the Veloster.

Alfa?? Did I miss something?

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,237
    Stretched the legs on the Prius this morning, and the hybrid battery seems to be working fine so far as I can tell. I probably need to make it a point of taking it on a longer drive every few weeks.
    Forgot to add--the sound deadening seems to have helped a little at lower speeds. On the concrete interstate or rough asphalt at higher speeds, the tire noise is still overwhelming, as you'd expect.
  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,466
    corvette said:

Forgot to add--the sound deadening seems to have helped a little at lower speeds. On the concrete interstate or rough asphalt at higher speeds, the tire noise is still overwhelming, as you'd expect.

Have you tried nitrogen? It’s proponents claim it’s the best thing for tires since sliced bread. :o

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,562
    jmonroe1 said:

corvette said:

Have you tried nitrogen? It’s proponents claim it’s the best thing for tires since sliced bread. :o

jmonroe
    Does sliced bread quiet tire noise?😂

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,032

@oldfarmer50 said:

It might if you line the fender wells with it. 😄

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

jmonroe1 said:

corvette said:

jmonroe
    ————————————————-
    I think so. :p

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891

@au1994 said:

Probably just some confusion with all the cars I been talkin bout. Lol.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    edited May 2022
    Man, the orange Bug sold yesterday right as I was moving to do something. $3,500 and it had everything the Bug's selling for $5,000 had. I'm actually starting to want to just hold with the Soul LX and look passively at Fiat 500 Pop's. Some 500's (with a stick, of course) with say 70,000 to 120,000 miles on them are selling in the $4,000 - $6,000 range. I think stickguy's thoughts on those vintage Bug's being slow and such might be true. And no A/C in the vintage Bug's is almost a problem if you're a desert rat like mysef. I love the Bug's but...I don't know. I need to think and surf and think some more. I may hold with the one rig, that I might.

I'm in a holding pattern but feel I need to land my plane fairly soon. Like in the next couple of hours, and, just be cool with what I have. I do love my '21 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick in Sparkling Silver and black trim. I was bummed out when that orange Bug located in Clovis, NM, sold. It had 16 people saving it on Facebook Marketplace so I knew I had plenty of competition. The red Bug selling in Albuquerque is still available at $5,000. It's had a recent engine rebuild and the body looks good - the red paint is faded but that's no big deal. The passenger seat has a gaping hole in it but I'd figure that one up. I'd go talk to the Auto Upholstery people in town here about that.

I don't wanna say no to the idea but it's looking like I'm turning the engine off for a while and resting.

Hey, did you guys hear about that Chinese commercial jet a few months ago that crashed (someone caught video of it going straight vertically down and crashing)? Officials from I'm assuming China are thinking that it was intentional. They stopped short of guessing if it was pilot suicide or some kind of terrorist deal. Anyone know about that?

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

@qbrozen said:

@au1994 said:

Probably just some confusion with all the cars I been talkin bout. Lol.

Apparently. You did bid on an Alfa, right?

@breld said:

Apparently. You did bid on an Alfa, right?

There were a couple that took everything in me to resist

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,440
    speaking of bugs I saw on on I287 in NJ today. tan, but looked extremely clean. On a trailer being towed behind an F150 (no way that was keeping up with the flow of traffic up the big hills!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

I also saw a Maverick in oncoming traffic today. Looked like an XL in Velocity Blue, but I couldn't get a good look.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132

jmonroe1 said:

corvette said:

jmonroe
    Only the whole wheat varieties.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

This is a 2012 Fiat 500 Pop 5-speed stick sampling I found over near San Diego. The dealer wants only $4,995. It has good tread on it, cold A/C, an AM/FM CD player (gotta have this - I don't see a USB slot yet in the pictures, though, I will keep looking).

90,924 miles on it - lower than anything else on Autotrader, which is where I found this one. I looked up the 0-60 time and Motor Trend says 9.7 seconds. Whoever owned this one treated it well, I have a link to the CARFAX so I'll be doing my due diligence on everything I can get me hands on.

