Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,428

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,662
    qbrozen said:

Got more detailed pics on the Suzuki. It is far nicer than I thought.

Unique interior colors. I like it.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

nyccarguy said:

au1994 said:

Just be careful playing in the used car end of the pool. As you may remember my MiL totaled her Forester and replaced it with a ‘16 Outback. What I didn’t mention is she has macular degeneration and in the past month it has taken a turn to the point where she will not be able to drive for too much longer.

I’ve already had quotes on the Outback and its not pretty.

Sorry to hear about your mother-in-law. Since I got my license in 1992, I've only owned 2 used cars. My 2015 Infiniti Q40 which was 2 1/2 years old and had less than 7,500 miles on it and my 1990 E30 BMW 325i which had about 82,000 miles. I am very skeptical of the used car market. It is amazing how an oil change and a professional detail can make even the most neglected car look perfect.
    I’ve purchased 12 used cars in my life and I would be reluctant to buy another in this market unless I knew the owner. My fear is that in their desperation to secure inventory dealers are acquiring substandard cars and fixing the cosmetics only.

Time to cozy up to grandma or uncle Bert.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,983
    With the exception of CarMax, most of the dealers that also sell used cars are low on inventory New and Used. Trucks and SUVs are the primary vehicles still available. I noticed on my drive to work this morning the Carvana tower that dispenses vehicles only had three inside it.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,265

@oldfarmer50 - in my experience, they’re not even fixing the cosmetics anymore.

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,356
    edited August 2022
    One of my friends from law school(who ended up introducing me to one of her sorority sisters-now my wife) called Sunday asking about a couple of M440i xDrive coupes that she was considering. One dealer let her make an appointment on Monday to view a certain car but when she arrived the dealer couldn't find it. I then told her about a car at my store and told her to drop my name. I also called and gave a sales manager a heads-up. Apparently that got results as the car was a loaner and they immediately sent someone to the customer's house to swap cars and and bring the M440i to the dealer. She ended up buying it and it looks like I'll have to put on my BMW Genius cap and help bring her up to speed.
    This all took place in the middle of a busy Circuit Court motion hour and pretrial docket. Luckily my first assistant knows I have my priorities in order and covered for me while I was coordinating my friend's visit to my dealer.
    I probably won't be doing much looking at cars for a while as over the next four weeks I have to try a sex abuse case, a murder case, and a case involving a knucklehead who ran from the police during a stop- all televised in the first episode of 60 Days In: Narcoland a few years ago...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,382
    sda said:

With the exception of CarMax, most of the dealers that also sell used cars are low on inventory New and Used. Trucks and SUVs are the primary vehicles still available. I noticed on my drive to work this morning the Carvana tower that dispenses vehicles only had three inside it.

I looked at a local Acura site this weekend. 7 new cars across the product line.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,090

To my colorblind eyes it appears as a Sea of Gray.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

ran from the police during a stop

Did he get out of the car and run or did he go full OJ?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

edited August 2022
    @28firefighter - I saw an Elantra N in the same color as yours on the other side of the highway yesterday. First 1 I've seen in the wild. It looks great! I know you don't do a ton of driving, but hopefully you are enjoying it!

I just built one on the Hyundai website. That's a lot of car for $33K (w/ a 6-Speed stick).

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,098
    Sold my uncle's 2018 RAV4 to the local Toyota dealership, yesterday. 4K miles, smoker's car.
    $25,500

They had about 10 new cars, total. None in the showroom, but some parked out front. Maybe 2 dozen used cars.

UCM said there is no shortage of used cars. He can get all he wants. But, he says the demand from rental car companies and Carvana are jacking up the prices. He isn't willing to load up his (huge) lot with used cars at ultra-high prices, and end up losing if the prices drop.

Also, said that they still get plenty of new cars, but most are pre-sold, by the time they hit the lot.

Just one manager's outlook.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

My driveway is about to become occupied by 1 more vehicle. It isn't what you think. My best friend (since the 4th grade) moved to Florida last week. His businesses are up here in CT & NY. So for the foreseeable he's going to have to come up here for a few days a week at a time and he will need something to drive. Luckily he has an extra car, a 2017 2 Door JK Wrangler Rubicon Hard Rock with a 6-Speed manual transmission.

Another friend of mine is going to take me to pickup the JK. He's got an off road modified (that he legitimately off roads with) JL and a 392 Rubicon. He's picking me up in the 392 Rubicon and wants to drive my 4Xe.

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,941

@kyfdx said:
    UCM said there is no shortage of used cars. He can get all he wants. But, he says the demand from rental car companies and Carvana are jacking up the prices. He isn't willing to load up his (huge) lot with used cars at ultra-high prices, and end up losing if the prices drop.

Similar to what one told me on Monday. Funny that it was the same UCM who bought my previous 4xe. Guess he learned something between then and now.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

ab348 said:

I find that interesting in that how do we know what color someone else is perceiving? What I see in that picture as a blueish green was seen by another poster as blue. Several of my coworkers are color blind and they see dark red, brown and orange all as just brown.

I was watching a video recently with the title. “Why didn’t ancient people see blue?”. According to that person, the reason is that they didn’t perceive blue as a separate color because they didn’t have a word for it so people simply described blue as a shade of green. There also seems to be a small portion of people who can see subtle color shades beyond so called “normal” sighted people. Those folks seem to be drawn to careers in fashion or art.

In any event while I imagine science can detect infinite wavelength differences we can’t really know what another person perceives as color.

Sorry to ramble but I find how people’s perceptions can vary wildly in all sorts of situations to be fascinating.

kyfdx said:

Sold my uncle's 2018 RAV4 to the local Toyota dealership, yesterday. 4K miles, smoker's car.
    $25,500

They had about 10 new cars, total. None in the showroom, but some parked out front. Maybe 2 dozen used cars.

Also, said that they still get plenty of new cars, but most are pre-sold, by the time they hit the lot.

Just one manager's outlook.

Competition from rental companies is intense. We buy anything we can get our hands on up to three years old and up to about 30k miles I guessing from what I’m seeing. For the first time I’m seeing used Subarus and Honda’s which we never had before.

On the new side we we buy the entire inventory from some dealers. 20-30-40 trucks or SUVs at a time.

Many of our used units are hitting the 60k miles mark and are now being sold back to those same dealers or the auctions.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,090
    edited August 2022

ab348 said:

I find that interesting in that how do we know what color someone else is perceiving? What I see in that picture as a blueish green was seen by another poster as blue. Several of my coworkers are color blind and they see dark red, brown and orange all as just brown.
    My favorite story about my colorblindness comes from many years ago when I was working. Back then it was expected that you would wear a suit and tie at the office - a blazer or sports coat was OK, but you weren't going to get ahead that way - so I had a bunch of suits. When the store I preferred to shop at had a suit sale I would always take a look and sometimes buy. This one time they had a sale and I saw a suit in my size that I thought would fit right in, a nice gray wool fabric with a very subtle stripe from a good manufacturer. I bought a tie that seemed to go with it and the salesguy agreed. I wore that suit for at least 2 years before someone complimented me on my nice taupe suit. Now, taupe is a total non-color for me. Since I really can't see it, I think it looks gray in most of its shades until it spills over to the brown side and becomes beige. Thankfully the matching tie I bought for that taupe suit at the time was mostly black with some gray and brown accents, so it worked either way. Just another cross to bear... :D

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

ab348 said:

ab348 said:

My favorite story about my colorblindness comes from many years ago when I was working. Back then it was expected that you would wear a suit and tie at the office - a blazer or sports coat was OK, but you weren't going to get ahead that way - so I had a bunch of suits. When the store I preferred to shop at had a suit sale I would always take a look and sometimes buy. This one time they had a sale and I saw a suit in my size that I thought would fit right in, a nice gray wool fabric with a very subtle stripe from a good manufacturer. I bought a tie that seemed to go with it and the salesguy agreed. I wore that suit for at least 2 years before someone complimented me on my nice taupe suit. Now, taupe is a total non-color for me. Since I really can't see it, I think it looks gray in most of its shades until it spills over to the brown side and becomes beige. Thankfully the matching tie I bought for that taupe suit at the time was mostly black with some gray and brown accents, so it worked either way. Just another cross to bear... :D
    One of the color blind guys at work only wears white socks after too many miss matches in his corporate career.

