Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Project Cars--You Get to Vote on "Hold 'em or Fold 'em"

Comments

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,090
    As long as the VIN tag is still there that's all you need. They are selling repro bodies for those things now (at least for the HT, dunno about the convertible).

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• texasestexases Member Posts: 10,708
    Take those, add $100,000, and then you'll have something!
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,162
    I had half a mind to stop by the sale and check it out, as it was being held near my office, but didn't do it. Don't want to risk it being a fantastic car for $2500 (you never know, when the estate sale company only thought enough of the car to describe it as "Oldsmobile" they didn't hold it in very high regard, and these estate sale companies can be goofy) and then having to drag it home.

As an aside, this is one of the houses owned by the owner of the car - that's a lot of house and a lot of detail.
    texases said:

Looks just like my wife's first car! Year, paint, etc. Except the paint looks in good shape, unlike the faded silver on hers.

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,983
    edited June 2022
    Silver didn't hold up well unless it was kept clean, waxed and garaged. Sun destroyed the finish. You can see the paint peeling near the back up lights. This was mom's 78 Regency just after we bought it in 82. It was repainted soon after. She loved that car and drove it for years.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

Yep, exposure killed her silver paint (Texas sun). And for metallic paints before clear coats, it didn't take much for the aluminum flakes to be exposed to rapid corrosion, speeding up the process.
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,918

As a kid in the 80s I remember all the silver cars were faded. Deep reds weren’t much better. My Grandfathers (and later mine) 89 Grand Marquis in burgundy was faded all to heck in 1993. I had it completely repainted in 1996 after I smashed it. Guy was a friend of a friend and did an amazing job. It looked better than new. I remember him saying he put six coats of clear on it and then wet sanded it all out. It was like a mirror.

The paints got so much better in the 90s with some exceptions of course. Ford never got white right and dark blue on the Taurus/Sable came off in sheets.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

fintail said:
    I never felt tycoon-enough to aspire to a house like that. It is very nice though. The odd thing is that the majority of the place is either renovated or old but well-kept from what I can see, but the kitchen is very '60s and still has laminate counters - oh, the humanity!! :p

Wow.. amazing house but 1977 called and wants their kitchen back. Soooo tacky that the original (probably SubZero) fridge broke and they just shoved two bottom barrel almond units in.

Taxes are higher than I thought out there

tjc78 said:

Wow.. amazing house but 1977 called and wants their kitchen back. Soooo tacky that the original (probably SubZero) fridge broke and they just shoved two bottom barrel almond units in.

Yeah, maybe even more like 1967. Odd that recent owners spent on updating the bathrooms but left that antique kitchen alone. Those cabinets look like they go back to the 1925 origin of the house.

Yeah maybe the appliances are a little older than I thought. I always associate that color with the 70s. I’m outside so my phone is a little washed out. That’s more yellow than harvest gold.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,314
    How about that nice ceiling patch(a piece of drywall slapped over where a leak occurred)?
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    I recall GM white paint of the era also fell off in patches. Honda black is another I recall being troublesome even in this climate, if not maintained it appeared the clearcoat would fail on horizontal surfaces.
    tjc78 said:

As a kid in the 80s I remember all the silver cars were faded. Deep reds weren’t much better. My Grandfathers (and later mine) 89 Grand Marquis in burgundy was faded all to heck in 1993. I had it completely repainted in 1996 after I smashed it. Guy was a friend of a friend and did an amazing job. It looked better than new. I remember him saying he put six coats of clear on it and then wet sanded it all out. It was like a mirror.

The paints got so much better in the 90s with some exceptions of course. Ford never got white right and dark blue on the Taurus/Sable came off in sheets.

I've seen "The Money Pit" enough times to know how a house like that would go. I think the kitchen could be fixed up without a ton of work, maybe make it more retro than the 60s-70s. That kind of terraced range with a pop up thing that looks like an alarm clock is kind of cool.

The one real vain/unneccessary update I did to my house before moving in was replacing the counters, really makes a difference to my eyes, and not insanely expensive, as the cabinets were fine.
    ab348 said:

fintail said:
    I never felt tycoon-enough to aspire to a house like that. It is very nice though. The odd thing is that the majority of the place is either renovated or old but well-kept from what I can see, but the kitchen is very '60s and still has laminate counters - oh, the humanity!! :p
    What would it be in NJ? Rates don't seem bad here, it's the high values that get you (we also have no state income tax).
    tjc78 said:

Taxes are higher than I thought out there

@fintail said:
    What would it be in NJ? Rates don't seem bad here, it's the high values that get you (we also have no state income tax).

At least double or more. In NJ the home’s assessed value in many cases is much lower than the current market. I looked at some 2.4M homes and the taxes were 30K but assessed only at 1.1M

My house street value is probably 550-600 and it is assessed at 410K. Taxes are just shy of 15K.

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,652
    fintail said:

I had half a mind to stop by the sale and check it out, as it was being held near my office, but didn't do it. Don't want to risk it being a fantastic car for $2500 (you never know, when the estate sale company only thought enough of the car to describe it as "Oldsmobile" they didn't hold it in very high regard, and these estate sale companies can be goofy) and then having to drag it home.

As an aside, this is one of the houses owned by the owner of the car - that's a lot of house and a lot of detail.

texases said:

Looks just like my wife's first car! Year, paint, etc. Except the paint looks in good shape, unlike the faded silver on hers.

Why would a guy with a $2.2 million house keep an old clunker Oldsmobile? That’s not a 442 is it?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

sda said:

Silver didn't hold up well unless it was kept clean, waxed and garaged. Sun destroyed the finish. You can see the paint peeling near the back up lights. This was mom's 78 Regency just after we bought it in 82. It was repainted soon after. She loved that car and drove it for years.

I had an ‘82 Delta 88 Royale 2 door that was pretty spiffy but a piece of junk mechanically. Sold it with only 74k on the clock because of the constant break downs.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

Yikes. My assessed value is in the low 300s and my taxes are around 2800 IIRC.
    tjc78 said:

@fintail said:

At least double or more. In NJ the home’s assessed value in many cases is much lower than the current market. I looked at some 2.4M homes and the taxes were 30K but assessed only at 1.1M

My house street value is probably 550-600 and it is assessed at 410K. Taxes are just shy of 15K.

@fintail said:

Yep! And you can only deduct up to 10K on your taxes

edited June 2022
    Not a 442. Maybe bought it new and liked it, or it belonged to a loved one. There was also a 1983 (I think) Riviera convertible in the listing, but no photo in the latest ad. I suspect there are other cars, but the estate sale company isn't giving much detail.

Owner was maybe what one would call eccentric - independently wealthy, old money, but worked as a social worker and was something of a philanthropist and was apparently well-liked. He owned numerous old houses and a massive amount of furnishings.

fintail said:

texases said:

Why would a guy with a $2.2 million house keep an old clunker Oldsmobile? That’s not a 442 is it?
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,793
    edited June 2022
    ab348 said:

fintail said:
    Well, sure, but in a house like that, it's the help that spend all the time in there. So, why splurge for luxurious when you're already paying them? :D
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    edited June 2022
    Just got the Mustang back, trans rebuilt. Major difference in shifting, probably better than ever.
    Plus new RMS, so hopefully no more oil leak.
    First thing off the extensive list is crossed off.

Just got the Mustang back, trans rebuilt. Major difference in shifting, probably better than ever.
    Plus new RMS, so hopefully no more oil leak.
    First thing off the extensive list is crossed off.

How much did that cost? When I blew out the transmission in my ‘69 Plymouth it only cost $190 to rebuild. I’m guessing it was somewhere between that and $7,000 for a new CVT.

Cost about $2600 including new RMS(nominal cost) and taxes.
  • Liana_ScottLiana_Scott Member Posts: 1
    steine13 said:

>> titled once to the original owner
    Funny. I subscribe to the myth of the one-owner car, and I can often pick them out when they show up at the used-car lot where I'm a repeat offender... my kid got a message from Subaru that her 6MT Crosstrek is on the truck to the dealership, so I'll get my 2012 Fusion back... i'll be the 5th owner. I also was the third owner, much like the guy who wrote the ad; it was a cashless sale to our daughter when she moved out. That car was so clean I'd have bet "one owner" but there was a lease in Ohio ["southern car!"] and then it was owned by the wife of a biology professor. Definitely garaged and properly maintained.

>> Lincoln's black steering wheel - I think that's an aftermarket wrap
    I've always disliked steering wheel covers, they scream cheap and cheesy... but I stumbled across "Wheelskins" in an online forum. Stitched-on leather covers, supposedly custom sized for the model. My base model 2017 Gd Caravan has a steering wheel that is vinyl, and clearly built to these specs:
    (i) make it cost less than $0.98, and
    (ii) make it feel so nasty that people step up to the next trim level.
    Which would have brought power sliding doors, so no thanks.

For $55 shipped, I ordered a cover, which arrived promptly, and promptly didn't fit -- too narrrow for the rim. I took pictures, and they sent me a wider one, which fits perfectly, at no charge. For practice, I stitched the original one on our old 03 Sienna, and I have to say I'm impressed. It's pleasant to the touch, and it looks pretty good, too. The diameter of the wheel fit perfectly; the diameter of the rim was a little less than ideal, but the material adapts well and doesn't shift. This is a great option for sprucing up older cars, or covering low-rent steering wheels.

cheers -mathias

Instead of spending on this cover you might have a new steering wheel with $100 spent. Badly Stitched
  • gsemikegsemike Member Posts: 2,282
    tjc78 said:

@fintail said:

Yep! And you can only deduct up to 10K on your taxes

I saw a list of the top 12 property tax counties and they were all NY; NJ amd CT. Nassau on Long Island the average is 12 grand so plenty of people pay well more than that. The average in Westchaster is about 14. I think that is the highest

That house on Long Island would probably be over 30 grand, maybe over 40
    Out on the road a bit today, got to honk, at a MT plated Civic veering around a parking lot without a care in the world and apparently not noticing this car which just blends into the background. I love the horns on old MBs, very loud. Seasonably warm in the 80s, although in the car it felt like the 800s - need a window or two down, and when it gets to around 90, I generally don't take the car out, or do it before noon. Car ran fine with no issues, although the gear indicator has slipped a little over time again - now reads R when in P etc, although seems to be working fine otherwise.

The gear indicator misalignment maybe a simple adjustment. I think on dad’s 95 Ciera it had a similar issue and it was just a band on the steering column that needed to be moved back to show the correct gear selection and then tightened up.

Yep, it happened before maybe 20 years ago, and has slowly been going out of alignment the past several years. I think Kent Bergsma fixed it for me the first time, I should go on an owner's forum and get some hints on the adjustment.

When I noticed it was out of alignment yesterday, I worried that I might repeat the incident when the gear selector cable broke (fortunately it did so when the car was in a forward gear, and automatic fintails can start in gear, so it didn't demobilize the car), but it doesn't seem to be connected, I can select gears without apparent issue.
    sda said:

The gear indicator misalignment maybe a simple adjustment. I think on dad’s 95 Ciera it had a similar issue and it was just a band on the steering column that needed to be moved back to show the correct gear selection and then tightened up.

92 Vic is not a Touring Sedan, but nicely equipped. Not many of those got the JBL stereo.

I’d rock the blue Caddy.

The ‘71 Caddy begs the question of why it needs a set of junkyard doors to go with it. Looks nice otherwise.

Big Red would likely be the only one on any block it resides in, but it seems like big money and the black interior is beginning to look tired. I’d hate to have to get any repairs done to something that unique now 60+ years along.

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,537
    I love that brown 76 911. Tasty.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

The Lincoln is in a tough spot. I think most under 50 or so consider it a bit "winga dinga", and with its size, aren't interested. At the same time, boomers who might have restored this kind of stuff in the past, at local shows anyway, seem to be into more normal sized stuff too. It would take the right buyer (and the right price, which this isn't), which might take ages to find.
    edited July 2022
    Noticed one of the wiper blades on the Mustang was separating. Don't want to scratch the windshield.
    Ford doesn't sell the original style blade replacements anymore, but I found a Mustang Parts supplier that does.
    Ended up buying a pair of new OEM style wiper arms, too. A little over $60 delivered.
    I always prefer the look of original wiper blades vs aftermarket. My experience is they also work better and last longer as well.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,046
    I like the look of originals, as well. But, the Bosch Ikons I’ve had have performed better.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

I don't usually drive the car in when there is any precipitation.
    The new style OEM blades are better at removing snow, but I don't have to worry about that.
    Original wiper arms are still good, good spring pressure, but the powder coat is wearing off.
    For the fintail, which also seldom sees anything remotely damp, modern refills just don't look right, with their black plastic blade holders. Every several years I will buy a set of new refills, manually remove the blades, and swap them out into the period correct silver metal holders.
    sda said:

I always prefer the look of original wiper blades vs aftermarket. My experience is they also work better and last longer as well.

Noticed one of the wiper blades on the Mustang was separating. Don't want to scratch the windshield.
    Ford doesn't sell the original style blade replacements anymore, but I found a Mustang Parts supplier that does.
    Ended up buying a pair of new OEM style wiper arms, too. A little over $60 delivered.

It’s funny that you can buy a part for a model T but you can’t get parts for something more recent. I tried everywhere to get replacement headlights for my 95’ Lincoln to no avail.

Was out earlier before it got warm - started and drove fine, got some fresh gas, gear indicator seems to be stable.

Blind spots, never knew 'em:

The wipers, with the correct/vintage style blade holders:

edited July 2022
    What classics are available on Long Island

I usually search 1990 and older (through 50 because I really don't know anything about cars older than that) but it occurred to me, that it's 2021, so to my astoundment, 1990 is 32 years ago. So here it is, 1950 - 1999

Grand National These are way up in value. I have a feeling that if the seller spend an hour on it, it could present much better. These were not well made interiors and the interior looks good

One pic of this BMW and no model listed I think he is trying to avoid saying it's a Ti, but you'll know when you come see it. Paint looks good in the one shot

Lousy pics of this Cutlass but could be OK in person

Unmolested 4 eye fox body Rare sight these days

This 1974 CC Deville looks really good for sitting in a yard and I am obsessed with those Caddy 8 tracks

Let's make it a 1974 Pimpapalooza

I want more pics of this 1950 Dodge but has potential

Ironic that he would say Only Serious People With is paint and the car full of garbage, this BMW 7 is for parts at this point

Want to be the only one at cruise night? Buy this Studebaker Daytona Looks like a lot of work went into this but still manual sterring and brakes

On the same page as that Studebaker there looks to be the bargain of the century.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/3463686520543944/?ref=product_details&referral_code=marketplace_top_picks&referral_story_type=top_picks

No mileage listed which means it probably has a million.

On the same page as that Studebaker there looks to be the bargain of the century.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/3463686520543944/?ref=product_details&referral_code=marketplace_top_picks&referral_story_type=top_picks

Gotta be a scam
    Yep, common scam, meta does a deplorably poor job of controlling this stuff:

https://www.facebook.com/Capt-TJ-107081317869593/vehicles
    gsemike said:

Gotta be a scam
    I like the pimptacular Lincoln on Lawn Guyland, but not for near that money.
    fintail said:

Yep, common scam, meta does a deplorably poor job of controlling this stuff:

https://www.facebook.com/Capt-TJ-107081317869593/vehicles

gsemike said:

Gotta be a scam
    Now, now, don’t jump to conclusions. It might have been used by a Nigerian prince to deliver gold bars to deserving recipients and he just doesn’t need it any more.

Scam city, but how does the scam work? Get the buyer to disclose credit card or bank account?
    I don't know how most any of these scams actually work but it seems to be a growth industry, from the number of faked text messages and automated voice mails I get that are telling me companies I've never done business with want to send me money if only I press 1 or click here. The robocalls are so bad I have essentially stopped answering the landline.