If I were to buy a Bug I'd have less confidence the car would hold up, plus rust issues, no A/C, etc. This is a modern version of the Bug to me that I could still get in a standard transmission and have fun in. I'm going to watch some YouTube videos from Fiat 500 enthusiasts - those are the best kind of car videos to watch - those of enthusiasts of the car you're interested in, so you get the real scoop on the rig and no biased bullsnot about it.

I read a review last night from a girl who loved hers but she had some sort of trouble with one of the rear wheels coming apart from the suspension in some way - odd complaint - other than that she traded hers in but wasn't mad at the car. I'm just starting to research this car and I look at everything I can find on them online. We'll see but this one sparks my interest the most of anything out there right now. New isn't an option - I don't want another new car - I want a used one.

Happy Motoring - I'm going in to research mode. I also have to hook up a 3/4" hose to our utility pump and pump out the water of our hot tub. Mrs. iluvmysephia one says its time to empty it out, clean everything up and refill and centralize all the numbers on the water's cleanliness. We do this twice a year. I've only been in it 3 times - same as hotels - she'll go swimming and I'll play Roger Clemens MVP baseball on my Game Boy Advance (circa 1992 - still working like an absolute champ). She got $3,000 inherited from her FIL from Chicago and we used $7,000 from our IRA to buy that thing - with everything added up it was a tad over $10,000.

So I can take $5,000 and get myself a little toy to play with. Heck, you only go round once in life - enjoy it while you can, boys! No trepidation required.

90K miles and 0-60 in 9.7 seconds…. Let that soak in for a few minutes.

I don't get what you mean. You're thinking the engine is shot already?

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373

@iluvmysephia1 said:

I don't get what you mean. You're thinking the engine is shot already?

You mentioned something about buying a “fun” car. 0-60 in 9.7 seconds isn’t my idea of fun. That’s all I was saying.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

breld said:

Stunning view!

And, I agree about the Elantra N styling.
    nyccarguy said:

————————————————
    Thanks for the highlight, I didn’t read that far. I’m wore out with all these fantasies.

jmonroe
    edited May 2022
    You mentioned something about buying a “fun” car. 0-60 in 9.7 seconds isn’t my idea of fun. That’s all I was saying.

Gotcha. Well, I drive a 2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick and I can go 0-60 in 8.8 seconds. So I'd only be .9 of a second slower. And that would be OK with me - I am not a speed racer type when I drive, when I work, when I look up and research car specs and car reviews, and that sort of thing. When people at work would complain that I was slow I would tell them "Hey, I've got two speeds. Slow and stop." And they'd laugh but I knew inside that that is me. I'm not fast. That can help you and hurt you. This car should be there when I'm guessing I'll be ready to go get it - about a week. If not, come se come sa.

I like this car because it's small and it's cute. And it's modernized over the vintage VW Bug. I just learned from a review on The Car Connection that the car's equipped with a USB hub. Nice. Dealer says it blows very cold air from its A/C. These are the things I've been thinking about comparing this car to the vintage Bug. This Fiat 500 Pop has a clean CARFAX history and no accident history. Check.

Fiat 500 Pop

Nothing to scare me off from this one. Yet. And for a 10 year old car the owner (I believe it's a one-owner car but I'm going to deep-dive later today in to the CARFAX ) kept the paint surface up really well. If I buy this car I'm going to wash, dry and wax it right away to keep that deep, spunky blue looking that way.

Coming back east on I-10 the trucks are gonna look at me like a target in the slow lane!

nyccarguy said:

Just in case anybody was wondering how many 1.5 cubic yard bags of mulch fit into a 4Xe, the answer is 40.

There’s got to be a Jeep forum somewhere that would love to see those pics. I personally love it!

Oh this is cool. From the horse's mouths themselves about VW Beetle airtight construction.

The Fiat is balls of fun, even with the base engine. But, I want to point out that we paid only $7k for an automatic convertible 2013 with 20k miles in Nov 2020.

nyccarguy said:

Just in case anybody was wondering how many 1.5 cubic yard bags of mulch fit into a 4Xe, the answer is 40.

