Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,463
    mjfloyd1 said:

@jmonroe1 said:

————————————————

I’m not a very good guesser so just tell me. To keep your membership in good standing be sure to say that is Waze talking and not you.

jmonroe

When the road T’d into Fuquay, I asked my wife what in the Fuquay I needed to turn. 😂🤣

I learned a long time ago you have to have good diction or you’d find yourself in some pretty tricky situations.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,964
    mlevine said:

It is official Little Buddy 2 passed his road test. Already making schedule of how the 4 of us will drive the 3 cars. Looked this weekend at a 4th vehicle. Prices are crazy,

I am glad I don't have to buy a car at this time. My E400 has about 34000 miles on it, MrsD100s GLK is 8 years old and has about 22000 miles on it, and the 9 year old C250 has about 34000 miles on it. I am just hoping we don't have an accident and have to look for a new or used car.

Also a lot of unknowns, what will gas prices be, how good are EVs, what will happen to prices when chips start getting made, will there be any low mileage used cars around???????

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,559
    driver100 said:

driver100 said:

Most people don't need a NAV system very often, since we aren't looking for new address. Maybe if we were real estate or delivery people. But, when you do need it you want it to work. They are expensive options usually........I like the idea of built in but I prefer WAZE on my phone.

My kid uses GPS constantly when driving for LYFT. I don’t know if a LYFT app or his phone’s system. He did figure out how to use the antique SYNC system (2010) so now he can talk on the phone through the radio.
    Can you actually make money driving for LYFT?
    Quick answer…no. As near as I can figure the model, it really is a system where you sell your vehicle to the company for a weekly payment, sort of like a reverse lease. The depreciation gradually renders your car valueless. If you take a new car and run it into the ground I’m not sure how you could come out making more than minimum wage.

What I did for my son is get him an ultra low mile (29k) fairly old car (2010) that was as fully deprecated as possible and still be eligible under LYFT’s requirements. His car will age out in 2025 and hopefully have enough value left to make a decent down payment on the next one. Only time will tell.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,559
    mlevine said:

It is official Little Buddy 2 passed his road test. Already making schedule of how the 4 of us will drive the 3 cars. Looked this weekend at a 4th vehicle. Prices are crazy,

But think of all the volunteering to run errands you’re about to get. :p

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,936
    driver100 said:

mlevine said:

I am glad I don't have to buy a car at this time. My E400 has about 34000 miles on it, MrsD100s GLK is 8 years old and has about 22000 miles on it, and the 9 year old C250 has about 34000 miles on it. I am just hoping we don't have an accident and have to look for a new or used car.

Also a lot of unknowns, what will gas prices be, how good are EVs, what will happen to prices when chips start getting made, will there be any low mileage used cars around???????
    Those are still new!

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312

driver100 said:

I don't have much luck with my built in GPS. I tried to put in a fairly easy name about 3 times the other day and it came up completely wrong...not even close to what I said. I did take a Radio & TV Arts course once and I speak pretty clear English, but the friendly GPS lady completely bungled it.

So, today I added WAZE to my phone, and it works so much better. It is easier to use, picks up my instructions easily, the directions are more sensible, nicer more friendly voice, also will warn of accidents, police cars, slow downs...I think it gives alternatives.

I read a letter to an auto column in the newspaper saying that to get an update for his 6 year old car was very expensive, and these days after a certain time they won't even update the GPS....I think WAZE is always up to date. The TV and radio stations are using it now too.

They should just build in a WAZE screen right on the instrument panel...forget about a factory GPS.

Hasn’t the use of factory NAV systems fallen off since the advent of phone based technology? I always thought it an expensive option for what you got. Never had it in any car I owned and never missed it.
    I've been very happy with the navigation system in the 2 Series. The X1 and Clubman have older systems that aren't as intuitive.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

We drove to Isle of Palms after the CCA Foundation event. I always survey the vehicle mix in the area and in IOP there's not much to get an auto enthusiast excited. 99% of the vehicles are CUVs or pickups- most all domestic or Asian- although there are a few European CUVs(no AMG, M, or S versions however). There are very few sedans and virtually no coupes or convertibles. Aside from my M235i I've only seen an F Type and an E85 Z4. A game I like to play while traveling is to try and spot cars I'd rather have than my 2er, and in IOP I have yet to find one.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• mlevinemlevine Member Posts: 581
    oldfarmer50
    Problem with Little Buddy 2 is he will only run errands if he or girlfriend need something for themselves.
    I got these tombstone messages;

In a Ribbesford, England, cemetery:

Anna Wallace

The children of Israel wanted bread,

And the Lord sent them manna.

