Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,964

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

@ab348
    We had symptoms so we got tested. The federal government mandates to quarantine for 10 days after international travel, if you test positive. If we didn't get tested we could be out spreading it in stores, and to friends and relatives. You are wise to take precautions ab. I think the attitude now is, if you are compromised, take necessary precautions, everyone else, - let's get back to business and if you get it it will be like having a cold or worse case the flu.
    It is probably the right thing, as this will probably be around for a long time now.

btw They could call the house, or automated call, or visit to make sure we are at home, no taking Trixie for a walk, no going outside....up to $5000 fine if we get caught out of the house.

————————————————-
    Hmm, I just learned that Canada is a police state.

jmonroe
    I am 75 so I should be extra careful regarding covid. I think our rules were a little stronger than they had to be but our caution actually did work in our favor. It paid off if you go by the numbers, remember Canada has 1/10th of the population of the U.S.
    Number of covid deaths in the U.S. 1.02 million
    Number of covid deaths in Canada 42000 (that is less than half what it would have been)
    *As far as people dying from the vaccine, at most 14000 in the world died from getting vaccinated.
    The number who died from covid is 6.34 million.

Today's new variants aren't as strong so they just disable you for awhile. Covid had adapted to some degree, if a virus kills it's host it can't survive forever. So it changes so it only makes the host ill, and if things stay like this that will hopefully happen. But saying the vaccine is going to kill you is an excuse for people who are afraid of vaccines or modern medicine!

Florida where there were no rules is interesting to compare....deaths.
    Population of Florida 22 million, 75000 deaths
    Population of Ontario Canada 15 million, number of deaths 15000.

Until recently people had to have a test within 72 hours of flying....that just ended about a month ago. It was a pain but that probably would have saved us.
    My question then becomes how did Canada define a COVID death? was it like here in the U.S. where if you died with COVID it was considered a COVID death regardless of the actual cause of death?
    There was no exact way to count covid deaths in any jurisdiction. Some counted it a covid death if the person had covid but died from something else. I think jurisdictions counted as best as they could. But, I would say once again, the numbers are so different, that those factors would make up a small number of miscounts. One thing in favor of the U.S. is your hospital capacity per capita is much greater which should give you an advantage. Then again, our healthcare is free to all, so some people get treated but in the U.S. some people may not be able to afford hospitalization. Still, the difference in numbers is too great even factoring in those differences. Masks social distancing and vaccines are the biggest factors.
    At the beginning of this mess the CDC did announce that they were counting anyone who died with COVID was going to be counted as a COVID death. There was a big outcry over this when someone who was killed in a motorcycle accident in, I believe, Florida was counted as a COVID death because s/he was infected. Make me question the total deaths.
    The numbers probably balance out. Some counted anyone who died and had covid as a covid case, some only counted direct covid deaths. We had the same problem in Canada. Those numbers make the counts inaccurate, but not enough to make up 2 to 4X as many deaths.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,562
    edited July 2022
    driver100 said:

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

@ab348
    We had symptoms so we got tested. The federal government mandates to quarantine for 10 days after international travel, if you test positive. If we didn't get tested we could be out spreading it in stores, and to friends and relatives. You are wise to take precautions ab. I think the attitude now is, if you are compromised, take necessary precautions, everyone else, - let's get back to business and if you get it it will be like having a cold or worse case the flu.
    It is probably the right thing, as this will probably be around for a long time now.

btw They could call the house, or automated call, or visit to make sure we are at home, no taking Trixie for a walk, no going outside....up to $5000 fine if we get caught out of the house.

————————————————-

jmonroe
    I am 75 so I should be extra careful regarding covid. I think our rules were a little stronger than they had to be but our caution actually did work in our favor. It paid off if you go by the numbers, remember Canada has 1/10th of the population of the U.S.
    Number of covid deaths in Canada 42000 (that is less than half what it would have been)
    *As far as people dying from the vaccine, at most 14000 in the world died from getting vaccinated.

Today's new variants aren't as strong so they just disable you for awhile. Covid had adapted to some degree, if a virus kills it's host it can't survive forever. So it changes so it only makes the host ill, and if things stay like this that will hopefully happen. But saying the vaccine is going to kill you is an excuse for people who are afraid of vaccines or modern medicine!

Until recently people had to have a test within 72 hours of flying....that just ended about a month ago. It was a pain but that probably would have saved us.
    My question then becomes how did Canada define a COVID death? was it like here in the U.S. where if you died with COVID it was considered a COVID death regardless of the actual cause of death?
    There was no exact way to count covid deaths in any jurisdiction. Some counted it a covid death if the person had covid but died from something else. I think jurisdictions counted as best as they could. But, I would say once again, the numbers are so different, that those factors would make up a small number of miscounts. One thing in favor of the U.S. is your hospital capacity per capita is much greater which should give you an advantage. Then again, our healthcare is free to all, so some people get treated but in the U.S. some people may not be able to afford hospitalization. Still, the difference in numbers is too great even factoring in those differences. Masks social distancing and vaccines are the biggest factors.
    In the US a hospital can’t refuse to treat anyone for lack of insurance or money. After you’re well they’ll pick you clean though. I’m sure there are horror stories but I doubt anyone was thrown out of a hospital with covid.
    If someone couldn't pay, were they placed in ICU, were they on respirators? My understanding is you have to be able to pay before getting services.
    I’m no expert but I believe hospitals have to provide service regardless. When my wife was sick they never tried to throw her out even though we had no insurance. They even gave her rehab before discharge. I believe in most cases they would apply an indignant patient for government funded health care. If you have any means they bankrupt you later but you still get the care. Despite what you may hear I don’t think there were people dying in the street from covid.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

@oldfarmer50 I certainly didn't want to imply that people were dying in the street. But people may not see a doctor or take kids to the doctor if it is going to cost them....money they may not have. When we are in Florida we have travel insurance, $5000 deductible. Mrs D100 went for a skin problem, they knew what to do, but it cost $200 out of pocket. They wanted to do a scan but said you should do it back home, it would cost a few $100 or was it $1000 to have it done in Florida, they knew there would be no cost, in Ontario.

I got these today...hope they brighten your day;

Subject: Adult Truths

*I think part of a best friend's job should be to immediately clear your computer history if you die.
    *Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.
    *There is a great need for a sarcasm font.
    *How the hell are you supposed to fold a fitted sheet?
    *Map Quest really needs to start their directions on #5. I'm pretty sure I know how to get out of my neighborhood.
    *Obituaries would be a lot more interesting if they told you how the person died.
    *I can't remember the last time I wasn't at least ‘kind of’ tired.
    *Bad decisions make good stories.
    *You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
    *Can we all just agree to ignore whatever comes after Blue Ray? I don't want to have to restart my collection... again.
    *I'm always slightly terrified when I exit out of Word and it asks me if I want to save any changes to my ten-page technical report that I swear I did not make any changes to

Have fun!

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665

Happy fourth, folks.
    Short trip to New Hampshire to see Tedeschi Trucks band (with Los Lobos) at Meadowbrook. She can sang, he can play. Man, can he play.
    A7 was fabulous, it just eats miles effortlessly. AC worked fine, knock wood... But, no convenient place to plug in; there were, of course stations, but not at the hotel, nor the concert arena. Only about a three hundred miles round trip but in a BEV, would have had to stop somewhere to juice. MPG was 40+.
    BJs gas $5.38 on way up, Costco $5.28 on way back, PUG>

Oooooohhhh….that sounds like a great concert line-up. I’m a huge TT fan!
    TTB: 12 wicked talented musicians. Highlight was the instrumental "Pasaquan," DT and the twin drummers ripped the stage apart. A bit of a disappointment was the cover of "Why Does Love Got to be so Sad?" Not that it was in anyway poor, but the original was just played with so much anguish, violence and likely drug fueled rage! The TTB version this night was just a bit too polished.

Los Lobos were slick and fun, too. A few covers, including "Sail on, Sailor."
    First act, singer songwriter Gabe Dixon, talented keyboardist. Played with TTB.
    Sounds like a blast. You and I have the same taste.

I love Gabe Dixon as a solo artist. I had heard he joined Tedeschi Trucks. Great snag by them.

I have the TTB record (vinyl) of the Layla album. Some songs are done better by Allman, Clapton, etc. Some are better by TTB. The sound is worlds better on the TTB recording.

Trying to wrap my mind around Los Lobos doing a Beach Boys tune.

Color me jealous!
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    I know some of you disagree with me about the corrupt oil industry. But, oil prices have dropped 20% the last 2 weeks. Gas prices have dropped 4%. This is a national average.

Economists are saying oil will drop to ½ of what it was earlier this summer. Let’s see if gas prices drop by ½. Anyone want to bet?
  • henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289

I know some of you disagree with me about the corrupt oil industry. But, oil prices have dropped 20% the last 2 weeks. Gas prices have dropped 4%. This is a national average.

Economists are saying oil will drop to ½ of what it was earlier this summer. Let’s see if gas prices drop by ½. Anyone want to bet?

Gas prices will not drop by the same percent as oil prices, they never do, they never will. That isn't how it works. You still have state and federal taxes, which do not go up and down with oil prices. And the cost of refining and the overhead of retailing does not change. The price of gasoline did not go up by exactly the same percent as the cost of oil, and it will not go down by the same percent. But it will go down, and by quite a bit.

If oil prices go back to where they were a year ago (unlikely, but possible), then I expect to see gasoline prices at roughly where they were a year ago. That is a better indicator, and a fair comparison.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,164
    edited July 2022

I believe in most cases they would apply an indignant patient for government funded health care.

I know you meant indigent, but I'm sure many people try to get away from paying bills by getting indignant. :wink:

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,466

————————————————-
    Come now, would you really feel good about stealing from your poster buddies? :(

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    edited July 2022

You conveniently seem to forget that gas price is not its raw material (oil), but other components, from labor, to equipment, to taxes, which don't change with oil price. So such a bet would be ridiculous like say expecting bread price being proportional to grain price, and computers to silicone compound input of the chips (yes, I know, that one is hyperbolic).

However, I just checked USEA gas price data (all grades, so it's a mix), From 2015 till 2021 gas prices were range bound between $2.20 and $3.00 bouncing back and forth with WTI price approximately $40-$68 with two very short periods of big drops one spring 2020 (first lockdowns - that's when it hit a "negative" number one of the days) another early 2016 (dropped to $25 for couple of weeks, which was reflected in short period of $1.80 gas price), which is quite good correlation. So yes, if gas oil price is cut in half and stays that way for more than two weeks, I fully expect gas price to follow it to a decent extend, not half but say 30 percent or so, just as it did before multiple times on its way up and down. It won't happen next day, just like price hikes don't happen, either (contrary to what people believe there is at least week delay between oil price and gas) albeit admittedly hikes are always quicker than drops.

There is psychological explanation to that - we always quickly notice negative developments, but positive ones we often treat as "background noise", something that's "natural", so not noteworthy.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

Not buying any of big oil’s excuses, explanations, BS justifications.

As demand continues to drop, the other excuses are going to become prevalent…

-“will need gov’t help to stem dropping demand so we don’t have to do layoffs”
    -“we need gov’t help because we didn’t move to EV support quick enough”
    -“we’ll just abandon our underground gas tanks that aren’t needed anymore and let communities clean up the inevitable hazardous seepage”.

I could go on. The oil companies are parasites. The sooner we dispatch them all to history, the better we all will be….economically and environmentally.
    dino001 said:

You conveniently seem to forget that gas price is not its raw material (oil), but other components, from labor, to equipment, to taxes which don't change with oil price. So such a bet would be ridiculous like say expecting bread price being proportional to grain price, and computers to silicone compound input of the chips (yes, I know, that one is hyperbolic).

However, I just checked USEA gas price data (all grades, so it's a mix), From 2015 till 2021 gas prices were range bound between $2.20 and $3.00 bouncing back and forth with WTI price approximately $40-$68 with two very short periods of big drops one spring 2020 (first lockdowns - that's when it hit a "negative" number one of the days) another early 2016 (dropped to $25 for couple of weeks, which was reflected in short period of $1.80 gas price), which is quite good correlation. So yes, if gas oil price is cut in half and stays that way for more than two weeks, I fully expect gas price to follow it to a decent extend, not half but say 30 percent or so, just as it did before multiple times on its way up and down. It won't happen next day, just like price hikes don't happen, either (contrary to what people believe there is at least week delay between oil price and gas) albeit admittedly hikes are always quicker than drops.

There is psychological explanation to that - we always quickly notice negative developments, but positive ones we often treat as "background noise", something that's "natural", so not noteworthy.
    ————————————————-
    I THINK @graphicguy meant that prices won’t drop to where they were before given all of the associated costs you mentioned and yes the oil companies are more than quick to raise prices, often within hours of a reported shortage of supply even though the new higher prices are not even seen yet by the producers.

Like you said prices will drop but slowly compared to that step change increase they had. And they never come back to the pre-price increase. The new price will be several cents more. It’s almost like the oil companies throw us a life-line and we’re so happy we just ignore the fact that we’re still being screwed. Wow, we don’t have to pay 5 bucks for a gallon of gas anymore; ain’t life grand?

Not every producer of goods can get away with that since there are many producers of bread, soft drinks, pickles etc. so the free market system inherently protects the consumer. However, with the oil companies this is an almost full proof way of incrementally raising the price of your product thereby creating a new baseline. Rinse and repeat. Nice work if you can get it and they’ve got it.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    So confronted with actual historic data on relationship between price of oil and price of gas and obvious difference between product and its input ingredients, you bring up some unrelated stuff. I guess that works.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

dino001 said:

I believe in most cases they would apply an indignant patient for government funded health care.

I know you meant indigent, but I'm sure many people try to get away from paying bills by getting indignant. :wink:

LOL. Never trust spellcheck. :o

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

“ The oil companies are parasites. The sooner we dispatch them all to history, the better we all will be….economically and environmentally.”

OK, now tell us how you really feel. o:)

dino001 said:

So confronted with actual historic data on relationship between price of oil and price of gas and obvious difference between product and its input ingredients, you bring up some unrelated stuff. I guess that works.

————————————————-
    Who are you talking to?

jmonroe
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132

dino001 said:

Oh, "indignant" was spelled correctly.

I fight the auto-texting app on my Samsung phone. It brings up words
    based on the letters over which it thinks I dragged my fingertip. It will often instert
    the wrong word correcting the one it thinks is wrong already in the text. From then on
    it thinks that wrong word is a better choice than the one I already had in the text. I
    have to go slow and correct each word if it pops in the wrong one. Sometimes the wrong one
    gets popped in after I've finished the text.

Example: "There are about 60 cars at the cruise-in" becomes
    "There are about 60 cats at hte cruise-in."

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,224

Regarding oil and gas prices, did you see that 5 million barrels of oil from the US strategic reserve was exported to Europe and Asia?

https://www.usnews.com/news/top-news/articles/2022-07-05/oil-from-u-s-reserves-head-overseas-as-gasoline-prices-stay-high?context=amp

edited July 2022

dino001 said:

Oh, "indignant" was spelled correctly.

Example: "There are about 60 cars at the cruise-in" becomes
    "There are about 60 cats at hte cruise-in."

So it changed cars to cats and then spelled "the" as "hte"? You might need a new tablet.

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    Weird. There's no line at my house.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,334
    carnaught said:

This nightmare is why I’m not quite ready for an EV:

Because Costco isn't ever wrapped around the block with people waiting for fuel.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    edited July 2022
    Over the weekend we went a couple of Guardians/Yankees games in Cleveland.
    Took the very young grandkids so our seats were in the Family section.
    Once we got inside the stadium from the garage, we weren't sure how to get up to our level.
    I asked a woman who was directing traffic how we could get to our seats from where we were.
    She said we needed to take the elevator up another level.
    Then she said 'I see you are all Yankee fans, I have something special for you just go in there'.
    It was a special access club.
    I gave her a skeptical look but she said 'No it's OK and I think you'll really appreciate it'.
    You might have to zoom in the read the story but it gave me goose bumps.

2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,144
    Nice.

I'll be catching a Guardians - Padres game in San Diego at the end of August.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,097
    Of course, at Costco there are like 30 pumps, one can pull up on either side if they choose, and fill up in maybe 5 minutes once they get to the pump.

carnaught said:

Because Costco isn't ever wrapped around the block with people waiting for fuel.
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,097
    Prices rise like on a rocket, and often fall with a parachute. The corporate welfare and coddling will trickle down any day now, I promise.

Not buying any of big oil’s excuses, explanations, BS justifications.

As demand continues to drop, the other excuses are going to become prevalent…

-“will need gov’t help to stem dropping demand so we don’t have to do layoffs”
    -“we need gov’t help because we didn’t move to EV support quick enough”
    -“we’ll just abandon our underground gas tanks that aren’t needed anymore and let communities clean up the inevitable hazardous seepage”.

I could go on. The oil companies are parasites. The sooner we dispatch them all to history, the better we all will be….economically and environmentally.

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,334

@fintail said:
    Of course, at Costco there are like 30 pumps, one can pull up on either side if they choose, and fill up in maybe 5 minutes once they get to the pump.

Can’t argue with that. No matter how many pumps I find at Costco, it’s still a 35 minute endeavor. I’ve also had zero issues with charging , so…I’m biased.

2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
  • tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,592
    carnaught said:

Happens every summer. This video is from 3 years ago. Since then, Tesla alone has added 20000 supercharger stalls.

I wonder how many more will get installed when this video gets tweeted again next year…

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,290
    driver100 said:

@dino001

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

@ab348

————————————————-

jmonroe
    I am 75 so I should be ex

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

@ab348

————————————————-

jmonroe

Comparing reported deaths per population unit doesn't work because the types of cases assigned as covid deaths differs from Canada to US.

Also Florida has a higher percentage of older people, who are more susceptible to complications from the flu and colds, thus skewing the numbers.

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

@ab348

————————————————-

jmonroe

Comparing reported deaths per population unit doesn't work because the types of cases assigned as covid deaths differs from Canada to US.

Also Florida has a higher percentage of older people, who are more susceptible to complications from the flu and colds, thus skewing the numbers.
    True to some degree and I realize that, but numbers that vary by that much are meaningful. If it were 10 or 20% might explain a bit, but not when the numbers are over double or 4 times as many.
    However Florida's over 65 population, as a percentage of the population, is 25% higher than that of Ontario. There is a reason that Florida is called Gods waiting room. That difference would make for a significant difference in mortality giving that it tends to be more serious for the older population.
    I checked several sites and I get Florida's over 65 year olds amount to 19% of the population. Ontario and Canada are just over 16%.

I am not saying the deaths from covid numbers are exact, counting covid deaths is an inexact science, I am saying the numbers are so far apart there has to be a major reason for it. Thinking it is a conspiracy theory and then trying to prove it seems to be the latest trend....sometimes a fact is a fact!
    U.S. Census for 2020 shows Florida's over 65 population at just over 21%. And while counting COVID deaths is an inexact science they really shouldn't be calling everyone who died while infected with COVID a COVID death, that really inflates the numbers.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,290
    henryn said:

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

@ab348

————————————————-

jmonroe

At the beginning of this mess the CDC did announce that they were counting anyone who died with COVID was going to be counted as a COVID death. There was a big outcry over this when someone who was killed in a motorcycle accident in, I believe, Florida was counted as a COVID death because s/he was infected. Make me question the total deaths.
    Yes, but ...

It is entirely possible that being sick with Covid contributed to the motorcycle accident. I'm not saying it did, but definitely could have. I did a little motorcycling when I was younger, and quite a bit of bicycling. Having flu-like or cold-like symptoms (congestion, stuffy head, hard to breath) can definitely affect your balance, which is vitally important when two-wheeling.

I'm just saying ...
    While it could have it is most possibly not a factor in the accident and not a cause of the death.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

So, my former employer has been bugging me to do some work for them. I’ve really resisted, as they want me to sign 30-60-90 day….up to a year contract.

I’ve filled up my time doing things I really like (like mentoring at the local 2-year degree school, chairing the advisory committee for the local arts and entertainment community, etc. I like doing those things. I have mostly resisted (few pockets of ZOOM meetings that I charged them for) doing “real” work.

They finally sent over a consulting gig that I only have to do for a week. But, it’s on the land of Mickey (Orlando) and I’d be working with Lockheed (which really interests me). Headed that way tomorrow.

Not looking forward to the Orlando weather. But, I am looking forward to working with the folks at Lockheed, who are some of the brightest folks I know.

Back to cars, dealers around here know I’ve flipped a few cars in the area, given I’ve shopped them at their dealerships.

So, the sales manager at the Honda store I bought the Accord from dropped me a voice mail stating he’d pay $1,000 more than I paid for it.

Called him back. He said Hybrids are the hot ticket and hard to come by from the factory. Told him $1,000 probably wouldn’t do it. He asked me what I was thinking. I don’t know. Gotta see if there’s something out there I can buy reasonably, and more importantly, something I like.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,440
    You’ll regret selling it. Keep it for now.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

jmonroe1 said:

dino001 said:

————————————————-
    Who are you talking to?

jmonroe
    Not you, I meant Graphic. I quoted historical correlation between oil price and gas prices (compared ranges) with correction to time delay and other costs (oil will always have much bigger price range than fuel for obvious reasons), which and he responded (in my view) by "redirection" about some other evil things that oil companies supposedly did or say. Your post wasn't there when I wrote mine, but must have squeezed in last minute, so yeah, so mine now looks out of context.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

So, my former employer has been bugging me to do some work for them.

