Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru Crew - Future Models II

Comments

• Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    edited March 2010
    http://www.subaru-global.com/special/impreza_xv/index.html

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=29927241&postcount=29

Not at all what I expected. I bet this is the 2010 Outback Sport.

Things I like:

• New front bumper
    • Wheel arches
    • Beefy roof rails
    • Body-colored rear log strip, as per current WRX/STI
    • WRX/STI-like seats

Things I'm not sure about:

• Grille
    • Rear spoiler
    • Tires look too small, now that it has wheel arches.
    • Still has a 5-speed (for gas engine) and the 4-EAT

Bob
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I like those wheel arches, too.

That differentiates the Outback Sport better. Right now it's just two-tone paint.

Grille reminds me of the Tribeca. I guess they went for a family resemblance.

It's definitely more "butch".
  • Options
    This Euro-version appears to have 16" wheels. Our current Outback Sport has 17" wheels. That will help the looks a bit. I still hope out Outback Sport gets larger-still 215/55x17 tires (current OBS tires are 205/55x17).

I hated that 2-tone paint they've been using for years. This is much better.

It would be great if they offered an Outback Super Sport, with the WRX engine. :)

Bob
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,796
    I like the looks, although I also like the current two-tone paint. Euro will have the 2-liter turbo-diesel in an Impreza! We really need that engine over here. :cry:

I received a message from SoA regarding the diesel, though I suspect it is old news now:

Thank you for your e-mail to Subaru of America, Inc. We appreciate you taking the time to contact us with your feedback.

First, please be advised that we have received many other contacts similar to yours so you will find that the statements below are the same as I have provided to other customers seeking a diesel Subaru.

Our chairman Ikuo Mori was actually misquoted by reporters when he originally stated that Subaru would bring our diesel to the US in 2010. He had meant in the 2010(s). Since that time there have been many re-interpretations of this statement posted to various blogs throughout the Internet.

Further complicating the issue is that the original statement of plans to bring the diesel stateside was made in 2008 after we launched vehicles in Europe but before the drop in the economy in the Fall of 2008. Subaru as well as every other company had to re-organize in the wake of this volatile market and consequently any future plans have gone under re-examination.

At this time, we have not been made aware of any set plans as to when we will offer diesel models stateside since these past events and statements.

If you wish for this product to be offered please make sure to encourage others who share your interest to contact us, as past input from our customers has been helpful in initiating changes to our newer models.

Should any decisions be made as it relates to offering such a vehicle stateside, you will among the first notified.

If you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to contact us again. Thank you for the opportunity to be of service.

Best wishes,

Kerry Ann Miller
    Subaru of America, Inc.
    Customer/Dealer Services Department
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    Super Sport sounds good to me. :)
  • Options
    It would not pass CARB emissions as-is, so they'd have to invest to make that engine cleaner.

It might be different if the US and Europe had the same emissions standards.
  • Options
    nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    More butch? It looks either ridiculous or fugly to me, depending on my mood. Trust Subaru to mess up the looks after a couple of short years. Glad I got mine when I did, because I wouldn't have bought it looking like this.....

.....but then, maybe this is just for overseas markets?

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• Options
    edited March 2010
    Gotta disagree here. I've never cared for the silly 2-tone paint-tape styling of the current and previous Outback Sports—and we have owned two of them. I much prefer where Subaru is headed with this new VX model.

This new VX, as it stands, will be much more able to compete against the Euro Mini Countryman and the new VW CrossGolf and CrossPolo.

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/03/03/geneva-auto-show-mini-countryman/

http://wot.motortrend.com/6647406/auto-shows/2010-geneva-vw-hatch-hysteria-adds-- - - - crossgolf-crosspolo-and-polo-gti-to-the-mix/index.html

Having said that, it's not perfect. The large wheel arches scream for a larger wheel/tire combo; and I suspect it's coming, at least for the Aussie market. Their web site has just been updated with some news on this car, and one thing they mention is the Oz version will get more ground clearance, and which I hope also means larger tires and wheels.

http://www.subaru.com.au/about-subaru/news/breaking-news/2010/03/03/impreza-xv-u- - - - nveiled/

Some time ago I wrote to SOA, and asked them to get serious with the Outback Sport, as the current model is just silly, and stands for nothing. Now it looks like they're finally now heading in that direction. I just hope it comes here as well, badged either as an Outback Sport or VX.

Bob
  • Options
    The current model is basically an option package with good value.

This would seperate it more, almost like the 96 Outback did vs. the Legacy wagon.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    http://www.autoblog.com/gallery/geneva-2010-subaru-impreza-xv/#20

You can view them in small (here) or medium or large sizes.

Bob
  • Options
    saedavesaedave Member Posts: 694
    Is it possible that the track has been increased? Those fender bulges seem to match the tires.
  • Options
    I kinda doubt it.

Bob
  • Options
    rblnrrblnr Member Posts: 124
    Any guesses on the progress of the coming DI engines in the new plant?
  • Options
    samiam_68samiam_68 Member Posts: 775
    Yeah, I'd like to know as well. I'm holding off until Subie puts a DI engine AND a CVT into the Forester before I replace mine.
  • Options
    If so, you may want to fill out the following survey.

http://www.logicdepot.com/surveys/run/start.cfm?skey=2CYCR-11GMK

Note that this is not an official SOA survey, but the results will be sent to them.

Bob
  • Options
    The link comes up invalid.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    Works for me. Try it again.

Bob
  • Options
    Works now..... :confuse:
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    yes on the survey.....my next Subaru must make 40 mpg highway for me (rated 35 under the new EPA system). Otherwise, I will defect from Subaru once again....doesn't matter to me if they use hybrid or diesel or something else to achieve that goal, but that's the mark they have to hit. If it's pure electric, it must have a 300-mile range for me to be interested.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• Options
    http://www.autoblog.com/2010/03/22/new-york-preview-subaru-wrx-goes-widebody-for- -2011/

http://blogs.insideline.com/straightline/2010/03/2011-subaru-wrx-wide-body-headi- ng-for-2010-new-york-auto-show.html

A few things...

1) This pretty much confirms that the (new) STI sedan will remain Impreza-based. I had wondered if it might be based off the Legacy, but not anymore. I couldn't see developing a wide-body Impreza STI sedan by itself. Now with the WRX getting this bodywork, it makes perfect sense.

2) Not sure how I feel about it. I really liked the "stealth" aspect of the outgoing WRX, and that's completely gone now. This car is pure jail-bait, and frankly I'm not too comfortable with that.

3) I'll wait until I see it in person to make a final comment, but I'm pretty sure this wide-body will look better as a 5-door, as per the current STI. This looks kind of awkward. Aggressive for sure, if that's your cup of tea.

4) I'm really glad they increased the track, the rim width and tire size. That was a big concern of mine if they went wide-body, but using the existing wheels and tires. I think this car will look okay the way they've equipped it.

5) Disappointed that it still uses a 5-speed tranny. Was hoping for the 6-speed unit.

6) Can't wait to see what they've done to upgrade the STI.

Bob
  • Options
  • Options
    I like it.

I do think they should have added a 6 speed. The GTI and MazdaSpeed3 get one.

Thing is that would really step on the toes of the STI.
  • Options
    Agreed.

Interestingly, though, the majority of WRX vehicles I see with the current body style are sedans.... :confuse:
  • Options
    dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,165
    Here it's the opposite. Sedans are almost non-existent.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• Options
    Same here. I see far more 5-door WRXs than I do 4-door models. In fact, that even holds true for the 2.5i models as well.

Bob
  • Options
    That certainly holds true for the 2.5i here, but not (seemingly) the WRX. Of course, this is all empirical evidence, so it may be that I am just not seeing the hatchbacks on my particular routes. Of the 2.5i, I see quite a few Outback Sports (signified by the two-tone paint).

2009+ Foresters, though, are literally everywhere. They are incredibly popular here. Subaru is, in general, but the Forester in particular. In any given line of cars, a quarter-to-third are almost guaranteed to be Subaru, and probably half of those will be Forester.
  • Options
    I also see many, many more 5 doors.

My wife saw a sedan a little while ago, and she said it was the first Impreza sedan she had ever seen.

Keep in mind we've owned 3 Subarus!
  • Options
    Imprezas I ever see in my area are the cheapo lease-special sedans (plastic wheel covers) and the OBS. I do occasionally see WRXs as well - always wagons - but they are much rarer.

And my area is the same for Foresters, it is lousy with them

• Options
    css1css1 Member Posts: 247
    Hi AJ,
    Hi Bob,

How are you??

Are you guys coming up to the NY show this year?

Charlie
  • Options
    Can't - spring break conflicts with the schedule.

I wish it didn't.

Bob's going ...
  • Options
    Hi Charlie. I'm going to be there for the first press day, the 31st. Also going to a Subie sneak-preview that evening. :)

Bob
  • Options
    css1css1 Member Posts: 247
    Sorry we can't hook up this year.

Bob,
    Once again my Tribeca lease ends in November/December 2010. I'd appreciate it if you can find out any information on the refreshening or replacement for the Tribeca. I want to avoid getting stuck in a lease only to find something new is released in spring '11.

Have a great time.
  • Options
    I'll see what I can find out Charlie. I don't think there will be an announcement of that model, although I could be wrong. I think the news at NY this year will be about the WRX and STI.

Bob
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    The wing is back—big time!

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/03/29/the-wing-returns-subaru-teases-impreza-wrx-st- - i-sedan-ahead-of-n/

Will see this Wednesday night at an SOA sneak-peak event. The car will be officially announced Thursday morning.

So the NY show is all about the wide-body 2011 WRX and this new 2011 STI sedan.

Bob
  • Options
    dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567
    According to your link, the "teaser" picture is a hatchback, not a sedan.

But judging by this solitary teaser of the 2011 Subaru Impreza WRX STI, it appears that the rally-bred hatch is getting an all-new wing inspired by Subaru's dearly-departed WRC contender.
  • Options
    I think AutoBlog is wrong.

Bob
  • Options
    tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,606
    I'm with autoblog on this one. Looking at the taper of the roof to rear glass in that photo, its looks clear to me that its the hatch. A sedan could be in the works, though.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• Options
    I agree that it doesn't look so much like a sedan to me, but then the current Impreza has a fairly sloped back end and short trunk lid, so it could very well be a sedan. The massive wing certainly hides a lot of the shape back there and the slope from the roof line drops off much sooner than the current hatch.

That said, the hatch is definitely the better body style and a wing of that size is pure silliness. However, there are fans of both and I think Subaru can keep the sales up and people talking by mixing things up from time to time ("let's give them a hatch for a couple of years then a sedan for the next few!"). :shades:
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    They just announced a wide-body WRX sedan for 2011. I'm sure there's an STI version as well.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/03/22/new-york-preview-subaru-wrx-goes-widebody-for- -2011/

They wouldn't spend all that money, time and effort for just the WRX.

Bob
  • Options
    Hopefully you can get it without the ironing board. ;)
  • Options
    exit123exit123 Member Posts: 136
    Does anyone have any info on the 2011 Impreza colors?
  • Options
    Anyone have the info on changes for the 2011 Impreza??
  • Options
    Yeah, that's what I thought, but it never hurts to ask.
  • Options
    aaykayaaykay Member Posts: 539
    edited April 2010
    To be quite honest, I am sorely disappointed by the 2011 STI....of course for people who were waiting for an STI Sedan, it is great news, since finally the new generation STI appears as a sedan. But as far as the hatch is concerned, I am left with an empty feeling. :sick:

After the WRX went "wide body", it liberated the designers to introduce some much needed updates into the STI, including upgrading the suspension (done !), improving the steering to work well with the upgraded suspension (not done) and introducing better seats (than the useless "flatties" that the current generation STI/WRX and all STI/WRX's since the 2004 model year has) which too did not happen. So other than firming up the suspension (which is the easiest task for the aftermarket) the STI hatch was left to fester in its 2008 introductory state.

What would have been impossible for the aftermarket, would have been introducing sharper/faster steering gear like in the SPEC-C or better bolstered seats (which is just not replaceable via the aftermarket, since airbags and other SRS electronics are embedded into the driver's seats) and better engine technology like DI which would enable more power and better mileage, along with improvements into the Turbo itself enabling faster spooling and reducing turbo-lag. The results of course were sorely disappointing - to me !

They made a big hoo-haa that the suspension was "fine tuned on the Nurburgring". Sure. But what they failed to mention was that the fine-tuning of the suspension on the SPEC-C, happened with the SPEC-C's faster/sharper steering, the SPEC-C's fast-spooling and highly tractable twin-scroll turbo engine etc and not just stiffening up the suspension and calling it a day, while leaving all other aspects of driveability, unchanged. :mad: What they failed to state was that it was the total package that was "fine-tuned on the Nurburgring" and not just the stiffer suspension.

The big winners from the new introductions were the WRX (which benefited from the bodystyle changes, even though IMHO, the WRX after the 2009 updates, was definitely not in need of another body-style update) and the availability of the sedan STI bodystyle (for people who were waiting for it). To me the whole hoopla surrounding the "new and improved" 2011 STI was a total wet dishrag.

I was all set for a 2011 STI hatch (with the above said improvements) but not very enthused with what finally appeared. I am currently looking around for a 2010 STI SE (with no options) but will also keep my eye open for other options available in the market.
  • Options
    I thought they *did* change the seats? No?

Mags are clocking regular WRXs as quicker than the STI, so besides the 6 speed and DCCD, there's not much reason to upgrade now, especially since visual distinction is far less now.
  • Options
    aaykayaaykay Member Posts: 539
    No, based on feedback from people who sat in the cars in NY, the seats are supposed to be identical - no changes there.

Yeah, the gearing of the STI basically means that a shift into 3rd would be needed, right before it gets to 60mph.....the WRX can cross 60mph in 2nd. So that is a 0-60 killer - for the STI. The additional weight of the STI (almost 200 lbs more than the WRX) is not helping things either.

In addition to that, there are indications that the power rating of the 09+ WRXs are deliberately under-rated to prevent any more embarassment to the STI than absolutely needed.

Bottomline, Subaru seems to be leaving the STI to languish, thinking that it would spur WRX sales (you are getting "almost an STI" for 1000s less) and that, IMHO, is a serious and strategic mistake. The STI brandname would be irreparably damaged.

They should just bring over an LHD version of the SPEC-C as *the* STI, which in turn would maintain a decent separation between the STI and the WRX. If not, then just kill off the STI, instead of leaving it as-is, so that the branding will not be further diluted.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Spec-C, undiluted, would be good.

If they think the price would get too high (a valid concern, since Edmunds' last EVO cost $44 grand), then introduce a Legacy STI instead, with a turbocharged 3.6l H6.

$43,984. :surprise:

http://www.insideline.com/mitsubishi/lancer-evolution/2010/comparison-test-2010-- bmw-335i-vs-2010-mitsubishi-lancer-evolution-mr-touring.html#article_pagination_- top_1
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I was one of those who sat in the car at NY, at the sneak-peek the night before it was announced at the NY show.

The seats are fine. They were leather (STI Limited), and seemed a little more supportive than those found in my '09 WRX. The big STI news, besides the 4-door, is the suspension has been upgraded.

Keep in mind that this was a mid-life upgrade, not a full model makeover. As such, I was quite impressed.

One more thing: The seats are not that much different than those found in the Porsche 911 (see link). That's as good an endorsement as any as far as I'm concerned.

http://z.about.com/d/cars/1/0/i/V/1/ag_09_911_frtseat.jpg

Bob