Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,933

Dealer can’t figure out the CEL, that’s a big problem. It won’t pass inspection and therefore not road legal and therefore a junker.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244

@qbrozen said:
    Dealer can’t figure out the CEL, that’s a big problem. It won’t pass inspection and therefore not road legal and therefore a junker.

We don't have those inspections in Kentucky anymore. Voted that nonsense out 30 years ago.

2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,975
    jipster said:

@qbrozen said:

We don't have those inspections in Kentucky anymore. Voted that nonsense out 30 years ago.

Hey Jip....I think there is a ghost beside you in your picture.
    Did you try to find a used car price on a site...I'd do it but then I'll start getting ads about how they want my KIA.
    If you are selling now is a good time...used cars are hard to find.
    Just a thought, sell it as a mechanics special....if some guy knows what he is doing the car could be worth it to him. And that way you don't have to put money into it....which may or may not pay-off. Like what if you spend money and it still doesn't run right or something else is wrong too.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,079

It would be a shame if that Check Engine light bulb were to burn out. A real shame. :p

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    jipster said:

@qbrozen said:

I don't think it's been 30 years. We've lived in this county for 24 years, and I remember taking our cars to the emissions inspection station, in this county. But, definitely 15-20 years. (thank goodness)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,975
    With inflated used car prices as they are that gives me even more incentive to take good care of the 06 TL. It has just shy of 170k, always dealer maintained and on time. I am taking it to DT today to have a tire pressure sensor replaced and tire rotation. The exterior is holding up well, I wax it 2x a yr. The interior is clean but showing wear on the seats as the leather is deteriorating, showing wear cracks but not torn, as they commonly do on TLs. Any suggestions for a nice set of seat covers? Not needed yet but I think will be needed at some point.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,644
    edited May 2022
    henryn said:

Strange thing happened today while I was mowing the lawn after work today. My next door neighbor had something delivered by someone in what looked like his personal vehicle. The guy dropped off the package took a picture with his cell phone after ringing the door bell and left. But the strange thing was as soon as he drove on my neighbors driveway my mower started to act up, like it was about to run out of gas. I knew that wasn't the case as I always check the gas before starting. But as soon as that delivery guy left my mower stopped acting up and ran fine. Really weird the timing of it all.

Amazon is paying people to make deliveries in their personal vehicles. Kinda sorta like driving for Uber, but different. I was talking to one young woman who delivered a package to me, and she said they pay REALLY well (emphasis hers).
    Sounds similar to a service called Roadie which is like Uber Eats where you deliver hard goods from places like Home Depot as an on call driver. I hope Amazon pays better because I know a couple of guys who tried it and found out like with Uber passenger service the depreciation on their vehicles made it less profitable.

What are they paying? Well, maybe not as much as they claim:

“ 'Doorbells Don't Tip'

But as with everything Amazon, there are definite downsides to Flex.

First, it’s not quite as lucrative as it sounds. Amazon claims that people can earn $18 to $25 an hour, with the average driver pulling in $20 an hour. But they’re responsible for their own expenses, like phone data and car maintenance. Those costs can snowball: Research from Sanford C. Bernstein, a subsidiary of asset management firm AllianceBernstein, found that most drivers end up earning between $5 and $11 an hour. A Bernstein report says that “Flex drivers are effectively monetizing the value of their transportation asset by getting paid cash today to make payments tomorrow.”

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    kyfdx said:

jipster said:

@qbrozen said:

I don't think it's been 30 years. We've lived in this county for 24 years, and I remember taking our cars to the emissions inspection station, in this county. But, definitely 15-20 years. (thank goodness)

I remember doing that on our side of the OHIO river, too. A real PITA. But, I do recall we had some pretty woeful air quality at the time, too. That has improved significantly.

Fact is, the company doing the testing was rife with corruption. At least up this way, they went bankrupt once they lost the contract in our area. Couldn’t have happened to a better company.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    sda said:

With inflated used car prices as they are that gives me even more incentive to take good care of the 06 TL. It has just shy of 170k, always dealer maintained and on time. I am taking it to DT today to have a tire pressure sensor replaced and tire rotation. The exterior is holding up well, I wax it 2x a yr. The interior is clean but showing wear on the seats as the leather is deteriorating, showing wear cracks but not torn, as they commonly do on TLs. Any suggestions for a nice set of seat covers? Not needed yet but I think will be needed at some point.

Before going the seat cover route, try this stuff. I’ve used it for years and am amazed at what it can do for well worn, and cracked (not torn) leather.

https://clydesleathercompany.com/
    jipster said:

Took possession of my daughter's 2007 Kia Optima, which I had bought her the summer before her senior year in high school, nearly 10 years ago. I'm selling it for her.

Pros: Only 2 owners. Only 150,000 miles. Most matienence records. Has been extremely reliable. Interior in good shape. Good tires and brakes.

Cons: Exterior looks....bad. Clear coat flaking

off hood, 60% of it gone. Noticeable long crease and scratch along passenger side door. Paint faded in spots on roof. Check engine light has been on for years. Took it to dealership and independent. They don't know. Possible fuse loose underneath dash as instrument cluster goes out intermittently. Broken interior door handle.

So, would you do a bit fixing up, or say it's not worth the aggravation and sell as is? I already have an interior door handle. Easy fix. Could replace hood or just sand and spray clearcoat on it. May be able to fix that loose connection, if it's the fuse I'm thinking of. Check engine light a big negative.

I was thinking around $2,000 if my son's girlfriend wants it, around $3,500 private party. Is that realistic, or am I dreaming?

Let’s see….15 year old car miled up beyond it’s life expectancy and beat to heck with a CEL that would make it uninspectable in many states? In this market? 10k. :D

Seriously, if you can fix the CEL, $3000 ask, accept $2500.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

ab348 said:

It would be a shame if that Check Engine light bulb were to burn out. A real shame. :p

Like every other car on Craigslist or Facebook. ‘Jipster the Curbstoner’…has a nice ring to it.

sda said:

Before going the seat cover route, try this stuff. I’ve used it for years and am amazed at what it can do for well worn, and cracked (not torn) leather.

https://clydesleathercompany.com/
    Excellent, thanks. I have used various leather cleaners, conditioners, will give a try.

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,541

kyfdx said:

jipster said:

@qbrozen said:

I remember doing that on our side of the OHIO river, too. A real PITA. But, I do recall we had some pretty woeful air quality at the time, too. That has improved significantly.

Fact is, the company doing the testing was rife with corruption. At least up this way, they went bankrupt once they lost the contract in our area. Couldn’t have happened to a better company.
    ———————————————

PA still has state safety and emissions inspection every year but it isn’t run by the state. Dealers and countless indy garages perform the inspection.

I don’t know if it’s still in effect today but I remember years ago if you failed the emissions test and you spent X dollars (I don’t remember the amount) to fix the emissions problem and the car still failed the emissions test you got a waiver for that year. Rinse and repeat for subsequent years. With all the tree huggers around today I’m sure the price has gone up considerably to keep an air polluting car on the road. Fortunately I never failed an emissions test.

When I moved to SC in ‘92 they had a safety inspection but no emissions inspection. I’ve told this story before about their farce of a safety inspection:

I pull into this run down gas station/repair shop recommended by some locals. Parked in front of the window of this place and go in and tell the guy what I want. He tells me to go out to my car and turn on my head lights and when he raised his arm I was to put on my high beams. After I did that he motioned to me to come back into the place. So help me that was it, paid about 20 bucks and he put a sticker on the windshield. I can’t remember exactly but a year or two later SC got rid of their SAFETY inspection.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    sda said:

andres3 said:

If you read the fine print about pandemic "traffic fatalities are up" articles you'll see it's almost all due to increased drunk driving and drinking.

COVID has literally DROVE people to drink more. Pardon the pun.

And not only that, people have lost what ever driving skills they had. I am amazed there aren’t more wrecks than there are.
    I credit good drivers for that. I know I avoid my fair share of "not at fault" would-be collisions had I not gone above and beyond to save a bad driver's hide.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    jipster said:

@qbrozen said:

Non-Sense = Fascism. CA has that nonsense still. I'm still scratching my head how the smog check lobby bamboozled the State to require smog checks for cars that have been recently smog checked in other States.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    edited May 2022
    jmonroe1 said:

Strange thing happened today while I was mowing the lawn after work today. My next door neighbor had something delivered by someone in what looked like his personal vehicle. The guy dropped off the package took a picture with his cell phone after ringing the door bell and left. But the strange thing was as soon as he drove on my neighbors driveway my mower started to act up, like it was about to run out of gas. I knew that wasn't the case as I always check the gas before starting. But as soon as that delivery guy left my mower stopped acting up and ran fine. Really weird the timing of it all.

You’re not going to believe this but that was an alien whose force field temporarily disrupts the flash point of gasoline in gas powered lawn mowers.

jmonroe
    Have you or anyone watched the series: Skinwalker Ranch on the History Channel? This is a non-fictional series based on a number of scientists exploring and investigating this ranch in NE Utah where things are happening like you describe above. It’s another “Area 51” and interesting.

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    Texas has a policy on emissions testing that actually makes sense. Many things in Texas don't make sense, but this one does. Emissions testing of cars is only required in those counties which have an air quality problem, which means the major metropolitan areas.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,979
    henryn said:

Texas has a policy on emissions testing that actually makes sense. Many things in Texas don't make sense, but this one does. Emissions testing of cars is only required in those counties which have an air quality problem, which means the major metropolitan areas.

The same is true in Colorado - only the urban areas have emissions testing.

Had to get the Outback tested this year - simple ODB port scan that took about 5 minutes to complete.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,347

@sda said:
    Excellent, thanks. I have used various leather cleaners, conditioners, will give a try.

Leatherique Leather Rejuvenator Oil is very good as well.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

The madness continues -- and even escalates. I just ran my 2013 F150 XL through Carvana. The highest offer yet, $15,250. I bought this truck around June of last year, for $10,500. At that time, Carvana was offering around $13k. That number has steadily marched upwards over the last year.

If there is ever going to be an end to this madness, it is not yet in sight.
    henryn said:

The madness continues -- and even escalates. I just ran my 2013 F150 XL through Carvana. The highest offer yet, $15,250. I bought this truck around June of last year, for $10,500. At that time, Carvana was offering around $13k. That number has steadily marched upwards over the last year.

If you didn’t need the truck which I believe you do, that would be very tempting to capture that profit.

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,509
    No point in selling if you need to replace it.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    edited May 2022
    henryn said:

I'm surprised. Carvana is losing prodigious amounts of money, and announced they'd be laying off employees and pulling back on advertising. Moving, warehousing and getting cars ready for sale took longer than expected, and cost more than expected. They lost an average of $3300 per car, last quarter.

You'd think they would tweak that algorithm. I think (like Zillow) that they've found their business isn't as suited to the web, as they thought.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,301
    I've watched several YT video's of people who bought cars and had to swap them several times due to defects or accident damage.
    They probably take in a lot of bad vehicles because they don't inspect them closely when they buy them.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    I have sold vehicles to Carvana and CarMax. CarMax does do a close inspection, Carvana does not. Which could (obviously) lead to problems down the line.

And no I'm not going to sell it, as tempting as the profit would be. I could live without it, but don't want to. And there is no way to replace it. I bought this to hold me over until the price on a new one returned to sane levels. Which hasn't happened, and doesn't look likely anytime soon. And right now I couldn't even order a new F150 if I wanted to. They have closed orders for 2022 models, and you can't order a 2023 until August (if memory serves).
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,933

@henryn said:

Do you really think it makes sense to assert air pollution stays exactly where it is generated?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Man, getting old is not for the faint of heart. About 10 days ago I tried to mow just a small patch of lawn with the electric push mower. That is not something I have been able to do for nearly a year as it was early summer last year when my heart problems emerged again. This time, I got it done with not a whole lot of complaint WRT the heart, but muscles and joints were stiff/sore after, not really surprising given the lack of activity I have had.

The next day my right leg (my "good" leg) was really sore. I thought at first it was my hip but in turned out to the the very top of the thigh, and I couldn't take a normal stride. That took a couple of days to improve somewhat and it really wasn't until yesterday that it seemed to go away. Today I was heading out the back door and as I passed the kitchen the sole of my shoe caught on one of those rubber anti-fatigue mats I have in the kitchen. Crikey! It felt like I broke my upper leg for a second, incredibly painful. Now it only hurts when I try to move. Obviously I tweaked something. Unbelievably frustrating.

