Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    edited May 2022
    Congrats stickguy,
    We've been throwing out/donating/giving away stuff for over a couple of months.
    Also, cleaning/fixing/replacing/painting for at least the last month.
    Guy is coming to take pictures tomorrow.
    House goes on the market in about 2 weeks.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    Thanks all. New place does have a basement. Half finished (about 500 SF) with egress window and full bath. Big plus. Plenty of storage and workbench space in the other half, and potential to make another big room, not that we need it.

We have been slowly thinning the place out since last fall. Pace is about to drastically Pick up.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,852

@stickguy said:
    Thanks all. New place does have a basement. Half finished (about 500 SF) with egress window and full bath. Big plus. Plenty of storage and workbench space in the other half, and potential to make another big room, not that we need it.

We have been slowly thinning the place out since last fall. Pace is about to drastically Pick up.

One thing I’m so happy we have is the full bathroom in the basement. Very convenient if we have guests so they don’t have to share the upstairs hall bath with my kids.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,698
    Did I miss it...what's the garage/vehicle parking situation at the new house @stickguy?

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

COVID in the northeast seems to hit harder than other parts of the country.
    I wear a mask anytime I go inside a public building.
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    mjfloyd1 said:

I’m waiting on comments about taking $7000 out of an IRA to buy a hot tub…🙃

Would have been a better financial move back in December 2021 for sure!!!!!!
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,465
    @stickguy, good luck with the move. Hope the new place is everything you and Mrs. @stickguy wanted. Man, I don’t envy you though; I think I’d rather rehab a house than move out of one.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,499
    stickguy said:

Given our abundance of stuff (not mine!) and the owner of said stuff having emotional attachment issues, this may be painful.

I don't envy you your next few weeks/months. I live with a borderline hoarder, so feel your pain. Hang in there!

'08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,559

@graphicguy said:

I’m still amazed at people buying used cars for a price that is over what they cost new. It’s amazing to me what I’m seeing used cars sell for overall, right now. It’s worse than the price gouging on new cars, and that’s pretty bad, currently.

Based on my prior experience I should have known better, but I checked out the Mach 1 inventories of a few SC Ford dealers; most all were charging $4k to $5k over MSRP for cars with over 2k miles on them. And they were the base models at that.

That is so depressing.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

stickguy said:

Wish us luck people. We just had an offer accepted on a house up near old farmer. Clock is ticking on getting this place ready to list then get ready to move.

Given our abundance of stuff (not mine!) and the owner of said stuff having emotional attachment issues, this may be painful. Hopefully worth it in the end.

That’s great news. I won’t even question why you want to live here but congratulations.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

COVID in the northeast seems to hit harder than other parts of the country.
    I wear a mask anytime I go inside a public building.

I hear monkey pox was just detected in NYC. Better break out the full body condom. :o

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,221

I’m> @explorerx4 said:

And that’s a 2021. Crazy

Yup.this place is smaller
    breld said:

Did I miss it...what's the garage/vehicle parking situation at the new house @stickguy?

2 car garage with a single door. pretty roomy. big enough driveway to park 2 cars side by side. So not getting extra garage space (that was always a long shot). But I will make do. at least it isn't a lot of acreage to shovel!

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373

Congrats @stickguy !

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,029
    stickguy said:

breld said:

2 car garage with a single door. pretty roomy. big enough driveway to park 2 cars side by side. So not getting extra garage space (that was always a long shot). But I will make do. at least it isn't a lot of acreage to shovel!
    The more important question is: do you have a jumbo-sized snowblower? Or maybe get a snowplow attachment for the Maverick!

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

I have snow shovels. Shorter driveway, should be enough.

Maybe a younger neighbor will take pity on the seniors and blow off the driveway!

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,936
    stickguy said:

Maybe a younger neighbor will take pity on the seniors and blow off the driveway!

Your local Mr Haney has you covered.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    Car shopping story:

Someone hit my wife's friend's car, while parked. Totaled it.
    2010 RAV4 with 80K miles
    Insurance paid her $14,600.

Now shopping for another used crossover. $25K-$27K range, OTD, including taxes.

Shewww.... maybe the worst time in history to shop for a car. So far, the best candidate is FWD 2017 Nissan Rogue with 23K miles. About $27K. :/

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

kyfdx said:

Car shopping story:

2010 RAV4 with 80K miles

Shewww.... maybe the worst time in history to shop for a car. So far, the best candidate is FWD 2017 Nissan Rogue with 23K miles. About $27K. :/

Wow. That's rough.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

It maybe worth spending a bit more and buying new and not a 5yr old car. Locally you can buy a new VW Taos nicely equipped, roomy like the Rogue for around $28-29k.

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,236
    edited May 2022
    sda said:

It maybe worth spending a bit more and buying new and not a 5yr old car.

That's what I was thinking, if they can find one they can get for MSRP. Payout on the 12+ year old RAV4 seems generous.
    ab348 said:

stickguy said:

breld said:

The more important question is: do you have a jumbo-sized snowblower? Or maybe get a snowplow attachment for the Maverick!
    More importantly does he have an appointment with a good rust proofing shop?

Definitely buy new.

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    kyfdx said:

Car shopping story:

2010 RAV4 with 80K miles

Might want to look at one of those Mitsubishi Outlander Sports. Have never driven one, but an acquaintance just bought one. His ‘97 Lincoln dropped a transmission. It needed numerous and sundry other things, too. One of the few times where it wasn’t worth repairing in today’s crazy market.

He kicked tires on a bunch of used vehicles. As noted, their prices are more outrageous than new vehicles.

The Mitsubishi came in at $26K, all in. Not my cup ‘o tea, but it seemed to be well equipped. Plus, from what I understand, they come with a generous new car warranty.

Might be worth a look-see!
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring

ab348 said:

stickguy said:

breld said:

I don’t go out when roads are salty.

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    @rayainsw …..Get well soon. Hope it’s a brief and non-eventful recovery!
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    @stickguy,
    Just go to the carwash once a month in the winter. You should be fine.
  • au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,356
    Ugh…We may be in the same situation as @kyfdx’s wife’s friend. My MiL hydroplaned yesterday and hit a guardrail nearly head-on. She slid through the grass so that scrubbed some speed and no airbags deployed.

She’s fine but her 2015 Forester Premium is not. Entire front is smashed and I noted that the passenger fender pushed back into the door. Last I remember it was somewhere around 80k miles as well.

She is on a fixed income so we would have to make due with whatever Progressive pays out if it is indeed totaled.
    I’m guessing that would be in the 14-16k range and a quick search says we are looking at an older CUV with more miles. She needs AWD where she lives and due to mobility, the added height of an CUV for ingress/egress.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

I'm pretty shocked the airbags didn't deploy in that collision. It looks like it was a pretty hard one.
    Glad she is OK.
  • au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,356
    I was too. Only thing I can think is the ‘guardrail’ is actually the wire type fence you see in the background.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

Might want to look at one of those Mitsubishi Outlander Sports. Have never driven one, but an acquaintance just bought one. His ‘97 Lincoln dropped a transmission. It needed numerous and sundry other things, too. One of the few times where it wasn’t worth repairing in today’s crazy market.

I was just about to suggest a Mitsu look-see as well. Not because their vehicles are great, but because I recently saw a post that stated they are one of the few manufacturers with something close to normal inventory. I guess that is an unexpected side effect of people forgetting you are still in the car business.

@stickguy,
    Just go to the carwash once a month in the winter. You should be fine.

Automatic car washes use recycled water for at least part of the wash cycle, which in the winter is full of dissolved salt. I would advise caution on that strategy.

stickguy said:

Just remember that upstate NY is not the same as the balmy climes of New Jersey. You will soon come to hate snow and snow shovels.

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,686
    Congrats and good luck, Stick.
    Ray, hopefully a full, painless recovery now that the worst is over.
    AU, glad MIL is OK.

Was in NYC over the weekend, masks were certainly not the rule, other than the small theater we were in. So, fingers and immune system crossed for us.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

edited May 2022

kyfdx said:

Car shopping story:

2010 RAV4 with 80K miles

He kicked tires on a bunch of used vehicles. As noted, their prices are more outrageous than new vehicles.

The Mitsubishi came in at $26K, all in. Not my cup ‘o tea, but it seemed to be well equipped. Plus, from what I understand, they come with a generous new car warranty.

Might be worth a look-see!
    Mitsu has been using the same CVT transmissions as Nissan. Might want to research reliability before buying especially if his last car died from tranny failure.