Clark Wallace wanted a wife,

And the Devil sent him Anna.

============================== =

In a Uniontown, Pennsylvania, cemetery:

Here lies the body of Jonathan Blake,

Stepped on the gas instead of the brake.
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    There were more, but those were the best :)

sda said:

driver100 said:

mlevine said:

Those are still new!
    Yeh, but they could get wiped out in an accident......not a good time for that to happen.

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Saw this in the wild today….

2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435

Looks like a very intelligent buyer!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,253
    Plate is Mavie 1
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    I knew the The Maverick was small. In person, it was even smaller than I expected. Easy to see why it’s a hit. Pretty much the Swiss Army knife of what someone would use a vehicle for everyday, including hauling.

Why get an F-150 for light hauling duty when you could spend a whole lot less, get a whole lot better MPG, and get this.
    It looks small parked next to an F150. But it really isn’t small. Roughly the same size as an Odyssey. Maybe 2” shorter and narrower? I consider it pretty big. The square shape and moderate width though make it drive smaller!

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,852

So being lazy and not looking it up… must be pretty close to Ridgeline sized, correct?

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

tjc78 said:

So being lazy and not looking it up… must be pretty close to Ridgeline sized, correct?

Looked smaller, to me. Don’t know if you can tell from the pic, but it was parked next to an older Altima, and the Maverick was barely longer than it.

Specs….

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2022-ford-maverick-vs-2021-honda-ridgeline-specs-comparison/
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,852

Thanks GG. Good read

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    tjc78 said:

A stretched Escape?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Ridgeline is a good foot longer and quite a bit wider.

Maverick is basically a bronco sport with a longer wheelbase and maybe 18” in length.

I knew the The Maverick was small. In person, it was even smaller than I expected. Easy to see why it’s a hit. Pretty much the Swiss Army knife of what someone would use a vehicle for everyday, including hauling.

Why get an F-150 for light hauling duty when you could spend a whole lot less, get a whole lot better MPG, and get this.

It was lucky Ford came to the market with this truck just when gas is about $5 a gallon. But Ford's Ranger was a compact truck and it didn't do too well. The Maverick does look bigger and more substantial than the Ranger.
    It looks really nice and might be the right truck at the right time....how does that little window in the back window work?

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,686
    Took the CX-5 to NY/NJ this weekend. Costco in CT, $4.56/RUG on the way down. BJs in MA on the way home, $4.52/RUG. CX-5 does get good mpg.
    PUG at BJs will be $5 for the atomic Audi. Well, as of Sunday...

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    driver100 said:

The Maverick does look bigger and more substantial than the Ranger.
    It looks really nice and might be the right truck at the right time....how does that little window in the back window work?

If it's like the F150, and I imagine it is, that is a sliding power window. You have a button up front to open or close. On a pleasant day, you can open that rear window, crack the front windows, and have a really nice breeze without a lot of noise. And it doesn't take away head room, like a moonroof.

2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,253
    It's mostly downhill from the dealer on my way home.
    MPG always looks good after a visit. Halfway home.

2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    @henryn
    Oh, kind of like my Dad's 65 Mercury.

That rear window made a lot of sense, fresh air, higher roof line, no snow to brush off........everything old is new again.

Little window slides to the side. Power in the lariat, manual on lower trims.

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,936
    I changed the air cabin filter in the TL last Saturday. It uses the same filter as what fit my 13 Accord. U-Tube was a great help as it was a fairly involved process. It wasn’t just squeezing the two sides of the glove box door to drop it to access the filter, oh no. It required the step mentioned plus removing push pins, then two 8mm bolts then prying the glove box compartment away from the dash which took some effort. I was afraid I might break it. Getting it back in position was an effort too. What a bust in the tail. Mission accomplished and the filter replaced was dirty.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    driver100 said:

Anna Wallace

"There were more, but those were the best.
    I'll leave it to you, to go find the rest."

