Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,439
    I seem to recall a big issue in chip shortage is cars still use old school chips that fabs don’t want to make now. So car companies may have to finally upgrade to state of art modern stuff. Fewer components and chips? Could be for the best anyway.

Most likely when the old chips were cheap and plentiful they had no incentive to modernize and upgrade. Now, they do!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,762
    Good point. There is also some redundancy that must be built into cars, and I imagine that causes the need for more chips than other systems that have less riding on them should they fail.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,466

kyfdx said:

The local Alfa dealer has a CPO Stelvio Quadrifoglio on the lot. I just know that if I test drove it I'd hear Harry Callahan talking to me- "You’ve got to ask yourself one question: ‘Do I feel lucky?’ Well do ya, punk?”

Why don’t you rent one before you pull the trigger. I must have driven a half dozen last week.
    A Quadrifoglio?
    They were a Stelvios, beyond that I didn’t notice.
    The Quadrifoglio is 500+ HP. You'd notice.

Anything is possible, but I doubt they are in the rental fleets. All other trims get 280 HP.
    I’m guessing these were the 280hp versions.
    ————————————————
    Since you’re still around, I’m sure you’re right.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    tjc78 said:

I think using less chips and more multitasking (for lack of a better word) could lead to some extremely costly replacement parts later on.

BUT fewer to replace and far less diagnostic time to track down the right one.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891

@tifighter said:
    Remember a time before lots of processors and chips? BX remembers…

Citroen, that is. BX is the model. ;)

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    qbrozen said:

tjc78 said:

I think using less chips and more multitasking (for lack of a better word) could lead to some extremely costly replacement parts later on.

BUT fewer to replace and far less diagnostic time to track down the right one.
    Maybe. I don't really know enough about the systems in a modern automobile to venture an opinion. I do remember reading about how old and antiquated the computers in the space shuttle were. They were "built in" or "designed in" and pretty much impossible to upgrade. I just looked it up, the space shuttle program ran from 1972 to 2011, and the onboard computers were a 1967 model from IBM.

I also remember reading a few years back that the wiring was the most expensive component in a new car, costing more than the engine or the transmission. I assume "wiring" would include the computer chips. So designing and implementing a new electrical or electronics system, complete wiring harness, computers, etc, would be roughly equivalent to designing an entirely new car. Not something to be undertaken lightly.

And I remember reading that the chips which are in such short supply for automobiles are old and "simple", which would mean "cheap", and would mean the chip foundries would not be interested in ramping up production. So yes, redesigning your cars to use more modern computers could alleviate the shortage, but how long does it take to design a new car model and bring it into production? Because that is pretty much what they would be doing.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535
    Looks like the Rivian will be listed on Cars and Bids next Tuesday. I did get an offer from Carmax for $108k but since I don't have the title yet from Colorado I couldn't sell it to them.

While working through the final steps to list the auction this caught my eye:

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/KDWXQvMa/1990-eagle-talon-tsi-awd

I always liked these, great styling (IMO) and the 5-speed AWD combo seems like it would be fun.
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,237
    @jpp75 - Legitstreetcars got the facelifted(?) one of those, just before the 1999 (or so) redesign.

I didn't overhear all of the convo about the title, but $108k sounds like that has to be a nice profit. Is the delay due to financing and the need to put a lien on the title? It would be tempting to try to find a short term unsecured loan (or combination of them) to just pay cash, get the title, sell to CarMax, and just pay off the loan(s).
    edited June 2022
    jpp75 said:

Looks like the Rivian will be listed on Cars and Bids next Tuesday. I did get an offer from Carmax for $108k but since I don't have the title yet from Colorado I couldn't sell it to them.

I always liked these, great styling (IMO) and the 5-speed AWD combo seems like it would be fun.

I like the Talons. They were probably the least loved of the triplets, so finding one in anything resembling decent condition today is likely difficult. I do recall them being fairly easy to come by in unmolested condition 15-20 years ago (something that could not be said for the 3000GT or the Stealth).
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    I'm probably weird... but I don't like to let the dealer handle the title/registration paperwork unless they have an in-house access with the DMV and can sort it out on the spot. If they say they're going to mail the plates (which can take 30-90 days here), I request the paperwork from them up front, take it to the DMV and process it, then come back with the plates/registration/tags in hand to pick up the car.

I just don't like driving around with temp tags.
  • tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,592

@jpp75 said:

I like the Talon. Nice bonus that it’s already in CO. Maybe you can see it ahead of the close?

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

I like that Talon a lot. but I refuse to buy a car with rat belts. Have to draw the line someplace!

edited June 2022
    stickguy said:

I like that Talon a lot. but I refuse to buy a car with rat belts. Have to draw the line someplace!

I draw a mental distinction between "airbag cars" and the older ones. It's interesting how some cars, especially those with longer model runs, went from conventional seatbelts to passive restraints to having an airbag (I'm thinking of the Buick Century/Oldsmobile Cutlass, but I also think the 1989+ Honda Accord qualifies for this distinction--it appears to have started with conventional belts in 1989, got the mouse motors in 1990-91, and completely ditched the mouse motor belts when it got a driver's airbag in 1992).
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    There might be a big increase in the number of new vehicles made in North America by 2024. If so, the prices of new and used vehicles will start falling even as soon as a year from now because the supply and demand situation will slowly start to flip.

Tesla's Austin factory alone has the capacity to make 1 million vehicles a year when it gets up to speed. A big car factory from other companies can make about a quarter of a million a year, and so this one plant by itself is equal to four big factories.

If GM and others can solve their chip problems in a year or two, and start running their factories at full tilt, the pent-up demand might mean record vehicle sales in a couple of years.

Annual vehicle sales in the US topped 17 million from 2015-2019, but it seems like this year we'll be lucky to make it to 14 million.

https://www.goodcarbadcar.net/usa-auto-industry-total-sales-figures/

Could 2024 top 18 million? Could 2025 reach 19 million? Ford's CEO was recently predicting an EV price war in a few years, and I think he could be right.
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,562
    edited June 2022
    jpp75 said:

I heard a story around the water cooler the other day of a guy who ordered a Maverick at MSRP from a local dealer and tried to flip it on Facebook Marketplace before he even got it. (Sound familiar?) Evidently the dealer got wind of this and returned his deposit, took delivery and then sold it with a $2k ADM.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,145
    qbrozen said:

@benjaminh said:

Tesla's Austin factory alone has the capacity to make 1 million vehicles a year when it gets up to speed. A big car factory from other companies can make about a quarter of a million a year, and so this one plant by itself is equal to four big factories.

If they got that info from Elon, it is probably more like 250k anyway. ;b

Also, the Toyota plant in KY has a capacity of 500K vehicles a year, and the Honda plant in Ohio builds more than 400K Honda and Acura vehicles a year.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

edited June 2022
    It will be interesting to see what THIS (sorry, couldn't resist) 2006 Acura TSX 6MT ends up selling for. Ultra Low Miles. Stick. It is local too.

The next closest to me 1st generation TSX with a 6 -Speed has 140K miles on it and they are asking $10,295 on Car Gurus 91 days w/ 5 owners). The next lowest mileage car has 97.5K miles on it and they are asking $13,899 (on Car Gurus 68 days w/ 1 owner).

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    Michaell said:

qbrozen said:

@benjaminh said:

Also, the Toyota plant in KY has a capacity of 500K vehicles a year, and the Honda plant in Ohio builds more than 400K Honda and Acura vehicles a year.

Honda plant in Indiana has a capacity of 250K/yr.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

@nyccarguy said:
    It will be interesting to see what THIS (sorry, couldn't resist) 2006 Acura TSX 6MT ends up selling for. Ultra Low Miles. Stick. It is local too.

2,100 miles per year? Almost too low. Great car though. Silver over black would be a turn off. As is that price!

corvette said:

@jpp75 - Legitstreetcars got the facelifted(?) one of those, just before the 1999 (or so) redesign.

I didn't overhear all of the convo about the title, but $108k sounds like that has to be a nice profit. Is the delay due to financing and the need to put a lien on the title? It would be tempting to try to find a short term unsecured loan (or combination of them) to just pay cash, get the title, sell to CarMax, and just pay off the loan(s).

I actually didn't take out a lien on the Rivian, since I knew I was going to flip it quickly I didn't want to go through the hassle of getting a loan then having to pay it off a couple of months later. Colorado has a "unique" system for titling and registering vehicles. If you buy from a dealer here the dealer submits all the paperwork and then you get a card in the mail that you take to the DMV to complete the registration. I much prefer what @xwesx described but unfortunately that's not an option here.

Obviously things were a bit different this time last year when I bought the Defender but I looked and it took Colorado 3 months to send the title for it so we'll see if things are any faster this time.

@xwesx I too don't like driving with temp tags, I can't really say why but it just bugs me which is a bit of a pain for a CCBA. :)
    4-6 weeks for a title in KY. :/

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

stickguy said:

@nyccarguy said:

2,100 miles per year? Almost too low. Great car though. Silver over black would be a turn off. As is that price!

The stock photo shows silver over black. In the description it is Arctic Blue with Black guts.

kyfdx said:

4-6 weeks for a title in KY. :/

That was more the norm in Colorado pre-Covid from what I remember. I'm hopeful the Rivian title arrives a little sooner than 3 months but we'll see.
    Arctic blue is very nice. Even better with tan or gray interior! But I would not eliminate from consideration based on that.

kyfdx said:

Michaell said:

qbrozen said:

@benjaminh said:

Only because Subaru gets the balance of the capacity in Indiana.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    breld said:

Had a real fun gathering tonight with

jpp75 said:

With my first REAL job, for the first time making some REAL money, I test drove one of those equipped the same way (only in red, of course). At the time, big fun. But, I had a house to buy so that thought came and went quickly.

That’s when Mitsubishi (who actually made these cars in the U.S. with the then Chrysler Corp) built some really good cars…Galant (with the same drivetrain as the Tallon/Eclipse), Montero, and even a luxury car called the Diamanté.

2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    Am I mistaken, or is the Rivian built in the same Illinois plant that used to build the Diamond Star triplets?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,562
    edited June 2022
    nyccarguy said:

The next closest to me 1st generation TSX with a 6 -Speed has 140K miles on it and they are asking $10,295 on Car Gurus 91 days w/ 5 owners). The next lowest mileage car has 97.5K miles on it and they are asking $13,899 (on Car Gurus 68 days w/ 1 owner).

$3176 overpriced? That’s a bargain in this market. I mentioned on the other board that an exact match (year, trim, mileage, color) to my son’s 2010 Fusion purchased 2 years ago for about $8200 is listed on Carvana for $15k.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

Michaell said:

kyfdx said:

Michaell said:

qbrozen said:

@benjaminh said:

I'm not sure what this means?

Toyota has a truck plant in Indiana that produced 425K vehicles, last year.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

That’s why we abandoned the idea of having my daughter buy a late model used car. Made no sense.

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,356

breld said:

Had a real fun gathering tonight with

jpp75 said:

With my first REAL job, for the first time making some REAL money, I test drove one of those equipped the same way (only in red, of course). At the time, big fun. But, I had a house to buy so that thought came and went quickly.

That’s when Mitsubishi (who actually made these cars in the U.S. with the then Chrysler Corp) built some really good cars…Galant (with the same drivetrain as the Tallon/Eclipse), Montero, and even a luxury car called the Diamanté.

They made some cool stuff for sure. Galant VR-4 was a real gem. Both the Montero and Montero Sport were great, the former tough as nails and could give a Land Cruiser a run for its money if not for the tin worm.

3000GT goes without saying.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

Michaell said:

Am I mistaken, or is the Rivian built in the same Illinois plant that used to build the Diamond Star triplets?

I think you're right. There is an interstate exit labeled "Rivian Way" or something similar. I was looking at Google Street View the other day and it appears it was formerly named "Mitsubishi Motorway."
    kyfdx said:

Michaell said:

kyfdx said:

Michaell said:

qbrozen said:

@benjaminh said:

I thought the Subaru plant in Indiana was shared with another brand. Could be Toyota, since the two companies share development (BRZ/GT86 and Solterra/bZ4X).

Memory seems not to be as good as when I was younger.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Michaell said:

kyfdx said:

Michaell said:

kyfdx said:

Michaell said:

qbrozen said:

@benjaminh said:

I thought the Subaru plant in Indiana was shared with another brand. Could be Toyota, since the two companies share development (BRZ/GT86 and Solterra/bZ4X).

When it was built, it was with Isuzu. Not sure if they have anyone else, now. It's in Lafayette.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,031
    kyfdx said:

When it was built, it was with Isuzu. Not sure if they have anyone else, now. It's in Lafayette.

They did some Camry assembly under contract from Toyota until 2016 when that was phased out. Just Subie products coming out of there now.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

jpp75 said:

What is amazing to me is how the car market has shifted since then. Those Diamond Star Triplets were EVERYWHERE. They made a flavor for everyone. FWD, AWD, Stick, Automatic, Naturally Aspirated, Turbo Charged... Eagle, Plymouth, & Mitsubishi

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,852

@nyccarguy said:
    What is amazing to me is how the car market has shifted since then. Those Diamond Star Triplets were EVERYWHERE. They made a flavor for everyone. FWD, AWD, Stick, Automatic, Naturally Aspirated, Turbo Charged... Eagle, Plymouth, & Mitsubishi

Different times. People still liked cars then. I’m too lazy to look it up but SUVs and trucks must make up well over 75% of the market now. Back then it was probably much less

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,852
    edited June 2022

Found this article (link below) I was close it’s now 80% trucks and SUVs. In 2010 it was 52%, so I’m guessing in the early 90s it was maybe 40%.

https://jalopnik.com/trucks-and-suvs-are-now-over-80-percent-of-new-car-sale-1848427797/amp

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

tjc78 said:

@nyccarguy said:

Different times. People still liked cars then. I’m too lazy to look it up but SUVs and trucks must make up well over 75% of the market now. Back then it was probably much less

So true. Just like today where every car company has different flavors of SUVs or (I really hate this term) Crossovers, back then manufacturers had different coupes.

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,936
    edited June 2022

I just walked thru a parking garage that links two buildings. Sedans, coupes were the exception, probably 9 of 10 were CUV/SUVs, trucks. I think I was writing this as tjc78 posted his. Sadly seems consistent.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

Very interesting about the 1st Gen TSX. While they are widely known for their old school honda performance and durability and availability of a 6-speed manual (currently driven by our very own @cdnpinhead ), I'm not sure if the value has caught up to the coupes of the era (Prelude, Integra, Civic Si). I checked C&B and BAT. Not 1 1st generation TSX has passed through their respective sites. I really wonder how long that 36K mile TSX is going to sit on their lot with that over $16K asking price (they have a $549 doc fee).

Just built an Integra A-Spec 6MT on the Acura website and it comes out to $37,395 including destination. I then priced out a WRX Premium for $34,975. Styling aside, the WRX has got to slaughter the Integra in every single performance metric.

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,466

@Michaell said:

————————————————-
    Are you trying to say Elon provided those numbers? :o

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    nyccarguy said:

Just built an Integra A-Spec 6MT on the Acura website and it comes out to $37,395 including destination. I then priced out a WRX Premium for $34,975. Styling aside, the WRX has got to slaughter the Integra in every single performance metric.

The Acura is going to probably be a much smoother, more comfortable car to drive. And much better MPG. Other than a manual not really similar!

• dad23dad23 Member Posts: 866
    jpp75 said:

Since it's local to you, are you able to do any type of inspection if you wanted to bid on it?
  • tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,592

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd