Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,439
    good luck with it!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

was actually telling my wife that once we move, I want to get an EV. our needs at the new place would fit much better. My big issue was we did a lot of high speed runs up north, usually leaving after dinner, and dealing with range shortage and charging was a non starter. But, once we move, that goes away. the majority of our drives to visit will be in the 20-40 mile window. with most of our day to day stuff in the 10-20 mile round trip range. So I could use one normally and probably only have to charge once a week. on the off time we went to visit the non-local family it is either 150 or 200 miles each way. So either take the 2nd car (Maverick) or just need to recharge once.

of course it means selling the wife's car so would have to make sure she could deal with driving an EV (for the little bit of driving she does these days) or the Maverick (I'm sure she could handle that).

if I flip the Maverick for a hybrid and the RDX for an Ioniq5 or some such, I would barely have any idea how much gas cost!

plan B would be a nice plug in hybrid for her assuming they ever become available again (I assume not until gas prices come back down).

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,236
    The Prius lives, but not without scaring the crap out of me by lighting up every idiot light and refusing to go into gear, throwing yet another hybrid system error code... It appears I did not have the safety disconnect on the hybrid battery properly seated. I drove it long enough to mostly charge the hybrid pack and will worry about putting the interior back together later. I will also check to see whether the hybrid battery goes dead after a couple of days of non-use like it was before the repair. If it passes this hurdle, it's time for an oil change.

Also did the last tire rotation on the Tundra at Discount Tire this morning and reset the service light. Oddly, they said they would probably recommend replacing the tires at the next rotation. They are about 7.5/32" by my measurement. Won't be my problem. :D
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,333

We are down to one car right now. Quite a far cry from the 4 in the driveway and 2 on order about 3 months ago.

2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,118

We are down to one car right now. Quite a far cry from the 4 in the driveway and 2 on order about 3 months ago.

Update the signature line, and again tomorrow?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,562
    stickguy said:

was actually telling my wife that once we move, I want to get an EV. our needs at the new place would fit much better. My big issue was we did a lot of high speed runs up north, usually leaving after dinner, and dealing with range shortage and charging was a non starter. But, once we move, that goes away. the majority of our drives to visit will be in the 20-40 mile window. with most of our day to day stuff in the 10-20 mile round trip range. So I could use one normally and probably only have to charge once a week. on the off time we went to visit the non-local family it is either 150 or 200 miles each way. So either take the 2nd car (Maverick) or just need to recharge once.

of course it means selling the wife's car so would have to make sure she could deal with driving an EV (for the little bit of driving she does these days) or the Maverick (I'm sure she could handle that).

if I flip the Maverick for a hybrid and the RDX for an Ioniq5 or some such, I would barely have any idea how much gas cost!

plan B would be a nice plug in hybrid for her assuming they ever become available again (I assume not until gas prices come back down).

Check the electric rates in this area before you do that.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

Kind of depends--in my city, if you are good at gaming the system, you can generally score free charging a decent amount of the time.
    I would shoot for one that came with a good amount of free charging. if that still exists. And most likely still cheaper than gas if charging overnight.

depending on which way it faces. could also go solar at the same time.

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,562
    stickguy said:

I would shoot for one that came with a good amount of free charging. if that still exists. And most likely still cheaper than gas if charging overnight.

depending on which way it faces. could also go solar at the same time.

Just don’t be like some of the people I see around me who got talked into putting solar panels on the East or West….or (gasp!) North facing roof. On the way to one of our offices there’s even a house with a perfect southern exposure that has the solar panels shaded by two 50’ trees.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,031
    I imagine stick's latest scheme might go awry the first time Mrs. stick runs out of juice.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,686
    Again, in my area, most of the charging stations I've encountered (Chargepoint, Volta come to mind) remain free, subsidized by the local businesses in whose parking lots they reside.
    When not free, .22/kwh + cost (DC chargers ~50% higher from my very limited notice).

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

VW used to offer unlimited free charging for 3 years.

Now, I think the offer is limited to 30 minutes at a charging station, still for 3 years.

Not that I suspect we'll ever use a charging station outside of the one we will install in our garage.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    This is just too cute to not bid on. (not a pic of the exact one, but similar)

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    qbrozen said:

Do you really need us to enable you? ;)
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    tifighter said:

I’m thinking these EV thingys might just catch on, one day…

The problem for me is that I like the $508 per month payment on my $60 something thousand dollar Wrangler. Also the fact that it is a 4 door, 4WD, Convertible that gets over 30 mpg is great. A Model 3 would be great for one of us to drive, especially given the range on our gas powered Highlander is barely 300 miles. We still need a 3 row SUV though. So if I get a $60K Model 3 for my wife. The $1000 per month payment would be the same as my $850 per month Highlander payment with what we are paying for gas now.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891

Do you really need us to enable you? ;)

Not asking. Just informing. Lol.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497

The Model 3 is gone. Sold it to GiveMeTheVIN and dropped it off to manheim Seattle. Cleared $2500 profit after purchase price, taxes, fees, tags etc.

Model Y scheduled for delivery tomorrow.

We need to refer to you as BRELD-Lite.

The Model 3 is gone. Sold it to GiveMeTheVIN and dropped it off to manheim Seattle. Cleared $2500 profit after purchase price, taxes, fees, tags etc.

How long did you have the Model 3 for? What was the mileage total?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,465
    qbrozen said:

————————————————-
    Cute? I guess beauty really is in the eye of the looker. :/

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,031
    That thing looks like it should be on the crowded streets of Islamabad, decorated with icons and shiny things.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

nyccarguy said:

How long did you have the Model 3 for? What was the mileage total?
    8 months, 3500 miles.
  • dad23dad23 Member Posts: 866
    edited June 2022
    I spy a nice looking Rivian on carsandbids.com...
    Darn, I should have made that $15,000 opening bid!
    dad23 said:

I was about to post that link - glad you found it first!

Probably won't be any more action on it until the last hour or two.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

@corvette said:
    Darn, I should have made that $15,000 opening bid!

————————————————-
    I bid 55K, and that didn’t last long so your 15K offer would have been downright insulting. :'(

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    edited June 2022
    I checked BaT and there were 3 sold, all launch editions.
    2400 miles, just under 108k, other 2 around 500 miles, just under 120k.
    I hope he gets a good number.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,936

It has arrived!

Refresh our memory how you optioned it.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

Sharp looking! I don't mind the white with black wheels.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Pearl White over Black Interior, Tow Hitch, Performance Package.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    @28firefighter,
    I'll be interested in your comparison of it to the 3.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,761

It has arrived!

Quick - call Cars & Bids! :D

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,761

I checked BaT and there were 3 sold, all launch editions.
    2400 miles, just under 108k, other 2 around 500 miles, just under 120k.
    I hope he gets a good number.

Looks like it is already into profitable territory. Should bode well for a final bid where jpp was hoping to have it.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    nice looking Tesla. That is the hatchback version. right?

I am actually very curious what my wife would think about it, and if she liked driving one. I should find one to test drive once we move. She might like it. Or quite possibly hate it.

actually the tech interface may be a bigger issue than the propulsion system. She might not even notice that. unless she gets caught out with a shortage of electrons!

one of those would be plenty roomy enough for us, especially since our main times filling a car up with stuff includes Christmas, and now that will be local. And I would take the truck for our annual trip to the shore.

stickguy said:

I am actually very curious what my wife would think about it, and if she liked driving one. I should find one to test drive once we move. She might like it. Or quite possibly hate it.

actually the tech interface may be a bigger issue than the propulsion system. She might not even notice that. unless she gets caught out with a shortage of electrons!

one of those would be plenty roomy enough for us, especially since our main times filling a car up with stuff includes Christmas, and now that will be local. And I would take the truck for our annual trip to the shore.

If you are looking at EVs, you should consider some other brands - specifically, those that still allow you to take the $7500 tax credit.

Also, how close would you be to a Tesla delivery / service center? I've read stories about the hassles customers have getting service performed.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

@Michaell said:
    If you are looking at EVs, you should consider some other brands - specifically, those that still allow you to take the $7500 tax credit.

Also, how close would you be to a Tesla delivery / service center? I've read stories about the hassles customers have getting service performed.

————————————————
    Are you trying to say people buy them then fall out of love with Elon? Gee, whoda thunk that.

jmonroe

• jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535
    dad23 said:

:smiley:@Michaell and I have been discussing how the pricing on earlier bids don't seem to follow any pattern but regardless I'm happy with the early bids. Like @Michaell said I'm sure it will stay fairly flat until the end and we'll see what it ends up at, but not a bad return on my deposit from 2019!

@28firefighter,
    I'll be interested in your comparison of it to the 3.

Same, I had the 3 for a while but curious to hear how different you find the Y, if at all.
    Michaell said:

stickguy said:

I actually would look to get an Ioniq5 if I went looking right now I think. Not that I have looked at any of these in person.

mostly a thought exercise at this point. maybe by year end we will feel like doing something!

@jpp75 - congrats & best of luck with selling your Rivian!

stickguy said:

Michaell said:

stickguy said:

I actually would look to get an Ioniq5 if I went looking right now I think. Not that I have looked at any of these in person.

mostly a thought exercise at this point. maybe by year end we will feel like doing something!
    No real rush. Saw a note today that the VW plant in TN is starting to roll off preproduction ID.4s. Supposed to start real production next month, with ultimately up to 7000 delivered to dealers monthly. Might clear out the NA backlog by the time you think about getting in the market.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

mostly need to see what dealers are close by. a MachE might make sense. There is a Ford dealer about 5 minutes away from the new place! Hyundai, Honda and Nissan (and Chevy) I know are close too.

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,936
    I saw my first Rivian today on my drive to work. It was behind me with the lights and grille illuminated, very distinctive. Certainly not in the same category but reminds me of the first Mercury Sable with the continuous light bar that linked with the headlights which illuminated the entire front end. I changed lanes and I then saw the tail lights and rear light bar also illuminated. I couldn’t make out the color, it could have been dark green or black, it was still early am. Temp tags on it.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

nyccarguy said:

@jpp75 - congrats & best of luck with selling your Rivian!

Thanks! I really like the Rivian and certainly have no complaints. They did a great job overall and if the market were different and the charging infrastructure was more robust I'd have no issue keeping it.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,686
    stickguy said:

mostly need to see what dealers are close by. a MachE might make sense. There is a Ford dealer about 5 minutes away from the new place! Hyundai, Honda and Nissan (and Chevy) I know are close too.

Not to get you too excited, but there's a Karma dealer in Albany.
    You're welcome.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)