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    I am 50% color blind, and I can readily identify with trying to match up your tie to your suit. I always got help when purchasing, and kept the suit and the tie together so no chance of mismatch. I have been known to wear two different colored socks, but I never thought of that as being a big deal.

Mostly it's something I don't think about or worry about, but occasionally it does bother me. Back in 2000, I purchased a new F150, a really nice Lariat model, leather seats, all the goodies. It was an advertised special, a very good deal, and they had 6 at that price, equipped the same but different colors. My wife picked the color, which was some color that I just flat could not see. But she assured me it looked really good, and I went with it.

Apparently a lot of people liked the color. A number of people I worked with told me how much they liked my new truck, and asked me what that color was. I memorized the name of the color from the window sticker, so as not to have to explain it was "no color" to me. But after a while, it started getting to me.

I only kept that truck about 9 months, traded it in for a red truck, a color I can see.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
    Interesting article in my news feed this morning. From Axios, the headline reads:

If you want an electric car, buy one this week

I'm not going to quote it here, it comes across as a little political, which we try to avoid on this site. But if you are thinking of buying an electric car, you should probably go read that article right now. Search for

'axios if you want an electric car'

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,356

@nyccarguy said:
    ran from the police during a stop

Did he get out of the car and run or did he go full OJ?

He pulled over and gave the police his name. The detective ran his record and then when he walked back to the car the defendant took off. The detective decided to call off the pursuit when the defendant started weaving in and out of some heavy traffic.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,392
    edited August 2022

@nyccarguy said:
    @28firefighter - I saw an Elantra N in the same color as yours on the other side of the highway yesterday. First 1 I've seen in the wild. It looks great! I know you don't do a ton of driving, but hopefully you are enjoying it!

I just built one on the Hyundai website. That's a lot of car for $33K (w/ a 6-Speed stick).

Thank you! I'm really happy so far and agree, it is a lot of bang for the buck. I've actually been "ordered" back to the office 2 days a week starting September, and by ordered, I mean they'd like me in as much as I can on that cadence to keep my assigned desk so I'm expecting to be driving a bit more. I'm really devastated that I'll have to spend more time behind the wheel of my toy.

2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,918

@nyccarguy said:

Thank you! I'm really happy so far and agree, it is a lot of bang for the buck. I've actually been "ordered" back to the office 2 days a week starting September, and by ordered, I mean they'd like me in as much as I can on that cadence to keep my assigned desk so I'm expecting to be driving a bit more. I'm really devastated that I'll have to spend more time behind the wheel of my toy.

Some days I miss driving to work, but most of the time I’m thankful for being WFH 100%

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

Just had a thought. My Mother In Law mentioned last night that she and my father in law will be in the market for a new car next summer. She currently leases a Ford Edge SEL (2020) and they own my Father In Law's 2017 (I think) Subaru Outback Premium. She mentioned that once his 100K extended warranty is up, they'll be looking to replace his car as well. It's been crashed (by the dealer while the tech took it out for a road test) and not fixed to the greatest standards. I've had my heart set on a manual transmission car for my son to learn on, but this might make an excellent 1st car... thoughts?

@nyccarguy said:
    Just had a thought. My Mother In Law mentioned last night that she and my father in law will be in the market for a new car next summer. She currently leases a Ford Edge SEL (2020) and they own my Father In Law's 2017 (I think) Subaru Outback Premium. She mentioned that once his 100K extended warranty is up, they'll be looking to replace his car as well. It's been crashed (by the dealer while the tech took it out for a road test) and not fixed to the greatest standards. I've had my heart set on a manual transmission car for my son to learn on, but this might make an excellent 1st car... thoughts?

Sounds like the perfect first car to me!

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,252
    I second the motion to pick up the Outback.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    edited August 2022

@nyccarguy said:

Did Hyundai part with an "N" for sticker or less? The one I saw had Dealer markups that start making you think you might as well get a Genesis. The N's are rare but the Genesis brand has reasonable stock and inventory; at least where I went.

Any CONS on the Elantra N you've found yet besides hard plastics? BOSE sound system right? Is it decent; BOSE is known to be pretty lame from past experience. Do you have a spare tire in the trunk?
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    andres3 said:

@nyccarguy said:

Did Hyundai part with an "N" for sticker or less? The one I saw had Dealer markups that start making you think you might as well get a Genesis. The N's are rare but the Genesis brand has reasonable stock and inventory; at least where I went.

Any CONS on the Elantra N you've found yet besides hard plastics? BOSE sound system right? Is it decent; BOSE is known to be pretty lame from past experience. Do you have a spare tire in the trunk?

I paid sticker for it - nothing else except tax and tags.

Not really so far - bose sound system is meh, but I never expected anything else. No spare tire but come to think of it, I haven't looked before so I'll confirm later.

It really is a lot of fun for the $$.
  • breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    On the EV credit front, I just received an email from Rivian providing the option to enter into a binding agreement for my R1S, which basically means $100 of the deposit is now non-refundable.

No guarantees when it comes to interpretation of tax rules, but the thought is that if you enter into a binding agreement to purchase an EV prior to the signing of the bill, you will be eligible for the tax credit under the old rule.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

I also was playing around the new Nissan Z configurator which then gives you the option of submitting your interest. Within an hour I got a call from my local Nissan dealership who put me on their list.

Not sure if that will actually lead to anything, but best case I get the option of buying a Z within the next several months. Most likely scenario is that I get a call saying they got a Z in and it can be all mine for $20k over MSRP.

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,604
    I'm trying to picture Breld in a Corvette. This might take some time.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

I think we need a roll call on who has what on order or reservation. I'm losing track of it all. I guess I'll go first.

Cybertruck (I actually have an early reservation on this one, I think)
    R1S
    Canoo truck
    Ineos Grenadier

...yes, for real.

Mine are all in my sig. :)

@breld , so this is so you can have 2 Rivians? Wait... no, you sold one already, right? No, it is in your sig still. I forget.

anyway, I received the same email from Lucid. Since I wrote off the $300 deposit before even placing the reservation, I went ahead and made it a "real order" and nonrefundable.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

tifighter said:

I think we need a roll call on who has what on order or reservation. I'm losing track of it all. I guess I'll go first.

R1S
    Canoo truck
    Ineos Grenadier

...yes, for real.

I had to look up that last one - wow...that's something.

I have the reservation for the R1S (just made recently) and my wife made one for a Fisker Ocean.

We’ve only got the ID.4 on order, but if the tax credit goes away, we may cancel it.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

qbrozen said:

Mine are all in my sig. :)

@breld , so this is so you can have 2 Rivians? Wait... no, you sold one already, right? No, it is in your sig still. I forget.

anyway, I received the same email from Lucid. Since I wrote off the $300 deposit before even placing the reservation, I went ahead and made it a "real order" and nonrefundable.

The R1T is sort of our "trial" Rivian - we'll put that up on consignment shortly.

breld said:

tifighter said:

R1S
    Canoo truck
    Ineos Grenadier

...yes, for real.

I had to look up that last one - wow...that's something.

I have the reservation for the R1S (just made recently) and my wife made one for a Fisker Ocean.
    Yeah, it's a funny story. Defender owner doesn't like the new Defender. Guy remembers he's the founder and CEO of the 4th largest chemical company in the world. He decides he'll make his own 4x4. Buys factory from Daimler-Benz, gets the Gwagon team from Steyr to do engineering, and sources powertrain from BMW and ZF. Bam - Ineos Grenadier. Delivering in EU this year, US supposedly next year.

