Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    @carnaught ….very nice. Congrats on the punches. Got the best colors available, too. ;)

I think interiors have become way more upscale on all cars in the last 5-6 years. Electronics give designers more room to work with.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    edited August 2022

@oldfarmer50 said:
    That’s funny, when I first got the Mustang a NY state trooper pulled along side at a light in his police Charger and asked: “wanna trade”? Cops are people too.

I think I’ve mentioned this before, but a friend used to be the chief of police in my town. He often brings me his latest acquisitions to try out. Once he brought over a CTS-V fitted with a Lingenfelter engine package making over 700 hp. He asked me if I’d do a burnout with it(twist my arm!). It did pretty well- over 200 feet; I could have gone on much longer but there is a stop sign at the end of my access road.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,849

At the shore in our small six unit building we have a retired police officer and a current Philly homicide detective. Those guys are the wildest of the bunch.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,460

@roadburner said:

@oldfarmer50 said:
    That’s funny, when I first got the Mustang a NY state trooper pulled along side at a light in his police Charger and asked: “wanna trade”? Cops are people too.

I think I’ve mentioned this before, but a friend used to be the chief of police in my town. He often brings me his latest acquisitions to try out. Once he brought over a CTS-V fitted with a Lingenfelter engine package making over 700 hp. He asked me if I’d do a burnout with it(twist my arm!). It did pretty well- over 200 feet; I could have gone on much longer but there is a stop sign at the end of my access road.

And you saw him standing there ready to give you a ticket. I’ve heard there ain’t no such thing as a free ride.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)

@tjc78 said:
    At the shore in our small six unit building we have a retired police officer and a current Philly homicide detective. Those guys are the wildest of the bunch.

————————————————-
    Speaking of the shore, just boarded the plane for the return trip back to the Burgh area. I didn’t know my Son booked a short week. Serves him right they left at 7 this morning to beat the traffic as usual. I’ll be home in an hour and a half max. He has a 10 hour drive if he’s lucky.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)

Long drive and definitely through some high traffic areas. Don’t blame you for flying.

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    edited August 2022
    breld said:

So…I decide to visit the nearby Acura dealer. Not great, but they are adding $1,995 to Integras, which includes window tint, all weather mats and trunk mat, a ceramic exterior coat and some interior protectant coat. What’s that, maybe $500 worth of stuff (at retail)? But still, it’s not exactly offensive. $39k for a manual A-spec Integra or the same price for a barely used Si? Pretty easy.

And they have a few due in within a month that are not spoken for.

They also had a demo that they let me take out for a nice test drive (manual A-spec even).

It’s a really nice vehicle…quicker than I thought it would be. Great Honda shifter. Very composed over bumps. I like the rev matching (some may not). It’s on the list. If someone were looking for a fun, sporty daily driver, I think it’s quite perfect. I’d take it over a GTI, not so much for any performance advantage (which it doesn’t have), but for the overall package and reliability. But for a second (or third or fourth) fun car, I still may prefer something more like the GR86/BRZ or a Miata.

I could see putting a deposit on a Type S when its announced though.

I'm having a hard time with @breld caring much about reliability given how long he keeps his vehicles.

You might like the Veloster N or Elantra N; they both come in manuals or 8 speed dual clutch autos.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497

@carnaught ….very nice. Congrats on the punches. Got the best colors available, too. ;)

I think interiors have become way more upscale on all cars in the last 5-6 years. Electronics give designers more room to work with.

Thanks @graphicguy and others for your positive comments !

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    edited August 2022

This was a new one. A cop pulled up next to me at a traffic light, rolled down his window and asked me a ton of questions about the N. Took a beat but figured out he was an enthusiast, drives a WRX, and hasn’t seen one of these in the wild yet. Asked me to rev it in N mode.

Some are either lemmings or robots though.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,054
    andres3 said:

breld said:

So…I decide to visit the nearby Acura dealer. Not great, but they are adding $1,995 to Integras, which includes window tint, all weather mats and trunk mat, a ceramic exterior coat and some interior protectant coat. What’s that, maybe $500 worth of stuff (at retail)? But still, it’s not exactly offensive. $39k for a manual A-spec Integra or the same price for a barely used Si? Pretty easy.

And they have a few due in within a month that are not spoken for.

They also had a demo that they let me take out for a nice test drive (manual A-spec even).

It’s a really nice vehicle…quicker than I thought it would be. Great Honda shifter. Very composed over bumps. I like the rev matching (some may not). It’s on the list. If someone were looking for a fun, sporty daily driver, I think it’s quite perfect. I’d take it over a GTI, not so much for any performance advantage (which it doesn’t have), but for the overall package and reliability. But for a second (or third or fourth) fun car, I still may prefer something more like the GR86/BRZ or a Miata.

I could see putting a deposit on a Type S when its announced though.

I'm having a hard time with @breld caring much about reliability given how long he keeps his vehicles.

You might like the Veloster N or Elantra N; they both come in manuals or 8 speed dual clutch autos.
    We test drove a used Veloster N a few months back; he seemed to like it a lot.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,698
    Wife and I are totally free this weekend, so guess what we fill our Saturday morning with…
    • Showed her the Integra. She’s impressed with it and encourages me to get one.
    • Called on an incoming Civic Si in Amarillo - priced at MSRP plus about $1k but that at least includes window tint and all weather mats. Strongly considered putting a deposit on it, but then they called back and said they preferred to keep the business in state.
    • Stopped at the Hyundai/Genesis dealer - curious to try out a base G70 2.0T as a comparison to the Integra. Nice, comfortable car, but not really fun in any way. Also saw the refreshed 2023 Palisade, which we were impressed with - talked about possibly trading the X5 and freeing up $20k for other toys.
    • BMW dealership - told our salesperson will probably pass on the ordered M440i since wife went in a different direction, but still considering it for me. They also had a couple used M240i’s, one Long Beach Blue coupe and one Estoril Blue convertible. Liked them both, but just not enough of a price break over a new redesigned version. Salesperson said he’d let me know what order allocations there are for a new M240i.
    • Final stop at Toyota - checked out a GR86 that was already sold. It was very sharp in white. Still probably top contender. They also had a yellow Supra 3.0 available on the lot. Hey, what the heck…we passed on yellow last time. Asked about it, conjuring up ways of taking it home, but with a $5k markup plus some forced add-ons for tinting and clear mask and such, we passed and went on our merry way home.
    We have issues.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

@nyccarguy said:
    My wife called me yesterday afternoon and said she drove over a curb and the low tire pressure light is on. She gets home and says the air is wooshing out of it. I come home and it is completely flat. Now I’m no @xwesx, @qbrozen, @28firefighter, or @jmonroe but I can change a tire. I have a cheap floor Jack (2 ton) that I busted out. Everything went well. Lowered the spare from underneath, Jack up the car from the proper jacking point, remove the lug nuts, remove the wheel, put the wheel under the car just in case… Then the spare tire with its tall sidewall won’t fit. Now I’ve got to grab the scissor Jack and put that under the front suspension. Put the spare on and headed to the tire shop so they can start working on it 1st thing this AM. A few hours and $300 later I’ve got a brand new tire.

While we waited, we cleaned out and organized 1/2 the garage:

————————————————
    Fortunately, Mrs. j never did that to any of our cars but she’s a pro at whacking the passenger side mirror of her car backing out of the garage. I’m pretty sure she’s whacked every one of her cars since we’ve lived here (1998). Hasn’t gotten her 2018 Subie yet but I know I’m on borrowed time with that beauty.

I’d like to tell you how to handle your situation, like presenting her a bill for the new tire like I did with Mrs. j’s whack jobs. But I don’t if you can out lap her around the dining room table. However, in my cases those were some of my best lap times.

jmonroe

I actually made it out to the dealer today, though not with Mr. and Mrs. @breld ....

I mentioned earlier this week that we had to update our configuration on the ID.4 we have on order. We picked a darker shade of blue, which coincidentally is shared with the Atlas, also built in the TN plant.

Got online and found my VW dealer had one in stock. I texted my salesperson and asked if I could grab it for an hour and show my wife and daughter. He agreed, so off I went.

The Atlas was covered in pollen when I picked it up, but managed to drive through a major rainstorm on the way home, so most of it got washed off. Daughter looked it over for 2 minutes and pronounced it OK.

Now just have to wait for it to be built. TN plant is spinning up, with first deliveries scheduled for October.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,220
    edited August 2022

@breld said:
    Wife and I are totally free this weekend, so guess what we fill our Saturday morning with…* Showed her the Integra. She’s impressed with it and encourages me to get one.

• Called on an incoming Civic Si in Amarillo - priced at MSRP plus about $1k but that at least includes window tint and all weather mats. Strongly considered putting a deposit on it, but then they called back and said they preferred to keep the business in state.

• Stopped at the Hyundai/Genesis dealer - curious to try out a base G70 2.0T as a comparison to the Integra. Nice, comfortable car, but not really fun in any way. Also saw the refreshed 2023 Palisade, which we were impressed with - talked about possibly trading the X5 and freeing up $20k for other toys.

• BMW dealership - told our salesperson will probably pass on the ordered M440i since wife went in a different direction, but still considering it for me. They also had a couple used M240i’s, one Long Beach Blue coupe and one Estoril Blue convertible. Liked them both, but just not enough of a price break over a new redesigned version. Salesperson said he’d let me know what order allocations there are for a new M240i.

• Final stop at Toyota - checked out a GR86 that was already sold. It was very sharp in white. Still probably top contender. They also had a yellow Supra 3.0 available on the lot. Hey, what the heck…we passed on yellow last time. Asked about it, conjuring up ways of taking it home, but with a $5k markup plus some forced add-ons for tinting and clear mask and such, we passed and went on our merry way home.

We have issues.

You can always buy and trade them later. Apparently that’s a “thing”🤣😂

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,333

I am deeply honored that someone would put me in the same class as @xwesx, @qbrozen, or @jmonroe1 but I couldn’t be further from it. Let’s be real, anytime I start removing bolts in my house or my car, there is a >70% chance that I make things worse. Much much worse.

2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible

I am deeply honored that someone would put me in the same class as @xwesx, @qbrozen, or @jmonroe1 but I couldn’t be further from it. Let’s be real, anytime I start removing bolts in my house or my car, there is a >70% chance that I make things worse. Much much worse.

————————————————
    Hey, don’t tear yourself down. When it comes to removing bolts and nuts on a car, or anything else for that matter, not having a few of those left over is a good start.

BTW, I’m surprised @roadburner wasn’t mentioned in that group of wrench-turners.

jmonroe
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,236

This one has been making the rounds.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373

@28firefighter said:

Dude - you got your car going in a parking lot by performing a repair! That was impressive.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Picked my oldest son up from camp today. About 400 miles round trip. Went solo and decided to take the Highlander. Left early this AM. Beautiful drive up to MA. The Highlander didn’t break a sweat while hustling at 80+. Returned a calculated 26 mpg.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

@nyccarguy said:
    Picked my oldest son up from camp today. About 400 miles round trip. Went solo and decided to take the Highlander. Left early this AM. Beautiful drive up to MA. The Highlander didn’t break a sweat while hustling at 80+. Returned a calculated 26 mpg.

What happened with 4xe?

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    Interesting camp ending so soon. We went to the old Camp Hadar on Carter Hill Rd. in Clinton Ct. for many years, myself starting in 1961 and stopping in 1970 after we had moved to Ft. Lauderdale. Our house in New York was 90 minutes away, not a bad drive. Always went for 8 weeks, last Sunday in June till 3rd Sunday in August. A great experience for us and since there were usually four of us going in those early years, most everyone knew one of us. As a kid, was great to get away from our really small town where everyone knew everyone, and have separate friends and experiences. Am still in touch with a good dozen folks I knew from then which is pretty cool.
    Am sure the prices are pretty crazy now but from stories I had heard, not sure how many folks do it. My grandpa was an investor in the camp from stories I had heard, so we got a special rate. Am pretty sure your kid loved it, especially if he's into sports & outdoor activities. Those eight weeks always went so fast though. Once we got home, we knew that school would start soon and the old routine would begin, which took some time to get used to. But have great memories from all those summers & I'd not change a thing! My last few years, only my older brother & me went which was a good thing. Made me grow up a bit faster not having a twin brother around, was a good thing for both of us. But once I turned 16 and had my drivers license, I knew it was time to get a part time job at home to help pay for my first car.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    Had to drive a new Miata on Friday from Stuart Florida, just north of West Palm Beach, down to Miami. Was a bit cramped but figured for the hour drive, I'd be fine. A traffic accident in Ft. Lauderdale turned the trip into a two and a half drive and was miserable once I got myself out of it! Miata's aren't the biggest vehicles out there and after awhile, it got to be a bit overwhelming. Definitely need to take an extended drive in the regular Mini Cooper to see if it's something I could live with. My Golf is the perfect size and I know if I do go with the Chevy Bolt, I'll be fine also.
    But was an interesting ride in the smallest Mazda and luckily, the Sirius/XM was connected which made all the difference in the world. Their infotainment controls are still the world's worst and as much as I do like the CX-30, no way would I ever consider one unless they put a more user friendly audio system in. The current once stinks and am betting other folks out there agree on this & cross them off their short lists. What were the big wigs at Mazda thinking when they o k'd their current system in the first place? Sheer stupidity!!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

