Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,793
    edited June 2022
    @explorerx4

I'm now consistently getting 35-37 mpg running to work every day, so I think I would get pretty solid mileage from Conneaut to Connecticut. At least 30+. The trip the other way would be far more modest, for sure. Excepting the headwinds I experienced all across the plains last year, I consistently ran 16 mpg, even with the trailer fully loaded (about 7K#), so I should be able to get 18-19 pulling your car (estimating 15% improved fuel economy).

I don't know what to expect for fuel prices, but let's say $7/gal. If I run an average of 27 mpg (36 + 18 / 2), yeah, that's about $320. I know UHaul likes to rob people for one-way trips, so maybe find out what a pickup/drop off at same location is. I could pick up and drop off in Erie or Ashtabula very easily.

Even running the trailer both ways, it might be significantly cheaper (assuming your original 20 mpg estimate with an empty flatbed going one way). When I rented one up here five year ago to haul my wife's 2010 Forester home after it got killed, the cost was $65 for a single day rental. We would only need the trailer two days.

I just took a few minutes to look up cost there, and it looks like $134 for two days including damage coverage (Uhaul trailer) and available in Ashtabula. $110 for just the trailer.

------

It's an option, anyway. We won't be down there until ~8/15. And, you weren't kidding about 1,200 miles!
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,382
    edited June 2022
    Man! She really gave it the once over!

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,557
    corvette said:

Scooter decided to investigate a suspicious smell on the Prius after our walk this morning—the marks in the dust are from her nose and ears. The dust came from a weekend hiking trip to the Hemlock Cliffs in Indiana, which was great, as always.

————————————————-
    Thanks to her now you gotta wax it. :/

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,940
    snag with the dealership. Shocking, I know.
    Looks like I can't get approved with the office I chose. The jerks work very hard to prevent small startups. My office has to be separated from any other business by firewall (not the IT kind, but the physical kind). AND, they insist on a lease for said place that will extend to at least the end of the initial license (April 2023). In other words, they expect someone to sign a long-term lease for a property that may not meet their requirements.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,537
    Time to move into commercial rental property. Buy a building for your needs, and rent out some of it.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,051
    That seems to be typical in most states. I had a co-worker who had a used car lot, and the rules were numerous and similar to what you are experiencing.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,604
    Having done some commercial leases myself, a lease through Apr 23 seems exceptionally short.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

tifighter said:

Having done some commercial leases myself, a lease through Apr 23 seems exceptionally short.

Seems exceptionally long to the person paying it without a license to sell anything from it.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

stickguy said:

Time to move into commercial rental property. Buy a building for your needs, and rent out some of it.

Buying has crossed my mind.

Get some kind of old repair shop. Like the YouTube guys get. Then you can use the lift, etc. for your own projects.

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    Message to Volvo - If I wanted a slow car that couldn't go any faster than 112 MPH I'd buy a '95 Neon.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    stickguy said:

Get some kind of old repair shop. Like the YouTube guys get. Then you can use the lift, etc. for your own projects.

found one for sale, but it is too far away

@qbrozen said:
    found one for sale, but it is too far away

————————————————
    No problem, stand on the long pedal a little more.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,655
    stickguy said:

Hoovie’s place is still up for grabs. :*

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

I don't care that it was in Newton KS, that place was a steal for $75k

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,265
    edited June 2022

Hoovie’s place is still up for grabs. :*

Floor strength is good for one Ferrari.
    edited July 2022
    stickguy said:

I don't care that it was in Newton KS, that place was a steal for $75k

Sure, it would be a longish commute but you couldn’t ask for a more centrally located spot for his poster buddies to patronize.

I think YouTube is listening in on this discussion because this just came up on my recommended list:

https://youtu.be/iuokcKGvxXM

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

Hers a truck for you Farmer. Nice Florida rig. Miles a little higher than you prefer though.

Or maybe would work for QBs new business, fetching JDM hoopties from the port

https://modsandmiles.com/auction-details/?vuid=2001-Peterbuilt-330-Custom--WJcxL

@stickguy said:
    Hers a truck for you Farmer. Nice Florida rig. Miles a little higher than you prefer though.

https://modsandmiles.com/auction-details/?vuid=2001-Peterbuilt-330-Custom--WJcxL

Can’t see all pics at the moment because I’m waiting near the Baltimore port, but looks pretty damned sweet from what I see so far.

Yeah… Montway screwed me so I rented a dolly this morn and headed down here to fetch the car myself.

Always thought you could tow a RWD car backwards, but the interwebs says no. Something about breaking the steering linkage. I find that very odd because why would it break when it can be driven normally the roads without that happening. Anyway, going to disconnect driveshaft instead. Or at least try to. Worst case, suggestion is to leave it in neutral but with engine running so it pumps trans fluid the whole time. Hopefully ai can avoid that.

stickguy said:

————————————————
    I know what they said about the mileage but if @oldfarmer50 buys it his first use of it should be to get all the heavy replacement parts it’ll need so he won’t have to rent a U-Haul to get them. If it was so reliable why would a trucker worth his salt have sold it?

jmonroe
    edited July 2022
    qbrozen said:

Always thought you could tow a RWD car backwards, but the interwebs says no. Something about breaking the steering linkage. I find that very odd because why would it break when it can be driven normally the roads without that happening. Anyway, going to disconnect driveshaft instead. Or at least try to. Worst case, suggestion is to leave it in neutral but with engine running so it pumps trans fluid the whole time. Hopefully ai can avoid that.

Q, it really depends on how far you are towing it, etc. I have towed RWD automatics backwards on a dolly... once about 250 miles... no issues. However, at that distance, if I had to do it again, I would definitely pull the driveshaft and pull it forward.

If you're pulling it a short distance, I would just put the rear wheels on the dolly and call it good.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250

Sounds a lot easier to have a full trailer. Just need more towing capacity.

Well, I think that depends on whether you hammer it to 195 and get 100 mile range on a charge. Not that you've tried, mind you, but worth considering.
    stickguy said:

That’s quite a monstrosity.

So I've had an opportunity to get a lot of seat time in the Y this last week, and I have to say, I'm really impressed across the board. I know folks have had fit and finish issues, issues with material quality, etc. - but I'm really happy and feel like we got our money's worth. No rattles, no panel gaps, no marks - nothing. Having the extra space on the interior and the easier entry relative to the 3 has been a really nice change - it is also much quieter on the highway, which might be a function of the double layer glass on the doors.

As far as performance, well, it's a rocket. If I had one complaint, it is that it handles speed so well and is so quiet, that you really do not know how fast you're going unless you pay attention. The difference between 45 mph and 95 mph is barely perceptible. Not that I've tried.

Also, fun fact, if you keep hammering it off the line it really kills your range - I'm sure everyone is surprised to hear that. Again, not that I've been testing it out.

The only decision we need to make is whether I want to swap the Pirelli PZero summer tires out for Michelin Pilot 4S All seasons and use that year round, or buy a second set of wheels/tires that are smaller for fall/winter use when it gets cooler out.

The Pilot 4S all seasons I put on my Mustang are night and day better than the all season Pirellis that came with the car.

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,232
    I had to take the daughter's MINI into the dealer. Driving to work yesterday, she reported the low battery warning light came on. Research showed that it could be the alternator or alternator belt, so scheduled an appointment.

Turns out the battery was about to fail, so I had it replaced. The old battery only lasted 3 years.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

Michaell said:

I had to take the daughter's MINI into the dealer. Driving to work yesterday, she reported the low battery warning light came on. Research showed that it could be the alternator or alternator belt, so scheduled an appointment.

Turns out the battery was about to fail, so I had it replaced. The old battery only lasted 3 years.

———————————————-
    Batteries today don’t last as long as they used to but only getting 3 years out of one is pretty bad. Did it have a prorated warranty?

jmonroe
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    xwesx said:

Well, I think that depends on whether you hammer it to 195 and get 100 mile range on a charge. Not that you've tried, mind you, but worth considering.

If you hit 195 MPH you get extended range from the momentum; you could run out of juice and still make it over to the next gas.... errr.. charging station.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,232
    jmonroe1 said:

Michaell said:

———————————————-
    Batteries today don’t last as long as they used to but only getting 3 years out of one is pretty bad. Did it have a prorated warranty?

jmonroe
    I didn't check.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,390

The good news, @breld, is you could keep it for your normal ownership duration and probably still turn it for that enormous profit.

2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    Water is wet.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    I got an email from Lucid about that same thing (choose a different configuration to get it faster). I haven't had time to look at it.

Just got home from my white-knuckle journey. More later.

qbrozen said:

I got an email from Lucid about that same thing (choose a different configuration to get it faster). I haven't had time to look at it.

————————————————
    As long as it followed you home you should be fine. ;)

jmonroe
    edited July 2022
    andres3 said:

xwesx said:

If you hit 195 MPH you get extended range from the momentum; you could run out of juice and still make it over to the next gas.... errr.. charging station.
    Typo on my part. Meant to say "95" but must have got ahead of myself with the next comment's number. That's pretty funny, though. I think you're probably pretty close to correct.... as long as you turn off regen braking!
    edited July 2022
    qbrozen said:

White knuckle journey?! I know those... and I just cannot imagine this was that. However, I can imagine it being at least interesting. Now I'm going to be waiting with bated breath. What a way to start Automotive Maintenance Weekend. :/

Ah, well. Happy AMW, everyone!
    breld said:

....But then that got me to thinking, if I do decide to keep it, I’d probably want the SUV. That would probably put me into next year, though I still get the original pricing.

I’m all over the place.

You might not keep them long, but you sure take the buying process seriously! I approve, and, frankly, it sounds like a good problem to have regardless of which way you go with it! Good luck. B)
    qbrozen said:

It followed alright. Nothing quite like constantly being fooled out of the corners of your eyes thinking someone is about to ram you. Lol.

————————————————
    Well, if it did you’d know who to sue.

jmonroe
    I went in for my first oil change today and tried to find the sales manager I dealt with, but she was not in the dealership right then. so did not get with her. So sent an email when I got home. I expect that to get ignored or at best get back a generic "we will let you know when we know more" response.

@xwesx said:
    White knuckle journey?! I know those... and I just cannot imagine this was that. However, I can imagine it being at least interesting. Now I'm going to be waiting with bated breath. What a way to start Automotive Maintenance Weekend. :/

Ah, well. Happy AMW, everyone!

Could have been worse, I suppose. But a lot of unknowns and right at or slightly above the manufacturer’s suggested towing capacity, and without trailer brakes.

I will say it was better than I feared, but tiring nonetheless, especially on NJ highways where everyone wants to play chicken with all the overloaded vehicles on the road.

The tl;dr on the Maverick orders is that late-ordered 2022 models (late here meaning December 2021 to the order cutoff in January 2022) with constraints are likely not to be built as 2022 models (mine fits both of those criteria). If you have an unscheduled 2022 order, Ford will give you a "private offer" on a 2023 which is supposed to make up the difference for any 2023 price increases, and you will have the option of making at least some changes to your 2023 build, although it is not clear you will be able to switch from an Ecoboost to a hybrid or vice versa. You are also supposed to have priority over new 2023 orders. I'm not clear on whether the 0% financing and the $750 private offer I already had at the time I ordered a 2022 would potentially carry over.

A handful of options:
    1. Buy the Tundra (it appears to be presently worth slightly more than its lease buyout even after the $2,350-ish sales tax hit I'd have to take); sell it for whatever it's worth when the Maverick arrives. No guarantee of what that figure will be, though.
    2. Buy a reasonably priced used CUV to tide me over. What I have gone and looked at in the $10k range has been in very bad condition, to the point that I am tired of looking.
    3. Lease a Tacoma or 4Xe. Either drop the Maverick order or plan to immediately resell it upon arrival.
    4. My parents seldom drive their Q5 and don't really need a second car. They have offered to lend it to me until the Maverick arrives. I'd feel guilty about using it as a daily and, at the very minimum, getting dog hair in it that will probably never completely come out, but it would be nicer than most cars I've driven.

I would still keep the Prius but wouldn't have to rely on it as a daily. Obviously #4 is the most economical option, but #2 and #3 pull very strongly because I'm a CCBA. Any thoughts?
    take the family loaner and you can keep looking for a different alternative. I would not expect the Maverick much if any before New Years.

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    corvette said:

4. My parents seldom drive their Q5 and don't really need a second car. They have offered to lend it to me until the Maverick arrives. I'd feel guilty about using it as a daily and, at the very minimum, getting dog hair in it that will probably never completely come out, but it would be nicer than most cars I've driven.

I have hauled many dogs in many different cars, and trucks, and vans, and minivans, and ... You name it, I've hauled dogs in it. Big dogs, little dogs, long haired dogs that shed prodigiously, I've hauled 'em. And cleaned up after them. Dog hair is not that bad, it's really a much simpler cleaning job than cigarette smoke or the smell from dead mice (don't ask). A good vacuum cleaner, plenty of packing tape, and a little Febreze and you're in good shape.

The absolute worst case, pay a couple of hundred to a detail shop.

2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
    stickguy said:

take the family loaner and you can keep looking for a different alternative. I would not expect the Maverick much if any before New Years.

————————————————-
    What year?

jmonroe

@jmonroe 2018, first of the current model. It is probably due for annual service (prepaid), so I could probably take care of that while it’s here.

corvette said:

@jmonroe 2018, first of the current model. It is probably due for annual service (prepaid), so I could probably take care of that while it’s here.

————————————————
    I was talking about the Maverick order.

jmonroe