There. I finished it for you! LOL

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

edited May 2022

We drove to Isle of Palms after the CCA Foundation event. I always survey the vehicle mix in the area and in IOP there's not much to get an auto enthusiast excited. 99% of the vehicles are CUVs or pickups- most all domestic or Asian- although there are a few European CUVs(no AMG, M, or S versions however). There are very few sedans and virtually no coupes or convertibles. Aside from my M235i I've only seen an F Type and an E85 Z4. A game I like to play while traveling is to try and spot cars I'd rather have than my 2er, and in IOP I have yet to find one.

Aaaaah. Isle of Palms. My first visit to Charleston in 1967 spring break from Miami. Went to public beaches that were there then on the Isle of P but have all been turned private I'm told.

Came home with a terrible sunburn on my ankles. Durn sun. In pain the whole flight to Atlanta then Cincy. I recall flight CHS to ATL was awful because of stop in Columbia. Stewardesses never left seats in rear of plane because we were in a weather front that had caused tornadoes in Alabama/Georgia the night before. Barf bags were in use by other folks. Pilot thought he was driving a sports car instead of a DC9.

driver100 said:

Anna Wallace

"There were more, but those were the best.
    I'll leave it to you, to go find the rest."

There. I finished it for you! LOL

Thanks imid, and you even did it "without a request".
    (I know, a bit of a stretch)

@sda said:
    I changed the air cabin filter in the TL last Saturday. It uses the same filter as what fit my 13 Accord. U-Tube was a great help as it was a fairly involved process. It wasn’t just squeezing the two sides of the glove box door to drop it to access the filter, oh no. It required the step mentioned plus removing push pins, then two 8mm bolts then prying the glove box compartment away from the dash which took some effort. I was afraid I might break it. Getting it back in position was an effort too. What a bust in the tail. Mission accomplished and the filter replaced was dirty.

The cabin filter in the Clubman is dead easy. The filter in the ti is an ordeal.

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    FINALLY hit 70 yesterday! First day wearing shorts. Cooled down today and it could rain on Thursday. What else is new!
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729

andres3 said:

If you read the fine print about pandemic "traffic fatalities are up" articles you'll see it's almost all due to increased drunk driving and drinking.

COVID has literally DROVE people to drink more. Pardon the pun.

Gee the ones I have read attributed it to the roads being far less congested and people gunning it down near empty roads.
    Drunks gunning it down empty roads. The people like me driving sober gunning it down empty roads are still here to write about it.

If CA has a 97% compliance rate with seat belt laws, yet those 3% still cause half the fatalities blamed on speed, do you really think there is a connection here? Drunks are similar, though usually comes in around 37% rather than 49%.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,290
    andres3 said:

andres3 said:

If you read the fine print about pandemic "traffic fatalities are up" articles you'll see it's almost all due to increased drunk driving and drinking.

COVID has literally DROVE people to drink more. Pardon the pun.

Gee the ones I have read attributed it to the roads being far less congested and people gunning it down near empty roads.
    Drunks gunning it down empty roads. The people like me driving sober gunning it down empty roads are still here to write about it.
    Some are, some are not. I know people who were sober gunning it down empty roads that are no longer here due to that.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

Strange thing happened today while I was mowing the lawn after work today. My next door neighbor had something delivered by someone in what looked like his personal vehicle. The guy dropped off the package took a picture with his cell phone after ringing the door bell and left. But the strange thing was as soon as he drove on my neighbors driveway my mower started to act up, like it was about to run out of gas. I knew that wasn't the case as I always check the gas before starting. But as soon as that delivery guy left my mower stopped acting up and ran fine. Really weird the timing of it all.

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,463

Strange thing happened today while I was mowing the lawn after work today. My next door neighbor had something delivered by someone in what looked like his personal vehicle. The guy dropped off the package took a picture with his cell phone after ringing the door bell and left. But the strange thing was as soon as he drove on my neighbors driveway my mower started to act up, like it was about to run out of gas. I knew that wasn't the case as I always check the gas before starting. But as soon as that delivery guy left my mower stopped acting up and ran fine. Really weird the timing of it all.

You’re not going to believe this but that was an alien whose force field temporarily disrupts the flash point of gasoline in gas powered lawn mowers.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    Got a letter from a Hyundai dealership stating that due to my timely payments on my Sonata I am qualified to get out of my lease and into a new Hyundai. They even mentioned my 2011 Sonata in the letter. Little do they know I haven't made a payment on that car in over 5 years. But the interesting thing is the dealership is an hour and a half away in another state. Don't they check zip codes when doing these mailings?

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,221

I saw two funny license plates in the last couple of days.

1). “EW COVID”

2). Mach E with “NO MUSK”

Saw a ZHP convertible this evening, it looked to be well maintained.

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,221

@snakeweasel said:

Definitely start wearing a tin foil hat🤣😂

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    venture said:

I need to re-home a dog. It's a small terrier and it tends to bark a lot.

If you're interested, let me know and I'll jump over my neighbor's fence and get it for you.

Props on a fantastic joke

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289

Amazon is paying people to make deliveries in their personal vehicles. Kinda sorta like driving for Uber, but different. I was talking to one young woman who delivered a package to me, and she said they pay REALLY well (emphasis hers).
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica

Put on a tin foil hat when you mow the lawn.

@mjfloyd1 beat me to it.
    A tin foil hat should do it.

To everyone talking about the Maverick. This is a Maverick:

This is an abomination unto the Lord.

My wife had a Maverick. Not as fancy as this one. I remember her calling me to come help her and her then housemate (before we were married) because the muffler and tailpipe were dragging on the road. Piece of junk, IMHO.

I've seen that in this area.

• jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    edited May 2022

Took possession of my daughter's 2007 Kia Optima, which I had bought her the summer before her senior year in high school, nearly 10 years ago. I'm selling it for her.

Pros: Only 2 owners. Only 150,000 miles. Most matienence records. Has been extremely reliable. Interior in good shape. Good tires and brakes.

Cons: Exterior looks....bad. Clear coat flaking
    off hood, 60% of it gone. Noticeable long crease and scratch along passenger side door. Paint faded in spots on roof. Check engine light has been on for years. Took it to dealership and independent. They don't know. Possible fuse loose underneath dash as instrument cluster goes out intermittently. Broken interior door handle.

So, would you do a bit fixing up, or say it's not worth the aggravation and sell as is? I already have an interior door handle. Easy fix. Could replace hood or just sand and spray clearcoat on it. May be able to fix that loose connection, if it's the fuse I'm thinking of. Check engine light a big negative.

I was thinking around $2,000 if my son's girlfriend wants it, around $3,500 private party. Is that realistic, or am I dreaming?

2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,090
    jipster said:

Took possession of my daughter's 2007 Kia Optima, which I had bought her the summer before her senior year in high school, nearly 10 years ago. I'm selling it for her.

Pros: Only 2 owners. Only 150,000 miles. Most matienence records. Has been extremely reliable. Interior in good shape. Good tires and brakes.

Cons: Exterior looks....bad. Clear coat flaking

off hood, 60% of it gone. Noticeable long crease and scratch along passenger side door. Paint faded in spots on roof. Check engine light has been on for years. Took it to dealership and independent. They don't know. Possible fuse loose underneath dash as instrument cluster goes out intermittently. Broken interior door handle.

So, would you do a bit fixing up, or say it's not worth the aggravation and sell as is? I already have an interior door handle. Easy fix. Could replace hood or just sand and spray clearcoat on it. May be able to fix that loose connection, if it's the fuse I'm thinking of. Check engine light a big negative.

I was thinking around $2,000 if my son's girlfriend wants it, around $3,500 private party. Is that realistic, or am I dreaming?

I think you're selling yourself short.

$5K is the new $3K. None of the repair items seem to be too expensive to deal with, so I'd invest the time and money and tack on another $500 to the asking price.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4