Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    if you are making money on the moves, does not sound like a problem to me.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

CHBS time again. Got another bid in on a house that we saw yesterday. Typical for these days. listing came up Thursday night late, so I asked our agent (we were out looking with her Friday AM) to see it too. Showings started Saturday and we got 1st slot at 8:30 (double booked apparently since another agent was there too). we liked it so planned to bid.

by this morning, our agent said the listing agent told her they already had offers in so final deadline was 7:30 tonight. so we bid (over ask of course) and wait to hear.

frustrating and expensive, but at least the process moves quick! But if you are somebody that likes to take time to think things over and analyze, you don't belong in this market.

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    sda said:

The Infiniti left my wife stranded at the supermarket this morning. Bad crankshaft position sensor. I replaced it in the lot, but she is not amused.

I can only imagine. If it was my wife, she is one and done, i.e. she would not drive it again.
    My wife will tolerate 1 or 2 issues- especially if I'm able to fix them.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

my wife is probably down to 1 significant issue. problem is she has the fancy car which is not going anywhere, and I know she isn't taking my car.

though these days not much of an issue since she barely drives anyplace anyway.

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,698
    @28firefighter - sounds like a great deal on the Elantra! Any idea when it’s due in?

@stickguy - best of luck on the house!

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,559
    stickguy said:

CHBS time again. Got another bid in on a house that we saw yesterday. Typical for these days. listing came up Thursday night late, so I asked our agent (we were out looking with her Friday AM) to see it too. Showings started Saturday and we got 1st slot at 8:30 (double booked apparently since another agent was there too). we liked it so planned to bid.

by this morning, our agent said the listing agent told her they already had offers in so final deadline was 7:30 tonight. so we bid (over ask of course) and wait to hear.

frustrating and expensive, but at least the process moves quick! But if you are somebody that likes to take time to think things over and analyze, you don't belong in this market.

Paying over sticker for a car would drive me crazy. Paying over ask for a house would make my head explode.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,463

@tifighter said:
    Constructive feedback- Next time if you’re going to post 17 pics from an ad, just post a link to the ad. Scrollapalooza, especially from a mobile device. At least no one quoted it all in a reply.

———————————————

Probably an indication folks have lost interest already.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,333

@breld said:
    @28firefighter - sounds like a great deal on the Elantra! Any idea when it’s due in?

@stickguy - best of luck on the house!

In theory 5/29, but who knows with transport these days.

2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,498
    tifighter said:

Next time if you’re going to post 17 pics from an ad, just post a link . . .

Or you could talk to the wall.

'08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    breld said:

The Infiniti left my wife stranded at the supermarket this morning. Bad crankshaft position sensor. I replaced it in the lot, but she is not amused.

I’m still at the part where you were able to diagnose the issue and replace the part in the parking lot.

I’m impressed.
    +1 @28firefighter

Excellent job diagnosing the problem, fixing the car in the parking lot, then securing a replacement in record time.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    sda said:

I can only imagine. If it was my wife, she is one and done, i.e. she would not drive it again.
    Bought an '03 BMW 325i for my wife on a Saturday. 7 months old. She drove it to work on Monday, and it left her stranded in the parking lot at work. :)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,253
    After driving home her new SHO is 1996, my wife went to the store.
    When she came out the car was dead.
    I had no idea what the problem was until I jiggled one of the battery cables. It needed to be tighten.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,851

Only car to strand my wife was the 08 Elantra. It was only a battery so the car got a pass.

When the 09 Genesis stranded me/us a handful of times she wouldn’t drive it. They did finally fix it and the rest of time I had it everything was fine but ….

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,027
    nyccarguy said:

breld said:

I’m still at the part where you were able to diagnose the issue and replace the part in the parking lot.

I’m impressed.
    +1 @28firefighter

Excellent job diagnosing the problem, fixing the car in the parking lot, then securing a replacement in record time.
    Keeping a large box full of spares and a tool kit in the trunk of any 15 year-old Infiniti pays off! :D

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665

stickguy said:

Paying over sticker for a car would drive me crazy. Paying over ask for a house would make my head explode.
    I’m still amazed at people buying used cars for a price that is over what they cost new. It’s amazing to me what I’m seeing used cars sell for overall, right now. It’s worse than the price gouging on new cars, and that’s pretty bad, currently.

2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    edited May 2022

Slow morning at work today since a ton of people are at a show.

What else to do but look at some broker “deals” on LH

These are all 36 or 39 months / 10K a year with just first and broker fee if applicable due at signing. Include 6.625% NJ tax

TLX Tech - $43645 (5% discount) $703 /month
    Q50 Luxe - $45999 (6.6% discount) $698
    Camry XLE V6 - $39000 (0% discount) $710
    330XI (order) - $46800 (6.25% discount) $716
    Sonata Limited - $36,069 (?) $552

Paying $600/month for 3 years to own the Maverick doesn’t seem so bad after all!

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    edited May 2022
    Wife agreed with me that the Wrangler is a little small for our needs. Of course, that would be solved with the Sprinter, but let's not think about that. Let's instead think about replacing the Wrangler. lol. As you know, I've already been eyeballing JDM stuff for this purpose. Well, maybe you knew. Anyway, after digging a little, as cool as they are, it appears to me the Land Cruiser Prado is actually no larger than a 4-door Wrangler. So that leaves me with the Pajero ... OR, my new fascination, a Nissan Safari. It is just so darned cool looking. Far rarer, though, at least at the auctions. I was in love with one at the end of last week, but a manual transmission kept me from bidding. This isn't that one, but just a pic to help visualize why I want one. :)

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

@nyccarguy said:
    +1 @28firefighter

They are known for going out and my BIL had an extra from when his went. It’s accessible from the top back of the engine with the air box off, so I got lucky on both the supply and repair pieces.

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,936
    When we bought new the 99 Passat 1.8t to replace her 97 Altima my wife was truly excited about her new ride. A few days later and less than 100 mile on it, it acts up, speedometer, all gauges max out, all dash lights lit up and it won’t accelerate. She pulls of the road, calls me very upset. She restarted it and all was fine. I had the dealer pick it up and they gave us a loaner. Who knew they couldn’t find any issue. My wife was scared to drive it so I did for a week. It took a while for her to build confidence to drive it again. It never acted up again. She loved that car.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,698
    My mom drives an '01 Passat 1.8T (the 2001.5 model where they facelifted it mid-year). I believe it has something like 70-80k miles on it. I also had a 2000 Passat GLX (V6 manual) for a short while.

Other than the GTI, that generation Passat is one of the best models VW ever put out.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

Safari is cool. Good luck driving that to SC though.

Maybe a hitch tray for the Jeep? Or tow a small uhaul if needed for long southern road trips?

Maybe the big van finally shows up to make it easier.

stickguy said:

Maybe a hitch tray for the Jeep? Or tow a small uhaul if needed for long southern road trips?

oh, its not for SC trip, necessarily. Even going to the grandparents with 4 of us plus 2 dogs plus food is tight in the Wrangler. I went to Home Depot with my son over the weekend and it was a challenge to pack it all.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,463
    qbrozen said:

Wife agreed with me that the Wrangler is a little small for our needs. Of course, that would be solved with the Sprinter, but let's not think about that. Let's instead think about replacing the Wrangler. lol. As you know, I've already been eyeballing JDM stuff for this purpose. Well, maybe you knew. Anyway, after digging a little, as cool as they are, it appears to me the Land Cruiser Prado is actually no larger than a 4-door Wrangler. So that leaves me with the Pajero ... OR, my new fascination, a Nissan Safari. It is just so darned cool looking. Far rarer, though, at least at the auctions. I was in love with one at the end of last week, but a manual transmission kept me from bidding. This isn't that one, but just a pic to help visualize why I want one. :)

————————————————-

Is it that foggy where you live?

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    jmonroe1 said:

jmonroe

One should always be prepared for when the power grid goes down during the zombie apocalypse.

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    qbrozen said:

jmonroe1 said:

jmonroe

One should always be prepared for when the power grid goes down during the zombie apocalypse.
    That's true. I own a LOT of flashlights, and I have a big stock of candles. When the power goes out in the neighborhood, which happens once or twice a year, the neighbors show up at my door looking for candles. Last year, during the Great Texas Freeze I was a very popular guy for a couple of days.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312

@graphicguy said:
    I’m still amazed at people buying used cars for a price that is over what they cost new. It’s amazing to me what I’m seeing used cars sell for overall, right now. It’s worse than the price gouging on new cars, and that’s pretty bad, currently.