They finally sent over a consulting gig that I only have to do for a week. But, it’s on the land of Mickey (Orlando) and I’d be working with Lockheed (which really interests me). Headed that way tomorrow.

Well, it is a real feather in your cap to be pursued like that.

I thought I would always want to work especially in our own business. But now that I got used to retirement I would never trade it for working. If a company wanted my skills I'd have to tell them I would be totally useless as an employee, no interest, no motivation, don't care....I want to do what I want to do on my own schedule. Besides, I don't have time to be working.

I’d live to be able to retire soon and do some occasional consulting gigs to make up for lost income. I just don’t think I’d find any for what I do. And my current employer would have no interest.

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891

Back to cars, dealers around here know I’ve flipped a few cars in the area, given I’ve shopped them at their dealerships.

So, the sales manager at the Honda store I bought the Accord from dropped me a voice mail stating he’d pay $1,000 more than I paid for it.

Called him back. He said Hybrids are the hot ticket and hard to come by from the factory. Told him $1,000 probably wouldn’t do it. He asked me what I was thinking. I don’t know. Gotta see if there’s something out there I can buy reasonably, and more importantly, something I like.

$1k more than you paid OTD?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,686

@fintail said:

Can’t argue with that. No matter how many pumps I find at Costco, it’s still a 35 minute endeavor. I’ve also had zero issues with charging , so…I’m biased.

Perhaps it's my Costco (now, oh so far away...), but I've never had a 35 minute experience. I mostly went Friday nights, might be at worst 15 minutes in total. There have been a few times on the weekend, however, where I've driven by and said, "no thanks."
    And, also no real charging issues, but I may not remember if there were given my backup plan of ~14 gallons of petrol.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

qbrozen said:

$1k more than you paid OTD?
    If I traded for something they had (and that I wanted) AND the new vehicle would be the same price or lower, then YES! They have some nice used stock that might interest me. Actually, it would take more than that for me to flip. It would have to be a barely used sports sedan or perhaps a barely used electric. But, those are just as hot in the market as mine is.
    driver100 said:

I thought I would always want to work especially in our own business. But now that I got used to retirement I would never trade it for working. If a company wanted my skills I'd have to tell them I would be totally useless as an employee, no interest, no motivation, don't care....I want to do what I want to do on my own schedule. Besides, I don't have time to be working.

Not sure about the feather in my cap. My former company signed a DOD contract. As those things go, they reach well into the future. I told them time and again that I was going to retire, and that I'd be more than willing to train anyone they designated. They didn't.

So, they have to honor the contract in a given amount of time or pay a very hefty penalty. As it stands, the scope of the work is in a very narrow niche. I know how to do it. And, I have intimate knowledge of both my old company and of the project with Lockheed. So, I'm more of a unicorn than anything else for them. They can certainly hire someone much cheaper than me, and certainly younger. But, big companies can't seem to get out of their own way, sometimes.

The guy I used to report to just retired, also. That means there are few in the company who would even know where to begin.

Their HR dept is overworked and says they don't have time to find someone else. And, there's no one to train the new hire if they did.

The further I'm away from my employee days, the more I'm glad I'm retired. Loved working there the entire time I was with them, but forgot how much time I spent daily just doing non-productive things that didn't make any difference and never amounted to a hill of beans, only to get to the meat of what it was I needed to do. No more political gamesmanship, nor butt kissing, worthless report writing, and no more "holding my tongue".

Whew....that went into a different tangent!!!!!
  • henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    stickguy said:

Probably true. When I sold my 3 year old, like new F150 last year for $5k more than I originally paid, I didn't see how I could ever come to regret doing so. But now, a full year later, and no end in sight to the current madness, I am beginning to have second thoughts. I really didn't think this kind of madness could last. The world is not what it used to be.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
    I somewhat regret selling my TLX early. At least I ended up with something practical that I like, but I do still miss that car.

So, my former employer has been bugging me to do some work for them. I’ve really resisted, as they want me to sign 30-60-90 day….up to a year contract.

I’ve filled up my time doing things I really like (like mentoring at the local 2-year degree school, chairing the advisory committee for the local arts and entertainment community, etc. I like doing those things. I have mostly resisted (few pockets of ZOOM meetings that I charged them for) doing “real” work.

Not looking forward to the Orlando weather. But, I am looking forward to working with the folks at Lockheed, who are some of the brightest folks I know.

————————————————
    When my old employer asked me to come back as a consultant I wanted to know for how long because I started Social Security and if it was for only a few months it wouldn’t be worth it to me. So, when I asked, my old boss said, “I’m afraid to say because I don’t want to scare you off”. I said, “you gotta tell me or the answer is no.” He takes a deep breath and said, “at least 6 months but probably indefinite”. I said, “OK for 6 months (because that wouldn’t kill my Social Security) and we’ll see how it goes after that”. Well, “after that”, since I was having so much fun (didn’t have to do monthly reports, go to stupid meetings, etc,) just left alone to do it my way working with some old buddies turned into almost 7 years.

Every 9 months the boss came by and said, “still having fun, I told you that you would” and then told me what my new hourly rate would be. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, “they liked me a lot more as a consultant than when I was a full time working stiff”. My only concern was I had to finally pull the plug and get off of that candy before the cleaning crew found me slumped over my keyboard one night.

Now, about that “brightest folks” comment, there are a few bright folks in here, I happen to know one pretty well. So let’s knock that off right now. :#

jmonroe
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,031
    stickguy said:

I’d live to be able to retire soon and do some occasional consulting gigs to make up for lost income. I just don’t think I’d find any for what I do. And my current employer would have no interest.

When I retired in ‘14 I almost immediately got calls to be part of consultant proposals in the industry. Legislation would not let me do anything intersecting with my former employer for 6 months and I didn’t want to do anything then anyway so it was a non-issue. About a year later I agreed to do some work for one of the industry associations. It was fairly easy for me and paid really well for not a whole lot of effort. They liked what I delivered and had me do more a while later. Then they asked me to be the Exec Director of the association. I kept telling them I didn’t want a job. In 2018 I got an urgent SOS call from them only about a week after I got out of the hospital after heart valve replacement saying they needed me to do something right away. I really didn’t want to do anything at that point but I did it, just a day or two of work. I didn’t need the money and told them I was out after that (nicely). Once I was settled into retirement I discovered I really didn’t want to have anything to do with my old work life any longer.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

driver100 said:

————————————————
    I know what you mean.

My old employer called me about 2 months after I pulled the plug for the last time. This wasn’t my old boss because he had retired himself by that time but he threw my name out saying “I doubt he’d be interested but good luck. I’m pretty sure he’s really done”. My old boss was right but the new guy wouldn’t give up so easily. Kept calling me with a better hourly rate but you guys would have been proud of me because I kept saying, “no thanks but thanks for asking”. Finally he got the idea. They must have been in real trouble because they kept throwing money at me and I never once alluded that the money wasn’t enough.They sure as hell didn’t throw money around like that when I was an almost 35 year full time working stiff that’s for sure.

I’ve really settled into retirement now all right. I do what I want to do when I want to do it and and I only do that when I feel like it.

jmonroe
  • mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,224
    edited July 2022

I wonder what was up with this electric F-150 that it was only able to tow an empty trailer such a short distance?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-e55Vued028&feature=emb_title

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    A lot of air resistance due to the height of the trailer.
    Out of Spec Motoring did a payload test between a Rivian and a Lightning using water totes in the bed.
    The Lightning didn't lose as much efficiency as the Rivian which they put down to the tote being more exposed over the top of the Rivian cab.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    Gas mileage gets hammered too, so makes sense range on an EV would. Electricity is just a different kind of fuel.

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    carnaught said:

I think most buyers probably knew that their would be charging line nightmares and figured that into their purchase decision. Pretty predictable given the long charging times required. They decided wasting their life away was "worth it."
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    edited July 2022
    henryn said:

stickguy said:

Probably true. When I sold my 3 year old, like new F150 last year for $5k more than I originally paid, I didn't see how I could ever come to regret doing so. But now, a full year later, and no end in sight to the current madness, I am beginning to have second thoughts. I really didn't think this kind of madness could last. The world is not what it used to be.
    Exactly one reason I've kept the S4. Crossed 49,000 miles the other day. CATS still working OK despite having oil deluged into them.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion