Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,437
    qbrozen said:

@nyccarguy said:

On order? I've got a 4Xe Rubicon in Fire Cracker Red with the Cold Weather Package and NOTHING else. I've also got a RAV4 Prime XSE on order.

A soft top? Bold move

Yup. Soft Top.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    nyccarguy said:

On order? I've got a 4Xe Rubicon in Fire Cracker Red with the Cold Weather Package and NOTHING else. I've also got a RAV4 Prime XSE on order.

I now, of course, realize when you stated "NOTHING else" that you mean no other packages or options on the 4Xe.

But my first read through that, I thought it said you had NOTHING ELSE on order....then you went on to state you had a RAV4 Prime on order. True CCBA style. :)

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    @tjc78 …..nice deal on a really nice truck. Congrats!
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665

One of my friends from law school(who ended up introducing me to one of her sorority sisters-now my wife) called Sunday asking about a couple of M440i xDrive coupes that she was considering. One dealer let her make an appointment on Monday to view a certain car but when she arrived the dealer couldn't find it. I then told her about a car at my store and told her to drop my name. I also called and gave a sales manager a heads-up. Apparently that got results as the car was a loaner and they immediately sent someone to the customer's house to swap cars and and bring the M440i to the dealer. She ended up buying it and it looks like I'll have to put on my BMW Genius cap and help bring her up to speed.
    This all took place in the middle of a busy Circuit Court motion hour and pretrial docket. Luckily my first assistant knows I have my priorities in order and covered for me while I was coordinating my friend's visit to my dealer.
    I probably won't be doing much looking at cars for a while as over the next four weeks I have to try a sex abuse case, a murder case, and a case involving a knucklehead who ran from the police during a stop- all televised in the first episode of 60 Days In: Narcoland a few years ago...

My life feels so mundane……..! ;)
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    So, just my own thoughts based on shopping the past several weeks...dare I say the car market is starting to soften ever so slightly?
    • A co-worker of ours has been thinking of a GV80 for close to a year now. A couple weeks ago, he and his wife decide to go out looking...he ends up buying a nice GV80 Advanced + that was available on the lot. And based on our shopping, there are definitely GV80's available. Maybe not every color and option package, but they are available.
    • Acura Integras may not be plentiful, but I could go buy one today if I decided Gray or Black was acceptable...and my color of choice in White is available to reserve for delivery within the next few weeks in my preferred White, with my choice of interior color.
    • M2s seem to be coming down just a bit. My local BMW dealership had a 2020 with reasonable miles for low-$60k's that sat on the lot for a couple weeks. Not great pricing, but at least below original MSRP. I've also seen some OG M2's start to dip below $50k.
    All just anecdotal, but I am hopeful. And for all the current demand for enthusiast cars, I think that segment will be hit the soonest, much like how I picked up my Supra in the middle of the pandemic.

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,949
    what did you coworker pay in relation to msrp?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,927

@tjc78 …..nice deal on a really nice truck. Congrats!

Thanks! Now just need to get it here.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    qbrozen said:

what did you coworker pay in relation to msrp?

Well, that is the key question, right? I didn't feel comfortable asking, but based on what I know of him I'd be surprised if he paid anything significant over MSRP.

And I do know of two other Hyundai/Genesis shops that are at MSRP in the area.

• Options
    Given I have an order for the R1S at Rivian's new pricing, meant to be offset by profit on the R1T, yesterday morning I realized I should at least consider BMW's iX, which is priced similarly.

Made an appointment to demo one after work. Summary...I haven't quite stricken it from consideration, but it makes Rivian's first offering that much more impressive. Quick thoughts:
    • Styling is subjective of course, but I prefer Rivian's bolder look to the iX's, though I have to admit, it is pretty cool and futuristic.
    • The BMW operates smoother and quieter than the Rivian. Letting up on the throttle is less abrupt, but I also found myself using the brake pedal more often in the BMW than I would have to in the Rivian (or the Polestar).
    • I appreciate BMW's iDrive system in the iX - Rivian went with the Tesla approach...functions are almost entirely through the touchscreen menus. BMW's heads up display was pretty great too...Rivian doesn't offer one at all.
    • Acceleration was more than fine in the BMW, but at the same price point, you're comparing Rivian's 800 hp quad-motor setup to the iX xDrive 50's "mere" 516 hp. The M60i version would cost quite a bit more.
    • I've always loved the split tailgate of the X5...funny to me the iX ditches that but the Rivian has it.
    Was told a current order of an iX would likely be delivered Q2 2023. Rivian is estimating second half of 2023. With the iX almost certainly losing the EV credit, it'll be interesting to see if wait times go down with order holders canceling.