Based on my prior experience I should have known better, but I checked out the Mach 1 inventories of a few SC Ford dealers; most all were charging $4k to $5k over MSRP for cars with over 2k miles on them. And they were the base models at that.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

That’s really cool Q to go along with the vehicle.

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,936
    stickguy said:

Wish us luck people. We just had an offer accepted on a house up near old farmer. Clock is ticking on getting this place ready to list then get ready to move.

Given our abundance of stuff (not mine!) and the owner of said stuff having emotional attachment issues, this may be painful. Hopefully worth it in the end.

Congratulations!

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

Thanks I think…

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,090
    stickguy said:

Wish us luck people. We just had an offer accepted on a house up near old farmer. Clock is ticking on getting this place ready to list then get ready to move.

Given our abundance of stuff (not mine!) and the owner of said stuff having emotional attachment issues, this may be painful. Hopefully worth it in the end.

Congrats!

I get it ... now comes the hard part. I really don't want to deal with the stuff in our basement, should we decide to move.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

Congrats, @stickguy
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,027
    qbrozen said:

stickguy said:

oh, its not for SC trip, necessarily. Even going to the grandparents with 4 of us plus 2 dogs plus food is tight in the Wrangler. I went to Home Depot with my son over the weekend and it was a challenge to pack it all.
    Sounds like you need a Suburban.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

Michaell said:

stickguy said:

Congrats!

I get it ... now comes the hard part. I really don't want to deal with the stuff in our basement, should we decide to move.
    We have been making some progress down there. I can see light at end of tunnel. But pace needs to pick up.

Bigger issue is moving 4 hours away. I can’t just make multiple trips running back and forth like it it was local.

At least our upstairs is fairly well done. A bit more weeding out to donate, then just stuff to pack. We in the past mostly consolidated the stuff to sort through and weed out into the basement so at least it would all be in one place!

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,090
    stickguy said:

At least our upstairs is fairly well done. A bit more weeding out to donate, then just stuff to pack. We in the past mostly consolidated the stuff to sort through and weed out into the basement so at least it would all be in one place!

Will the new place have a basement, as well?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    edited May 2022

andres3 said:

My 2015 S4 is operating as a flawless daily since all the issues related to the HPFP failing have been resolved. 48,000 miles being crossed today. Knocking on wood.

How many miles do you have on the new engine? There is no substitute for a competent independent shop. Hope it continues to go well.

About 4,400 miles? I honestly am not worried about the engine failing within the 1 year warranty period (12K miles) so I'm not really keeping track of that number.

I'm tempted to do a Stage 1 tune since APR's stage 1 is so good (400+ HP).

Even stock it's as close to perfect a daily driver sport sedan as one can get IMHO. Gas mileage isn't great, but that's what happens when you go fast in a dual-clutch AWD 3,800 lb cruiser.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    edited May 2022
    nyccarguy said:

Gorgeous '98 Type SH with 63K miles just sold for $27K

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/3yXjWEP7/1998-honda-prelude-type-sh

$27,000 is S4 money at that mileage. And were talking 7 years old rather than 24. Even after being burned; I'd take my chances on the S4 at that money. Don't get me wrong, I like the Prelude, but it is a 4-cylinder motor with FWD.

How much was this Prelude when new?

Gives me an idea, Honda should resurrect the Prelude to beat the BRZ and be a RWD 2023 Prelude.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion

Congrats @stickguy !

If I know the market as well as I think I do you’ll sell in one weekend with multiple offers.

The “stuff” well can’t help you there other than don’t fear getting a dumpster. Faster and easier than trying to throw it away piece meal.

ab348 said:

Sounds like you need a Suburban.

That's the backup choice if the Sprinter never comes.

stickguy said:

good luck.

My brother and his fiance, out of nowhere, sold my folks' house that we kindly sold them very cheap at the end of last summer. Making quite a profit, of course, but then spending it on a smaller house further down the Parkway. Go figure.

edited May 2022

@graphicguy said:

Based on my prior experience I should have known better, but I checked out the Mach 1 inventories of a few SC Ford dealers; most all were charging $4k to $5k over MSRP for cars with over 2k miles on them. And they were the base models at that.

I had a hard enough time paying MSRP for my Honda. Then, I remembered how much I made on the Acura. Felt better.

Still, only had the Accord for a month and used prices still going up, as are new prices, with even less inventory than a month ago.

BTW...a friend of mine was at that BMW soirée you attended this weekend.....

edited May 2022

Yay!!!!! Congrats!