Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

50s, 60s, 70s, 80s 90s Detroit luxury.... in new(er) cars

SandrineSandrine Member Posts: 3
edited May 2022 in General
Hello... and might I please ask for opinions:
I am 73 years old, without a spouse, and still working full time. I drive 1500 miles per year, currently in a 1999LincolnContinental, which looks new. I routinely keep a car for 20years, so my next purchase will need to last for the rest of my life. I fully understand that cars need to be properly maintained, and luckily, I found a very good garage near-by, whose owner is foreign-born, and is thus familiar will all types of car-repairs; going to the Dealer is not how I was trained by my Father.

I'm sure that many readers will intuit what the current dilemma is:

What do I buy, as a late model pre-owned car ( as I cannot possibly justify a brand-new car when driving only 1500 miles per year)... that is reminiscent of the output of "classic" Detroit, when luxury marks were luxurious and posh without apology or explanation; this is the kind of car I grew-up with, as-in: Lincolns and Cadillacs. I really wish to stick-with a classic sedan or coupe rather than a cross-over/SUV type vehicle. My preference would be to buy "American" ... but "the pickins' is slim". If I were to choose, overall, the Mercedes CL-class comes the very closest... but friends have warned my that the maintenance on this type vehicle is is absurdly and unrealistically expensive . Again, I understand the concept of vehicle maintenance... but if annual maintenance approaches $5,000.00, frankly: "I'd rather have it hanging from my ears"!
Please assist... referencing the above as guidance; I shall sincerely thank-you in-advance for your kind efforts.
Belonging to a different world... apparently long-gone,
Sandrine

Comments

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,012
    @andre1969 & @tjc78 - I think I hear your names being called!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• texasestexases Member Posts: 10,705
    edited May 2022
    Toyota Avalon or Lexus ES350.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    If used, maybe a Cadillac CT6 (now discontinued)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• SandrineSandrine Member Posts: 3
    Thank-you very much for taking the time to respond as to:
    50's, 60's 70's 80's, 90's classic Detroit luxury. I am very appreciative!
  • SandrineSandrine Member Posts: 3
    Thank-you very much for taking the time to respond as to:
    50's, 60's 70's 80's, 90's classic Detroit luxury. I am very appreciative!