Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Impala Reduced Engine Power

boogeymann1boogeymann1 Member Posts: 1
edited January 2018 in Chevrolet

HELP! I have an 06 Chevy Impala with a little over 100K miles. Routine maintenance always taken care of. As of the past couple months I have been getting the ENGINE POWER REDUCED message on the dash. Power is kicked back, and speed is reduced as well. I have already taken the advice of the other posts and replaced the throttle body first...did well for a while, and then error popped back up. Yesterday I replaced the accelerator position sensor while we had warmer weather...ran fine last night, only to give me the message AGAIN this morning when it began to get colder outside. I am out of ideas. Anybody have any isight?

Comments

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148

@boogeymann1 said:
    As of the past couple months I have been getting the ENGINE POWER REDUCED message on the dash.

Hi - I'm not sure anyone has found a one-size-fits-all solution for this problem, but you might read through our Chevy Impala Reduced Engine Power discussion to get ideas.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• ryan93ryan93 Member Posts: 2

I have this problem with the stabilitrak/traction control on a 2011 Impala with 46,000 miles. I thought it was due to living in Minnesota with the cold weather, road salt and grime, etc. but I have found other people from all over the country with the same problem. It happens not only to the Impala, either. I've seen the same from the Malibu, Traverse, and Yukon. Mine is going to the dealer for service next week. I reported this issue to GM and they opened a report. They look at issues on a case by case basis. The service tech at the dealer said they see a lot of this problem but it can be caused by different things. I also reported it to SaferCar.gov. Anyone experiencing this should file a report with SaferCar.gov. They take action when they notice a trend.

I also notice that this problem often needs to be repaired multiple times. Has anyone had this problem fixed so it was totally fixed? I've seen the problem diagnosed as the throttle body, sensors, and hub. Very disappointed in Chevy...I've owned new Chevys since 1995 and think I'm going to switch to Toyota.

• fishing72fishing72 Member Posts: 1
    Wow. I can't believe how many problems people are having with the reduced engine power issue. I had a terrible scare the other day driving when all of a sudden the power reduced and I dropped to 20mph on the interstate. I have read all the posts so hopefully the sensor on the gas pedal is top blame. Although this is just one of many issues I am having with this car. I will NEVER recommend anyone buying a Chevy impala. Dangerous vehicle.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252

Hello Everyone,

I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing problems with your vehicles. Please let us know if you would like for us to take a further look into you concerns. We can be reached via email at socialmedia@gm.com if our assistance is needed. Please include your full contact information, VIN, current mileage, and preferred dealership in the email. Thank you.

Kristen A.
    GM Customer Care

• jlg7jlg7 Member Posts: 16
    edited April 2014

I wanted to know if anyone thinks that all of these reduced power errors are all related to the ignition recall?? Even though the recall for the ignition switch is not in my car model (2011 Traverse), I would like to know if related. I have also had multiple repairs done for this issue. My car has had the reduced power happen at least 8 times if not more. I have had my throttle body replaced, sensors, etc. Basically everything they said would fix this has not!!! Any thoughts would be appreciated. I agree with the above comments. I have risked my family's lives by driving this car!!!!!!GM even gave me an extension of my warrenty to 100,000 miles but only after I called the corporate offices because of this issue of the Reduced Power without warning!

• a_ra_r Member Posts: 10
    I have a 2007 impala LT 104,800 miles same issue took it to 2 shops they can't figure it out. Midas said it was spark plugs and wires the throttle body needed cleaned and needs EVAP canister. Did all of that same problem. The 2nd shop does not know what is causing the issue I am the original owner of this car and I can say that this car has given me more trouble than any car I have owned previously. And those have been older with many more miles. I contacted GM as suggested above and I'm still waiting for a reply.
  • tlemay34tlemay34 Member Posts: 1
    I've been reading these forums for a while now and it seems that the reduced power /traction control is a VERY COMMON problem.  Same problem we are having.  This should have already been recalled by GM and everyone needs to report their problems to those in charge of car complaints.  GM apparently is not worried that eventually the car stops running, dies, which is a hazard  and cause death depending on where your car quits.  This is ridiculous and has been an on going issue for many years.  I promise if this causes an accident in my family GM will be sued.  I have printed off complaints since 2000, that's 15 years worth if complaints for this problem.  It is dangerous and should be addressed and not at the expense of the car owner.  I would sell this car but I wouldn't want to put someone else's life in danger.  The only response from CS is thank you for your concern...... that is bull crap.  Do something about this NOW! !    Thank you.
  • jlmo247jlmo247 Member Posts: 2
    2009 Chevy Impala SS purchased new from the showroom floor. Started this problem back in 2011. Swapped nearly everything out. No good. Read an article about it, so now trying Ethanol-free gas. Hasn't happened since. But, as we know, the reduced engine power is random. But, so far, so good.
  • bthomas41bthomas41 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2017 Impala Premier with 12,000 miles. I just purchased this car from a great Chevy dealer that i've purchased my previous three cars from that have never had issues. I drive about 50 miles to work each way on the freeway and this morning had "stabilitrak service" message come up followed immediately by the "engine power reduced" message. This was quite scary, as I was traveling 70mph down the freeway and lost all ability to accelerate and would gradually lose speed intermittently. I was about 10 miles from work and luckily made it safely there. I have called my dealer and even though they are booked solid for the next several days, they are having me bring it in first thing in the morning and giving me a courtesy car, while they try to slot it in as early as possible to be looked at. It doesn't look like there have really been any newer cars like mine on here, so I'm hoping it's a fluke and the issue will be resolved without the recurrences that seem to be prevalent on this forum. I will post an update when I have one.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Yes, let us know what they find--thanks!
  • mrsfully15mrsfully15 Member Posts: 1
    @bthomas41 what was the problem because I have a 2017 and it is doing the same thing... it only seem to drive normal when I put it in manual, but automatic is not going past 30 mph. What was the issues if you don’t mind me asking?
  • Girlygirl39Girlygirl39 Member Posts: 1
    We need to put a lawsuit against GM I'm having the same engine power reduced on my 2007 impala they won't recall them
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    Hiring a lawyer will cost more than your 12 year old car is worth. That is seldom a practical solution.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• NumoneyNumoney Member Posts: 1
    Heyyyyy. Ok so im not any type of mechanic but i can say from personal experience, that mine has said that as well. First time was due to low air pressure in my tires and the second time is because it needs an oil change. If your Impala stop running due to this message, a quick fix is as follows:
    Unplug red cable from your battery and leavr it off for approximately 5 minutes. Replace it and your car should start!!!!!!  Hopefully this helps. Have a great one!
  • sandrunr1sandrunr1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2009 Impala LTZ 3900 with many miles on it, about 180,000. Had the reduced power, service stability link and trakcontrol pop up. Replaced throttle body, TPS, accelerator sensor, battery, still having same problem. I disconnect the neg. battery cable, wait about 10 minutes, replace cable and all works ok for about 5 starts then it acts up again. disconnect, wait 10 minutes all ok. Im thinking the computer. Advise????? Aug. 24, 2021
  • Kim42971Kim42971 Member Posts: 1

I have a 2015 Impala with only 45,000 miles on it and I'm having the same exact issues. My mechanic is stumped.

• thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,745
    How often does it happen?
    How far (long) do you have to drive it to get it to happen?
    Does the weather conditions appear to play a role in it occurring?
    What codes are setting in which modules?
    When it acts up does turning the car off and back on restore operation or does it need to sit for a period of time?
  • TAlphaTAlpha Member Posts: 2

@boogeymann1 said:
    HELP! I have an 06 Chevy Impala with a little over 100K miles. Routine maintenance always taken care of. As of the past couple months I have been getting the ENGINE POWER REDUCED message on the dash. Power is kicked back, and speed is reduced as well. I have already taken the advice of the other posts and replaced the throttle body first...did well for a while, and then error popped back up. Yesterday I replaced the accelerator position sensor while we had warmer weather...ran fine last night, only to give me the message AGAIN this morning when it began to get colder outside. I am out of ideas. Anybody have any isight?

I found videos on YouTube that people has been fining the rear manifold loose, I was having some of the same problems too and I went to check the manifold on my 2015 impala LS 2.5L it was loose and tighten up all the bolts, the problem went away so check your rear manifold it takes a size 10 socket you need the long extension

• TAlphaTAlpha Member Posts: 2

@bthomas41 said:
    I have a 2017 Impala Premier with 12,000 miles. I just purchased this car from a great Chevy dealer that i've purchased my previous three cars from that have never had issues. I drive about 50 miles to work each way on the freeway and this morning had "stabilitrak service" message come up followed immediately by the "engine power reduced" message. This was quite scary, as I was traveling 70mph down the freeway and lost all ability to accelerate and would gradually lose speed intermittently. I was about 10 miles from work and luckily made it safely there. I have called my dealer and even though they are booked solid for the next several days, they are having me bring it in first thing in the morning and giving me a courtesy car, while they try to slot it in as early as possible to be looked at. It doesn't look like there have really been any newer cars like mine on here, so I'm hoping it's a fluke and the issue will be resolved without the recurrences that seem to be prevalent on this forum. I will post an update when I have one.

Check you rear manifold i found mine loose and had to tighten the bolts, its a 10mm socket and check your ground wires, the one to the starter especially that may solve your stablitrack problem, there is also a charge sensor that is around your battery ground wire.