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,382
    nyccarguy said:

+3 on the Subaru. Its safe, reliable and gonna take a beating anyway so the cosmetics are less of a concern.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

breld said:

Oh, and I was clearly a bit distracted while working from home earlier this week and got on a list at a local Chevy dealer to order a Corvette at MSRP. :D

That’s actually a good deal even in normal times. I’ve seen $15k ADMs on many.

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    We delivered a bunch of "ucs's" or "sold cars" as we call them the past couple of days. All seem to have just over 60K on them. And OF is right, getting in a lot of newer used vehicles from dealers all around here. More Honda's and Acura's than I've seen before. While at Hertz, we did also pick up a bunch of brand new Civic's & Accord's from the local Honda store but that was before the pandemic. I know my old Toyota store has a sold sign in most of their new inventory but not surprised with all the pent up demand out there.
    Hoping by the start of 2024, things will go back to near normal where they have inventory sitting to test drive. I usually decide to buy & buy within a months time period if not sooner. Not sure how I feel about not test driving the particular unit I'm thinking of buying first. Just might mean that I'll need to make a quick decision then & there which I hate doing. But these are strange times we are living in & just might mean holding onto what we've both got for a good ten years or so. I'm just at about 71.5K right now & the Audi isn't too far behind at around 70.5K...figure that the A3 will pass me by by the time the holidays get here and we'll both be around 82K. Passed a Mini Cooper like Mrs. B has today and definitely liked the size...her color combo is much nicer though. I'm hoping they'll give me a decent amount of notice before they decide what to do with it as it would fit my needs perfectly to be honest. I'd need to take out a loan to cover the cost & then get it back here somehow then sell my Golf. just not sure if it'll come to fruition but would be cool if it did. I know they both take great care of their vehicles so that's not an issue. My wife could be the bigger problem as she'd think I'm crazy to even consider this even though size wise, it is the perfect vehicle for me. As nice as a Hyundai Kona is and it also being the perfect size, just no excitement there as there is with the M C, which puts that same silly grin on my face as the current V W does now. And that's what tells me I've chosen the right vehicle to purchase, when it puts that silly grin on my face when I see it. Guess it's the results of what I've come to call it, "the Sandman test". The Golf nailed it back in 2014 and the Breld's M C nailed it also! What can I say...it's my definitive test!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498
    edited August 2022
    Will using PUG in the Mini be a negative for you? Don’t at least some (S models for sure) of them require it?
    carnaught said:

Will using PUG in the Mini be a negative for you? Don’t all, or at least some (S models) of them, require it?

Yes, S models require Premium.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Well, it finally happened, I saw my first Maverick out on the freeway. We had some really big thunderstorms roll through earlier this evening, caught me out on the freeway. The kind of deluge where people are driving 30 with their flashers on. Needless to say I didn't get a very good look, but it was definitely a Maverick.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,542
    I feel like a piker with my measly 1 on order (Maverick Hybrid). though that is almost 10 months old now, with no end in sight! If I had not already gotten the ecoboost I would have bailed a long time ago and bought something else.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,542
    oh, add me as another vote to snag the Outback for the kid.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

I have nothing on order. I’m okay with it. This is fine.

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,265
    @stickguy - same! I'm also more than a little jealous of $5xx/month RAM and 4xE leases, even though I'd be annoyed with the maneuverability and size of the RAM just as I am the Tundra.
    On order? I've got a 4Xe Rubicon in Fire Cracker Red with the Cold Weather Package and NOTHING else. I've also got a RAV4 Prime XSE on order.

@nyccarguy said:
    On order? I've got a 4Xe Rubicon in Fire Cracker Red with the Cold Weather Package and NOTHING else. I've also got a RAV4 Prime XSE on order.

A soft top? Bold move