There’s got to be a Jeep forum somewhere that would love to see those pics. I personally love it!
    Looks like you have fun yard work ahead of you. The seats in the Jeep look comfortable and I like the saddle color. Where is your cowboy hat?

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    @nyccarguy,
    I hope you got the $10 for 5 bags deal on that!
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    edited May 2022
    The Fiat is balls of fun, even with the base engine. But, I want to point out that we paid only $7k for an automatic convertible 2013 with 20k miles in Nov 2020.

So I should offer something more like $2,995 for it, qbrozen? I mean, pound for pound, sounds fair to me to offer that. How about $3,000? What would you offer, q?

Also, how did she work out for you guys mechanically? I'm guessin' it was sound as a pound. And did you feel overwhelmed on the freeway, or did you just punch it extra hard and just keep up as best as you could? Cool. I've got a credible reference for this car right in the Edmunds forums! B)

q, where did you buy yours? From a private party? Maybe it's the post-COVID-19 car price rise thing going on but this is the best deal I've found yet, on any search engine. I'll keep looking. But if the dealer would bite on a $3,000 offer we'd have a deal. $3,000 bucks?

I mean, what else can you guys buy for $3,000? A Bon Jovi concert ticket and some Molson Light's? And a taxi ride? See what I mean?

To me? Yeah, I mean, I guess $3k for a running car isn’t going to hurt anyone.

No mechanical issues, really. Some trim has needed resecuring, and some electrical glitches. Nothing earth shattering.

Yes, bought from private party.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373

@explorerx4 said:
    @nyccarguy,

You know I did. Although I bumped into a friend of my wife’s who was picking up some mulch. I pointed out to her that the Mulch I was buying is cheaper as she was taking the Mulch that was still cheap, just not on loss leader special. She showed me her bags were 2 cubic feet instead of mine which were 1.5 cubic feet. Therefore here were cheaper per cubic foot.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

nyccarguy said:

@explorerx4 said:
    @nyccarguy,

You know I did. Although I bumped into a friend of my wife’s who was picking up some mulch. I pointed out to her that the Mulch I was buying is cheaper as she was taking the Mulch that was still cheap, just not on loss leader special. She showed me her bags were 2 cubic feet instead of mine which were 1.5 cubic feet. Therefore here were cheaper per cubic foot.

I hate it when folks read the fine print and then rub it in. :#

jmonroe
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    @nyccarguy,
    Some of that off brand or house brand mulch is pretty junky, can have some weird stuff in it.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    @28firefighter - sounds like it's time to pull the trigger on a Mach-E.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,440
    isn't that supposed to replace the Tesla?

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,334

@corvette said:
    @28firefighter - sounds like it's time to pull the trigger on a Mach-E.

I can’t find one.

2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible

The Infiniti left my wife stranded at the supermarket this morning. Bad crankshaft position sensor. I replaced it in the lot, but she is not amused.

Buh-bye…

At least it would be at my house.

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,334

Yeah. That’s how it’s looking.

2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
    To me? Yeah, I mean, I guess $3k for a running car isn’t going to hurt anyone.

No mechanical issues, really. Some trim has needed resecuring, and some electrical glitches. Nothing earth shattering.

Yes, bought from private party.

$3,000 for one of those spunky little cars is a bargain. Even if it has 100,000 miles on it. Just getting started.

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,224

I thought they were asking $4995 USD for it? Doubtful they will come down to $3000 USD

The Infiniti left my wife stranded at the supermarket this morning. Bad crankshaft position sensor. I replaced it in the lot, but she is not amused.

I can only imagine. If it was my wife, she is one and done, i.e. she would not drive it again.

I’m still at the part where you were able to diagnose the issue and replace the part in the parking lot.

I’m impressed.

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,144
    sda said:

I can only imagine. If it was my wife, she is one and done, i.e. she would not drive it again.
    +1. We did that with our ‘05 VUE.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4