• Options
    Oh...I had been casually eyeing this online, but since I was at the BMW dealership I took a quick peek. Original MSRP of about $95k...2-3 years old with 20k miles and CPO at $70k? Almost feels like a pre-pandemic used car buy? All of a sudden I started wondering if I really need an SUV. :)

• Options
    jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,565

@henryn said:
    Well, it finally happened, I saw my first Maverick out on the freeway. We had some really big thunderstorms roll through earlier this evening, caught me out on the freeway. The kind of deluge where people are driving 30 with their flashers on. Needless to say I didn't get a very good look, but it was definitely a Maverick.

————————————————
    For proof we need a pic.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    breld said:

Oh...I had been casually eyeing this online, but since I was at the BMW dealership I took a quick peek. Original MSRP of about $95k...2-3 years old with 20k miles and CPO at $70k? Almost feels like a pre-pandemic used car buy? All of a sudden I started wondering if I really need an SUV. :)

considering old BMW discounts and incentives, seems like you could have gotten one brand new for that pre-pandemic.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    breld said:

nyccarguy said:

I now, of course, realize when you stated "NOTHING else" that you mean no other packages or options on the 4Xe.

But my first read through that, I thought it said you had NOTHING ELSE on order....then you went on to state you had a RAV4 Prime on order. True CCBA style. :)
    You got it. No other packages or options on the 4Xe.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    edited August 2022

So in the realm of nothing is ever easy…

Just got an update on the RAM. They were getting ready to put it on the trailer and during PDI they noticed a crack in the windshield. The new one won’t be received until 8/18. Then they have to replace it and get it on a truck to me.

I just requested the paperwork to be all re-done. It has the lease starting on 8/3. By the time I receive the truck I’ll almost be a month in. I said they could date it for the day the windshield is replaced.

Now I need to scramble and get the S60 grounded as I was going to do that at a dealer local to where I am picking up the truck.

• Options

@breld
    I saw one these just yesterday. Beautiful car.

• Options
    henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    jmonroe1 said:

@henryn said:

Well, it finally happened, I saw my first Maverick out on the freeway. We had some really big thunderstorms roll through earlier this evening, caught me out on the freeway. The kind of deluge where people are driving 30 with their flashers on. Needless to say I didn't get a very good look, but it was definitely a Maverick.

————————————————

For proof we need a pic.

jmonroe

I do not use the phone while I'm driving. No texting, no picture taking, nothing. I make no calls, and usually won't even answer incoming calls on bluetooth. Unless it's an incoming call from the person I'm driving to meet, or a close relative or ...

Last night, in the pouring rain, I wouldn't have answered a phone call from anyone.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,267

• Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,734
    Here's one for you, have your checkbook in hand:

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,734
    Atlantic Subaru on the Cape, they always seem to have an interesting selection of used cars. Who knew such a diverse clientele traded in on Subies!

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,256
    No turbo = no sale

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    @corvette

There has been a big discussion about this particular car on the Prelude FB groups. First sold on BAT in October 2019 for $13,500 (https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2001-honda-prelude-21/), then again in June of 2022 for $36,001 (https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2001-honda-prelude-54/) by the dealer that is now trying to make a tidy profit. You all know how much I love and adore my Prelude. No way I would even consider spending close to double it's original MSRP on one. Not even if it was pulled from the secret Honda garage with less than 1,000 miles and the technicians from the factory replaced replaced every seal, hose, and gasket.

• Options

@kyfdx said:
    No turbo = no sale

Rare manual, though. Makes it worth a premium.

• Options

@nyccarguy $13,500 seems reasonable. The $36k does not. I think Elliott Alvis sold his Hellcat on Cars & Bids and it ended up going to a dealer in California hoping to sell it for a premium to the auction price.

• Options
    edited August 2022
    That’s great. Will the Wagoneer replace the Sprinter when it arrives?

Bigger financially than the TRX, or aren’t you counting that one?

• Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,393
    edited August 2022
    My guess is the TRX was minimal out of pocket lease and was a quick flip. So although biggest MSRP, probably not the biggest upfront outlay. Guessing the Sprinter is a buy.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,987
    Sadly no new vehicles for us in the short term. We are in a hold mode.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    Actually, even if I had paid all up front on the TRX, this is still more. TRX had a larger MSRP but the big discount brought it below the Sprinter. MB has a $73,684 sticker, and of course $0 discount. TRX after discount was $71,605.

I thought a little about leasing the sprinter today only because there is $1500 lease cash. BUT, then occurred to me that it would be way tougher to get rid of if need be. So just paying for it and getting title in hand.

Whether the Wagoneer will replace it remains to be seen. All depends on how we like living with it.

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,319
    qbrozen said:

All depends on how we like living with it.

We? I thought this was the wife's choice. I suppose if she doesn't like it, it will be gone in short order.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    Michaell said:

qbrozen said:

All depends on how we like living with it.

We? I thought this was the wife's choice. I suppose if she doesn't like it, it will be gone in short order.

well, ya know, I like to pretend I have something to do with it.

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,671
    corvette said:

Wow! What was that someone said about used car prices finally coming down?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,389
    I’m taking the “It's 5:00 somewhere” approach to the rest of my Friday.

The X1 had the “secure vehicle when parked” error code repaired last week. That entailed replacing the shifter mechanism and it had a cold start issue fixed. Even at an indy, I don’t want to tell you what that cost.

I was out of town for a night last week and came home to find the kids 328 in the garage with plastic wrap on the back passenger window. Seems it has come off its track. I can hear the motor spin so hopefully its not that. Based on mileage and history, its also due for a belt replacement.

This morning I get into the Jeep to head to the lake and get a CEL. Tried cycling it a few times and reseating the gas cap but nothing worked.

Sigh…

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• Options
    au1994 said:

I’m taking the “It's 5:00 somewhere” approach to the rest of my Friday.

This is me when I wake up..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    The price on this has been creeping down ever so slightly (not that I've been paying attention :) ).

https://www.kunilexusofgreenwoodvillage.com/inventory/used-2005-honda-s2000-base-rwd-2d-convertible-jhmap21425s005885/

• Options
    I was looking at the new inventory at our local Acura dealer. Curious mainly about the Integra and TLX. The dealer has zero new vehicles. They either are Dealer Ordered or In Transit. wow

• Options
    sda said:

I was looking at the new inventory at our local Acura dealer. Curious mainly about the Integra and TLX. The dealer has zero new vehicles. They either are Dealer Ordered or In Transit. wow

I was trying to show my wife an RDX this weekend and one of the dealer sites I went to had 7 new vehicles, only 1 RDX which was an A-spec.

• Options
    tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,606
    breld said:

The price on this has been creeping down ever so slightly (not that I've been paying attention :) ).

https://www.kunilexusofgreenwoodvillage.com/inventory/used-2005-honda-s2000-base-rwd-2d-convertible-jhmap21425s005885/

Do you fit in one? I know I don't.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• Options
    Set up the lease turn-in on the Tundra today (scheduled for Friday the 26th). The person who answered the phone hassled me to come in right away for an appraisal and to discuss lease end options, but backed off when I told her it was going back to US Bank and I just needed an appointment to turn it in--possibly because US Bank doesn't allow dealer buyouts of leases, so far as I know.
  • Options
    How many miles did you put on the Tundra? Are you under/over the allowance?

• Options
    corvette said:

29,918, allowance is 30k with the lease extension, plus I think it had 53 miles on it at delivery. Plan to borrow the Q5 a week from tomorrow. On track to drop it off very close to the allotted mileage and with the tank on E. :D

I’ve NEVER been that good on any of my leases!!

• Options
    Correct about US Bank.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    tifighter said:

breld said:

Do you fit in one? I know I don't.
    I fit, but not comfortably. I actually had lunch today with a friend who recently bought an '06 S2000 so I took that out for a quick drive. Getting in and out is challenging, but once I'm in I can operate the vehicle. But even my friend was saying it looks like I'm really crammed in there.

• Options
    tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,606

@breld said:
    I fit, but not comfortably. I actually had lunch today with a friend who recently bought an '06 S2000 so I took that out for a quick drive. Getting in and out is challenging, but once I'm in I can operate the vehicle. But even my friend was saying it looks like I'm really crammed in there.

The low steering wheel was a problem for me when using the clutch. And it’s a S2K, so that’s basically all of the time. It’s too bad because I’m a fan.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,671
    breld said:

Isn’t that more than it sold for new?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    au1994 said:

I’ve NEVER been that good on any of my leases!!

I would have been way under had I not taken it on several big road trips: Boston/Maine, the UP of Michigan and Wisconsin, NOLA/Houston, the Black Hills, and Denver, plus a trip to Omaha for the annual meeting. Most of those, I could have just as easily flown. Having a second car also helped balance out the mileage.
  • Options
    Looks like it’s ready for an Overland conversion.