@mjfloyd1 said:

@nyccarguy said:

What happened with 4xe?

I decided that the Highlander was a better place to spend 6+ hours in today. Did I not update you guys when I got my 4Xe back a few weeks ago?

SA said they had to reflash the ECU and that I should only charge with a fast charger. The engine light has been off and the Jeep has been charging normally on a regular slow charger. I will have an L2 charger installed. My electric company gives rebates on product & installation.

“Can’t take a 120v charge” sounds like a pretty lame excuse. Glad it’s still working despite the excuse. Did they actually write that about the slow charger on the repair order? I’d probably ask Jeep to reimburse the cost if they did.

@nyccarguy -Also make sure all your fuses are seated.

It should not matter 120 or 240v. That makes no sense.

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,684
    FWIW, I've been using my regular garage, 120v, outlet since I got the A7. L2 chargers in the wild, haven't used a DC fast charger yet.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

@mjfloyd1 said:
    @nyccarguy -Also make sure all your fuses are seated.

It should not matter 120 or 240v. That makes no sense.

Thanks! The 1st thing I did when I plugged it in and got the error message was to check the fuses. They were all seated properly.

@corvette said:
    “Can’t take a 120v charge” sounds like a pretty lame excuse. Glad it’s still working despite the excuse. Did they actually write that about the slow charger on the repair order? I’d probably ask Jeep to reimburse the cost if they did.

Very lame indeed. I’ll have to look at exactly what she wrote in the paperwork.

corvette said:

————————————————
    That would infuriate me to no end. Then again SA’s have been known to shoot from the hip. I’d want to talk to the Service Manager to hear what he had to say.

jmonroe
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312

@corvette said:

That dealership sounds as if competency and customer satisfaction are at the absolute bottom of their list of priorities.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,559

Had to drive a new Miata on Friday from Stuart Florida, just north of West Palm Beach, down to Miami. Was a bit cramped but figured for the hour drive, I'd be fine. A traffic accident in Ft. Lauderdale turned the trip into a two and a half drive and was miserable once I got myself out of it! Miata's aren't the biggest vehicles out there and after awhile, it got to be a bit overwhelming. Definitely need to take an extended drive in the regular Mini Cooper to see if it's something I could live with. My Golf is the perfect size and I know if I do go with the Chevy Bolt, I'll be fine also.
    But was an interesting ride in the smallest Mazda and luckily, the Sirius/XM was connected which made all the difference in the world. Their infotainment controls are still the world's worst and as much as I do like the CX-30, no way would I ever consider one unless they put a more user friendly audio system in. The current once stinks and am betting other folks out there agree on this & cross them off their short lists. What were the big wigs at Mazda thinking when they o k'd their current system in the first place? Sheer stupidity!!

Having driven both I think there is no comparison between the Mazda and the Mini. I could just fit in the Miata but I wouldn’t want to get in and out often or be stuck for a long drive. The Mini is surprisingly big inside.

I agree that the CX-30 radio is totally non intuitive. It takes me a long time to figure it out with every drive.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889

@nyccarguy , easy enough to refute by showing the owner’s manual.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,934
    edited August 2022
    stickguy said:

@Corvette, thanks for the update. I have not checked on the Mav forum for a while and had not seen that. Good news to me at least!

finally checking back in. Life has been nuts since Wednesday. Movers showed up at 8:30 AM and chaos since. But, they were done and gone at the new place right after lunch on Thursday. And at 9:30 Friday, we closed on the old house (well, we signed 2 weeks ago so were not there) and by EOD there was a whole lot of money in my checking account! That was a huge mental relief.

since then, just dealing with the overwhelming amount of boxes everywhere in the new house (and stuffed in 2 storage units in 2 different states!) We had brought some extra stuff up a week ago when we came to close and left it in storage until we had the house organized enough to have a place to put it. Will get that all back on Friday when my daughter and her strong BF are here to help carry it all!

On Wednesday we had set aside some stuff (financial records, etc.) we did not want sent on a moving truck we would not see until the next day. And collected an assortment of leftover stuff we did not get packed in time, plus personal stuff, cleaning supplies, and misc. crapola, which needed to go into our 2 cars. I did the mental analysis and said no way it was happening. So, about 6:00 PM i'm on the phone with the storage place down the block booking a small unit for that night. put whatever would fit in the Maverick and took it over. (figuring that way I knew it would fit to get back up here in a few weeks when we go back to retrieve it!) Good thing I did because when we finally got the last of the stuff in the cars (at 11:30 PM) they were both stuffed to the gills. But we made it!

so much moving and unboxing. not close to done but much better than where we started at. Can almost visualize the end result! Now for buying stuff (already ordered a fancy new TV, and will be looking for family room furniture soon) and dealing with the improvements list (finish fencing the yard, and some less significant stuff to make the wife happy). but at least the mad rush and deadline pressure has eased up!

There is absolutely nothing easy about moving. Glad it went well and hope you’re happy with the new home and location.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,432
    car related, never got around to getting the RDX in for service before we left. that is due soon, so I will be getting to know the local acura dealer soon I guess (should probably make an appointment soon just in case they are backed up).

Maverick continues to impress. on the trip up, loaded with stuff, it averaged close to 34 MPG.

and I thought I had another flat tire on the RDX Friday. we stopped at the market since we had no food in the house, and when I pulled out was getting a big "thump thump" coming from the front end, with the wheel shaking. so I pull back in and check the tires for a screw and found nothing. so decided to try and get home while I still had air (pressure had not dropped at all so took a risk). shook a lot but made it OK. looking at tire in the driveway, I found the problem (conveniently it was exactly at the top so easy to find). I ran over some kind of asphalt blob so it was like a speedbump on the tire. took a while with a putty knife to peel most of it off but was fine after that.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

sda said:

stickguy said:

@Corvette, thanks for the update. I have not checked on the Mav forum for a while and had not seen that. Good news to me at least!

finally checking back in. Life has been nuts since Wednesday. Movers showed up at 8:30 AM and chaos since. But, they were done and gone at the new place right after lunch on Thursday. And at 9:30 Friday, we closed on the old house (well, we signed 2 weeks ago so were not there) and by EOD there was a whole lot of money in my checking account! That was a huge mental relief.

since then, just dealing with the overwhelming amount of boxes everywhere in the new house (and stuffed in 2 storage units in 2 different states!) We had brought some extra stuff up a week ago when we came to close and left it in storage until we had the house organized enough to have a place to put it. Will get that all back on Friday when my daughter and her strong BF are here to help carry it all!

On Wednesday we had set aside some stuff (financial records, etc.) we did not want sent on a moving truck we would not see until the next day. And collected an assortment of leftover stuff we did not get packed in time, plus personal stuff, cleaning supplies, and misc. crapola, which needed to go into our 2 cars. I did the mental analysis and said no way it was happening. So, about 6:00 PM i'm on the phone with the storage place down the block booking a small unit for that night. put whatever would fit in the Maverick and took it over. (figuring that way I knew it would fit to get back up here in a few weeks when we go back to retrieve it!) Good thing I did because when we finally got the last of the stuff in the cars (at 11:30 PM) they were both stuffed to the gills. But we made it!

so much moving and unboxing. not close to done but much better than where we started at. Can almost visualize the end result! Now for buying stuff (already ordered a fancy new TV, and will be looking for family room furniture soon) and dealing with the improvements list (finish fencing the yard, and some less significant stuff to make the wife happy). but at least the mad rush and deadline pressure has eased up!

There is absolutely nothing easy about moving. Glad it went well and hope you’re happy with the new home and location.
    thanks. So far, so good. like the area, met some nice neighbors, and will get used to the house! Once I put in a storage cabinet in the basement for my wife to stash all her extra kitchen stuff (that she never really uses but still "needs"). And put in a closet organizer system in our closet so she can unpack the many clothes she also should not still have. Hey, no one said that downsizing would be easy, and this place is far from small! at least it has a huge basement storage room that came with a big shelving rack, and another smaller room that we can set up as a spare "pantry" room (already has the extra fridge in there so makes sense!)

@stickguy - congrats on completing the move. Even with plenty of work left to do, it sure is nice to have the move itself complete.

yes, now it is pretty much like the old place. Stuff you want to do, "someday". Just certain items are higher priority (getting the fence for our grandpuppy, a rug for the family room, and some other stuff). But thankfully no longer dealing with hard deadlines around closings. Should in theory be more "fun" now.

one thing on my list for the fall is to do something with the garage floor. Anybody have opinions? deciding between an epoxy job, or race deck tiles. And if epoxy, getting a DYI kit instead of paying the big $$ for a pro job. That will cost as much as doing epoxy, so pretty much becomes a decision of which I would rather have. The cheap option of course is the $200 or so DIY option. I figure it is worth a shot. If it comes out like crap I can tile over it! But it also sounds like a tedious process and something that if you don't know what you are doing and get it right, will come out terrible.

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,559
    stickguy said:

yes, now it is pretty much like the old place. Stuff you want to do, "someday". Just certain items are higher priority (getting the fence for our grandpuppy, a rug for the family room, and some other stuff). But thankfully no longer dealing with hard deadlines around closings. Should in theory be more "fun" now.

one thing on my list for the fall is to do something with the garage floor. Anybody have opinions? deciding between an epoxy job, or race deck tiles. And if epoxy, getting a DYI kit instead of paying the big $$ for a pro job. That will cost as much as doing epoxy, so pretty much becomes a decision of which I would rather have. The cheap option of course is the $200 or so DIY option. I figure it is worth a shot. If it comes out like crap I can tile over it! But it also sounds like a tedious process and something that if you don't know what you are doing and get it right, will come out terrible.

Why spend a lot of money improving a floor that’s covered up by a car 95% of the time? I never got that unless you’re Jay Leno and you want to highlight your collection.

Even Hoovie settled for what looks like epoxy with a carpet for accent.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

I've never done one, but I've heard the surface prep is key for the epoxy coatings.
    and I am lazy so might not be the best combo...

actually I would do it right. Just like painting the interior (which I do in my house). 90% of the work (and chance of having a good result) is the prep. Putting the paint on is the easy part.

also the house is only 2 YO and the floor looks pretty clean. Without a bunch of damage or oil stains, can probably just get away with hosing it down and using the was stuff, and a quick hit with the etcher that just rolls on. Then roll the paint part and throw on the chips.

it looked easy enough when I watched it on youtube!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J94TqERmttk

I’ve used those DIY products before - not a bad outcome, but just not as durable and long lasting as a pro job. Take the time to wash and etch the floor with the included solution and plan on using as much as twice the product suggested to get a good coating down.

I just remembered what the worst part of the job is. taking everything back out of the garage. And even worse with a paint or epoxy, needs to stay out for a few days minimum. at least the tiles, you can move stuff side to side and put it back in immediately!

somehow I think I will get distracted with other projects and just sweep it out occasionally, and maybe buy a couple of the trays that you drive over to catch crap in the winter.

@stickguy - I get it.

In our last house, we had three weeks between closing and move in; we used the time to paint all the interior walls and install new flooring (tile and carpet) in the entire house.

With our current house, we'd like to paint the walls, but the hassle of moving furniture and taking things down has given us pause.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

I’m glad this place was just fully painted. I’m not touching a brush any time soon. But I’m thinking at some point the wife will want our bedroom painted. That won’t be too bad.

First project, pulling cheap single shelf out of closet and putting in a nice organizer system.

edited August 2022

Our home was two years old when we bought it and now we have been there two years. Quite honestly the builder’s paint job is starting to show it age a bit in a few rooms.

At some point I guess I’ll just tackle one room at a time and do it. Lower level will be fun, the ceilings are a little over 9’ tall.

@stickguy
    Nothing like the relief of seeing that wire come in. We ended up doing the same thing as you and closed on the new house first.

Update on the RAM. It has landed in FL and the broker is getting it trucker up here along with a bunch of others. I’m guessing next week for delivery.

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,356
    Re: builder paint…The house I bought new in ‘05 came with the standard off white throughout and they wanted a crazy amount to deviate or do rooms different colors. So needless to say I took on that task myself. I was up on a ladder cutting in above the kitchen cabinets and the paint was so thin I could read the drywall measurements penciled on the wall.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha