Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,935
    edited June 2022
    tjc78 said:

“ I figure, worst case, that will be our Myrtle Beach golf cart”

Please don’t say golf cart. Wife is hot on one for the shore. I’m trying to hold out this year. Of course the neighbor just got a beautiful new red on black six seat Icon…. Not helping the cause at all

Want a Daihatsu? ;)
    Other good choice is a Honda ACTY van. Don't think those can be had in AWD, though.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,907

@qbrozen said:
    Want a Daihatsu? ;)
    Other good choice is a Honda ACTY van. Don't think those can be had in AWD, though.

OMG she would file for divorce😆

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,042
    edited June 2022

I just watched a Ben Hardy review of the R1T, He said resale prices were around 120k on the low end.

That's not what they are selling for on Cars & Bids - most of the auctions end between $105K and $115K, lately.

Where is he getting those numbers from, and is he willing to spend $120K on the one @jpp75 has?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,349

nyccarguy said:

Just built an Integra A-Spec 6MT on the Acura website and it comes out to $37,395 including destination. I then priced out a WRX Premium for $34,975. Styling aside, the WRX has got to slaughter the Integra in every single performance metric.

True. But, material quality, NVH, build quality are all worlds better in the Integra. In fairness, it’s probably been 3 years since I’ve been in a WRX, and the updates since then may have addressed those shortcomings. Perhaps my posterior is getting too soft, but the WRX felt crude, and I’m being kind.
    My wife and I liked the 2015 WRX STI I test drove before I bought my 2er, but we both agreed it felt too similar to my Mazdaspeed 3. That's not intended as a knock on the MS3; we just wanted something different.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

tjc78 said:

OMG she would file for divorce😆

I dunnooo... you could be a hero. "Hun, would you rather shuttle around in air-conditioned comfort protected from the rain or be like all the other geriatric losers?"

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,308
    @michaell,
    Cars and Bids is not the be all end all.
    Maybe it's just the wrong venue for that vehicle.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert

@michaell,
    Cars and Bids is not the be all end all.
    Maybe it's just the wrong venue for that vehicle.

What would you consider the right venue?

Remember, CarMax offered $108k, right in line with the auction results.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,308
    @michaell,
    I don't know what the best place to sell an R1T is, but I've seen stories of people who got less than they were expecting.
    I'm sure it happens at other sites, too.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,977
    I received two separate notices for the Q5 and Passat on a legal settlement for water pump failure reimbursement and replacement for the 2.0t engine. For us, should replacement be needed it covers only one replacement during the period of 8yr/80k which I think is cheap. Worse yet, if the owner suffered engine damage because of water pump failure and overheating, it only covers a declining percentage of reimbursement based on years and mileage. VW Audi still claims the water pumps are not defective. From what I read this issue was addressed with a revised water pump around 2017, but the settlement includes up to 2021.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,544
    au1994 said:

nyccarguy said:

xwesx said:

ronsteve said:

Not sure I'd call the 4th gen Outback an "improvement" but it sure did sell.

That being said, the Outback is probably the most wagon-ish of the crop of SUVs (or crossovers if you insist, but hardly anything is body-on-frame to meet the classic definition of SUV) and I do like the XT. If there were any on the ground locally last month when my trade value was sky-high, I'd probably be driving one right now.

I completely agree about that! I hated the 4th gen Outback. It lost 99% of its prior character with that generation and was straight up ugly on top of it. However, passenger space was vastly improved, and that was the hook for the majority of buyers. However, the third gen Forester, starting in 2009 MY, was almost all improvement (aside from the loss of a manual with the XT), and it shot Subaru to stardom at a time when all other manufacturers were suffering a significant contraction of sales, restructuring, etc.
    I saw one of those Outback Wilderness Editions last night. Jacked up, skinny tires, lots of cladding... not my cup of tea
    Yeah, its…interesting and I’ll leave it at that.

Subaru does a lot right for the money. The Forester really seems to hit the bang for the buck very well if the size works for you. I too was disappointed that the Legacy couldn’t get something with more get up and go. Its a nice looking sedan.
    ————————————————-
    I think yours and @nyccarguy’s disappointment with the power of the Legacy is due to the 4 cylinder engine.

Mrs. j has had 2 Legacies the first one was a 2012 and the one she has now is a 2018. Both the Limited model with the 3.6R 6 cylinder engine. While not a race car that engine has plenty of power. I have never had trouble keeping up with traffic, getting up to speed on interstate ramps or passing in any situation. It doesn’t compare in power to my V8 Genny but for a grocery getter it’s pretty damn good.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)

@qbrozen said:
    I dunnooo... you could be a hero. "Hun, would you rather shuttle around in air-conditioned comfort protected from the rain or be like all the other geriatric losers?"

Just for giggles .. I showed that to my wife. The response was not PG!!

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,381
    jmonroe1 said:

au1994 said:

nyccarguy said:

xwesx said:

ronsteve said:

That being said, the Outback is probably the most wagon-ish of the crop of SUVs (or crossovers if you insist, but hardly anything is body-on-frame to meet the classic definition of SUV) and I do like the XT. If there were any on the ground locally last month when my trade value was sky-high, I'd probably be driving one right now.

I completely agree about that! I hated the 4th gen Outback. It lost 99% of its prior character with that generation and was straight up ugly on top of it. However, passenger space was vastly improved, and that was the hook for the majority of buyers. However, the third gen Forester, starting in 2009 MY, was almost all improvement (aside from the loss of a manual with the XT), and it shot Subaru to stardom at a time when all other manufacturers were suffering a significant contraction of sales, restructuring, etc.
    I saw one of those Outback Wilderness Editions last night. Jacked up, skinny tires, lots of cladding... not my cup of tea

Subaru does a lot right for the money. The Forester really seems to hit the bang for the buck very well if the size works for you. I too was disappointed that the Legacy couldn’t get something with more get up and go. Its a nice looking sedan.
    ————————————————-
    I think yours and @nyccarguy’s disappointment with the power of the Legacy is due to the 4 cylinder engine.

Mrs. j has had 2 Legacies the first one was a 2012 and the one she has now is a 2018. Both the Limited model with the 3.6R 6 cylinder engine. While not a race car that engine has plenty of power. I have never had trouble keeping up with traffic, getting up to speed on interstate ramps or passing in any situation. It doesn’t compare in power to my V8 Genny but for a grocery getter it’s pretty damn good.

jmonroe
    It is and by the time I looked at one I don’t think the 3.6 was an option. With that I’d have probably been an owner. For a year at least, we are in CCBA after all :smile:

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

@michaell,
    I don't know what the best place to sell an R1T is, but I've seen stories of people who got less than they were expecting.
    I'm sure it happens at other sites, too.

@jpp75 and I were discussion the range of final prices on C&B - since all the trucks are exactly the same, save color, we figured the higher bids were for trucks were from people who don't live near a Rivian distribution center.

If you have a link to some of those stories, I'd be interested in reading them.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Michaell said:
    ————————————————-
    I think I’m one of the older guys in here and I don’t have a clue how to help this guy. Maybe what is needed is a young wippersnaper who knows a thing or two about old Chevy’s. This otta be good.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646
    henryn said:

xwesx said:

Michaell said:

I would think that the volume of business at the Alaska DMV offices is a fraction of that in Colorado.

Maybe, but we also have very few offices. Hahaha Our DMV offices are always a zoo.... or were, before they wised up and went exclusively with an appointment process rather than 99% walk-in.
    Going back 20 years, I can remember waiting in line for hours at the tax office to register a newly purchased used vehicle. This was in Harris County, Houston. Then I moved out to the country, Austin County. There were 19,000 people in the entire county, and the tax office was so unbusy the ladies working there would engage you in conversation just to relieve the boredom.

Now I'm back in Houston, and last year when I had to transfer the title on this used pickup, I dreaded the trip to the tax office. But in actuality, it wasn't nearly as bad as I had expected. The line was fairly short, only took about 30 minutes in and out.

The state of Texas used to take about 2 months to send you the title, but that's now down to about 1 month, so not too bad. If you purchase from a dealer, it can take 4 to 6 weeks to get the plates, and 2 months or longer to get the actual paper title. But that's actually the fault of the dealer. You get the plates as soon as the file the paperwork at the tax office, so the further delay is because the dealers stall around for weeks before they send someone to the tax office. And even when the dealer has the new plates in hand, they may not notify you immediately.

I have observed that car dealerships can be very lax about any of their business practices which do not show a direct profit.
    It takes about a month to get an actual paper title in NY regardless of if it is done by the dealer or yourself.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

Big fan of Mitsu, family owned a few: Parents had a Gallant, a couple of Diamantes. I had the '85 Mirage Turbo. Always wanted one of the DiamondStar triplets and I almost bought a Starion post-Mirage. But, being an avid skier at the time, FWD practicality ruled and I bought '88 Acura Integra instead.
    Heartbreaking in what Mitsu has become, almost as much as the late, lamented Saab.

My ‘08 Eclipse was one of the nicest cars I’ve owned. Lots of off the line torque and very smooth engine. No repairs needed over 7 years of ownership. Traded it in for the Mustang.

These days a Mitsubishi with CVT gets no interest from me.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

@28firefighter said:
    My Elantra N should be ready any day now, so I’ve put the G35 up for sale. We shall see.

Huh. I missed that order

Neighbors are big Acura fans. They have three. A TSX, a newer TL and this older one their son drives. I know the front end was controversial on this style but I think it has aged very well.

• ventureventure Member Posts: 2,872
    jmonroe1 said:

au1994 said:

nyccarguy said:

xwesx said:

ronsteve said:

————————————————-

jmonroe
    Agree about the 3.6. My present Legacy is the XT which has the 2.4 Turbo 4 and does 0-60 in 6.1 seconds; faster than the 3.6.

Most people buying a Subaru probably aren't interested in, or care about, performance so the N/A 2.5 engine is satisfactory for them.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

Geesh. I think I must have really stole the first Gloria. This same model, same condition, more miles sold for 2.5x what I paid for mine. Unless white is worth that much more than blue in Japan.

@sda said:
    I think the front end with the pronounced beak on the next generation TL was unloved, but good cars. Our 06 TL is the same as that one. With 170k it still drives and runs extremely well. Quick too, in acceleration and draining the fuel tank!

Yep you are right. This one has a little beak but the later ones had the more pronounced style and was the one I first thought of.

• StagnetStagnet Member Posts: 5
    To be honest, I like the Defender, but I'd go with a different color scheme. Now, I'm not a big fan of black alloys, but they look good on this car. It appears sinister...in a good manner, if that makes sense!
  • StagnetStagnet Member Posts: 5
    Honestly speaking, I'm in love with this defender.
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    jmonroe1 said:

Michaell said:
    ————————————————-
    I think I’m one of the older guys in here and I don’t have a clue how to help this guy. Maybe what is needed is a young wippersnaper who knows a thing or two about old Chevy’s. This otta be good.

jmonroe
    Wait....what? You're speechless? Better get a check up. (j/k)!
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,271
    qbrozen said:

@28firefighter said:

My Elantra N should be ready any day now, so I’ve put the G35 up for sale. We shall see.

Huh. I missed that order

G35 left his wife stranded. He had it checked out and was a PS leak but car was banished.

@28firefighter got a small discount on Elantra N so now is trying to catch @breld and @qbrozen 😂
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,388
    Admittedly, I'm having second thoughts about it...just in terms of whether I really need it or not.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
    edited June 2022

@28firefighter said:
    Admittedly, I'm having second thoughts about it...just in terms of whether I really need it or not.

I hear you. I keep eyeing something new, but it’s hard to justify when we drive so little and in six months have probably had both cars out together two or three times.

No more of that talk or you will be banished along with the G35😇
    It's mostly that our MYP is scheduled for delivery on Tuesday and I'm wondering whether I really need to do two new cars at once. Seems ridiculous.
    The next time the G35 leaves you or your wife stranded, you will see the clearer picture 👌
    Probably, but for now I think I'm going to hold off.
    @28firefighter - Not getting the Elantra N?
    I don't think so - I really like it and want to have it, but my wife's Model Y is coming on Tuesday and I just can't justify the outlay of that much money at once - particularly for a car that will only see like 3000 miles a year.
  • au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,381

I don't think so - I really like it and want to have it, but my wife's Model Y is coming on Tuesday and I just can't justify the outlay of that much money at once - particularly for a car that will only see like 3000 miles a year.

Adulting is hard, yo.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

Where does @28firefighter turn in his CCBA card?😂
    au1994 said:

Adulting is hard, yo.
    The MYP does 0-60 in like 3.5 seconds. Adulting isn't THAT bad.

————————————————-
    That doesn’t sound like logical talk on this board. The hosts are currently reviewing the purpose of continuing your membership in here. :/

jmonroe

@28firefighter said:

Before you go rejecting it, find out what the brokers would give for it.

@qbrozen said:

@28firefighter said:

Before you go rejecting it, find out what the brokers would give for it.

I’d lose for now because of taxes

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    We had the m340i in for its first service earlier this week. Shortly after I dropped my wife off for the pickup, I get a call from her proclaiming that she is in love with a white 4 series that was awaiting pickup. She’s been browsing MINI inventory, as she tends to do every Spring, so I suggest that a 4 series would combine what she loves about the M340i with a style that feels more personal to her.

So…she called our salesperson at the BMW dealer where we bought her M340i last October and my X5 in January and placed an order for an M440i xdrive. Should be a July build with delivery sometime in September. Mineral white over red leather and extended shadowline, and this time she got to check the boxes for all the options she wanted.

And yes…she’s okay with the schnoz.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y