I don't know how many of you know who Sandy Munro is but this is an interesting tour of the F150 Lightning assembly line.
    He can't help but question why things were done the way they are.
    Good questions.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5tqlXc2qdo
    qbrozen said:

@henryn said:

Do you really think it makes sense to assert air pollution stays exactly where it is generated?

No, I would never assert that. But if you have ever driven through West Texas, then you know that methane from cows is a bigger problem than car exhaust. As there are a lot more cows than there are people or cars or anything except rattlesnakes. And the cow density isn't very high either, as it takes about 40 acres to feed one cow.
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324
    henryn said:

So you made me curious so I went to Carvana (They can't do business he in Illinois for the time being but what they hey) and put in the BMW but didn't give the VIN and just put in make model and all the necessary info and they came back with $20,700, then I used my VIN and they came back saying it wasn't what they were looking for and gave an offer of $13K. Not sure whats going on. I also tried CarMax and came back with $20K and KBB came in with between $21K and $23K as a trade in which is what we paid for it.

I then tried the Sonata and Carvana was $3,800, CarMax was $4,600 and KBB had a a trade in value that hovered around $5K Not bad for a 11 year old car with 117K miles.

I am half temped to put in the Hondas VIN and see what happens.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324
    kyfdx said:

henryn said:

I'm surprised. Carvana is losing prodigious amounts of money, and announced they'd be laying off employees and pulling back on advertising. Moving, warehousing and getting cars ready for sale took longer than expected, and cost more than expected. They lost an average of $3300 per car, last quarter.

You'd think they would tweak that algorithm. I think (like Zillow) that they've found their business isn't as suited to the web, as they thought.
    Check this out;
    https://abc7chicago.com/carvana-layoffs-stock-news/11859054/

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

kyfdx said:

henryn said:

This is most definitely the "over selling" effect of people overstating the condition and quality of their vehicle. Excellent it good, good is fair, and fair is poor with people trying to sell things for a buck. The honor system just isn't going to work. This is why car sharing apps are doomed.
    Looks like Carvana underestimate how much work and slowness you have to deal with at most States' DMV. California's DMV is the reason that in the cartoon movies they made DMV workers sloths. I had to laugh at that part in a movie my daughter was watching.
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    @stickguy, congrats on the new house. If I were you I would have the basement checked for radon, before your money goes hard, at about the time you get a home inspection. If the levels come back high I would get the seller to mitigate or eradicate it at their expense.
    carnaught said:

@stickguy, congrats on the new house. If I were you I would have the basement checked for radon, before your money goes hard, at about the time you get a home inspection. If the levels come back high I would get the seller to mitigate or eradicate it at their expense.</blockquote

If I remember where he said he’s locating his area is relatively low in radon. Doesn’t hurt to check though.

I sent my agent a note since I don't recall seeing anything about it. Entirely possible it was required when the house was built which is only 2 years ago.

henryn said:

I have sold vehicles to Carvana and CarMax. CarMax does do a close inspection, Carvana does not. Which could (obviously) lead to problems down the line.

And no I'm not going to sell it, as tempting as the profit would be. I could live without it, but don't want to. And there is no way to replace it. I bought this to hold me over until the price on a new one returned to sane levels. Which hasn't happened, and doesn't look likely anytime soon. And right now I couldn't even order a new F150 if I wanted to. They have closed orders for 2022 models, and you can't order a 2023 until August (if memory serves).

Sold my Kia Stinger to CarMax and got about $3,200 more than I paid for it new. They also had an offer for my TLX for $2K more than I paid for it new. Fortunately (for me), the local Honda dealer gave me $2,500 more than I paid for it new. CarMax does indeed do a much more thorough inspection.

CarMax always came in 2nd in their bids for my cars. Vroom came in 3rd both times.

On a separate note, saw this yesterday....

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/buyers-abandoning-bronco-orders-thousands-piling-up-detroit/

Can't say as I blame anyone for backing out of their new Bronco order if it's been sitting outside for 4-5-6 months.

Ford has a problem. Yes, people want their vehicles. The dealerships are trashing their image by price gouging. And, Ford can't even deliver what they agree to build for their customers. This is going to end badly for them if they can't get it under control soon.
    This morning a vehicle from the local power utility paid a visit to a house down the street, not a repair truck but the kind used for inspections, etc. Normally they use Tucson/Santa Fe/Escape class vehicles for that sort of running-around work. I was surprised to see a Bronco being used in service by them.

I assume dealers will be fine getting stock unit broncos to sell.

@stickguy,
    Yup, they will just sell them to someone else if the original orders are cancelled.

henryn said:

Sold my Kia Stinger to CarMax and got about $3,200 more than I paid for it new. They also had an offer for my TLX for $2K more than I paid for it new. Fortunately (for me), the local Honda dealer gave me $2,500 more than I paid for it new. CarMax does indeed do a much more thorough inspection.

CarMax always came in 2nd in their bids for my cars. Vroom came in 3rd both times.

On a separate note, saw this yesterday....

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/buyers-abandoning-bronco-orders-thousands-piling-up-detroit/

Can't say as I blame anyone for backing out of their new Bronco order if it's been sitting outside for 4-5-6 months.

Ford has a problem. Yes, people want their vehicles. The dealerships are trashing their image by price gouging. And, Ford can't even deliver what they agree to build for their customers. This is going to end badly for them if they can't get it under control soon.
    That’s funny since Ford is selling a lot of them to rental companies. One day I saw at least a half dozen in our lot.

Next CT announcement, add 2 years.
    Just reserved another UHaul trailer to bring some more stuff to our storage unit in OH.
    A little smaller trailer this time(4x8) and will use my new 3 1/2 inch drop hitch bar.
    Last time I towed a 5x8 trailer and used a 2 inch drop hitch(what I had at the time).
    Trailer was still somewhat nose up with that setup.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    @explorer4
    I don't recall where you are moving here in Ohio.
    Where are you dropping roots?

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

edited May 2022
    @imidazol97,
    A bit west of Cleveland, North Ridgeville.
    We have 2 grandkids in Rocky River and want to be around them as they grow up.
    That's not a slight on their parents. :)
    New Topic - Pressure Washers

For those with experience with them, do all the soap dispensers and spray tips run horribly?

I've been told that the worst foam cannon ever built is better than the best soap dispensing pressure washer ever built.

In my sample of 1, the soap dispenser is useless. I made a warranty claim, but I fear it'll be 2 of 2 soon. This must be why the foam nozzle costs extra.

Just reserved another UHaul trailer to bring some more stuff to our storage unit in OH.
    A little smaller trailer this time(4x8) and will use my new 3 1/2 inch drop hitch bar.
    Last time I towed a 5x8 trailer and used a 2 inch drop hitch(what I had at the time).
    Trailer was still somewhat nose up with that setup.

The trailer towing guides all say that you should have 10 to 15% of the trailer weight on the tongue. My father never agreed with that, he went for no more than 100 pounds, preferably 50 pounds on the tongue. He would load a trailer very carefully so that he could pick up the tongue and place it on the hitch. Trailers always towed well with that load, despite the expert advice to the contrary.
    @henryn,
    What did he tow with?
    I would guess I would have maybe 200 lbs tongue weight.
    My Explorer has a 7 pin connector, is trailer aware and tow/haul mode.
    andres3 said:

New Topic - Pressure Washers

For those with experience with them, do all the soap dispensers and spray tips run horribly?

I've been told that the worst foam cannon ever built is better than the best soap dispensing pressure washer ever built.

In my sample of 1, the soap dispenser is useless. I made a warranty claim, but I fear it'll be 2 of 2 soon. This must be why the foam nozzle costs extra.

I’ve never gotten the soap dispenser work on our Troy Bilt pressure washer, but the pressure washer works well overall. Instead I fill up a pump up sprayer with a combination of outdoor bleach and soap, spray it, let it sit, then hit it with the pressure washer. As I am still recovering from my broken leg, for the first time I have hired a company to pressure wash our driveway, patio, and two sides of the house. He uses soft wash on the siding which should be less damaging to water intrusion and will do the job this Friday.