Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,977

I had an appointment this morning to have the tires balanced and rotated on the Q5. All the vehicles in the bay were white! As usual a positive experience at DT. The had me in and out within 45 minutes and they were jammed.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,515

AC was last weekend. First hot day. HVAC place for Lennox to cover under warranty and part is supposed to be on its way. Just not sure if will be installed before showings. But definitely getting fixed.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258

I was picking up a gallon of milk this morning and placed it on the passenger seat. I noticed two buttons on the side of the passenger seat that I never noticed before - top button/switch moves the seat forward and back and the button/switch below tilts the back of the seat up or down. Amazing that I never noticed those switches before.

It seems that I have not yet learned all of what the G90 has to offer technologically and conveniencewise - I learn something new every week. Now where was that switch that ejects the rear passengers through the roof? 🤪😜

2021 Genesis G90

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,544

@abacomike said:
    I was picking up a gallon of milk this morning and placed it on the passenger seat. I noticed two buttons on the side of the passenger seat that I never noticed before - top button/switch moves the seat forward and back and the button/switch below tilts the back of the seat up or down. Amazing that I never noticed those switches before.

It seems that I have not yet learned all of what the G90 has to offer technologically and conveniencewise - I learn something new every week. Now where was that switch that ejects the rear passengers through the roof? 🤪😜

————————————————-
    It sounds like your G90 is as well equipped as my Genny and Mrs. j’s Subie for that matter. Who knew that could be? B)

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,349
    I just got in from IOP- a great week in a very nice condo. I brought my older Roku stick and plugged it into the TV which meant we could use all of our streaming services. The 2er was a joy as usual; it's just big enough to hold our luggage for a 1-2 week excursion. Best mpg was 32.5 driving down and 29.0 driving around IOP and Charleston. The last vestiges of AT&T's 3G service have apparently shut down as I lost traffic information last night(I lost the ability to communicate with the car through the My BMW app a couple of months ago).
    It was good to hang out with my son; in addition to seeing Top Gun: Maverick we caught the first two episodes of Obi-Wan Kenobi, Point Break(1991), and tried to count the number of people John Wick whacks in his first movie(the correct number is 77).
    On the way home we passed a Kia Soul on the shoulder of the interstate. The entire front end ahead of the A-pillar was completely engulfed in flames. The despondent owner and a city policeman were watching it cook, apparently waiting for the fire department.
    Pretty spectacular...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

cleaning out a house stinks. It is even worse when "someone" has trouble letting go of anything, and you put off doing stuff for many years because you could get away with ignoring the stuff.

much easier to deal with kids stuff when they age out, things like that, not wait until you are old and need to move!

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646
    “ On the way home we passed a Kia Soul on the shoulder of the interstate. The entire front end ahead of the A-pillar was completely engulfed in flames. The despondent owner and a city policeman were watching it cook, apparently waiting for the fire department.
    Pretty spectacular...”

Any idea what generation that car was? Mine’s the end of the 2nd generation (2019). I’ve been hearing more and more stories like that. Kia did a recall on mine to adjust the knock sensor but I’ve heard defective fuel lines are also involved.

I might invest in a fire extinguisher.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

stickguy said:

cleaning out a house stinks. It is even worse when "someone" has trouble letting go of anything, and you put off doing stuff for many years because you could get away with ignoring the stuff.

much easier to deal with kids stuff when they age out, things like that, not wait until you are old and need to move!

When my mom died I had to clean out her apartment and it took two months of on and off work to get it done. She hadn’t even gotten rid of my dad’s clothes even though he had passed eight years prior.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    edited May 2022
    If you know a car has a problem with certain parts aging/deteriorating involving fuel, I'd think about having
    them replaced with good aftermarket brand parts. My leSabre had a tendency to seep gasoline
    around o-rings on the fuel lines IF you moved them. Otherwise they weren't seeping.

I recall there was a Toyota sedan problem many years ago with a line with oil that was rubber
    for a section. There was a replacement part made of metal available, and someone had changed that out rather than waiting for a failure.

My Cruze just got a new valve cover because the earlier generations tended to have seals harden and start to seep oil. A running change was made on the 1.4 L T engine in the design of the rubber seal. Mine actually leaked around the rubber washers on the screws holding it in place. I put off changing due to back problems until this last week. There also is a pressure relief valve or something that's part of the cover that deteriorates and fails, so at 105K my baby got a $51 present from Dorman via Amazon.

The full synthetic oil isn't as flammable as standard oils, so I had some time as the seep grew. I just put a catch rug under where the car was parked to keep any drips off the carpet in the garage.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

Dorman seems to make quality replacement parts.

“ On the way home we passed a Kia Soul on the shoulder of the interstate. The entire front end ahead of the A-pillar was completely engulfed in flames. The despondent owner and a city policeman were watching it cook, apparently waiting for the fire department.
    Pretty spectacular...”

Any idea what generation that car was? Mine’s the end of the 2nd generation (2019). I’ve been hearing more and more stories like that. Kia did a recall on mine to adjust the knock sensor but I’ve heard defective fuel lines are also involved.

I really didn't notice. I would like to have taken a picture but traffic was moving at a good clip and I wanted to get past before someone decided to close the road.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,085
    stickguy said:

Someone sounds bitter. :D

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,085

Probably wise for any driver of a Kia-boom. B)

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

My favorite race weekend is finally here!
    Nürburgring 24 Hour
    Monaco
    Indianapolis 500
    Coca-Cola 600
    Life is good...

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,012

Nürburgring 24 Hour
    Monaco
    Indianapolis 500
    Coca-Cola 600
    Life is good...

My DVR is set…

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    edited May 2022
    RE: fire extinguisher

Usually a car fire on the side of the road that I've seen involves someone looking in horror
    at the flames coming out from under the wheel wells in front

OR

they are far away from the car in case it explodes

OR

in rare case they are holding an anemic fire extinguisher that won't even slow a gasoline
    fed engine fire that's already started.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

@Michaell said:
    My DVR is set…

————————————————-
    I hope you have one that is fast enough to record all of the races @roadburner listed.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)

@roadburner said:
    Nürburgring 24 Hour
    Monaco
    Indianapolis 500
    Coca-Cola 600
    Life is good...

———————————————-
    Hey, I just thought of this. Ain’t you supposed to be at one of those? :o

jmonroe

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,976
    Michaell said:

Nürburgring 24 Hour
    Monaco
    Indianapolis 500
    Coca-Cola 600
    Life is good...

My DVR is set…
    100 hours of cars going around a track! >:)

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,012
    driver100 said:

Michaell said:

Nürburgring 24 Hour
    Monaco
    Indianapolis 500
    Coca-Cola 600
    Life is good...

My DVR is set…
    100 hours of cars going around a track! >:)
    I don't think my wife would disagree with that assessment.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289

stickguy said:

When my mom died I had to clean out her apartment and it took two months of on and off work to get it done. She hadn’t even gotten rid of my dad’s clothes even though he had passed eight years prior.
    I have helped several of my friends deal with their parents homes and possessions after the parents pass, or are forced into assisted living. And due to that, I have implemented a plan. My two granddaughters inherit, and I have talked with them. My recommendation is to go through, one time, get anything you want, then walk away and give the keys to a reputable estate sale company. They can handle everything from there, you just wait for a check. Excess or unsaleable junk is hauled away, and the house is cleaned up afterwards, ready for the real estate pro to take over.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica

If you know a car has a problem with certain parts aging/deteriorating involving fuel, I'd think about having
    them replaced with good aftermarket brand parts. My leSabre had a tendency to seep gasoline
    around o-rings on the fuel lines IF you moved them. Otherwise they weren't seeping.

I recall there was a Toyota sedan problem many years ago with a line with oil that was rubber
    for a section. There was a replacement part made of metal available, and someone had changed that out rather than waiting for a failure.

My Cruze just got a new valve cover because the earlier generations tended to have seals harden and start to seep oil. A running change was made on the 1.4 L T engine in the design of the rubber seal. Mine actually leaked around the rubber washers on the screws holding it in place. I put off changing due to back problems until this last week. There also is a pressure relief valve or something that's part of the cover that deteriorates and fails, so at 105K my baby got a $51 present from Dorman via Amazon.

The full synthetic oil isn't as flammable as standard oils, so I had some time as the seep grew. I just put a catch rug under where the car was parked to keep any drips off the carpet in the garage.

"Carpet in the garage"??? Blasphemy!
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,306
    Went for a little ride this morning with the grandkids.

2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert

————————————————
    Why are you playing around? Aren’t you supposed to be fixing up the place and getting it listed.

@stickguy is going to sell before you and that’s with his claiming he lives with a border line hoarder.

jmonroe
    @jmonroe1,
    With 2 grandkids and a niece here for a few days, working too much on the house is on hold.
    We are listing as of June 1, so stickguy better hurry. :D
    edited May 2022

How did you enjoy your Train Ride with Thomas? :p

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,906
    edited May 2022

@imidazol97
    The oil line you are referring to is on the 2GR 3.5 engine. My buddy had a miled up 07 Camry with that engine. I told him to get it replaced before it blew. Nope, stranded his wife. Luckily she stopped and didn’t blow the engine.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

@driver100,
    It was too short, only 20 minutes.

@oldfarmer50 said:

When we traded houses with my mother we ended up using three 30 yard and one 20 yard dumpster to clean things out. Fourteen years later she had managed to fill her house with enough junk that we needed a 30 yard dumpster to clean it out.

@jmonroe1 said:

@roadburner said:
    Nürburgring 24 Hour
    Monaco
    Indianapolis 500
    Coca-Cola 600
    Life is good...

———————————————-

jmonroe

I’ve been to the Indy 500 several times(once in the front row at Turn 1). I’ve been to Charlotte for the Roval but not the 600. I’ll make it to Monaco if I hit Powerball. The Nürburgring is on my bucket list.
    One year my son and I watched Monaco, sped up to Indy for the 500 and then drove home and watched the 600.

@jmonroe1 said:

@roadburner said:

Nürburgring 24 Hour

Monaco

Indianapolis 500

Coca-Cola 600

Life is good...

———————————————-

jmonroe

I’ve been to the Indy 500 several times(once in the front row at Turn 1). I’ve been to Charlotte for the Roval but not the 600. I’ll make it to Monaco if I hit Powerball. The Nürburgring is on my bucket list.

One year my son and I watched Monaco, sped up to Indy for the 500 and then drove home and watched the 600.

————————————————-
    Care to tell us what your speed was when you “sped up to Indy”? I’m thinking @andres3 might get jealous. B)

jmonroe
    edited May 2022

Back in 1977 I lapped IMS in my Monte Carlo, but I only saw 115. :(
    My son and I are hoping to take the full day M school at the BMW M Driving Experience Center at IMS this year or next.

edited May 2022
    jmonroe1 said:

@jmonroe1 said:

@roadburner said:

Nürburgring 24 Hour

Monaco

Indianapolis 500

Coca-Cola 600

Life is good...

———————————————-

jmonroe

————————————————-
    Care to tell us what your speed was when you “sped up to Indy”? I’m thinking @andres3 might get jealous. B)

jmonroe

_________________________________________________________________________________________________
    I’ve been to the Indy 500 several times(once in the front row at Turn 1).

Does this mean he was actually in the race and was in the lead until the first turn?

@oldfarmer50 said:

When we traded houses with my mother we ended up using three 30 yard and one 20 yard dumpster to clean things out. Fourteen years later she had managed to fill her house with enough junk that we needed a 30 yard dumpster to clean it out.

I was lucky that I had a cargo van. About half went to the Salvation Army, the other half went to the dump. I think my brother finally took some of the furniture and stored it even though I told him it wasn’t worth anything. My parents were children of the Great Depression so they lived very frugality.

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

@jmonroe1 said:

@roadburner said:

Nürburgring 24 Hour

Monaco

Indianapolis 500

Coca-Cola 600

Life is good...

———————————————-

jmonroe

————————————————-

jmonroe

_________________________________________________________________________________________________
    I’ve been to the Indy 500 several times(once in the front row at Turn 1).

Does this mean he was actually in the race and was in the lead until the first turn?
    ———————————————
    Why don’t you ask him? I wasn’t there.

jmonroe

@jmonroe1 said:
    ————————————————-

jmonroe

Let’s just say “briskly.” I was driving the Mazdaspeed 3- a car which law enforcement almost always failed to notice. :D

@oldfarmer50 said:

I was lucky that I had a cargo van. About half went to the Salvation Army, the other half went to the dump. I think my brother finally took some of the furniture and stored it even though I told him it wasn’t worth anything. My parents were children of the Great Depression so they lived very frugality.
    ————————————————-
    Both of my parents went through the depression too. That was one tough generation. Those folks would flip if they saw what we did to the country they left us.

I think I told this story before but time for a repeat.

I’m sure everyone has heard of those folks being so cheap that they’d squeeze the buffalo nickel so hard that the buffalo would cry. That was a good day for the buffalo in our house because by the time my Mother was finished squeezing that nickel it was the size of a quarter and probably spent like one too.

Later in life my Mother loosened up but was still pretty thrifty. Some things you just can’t forget.

jmonroe
    My mom was born in 1930 and was pretty frugal overall.
    She didn't buy her first new car until 2003, which I talked her into.
    When she bought next new car in 2011, I had to write out the check for her although she signed it.
    I think it was around 17k(net after trade in and fees).
    When cleaning out her house, I had to shred every tax return since 1964.
    That was just the beginning.
    edited May 2022
    ———————————————
    Why don’t you ask him? I wasn’t there.

jmonroe

I want to see what he answers you! :|

today was largely an outside day to take advantage of the nice weather. So much fun. washed the outdoor furniture. cleaned off the deck and blew the dirt off, then sprayed cleaner on it. still could use a fresh coat of stain but no time for that. but it is clean and free of green tint now!

then cleaned out all the sand lines in the paver patio, and get that a quick bleach and water wash. not perfect but no more scuzzy on it.

cleaned out weeds from the driveway seams and rock beds around the pool.

and a side trip to the pool store for a replacement spider gasket for the filter selector valve since that decided to fail and let water leak out the backwash outlet when it wasn't supposed to. at least that was easy to replace and I managed that without breaking anything else, always a plus!

and I went to Kohl's and bought some new shorts after we went out for dinner, just for some variety. then home for more small projects and cleaning (the ceiling fixtures are now clean!)

now mostly a push to organize inside and get ready for pictures Thursday morning (listing as soon as they are done) and showings to start Saturday I think. Hopefully it contracts quickly so we can shift from making it look like a showplace, to making it look like a bomb hit.

I also booked a storage unit for a month and will be using the cargo van they have Wednesday to move some extra furniture and boxes over to free up space.

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,906

@stickguy
    You bring up a good point. You spend all that time cleaning, purging, staging and as soon as you have a signed buyer’s order the tear down begins. Then you have to clean it again before you turn it over. A lot of work!

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

I remember when one friend bought a house from the former owners.
    The previous owner took every roll of toilet paper and every light bulb in the house with him.
    Are you going to do that stick?

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,935

@driver100 said:
    The previous owner took every roll of toilet paper and every light bulb in the house with him.

Why the heck would you NOT take the TP? Not for the sake of taking it but for the sake of cleaning out the house. What else do you leave at that point? Paper towels? Garbage bags? Soap? Sponges? Dish towels? Where does it begin and end?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

When we sold our previous house it was left move in clean, with a roll of toilet paper in each bathroom, a roll of paper towels in the kitchen, a small bottle of dish soap and some paper cups and plates. Having moved many times before these are items one needs almost immediately and no need to scramble for them. Some weeks after the new owners moved in there was mail that hadn’t been forwarded that I needed to pick up. One of the first things the new owners said when I picked up the mail was how much they appreciated how we left the house, it made their move that much easier.

qbrozen said:

@driver100 said:

Why the heck would you NOT take the TP? Not for the sake of taking it but for the sake of cleaning out the house.

I agree with @sda . Often you move in, you got the movers and yourself, you get to the house, what are you going to do...look through every box trying to find some toilet paper. I think you leave a nice new roll in each bthrm as a courtesy....because that's the kind of guy I am.

In the past, when I have accepted an offer on selling a house, I gave my listing agent a piece of paper with all information and ask him/her to pass that on. Trash pickup days, who to call to get the water turned on, etc. These things are not always obvious.

@driver100 said:
    I agree with @sda . Often you move in, you got the movers and yourself, you get to the house, what are you going to do...look through every box trying to find some toilet paper. I think you leave a nice new roll in each bthrm as a courtesy....because that's the kind of guy I am.

————————————————-
    When we leave the flips we always leave full rolls of TP and paper towels in every bathroom and a full roll of paper towels in the kitchen. We also leave all the paint cans and label them so the buyers know where to use them.

My Son has always gone to the final walk through with the buyer and realtor and EVERY buyer has commented how clean the house was and appreciated what was left, especially the paint.

jmonroe

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,386

The prior owners of my house left us a binder of info about appliances, maintenance logs, all their maintenance contact info, some home basics (TP, Paper Towels, etc), and 3 furnace air filters to get us through to our next maintenance window.

2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
    jmonroe1 said:

@driver100 said:

————————————————-

When we leave the flips we always leave full rolls of TP and paper towels in every bathroom and a full roll of paper towels in the kitchen. We also leave all the paint cans and label them so the buyers know where to use them.

My Son has always gone to the final walk through with the buyer and realtor and EVERY buyer has commented how clean the house was and appreciated what was left, especially the paint.

jmonroe

It true of most businesses.....if you are passionate and want to do it right it really shows. Customers will appreciate you taking the extra little steps. I like the idea of labeling the paint cans......they will be useful one day, and even better if they are marked.

I once remember being in a family restaurant in a small town...and the restaurant was pretty full. The owner was going around to every table to ask if everything was OK. The food was excellent and reasonably priced, and I remember leaving thinking that place does well because the owner really takes pride in what he does.