The Outlanders I’ve driven have nice interiors and lots of electronic features. The only negative is a tendency to wander in lane on the highway. The Outlander Sport is a smaller cheaper verson and not as nice.

rayainsw said:

I know I have missed a lot here in the past few days.
    COVID sent me to the ER Saturday night.
    [ Yup, Vaccinated & Boosted. ]
    VERY un-fun experience.
    Seem to be on the mend.
    - Ray
    Hope everyone here is doing MUCH better than me...

Get better soon my friend!

stickguy said:

ab348 said:

stickguy said:

breld said:

I don’t go out when roads are salty.
    So…you only plan on driving in July? :*

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    edited May 2022
    nyccarguy said:

@iluvmysephia1 said:

90K miles and 0-60 in 9.7 seconds…. Let that soak in for a few minutes.

I don't get what you mean. You're thinking the engine is shot already?

You mentioned something about buying a “fun” car. 0-60 in 9.7 seconds isn’t my idea of fun. That’s all I was saying.

8.8 in the Kia is actually moving, but 9.7 is a turd, even for a turtle. I believe the Neon was 8.8 from 1995, only 27 years ago.

Of course, the Neon's 0-60 time was often INFINITY, because Chrysler life.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    au1994 said:

Ugh…We may be in the same situation as @kyfdx’s wife’s friend. My MiL hydroplaned yesterday and hit a guardrail nearly head-on. She slid through the grass so that scrubbed some speed and no airbags deployed.

She’s fine but her 2015 Forester Premium is not. Entire front is smashed and I noted that the passenger fender pushed back into the door. Last I remember it was somewhere around 80k miles as well.

She is on a fixed income so we would have to make due with whatever Progressive pays out if it is indeed totaled.
    I’m guessing that would be in the 14-16k range and a quick search says we are looking at an older CUV with more miles. She needs AWD where she lives and due to mobility, the added height of an CUV for ingress/egress.

Kia Sportage AWD starts around $25K for some trims.

ab348 said:

I was just about to suggest a Mitsu look-see as well. Not because their vehicles are great, but because I recently saw a post that stated they are one of the few manufacturers with something close to normal inventory. I guess that is an unexpected side effect of people forgetting you are still in the car business.
    The local Mitsubishi dealers are adding insane market adjustment mark ups. No thanks.

andres3 said:

nyccarguy said:

Gorgeous '98 Type SH with 63K miles just sold for $27K

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/3yXjWEP7/1998-honda-prelude-type-sh

$27,000 is S4 money at that mileage. And were talking 7 years old rather than 24. Even after being burned; I'd take my chances on the S4 at that money. Don't get me wrong, I like the Prelude, but it is a 4-cylinder motor with FWD.

How much was this Prelude when new?

Gives me an idea, Honda should resurrect the Prelude to beat the BRZ and be a RWD 2023 Prelude.
    Sticker price was $26K & change when new. A $27,000 S4 doesn't interest me. I like the S4 and think it is a cool car. At it's price point and given my personal perception and experience with Audi products, I'd make sure it would be something I lease well within the boundaries of Audi's 4 year/50K warranty. Without even looking, I'm quite sure it would cost more to lease than my 4Xe Wrangler and the S4 doesn't come with a power retractable roof that opens up 3/4 of the way back:)

edited May 2022
    Anybody see how the 40th Anniversary 4Runner is equipped?

Forget it. Just a Jazzed up SR5, not even a premium

@nyccarguy said:
    Anybody see how the 40th Anniversary 4Runner is equipped?

Forget it. Just a Jazzed up SR5, not even a premium

Yeah, I don’t get that miss. Why wouldn’t they offer it on the higher trim packages.

I also see a lot of criticism of “only” 17” wheels

@rayainsw, hope you get passed this very soon and back to your old self.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    Off road rigs should have smaller wheels and bigger sidewalls.

Also I already hate snow and snow shovels. I might be spending a lot of time inside. My office will be in a nice side space in finished basement. Which also has a full bath, big screen TV and I plan to add a little bar. I could stay down there for months if my wife will deliver food!

@au1994, good to hear your MIL is OK. As expensive and inconvenient as a car accident is, walking away unharmed is more important.

We know you’ll help your MIL find a suitable replacement car but don’t think for a minute you’re going to get credit for that punch. B)

jmonroe