Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

If I lease a Kia in one State and then move will I be given credit and not be double-taxed.

srobinsrobin Member Posts: 6
edited May 2022 in Kia
The Florida Department of Revenue considers this provision to be an exemption from sales and use tax. However, how does an individual apply for this exemption (Florida Statute 212.06). Kia does not recognize this law.

Best Answers

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,145
    Answer ✓
    srobin said:

Sorry, leasing in New York and moving to Florida.

I think you'll be stuck paying taxes in both states:

NY collects sales tax on the sum of the lease payments, up front. Unlikely you'll get a refund when you move.
    Florida taxes the payment, monthly.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    Answer ✓
    @srobin

NYS taxes the sum of payments, but collects that amount upfront (in lieu of paying full sales tax on the vehicle price).

Florida taxes the monthly payment, and collects that amount monthly (in lieu of paying full sales tax).

I don't have the text for your statute, but generally, those exemptions are for either a purchase, which has been taxed in full, in another state. Or, just a general exemption from full sales tax on a leased vehicle, which is replaced by the monthly tax on the payment.

If you are moving to Florida soon, do not lease the car in NY. You will pay an extra 6% on the payment in Florida. No way out of that.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Answers

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    srobin said:

The Florida Department of Revenue considers this provision to be an exemption from sales and use tax. However, how does an individual apply for this exemption (Florida Statute 212.06). Kia does not recognize this law.

Leasing in which state? And, moving to which state?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• srobinsrobin Member Posts: 6
    Sorry, leasing in New York and moving to Florida.