Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,032
    Before I retired the company had gotten away from buying docking stations since they were (a) expensive (b) somewhat troublesome and (c) most users did not take their laptops on the road or home at night, and even if they did, it was usually just a couple of jacks that needed to be plugged in or unplugged. They did go with offering a Citrix option to install on your home PC to access corporate servers and mail, but I found it clunky and invasive. Perhaps it has now improved. With most people using smartphones to access resources in recent times that need has largely gone away. Of course large amounts of work-from-home use happened after I left so maybe the situation is different now for those folks.

I have a laptop running 24/7 in my home office along with another one I use elsewhere in the house as need be. The office one has a wireless mouse, separate monitor and keyboard, and that stuff all works well. It is getting long in the tooth now and I will probably need to replace it soon.

For @Sandman6472 's situation I would think an iPad or other tablet would be the best way to browse the web while sitting in a recliner watching TV or elsewhere around the house. I would not want to have a laptop on my knees for many hours at a time.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312

@corvette said:
    @roadburner - IIRC, a couple of members here got cheap leases on Alfas and ditched them well before lease end. Granted, we are in the chronic car buyer topic, but still...

The dealer finally priced it; for $5k more I can get the X3 M Competition- which is two years newer and has 14k fewer miles on it.
    Not a tough call.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,953
    I do use my iPad a lot but sometimes, just want a larger screen to look at. And a larger monitor at my desk would be nice also. My wife has 3 monitors plus the laptop TurboTax sent her so her real estate on her desk is pretty tight! I'd go much simpler if I even do anything.
    Did go on the Chevrolet.com site last night and was unhappy to see there's no way to get the Bose infotainment system or even a Premier model for the new Bolt. Decided that with whatever I do get next, not going to get the mid model like I did the last 3 times I bought. After awhile, was always unhappy that I just didn't spend a bit more and get the SEL model on my current Golf or the EX Civic way back when. Figured I'd save a bit here & there which looking back was quite silly, the extra expense was never really that much anyways over the length of ownership anyways. So might as well get what I really want & spend a bit more! Found that out with the new Sony we bought a few months back. By getting the better model, everyone is super happy with it and we've yet to change anything on it as the picture & color is absolutely outstanding! It's bringing us much joy everyday so the extra we spent was well worth it! And with the next automobile purchase, plan on doing the same, cost be damned, no matter what I decide on.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,698
    Complimentary write-up on Mazda’s new CX-50…

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a39541682/2023-mazda-cx-50-drive/

I forgot to mention that I looked at one last weekend. I was just checking out the local Mazda dealer to see what Miatas they had on the lot (they had none) and noticed a new CX-50 in front. Selling it alongside the CX-5 still seems funny to me, as the CX-50 simply appears to be the next-gen CX-5, but regardless, it’s a very sharp looking compact SUV. Subtle changes in the proportions versus the CX-5 make it look more upscale and sleek. And the interior is a welcome update from the CX-5.

My brother, who drives a previous gen Q5, asked me about it, which is exactly what Mazda would want…catching the attention of luxury buyers. Given it breaks into the low-$40k’s loaded up, those are the buyers they’ll need. The C&D write-up did state it drove more like an XC60 than a RAV4.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,441
    Oh, I like that. Not the dismal MPG, I already have a midsized CUV with that. But the upcoming hybrid version, that would be a nice ride.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,937
    I've driven the current Q5 several times and like it a lot. Yet I find our 16 Q5 to have a nicer interior. More attention to detail and better materials were used, at least that is my impression. The pricing of the Q5 has certainly edged up. Mazda has done a nice job with making the interiors look upscale and I can see the appeal for those potentially cross shopping other upscale brands such as Audi to consider a lesser priced Mazda. Mazdas generally have good driving dynamics as well and are a pleasure to drive. I would think maintenance costs are less as well.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• mlevinemlevine Member Posts: 581
    I have run dual monitors with integrated graphics card. Key is to have enough memory especially in running business programs. I see laptops available with 8 GB of memory. Upgrading on laptops is more difficult than the tower desktops.
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    I imagine if one gets an auxiliary monitor, to use with their laptop, the resolution on it is not as good as the Apple “retinal display” ?
    stickguy said:

Oh, I like that. Not the dismal MPG, I already have a midsized CUV with that. But the upcoming hybrid version, that would be a nice ride.

I find it hard to take Mazda seriously with the 2.5 engine they use in everything, which when combined with the ancient 6-speed automatic, makes so many of their offerings feel bog-slow unless you spring for the turbo. Add to that the clunky infortainment system and there are likely better options.

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    mlevine said:

I have run dual monitors with integrated graphics card. Key is to have enough memory especially in running business programs. I see laptops available with 8 GB of memory. Upgrading on laptops is more difficult than the tower desktops.

In this day and age, I would not consider any computer with less than 8 gigs of memory. And some of the newer notebooks do not have expandable memory, no memory slots, only surface mounted memory. Even when it is expandable, it's often very tough to get the computer open to add the memory. Your best bet is to buy a model that comes with at least 8 gigs.

The built in graphics on most newer notebooks is perfectly adequate for running two 24 inch monitors at full HD (1920x1080). If you're wanting to play shoot-em-up video games, or run 4k resolution, then you probably need to look at a notebook with an upgraded video capability.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
    all you people and your snowpocalypse pictures cost me money. I agreed to buy the snow blower. But, the people in that area can be relieved, since that will guarantee a mild winter with no big snow storms.

Definitely going to make the wife go around the neighborhood with it looking for customers, to try and make some money back. I am sure she will be happy to do it!

Just realized, I might have to consider snow tires. Will wait and see how the RDX does with the all seasons and how well the roads around there get plowed.

milestone with the Maverick. Just booked my first service appointment. Gets an oil change next week.

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,466
    stickguy said:

all you people and your snowpocalypse pictures cost me money. I agreed to buy the snow blower. But, the people in that area can be relieved, since that will guarantee a mild winter with no big snow storms.

Definitely going to make the wife go around the neighborhood with it looking for customers, to try and make some money back. I am sure she will be happy to do it!

Just realized, I might have to consider snow tires. Will wait and see how the RDX does with the all seasons and how well the roads around there get plowed.

————————————————-
    Thanks for letting me know you bought the snowblower. I can now call the seller to let him know where to send my check for scaring you into the purchase.

Thanks again.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    Interesting 10-minute overview of tires and tire history....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9aX0vohM_8
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,156
    edited June 2022
    tifighter said:

There’s a BMW dealer near my hotel in ZRH. This is displayed on the sidewalk. I do always enjoy a good window sticker.

Huh - didn't realize the swiss franc was about par with the US Dollar. That sticker price equates to $96,465 greenbacks.

I'm assuming the 15,640 line item is the VAT?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    edited June 2022

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,335

@Michaell said:
    Huh - didn't realize the swiss franc was about par with the US Dollar. That sticker price equates to $96,465 greenbacks.

No. I think that’s options.

2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
    Michaell said:

Or $124,000 worthless Canadian dollars.

Interestingly, after watching Harry's Garage review of the new Lotus Emira last week I priced one out up here just for laffs. It was about that same price for a First Edition version.

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,156

@Michaell said:

No. I think that’s options.

Oop, you are correct.

8% VAT in Switzerland, about equal to sales tax in most of Metro Denver.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,238

@stickguy said:
    milestone with the Maverick. Just booked my first service appointment. Gets an oil change next week.

Using your Ford Pass points or whatever they’re called, I assume? They could really do a better job of marketing that the first three service visits are effectively free if you register and don’t spend the points on something else.

Dealer not only gives a big discount, but comp the first service. So driving back over to philly and saving the points for the future.

How many miles do you have so far on your Maverick? Do Fords have an oil percentage or similar reminder?
    2700. Going on 6 months. Changing oil early on this car.

edited June 2022
    Why are you changing the oil so soon?

My CR-V oil change reminder let's me go at least 7k miles between oil changes. I do use all-synthetic, which used to be an upcharge, but that's now included as my Honda dealer's standard oil change service.

PS Of course some think an early oil change the first time is a good idea.
    partly because it is the first one. I also watched a bunch of videos from a ford mechanic that highly recommends shorter intervals on this engine. So for now planning on 6 month changes.

so partly just being cautious (in case I keep it a while!) but also because once I move I won't be going back to that dealer for an oil change, so might as well use the freebie!

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    edited June 2022
    Ford semi synthetic should be changed every 6 months or 5k, especially ecoboost engines.
    Not sure what the manual says but that's the real world recommendation.
    I usually have oil changed and tires rotated every 5k.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,953
    Once the hybrid does show up, betting y'all might like it better and sell the current unit especially if it drives better & has better equipment. But have a feeling it might not be showing up as quickly as you'd probably like but in fact, could be a blessing with the way petrol prices are now. We're hovering around the $5/gallon mark right about now and not sure where things will top out going forward. Just like the perfect storm with all that's going on now, an especially when I'm finally comfortable making a move, there's not much to move into!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,225

@roadburner said:

@corvette said:
    @roadburner - IIRC, a couple of members here got cheap leases on Alfas and ditched them well before lease end. Granted, we are in the chronic car buyer topic, but still...

The dealer finally priced it; for $5k more I can get the X3 M Competition- which is two years newer and has 14k fewer miles on it.
    Not a tough call.

The X3 M Competition has a panoramic moonroof and an automatic transmission. I thought those two were “no go” for you?

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,564

The local Alfa dealer has a CPO Stelvio Quadrifoglio on the lot. I just know that if I test drove it I'd hear Harry Callahan talking to me- "You’ve got to ask yourself one question: ‘Do I feel lucky?’ Well do ya, punk?”

Why don’t you rent one before you pull the trigger. I must have driven a half dozen last week.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

edited June 2022
    henryn said:

stickguy said:

good news on the Prius. Be careful if you do it yourself so you don't electrocute yourself!

Thankfully I don't have to use our crappy Citrix desktop (just a VPN). since I always work from home it is easier to just leave my work machine hooked up. Plus I have documents and programs on that which aren't on any cloud I can get to from my own machine.

The company I was working for would not allow any computers other than the company notebooks to connect to their network. Either in the office or remotely. You couldn't even connect to the Exchange server to get email except from the company notebook or the company cellphone.

Back before the pandemic I was always amused by the people who called in and said, "My kid's sick so I'm working from home today." Then you looked in their office, and they had not even taken their notebook home with them.
    I am so happy that I never in my entire working career ever had to use a computer of any kind. When I left the school they were just starting to introduce computer use for the drivers but even then I refused to use school email system or the terminal they set up in the transportation building. Since I left they require a number of online activities and even have put some tablets on buses for routing.

At my current job the most sophisticated device is a cell phone.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

Ford semi synthetic should be changed every 6 months or 5k, especially ecoboost engines.

that's what I had read and watched too. might go over the 5K if I had a 6 month stretch with a lot of highway but that is unlikely I think. so will just go with 6 months and considering it cheap insurance.

henryn said:

stickguy said:

good news on the Prius. Be careful if you do it yourself so you don't electrocute yourself!

Thankfully I don't have to use our crappy Citrix desktop (just a VPN). since I always work from home it is easier to just leave my work machine hooked up. Plus I have documents and programs on that which aren't on any cloud I can get to from my own machine.

The company I was working for would not allow any computers other than the company notebooks to connect to their network. Either in the office or remotely. You couldn't even connect to the Exchange server to get email except from the company notebook or the company cellphone.

Back before the pandemic I was always amused by the people who called in and said, "My kid's sick so I'm working from home today." Then you looked in their office, and they had not even taken their notebook home with them.
    I am so happy that I never in my entire working career ever had to use a computer of any kind. When I left the school they were just starting to introduce computer use for the drivers but even then I refused to use school email system or the terminal they set up in the transportation building. Since I left they require a number of online activities and even have put some tablets on buses for routing.

What can I say? My first exposure to a computer was the summer of 1968. I fell in love, and that love affair still continues today.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    I don't know where my life would have taken me if not for computers.
    Before I got 'retired' after 25 years at the company I used to work for, I got asked to work on a team of Russians and Ukrainian software devs.
    The VP said we don't know what they do and we want you find out what it is.
    I said I'd go to the team but I wouldn't spy on them.
    When I got assigned, I told them the company wanted me to spy on them but I wouldn't do it.
    After that, we got along great and it turned out they were super team oriented and very dedicated.
    The stuff they wrote was pretty obtuse and although I supported it for many many years, and a lot of times I felt like I was sticking my head into the mouth of a lion, I always managed to keep it attached to the rest of me.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    edited June 2022
    mjfloyd1 said:

@roadburner said:

@corvette said:

Not a tough call.

The X3 M Competition has a panoramic moonroof and an automatic transmission. I thought those two were “no go” for you?

The X3 M isn't a track car- an M2C is. I've come to the point where a well-designed automatic or DCT doesn't bother me too much as long as it augments the performance of the car; anyway, I have a few other cars in the garage that keep my left foot in practice.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

The local Alfa dealer has a CPO Stelvio Quadrifoglio on the lot. I just know that if I test drove it I'd hear Harry Callahan talking to me- "You’ve got to ask yourself one question: ‘Do I feel lucky?’ Well do ya, punk?”

Why don’t you rent one before you pull the trigger. I must have driven a half dozen last week.
    A Quadrifoglio?

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,499

Flip phone?

'08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    edited June 2022

I drive most of my cars so little that every 6 months would be less than 1000 miles. I usually will wait 2000 miles regardless of time. Usually that’s about every other year on my summer cars.

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,238
    The Dr. Prius app only identified one bad battery bank in the Prius. I ordered two battery modules to replace the two in that bank for $72.00.

A Quadrifoglio?
    They were a Stelvios, beyond that I didn’t notice.

Flip phone?

Yep. It has internet capabilities but I’ve never used it for anything more than calls and rudimentary texts.

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,499
    Me too -- kindred spirit sort of thing.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    edited June 2022
    GM's Barra says it is re-engineering its vehicles to drastically reduce the number of chips needed, which should help on the supply side for new vehicles. Probably if GM is doing this other automakers are working on similar efforts. If so, maybe by 2024 we might see big increases in vehicle supplies, and then a drop in prices.

"GM still expects to increase production this year by 25-30 percent, despite continuing pressure on semiconductor supplies globally. Barra said GM is working to redesign vehicles to reduce the number of processors required by 95 percent.

https://www.autonews.com/retail/barra-says-gm-selling-every-truck-we-can-build
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,221

A Quadrifoglio?
    The Quadrifoglio is 500+ HP. You'd notice.

Anything is possible, but I doubt they are in the rental fleets. All other trims get 280 HP.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

benjaminh said:

GM's Barra says it is re-engineering its vehicles to drastically reduce the number of chips needed, which should help on the supply side for new vehicles. Probably if GM is doing this other automakers are working on similar efforts. If so, maybe by 2024 we might see big increases in vehicle supplies, and then a drop in prices.

"GM still expects to increase production this year by 25-30 percent, despite continuing pressure on semiconductor supplies globally. Barra said GM is working to redesign vehicles to reduce the number of processors required by 95 percent.

Hmmm.... I'm not sure how they could go about "reducing the number of processors required by 95 percent". Certainly they could eliminate a few things like navigation. But 95 percent? That seems a bit far-fetched to me.
  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,466
    henryn said:

benjaminh said:

Hmmm.... I'm not sure how they could go about "reducing the number of processors required by 95 percent". Certainly they could eliminate a few things like navigation. But 95 percent? That seems a bit far-fetched to me.
    ————————————————
    I agree. Unless the chips they will be keeping have capabilities far greater than what they are using them for now; and if that’s the case why didn’t they use that capability before. Nope, if any industry tries to keep the number of parts to a minimum because of the initial cost of that item and then what it takes in the manufacturing process (time and additional peripherals like wiring harnesses and the like) it’s the auto industry.

There has to be more to this than what is being said.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    My guess is that what's going on is that instead of using lots of cheap chips, GM is moving toward using fewer but more complex and more expensive chips. I think Tesla has already been doing this for several years.
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,856

I think using less chips and more multitasking (for lack of a better word) could lead to some extremely costly replacement parts later on.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

kyfdx said:

A Quadrifoglio?
    The Quadrifoglio is 500+ HP. You'd notice.

Anything is possible, but I doubt they are in the rental fleets. All other trims get 280 HP.
    I’m guessing these were the 280hp versions.