Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    kyfdx said:

@nyccarguy The kids won't wear Skechers? :p

We gave sketchers a try a number of years ago. I for 1 liked the price, but they didn't hold up well.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    @nyccarguy,
    There is a New Balance store in Avon and maybe in Canton.
    One of my kids went to Avon to buy new sneakers while they were visiting from OH.
    They like the foot analysis you get there.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,236

I’ve been buying Brooks lately, but also like Merrill.

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,852
    edited August 2022

@nyccarguy,
    One of my kids went to Avon to buy new sneakers while they were visiting from OH.

Teenagers aren’t wearing New Balance. Heck I had a pair and my wife told me I wasn’t old enough. They were so comfortable though!

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    tjc78 said:

@nyccarguy,

Teenagers aren’t wearing New Balance. Heck I had a pair and my wife told me I wasn’t old enough. They were so comfortable though!
    For a long time they were made exclusively here in the US, i think that changed a few years ago.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,029
    I have wide feet, shaped sort of like a slice of pizza, narrow at the heel and very wide at the front. Nothing Nike makes fits me. Some New Balance stuff does but you need to be careful to try them first because they have several different shapes.

Interestingly to me, the most comfortable pair of shoes I have found in years are New Balance "RCVRY" slip-ons, almost like a bedroom slipper styled like an athletic shoe, which I think are intended for wearing after games/workouts. Naturally NB discontinued them.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,029
    tjc78 said:

It's awful to be a fashion victim! They even write songs about it. :D

https://youtu.be/u0xYJkY3psk

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,356
    corvette said:

I’ve been buying Brooks lately, but also like Merrill.

Brooks for jogging and working out and Allbirds for casual daily wear. If you haven’t tried the latter, you owe it to yourself. Very comfortable!

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,333

@au1994 said:
    Brooks for jogging and working out and Allbirds for casual daily wear. If you haven’t tried the latter, you owe it to yourself. Very comfortable!

+1 - exactly the same here. I also substitute water proof Vessi casual shoes for my Allbirds in wet Seattle winter.

2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
  • henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    I don't buy shoes, or most clothing online. Exception for underwear, strangely enough.

I have very big feet, 16 EEEE, so I have to buy shoes at the Big & Tall shop. Sketcher, New Balance, or Nike all work for me, when I can find the right size. I have found that most sneakers now separate after you get them wet. They seem to be doing a really poor job of gluing them together. In most cases, they can be repaired with a liberal application of superglue.

Walmart now carries the extra large socks, which saves me a lot of money. 6 pairs for $10 instead of 1 pair for $6.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889

@henryn said:
    I don't buy shoes, or most clothing online. Exception for underwear, strangely enough.

I have very big feet, 16 EEEE, so I have to buy shoes at the Big & Tall shop. Sketcher, New Balance, or Nike all work for me, when I can find the right size. I have found that most sneakers now separate after you get them wet. They seem to be doing a really poor job of gluing them together. In most cases, they can be repaired with a liberal application of superglue.

Walmart now carries the extra large socks, which saves me a lot of money. 6 pairs for $10 instead of 1 pair for $6.

Just FYI, the amazon try before you buy is pretty good. Still tough to find Tall man sizes, but when you do, you get to try it and can opt to send back. Sending isn’t hard. Just drop it off at a UPS store and they take care of it no charge.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    They probably hit them low because its a stick.

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,096
    My friend found the window sticker on the CT6 - 79K and change. I wonder what it would have depreciated to in a normal market (I wonder the same about my wagon), not to mention his Fusion.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    Looks like hoovies Z8. Probably made some money on that one.

Pretty sure he could liquidate now and retire between that one and the Countach.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,465
    tjc78 said:

@nyccarguy,

————————————————
    What is that New Balance is associated with being old? I’ve worn New Balance for years but when I went to get another pair last Winter I saw they jacked up the price of them so I bought a pair of Fila’s that were just as comfortable. I think they were 30 bucks.

If I had teenagers today, they’d be walking around barefooted before I’d pay 300 bucks for anything.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)

@jmonroe1 - New Balance’s image is inextricably linked with Baby Boomers, especially ones who own older Corvettes and wear the New Balances with white knee high socks and shorts.

edited August 2022

@corvette said:
    @jmonroe1 - New Balance’s image is inextricably linked with Baby Boomers, especially ones who own older Corvettes and wear the New Balances with white knee high socks and shorts.

Not just shorts. Jean shorts

@jmonroe
    Believe me, I don’t make this stuff up! My kids have been getting Adidas or Under Armour sneakers and are just fine with them. I don’t think I’ve broken more than $60 a pair.

Man we do talk about everything in here don’t we?

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,465
    corvette said:

————————————————
    Thanks for the explanation. I’m pre-Baby Boomer, not sure I could wiggle into/out of a Vette anymore nor do I own any white knee high socks. Although I do own a few pairs of handsome shorts. So I guess that puts me into a unique no-name category. What else is new? :'(

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)

Bye bye

• ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,190

@au1994 said:

I run in Brooks these days… switched from Saucony 4 years ago when I flared the hell out of my PF. Casual daily walking around is what retired running shoes are for.

2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2013 VW Jetta 2.5SE
    edited August 2022
    I don't run, but I really like "trail running" shoes for hiking and for everyday wear, as they tend to have very good cushioning and grip. I looked at the Allbirds someone here recommended, and I'm pretty certain I would have the same issue with them that I have with Keen sandals--the sole looks like it's too big for my narrow feet, and I will probably end up tripping myself.
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    I like Merrill's also but are very pricey. Also, not as cushioned as Sketchers are. But can usually find a good price at DSW, timing is always the issue there since they get new styles in daily. With my spinal issues, great cushioned shoes are a must for me or my limp gets worse and worse as the day goes by. Luckily I have my cane with me 24/7, it even sleeps by the side of the bed. As much as I have the chronic pain issue, my balance is off a bit and I feel like I'm going to fall most times. They told me I even fell in the hospital back in 2018 but have zero memory of it...heck have no memory of the CAT scan after it happened also. Woke up after about 18 hours and saw a nurse sitting next to me and I was no longer in ICU.
    Needless to say, I've found that certain Sketchers work great for me, so I go to their discount outlet every few months to see what's there. Usually find something except the last couple of runs, have come up empty, but that's o k...only going to buy what grabs me right away.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    Big commotion this morning about 8:30, was dozing a bit and then all h-ll broke loose! Kid comes in, she's visiting for a few days, and asks what did I do to mom's car? I put it in the garage last night after they came home from shopping, so naturally, I did something! Lights work but get that clicking sound and the message reads "battery is dis-charging". Figure it's a bad battery, so we call roadside assistance which is through our insurance company. Couple hours later, a guy shows up with a hand held unit, looks at our current one and says it's dead. Gives me a jump and gets it started but reiterates that it's not charging. Ask him if he sells new batteries as I know the Audi store is going to rape me. Turns out he had some and twenty minutes later, we're all done. Gives me his card and sends the invoice with the warranty to my wife's email and he's on his way.
    Always seems to be something in life I guess. But now, have a new battery and she's good to go. Did we pay a lot for it? Not really sure but it was worth it as he did the work right there. Probably sure the Audi store would've been much more as their prices and tech fees are always higher I've found. Just glad it's all over and luckily I was off today.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,559
    edited August 2022
    jmonroe1 said:

tjc78 said:

@nyccarguy,

————————————————
    What is that New Balance is associated with being old? I’ve worn New Balance for years but when I went to get another pair last Winter I saw they jacked up the price of them so I bought a pair of Fila’s that were just as comfortable. I think they were 30 bucks.

If I had teenagers today, they’d be walking around barefooted before I’d pay 300 bucks for anything.

jmonroe
    My wife’s rich relatives lived across a cove from the owner of New Balance so I always bought those shoes. Recently I found that they cheaped out on the toe of the shoes resulting in my big toe wearing a hole in it. I switched to Sketchers and they seen to be better made.

Oh, and the New Balance guy and the wife’s relative had a fireworks battle across the cove every July 4th. that were quite spectacular. One year even a cannon was brought out.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889

@tjc78 said:
    Bye bye

You’ll miss it.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,591

I run. Mostly with On shoes, with the occasional Hoka.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

@qbrozen said:

@tjc78 said:
    Bye bye

You’ll miss it.

Yes I will. It is up there with my favorites that I’ve owned.

edited August 2022
    tifighter said:

Orbital day. This is as clean as the Montero will ever get.

Nice for a car that age.

Speaking of nice, while I was playing car jockey yesterday I jumped into a Nissan Sentra and found this interior:

I know the company ends up buying some unusual trim combinations but this seemed over the top for a Sentra. My coworkers were unanimous in stating “what a waste” of a good interior.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Running shoes….KIZIKS….a company recommended to me by a guy who ran 2 marathons.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,121

Running shoes….KIZIKS….a company recommended to me by a guy who ran 2 marathons.

I only own Kiziks - I've got like 6 pairs.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289

tifighter said:

Nice for a car that age.

Speaking of nice, while I was playing car jockey yesterday I jumped into a Nissan Sentra and found this interior:

I know the company ends up buying some unusual trim combinations but this seemed over the top for a Sentra. My coworkers were unanimous in stating “what a waste” of a good interior.
    I was walking through the parking lot at the supermarket last week, on the way back to my car, when I passed a Sentra that caught my eye. A very nice color, very nice wheels, everything clean and polished, a good looking car. I had to take a second look to see what it was, and I was surprised to see Sentra.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,698
    Got an email from Polestar this morning announcing the Polestar O2 concept (roadster) will be going into production and inviting me to place a deposit to reserve one.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

Besides the jaw-dropping price (I figured it would be a halo vehicle and priced accordingly, but sheesh!), it's curious to me that a quad-motor Rivian truck has similar 0-60 times.

But at least it's a real convertible...

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,686
    Looks nice, the love child of a Lexus LC and Nissan Z.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

tifighter said:

Nice for a car that age.

From the exterior, the new Nissans look pretty nice. Even the ugly blob Rogue is decent enough looking in the space it competes. Same with the Sentra. No idea about tech or interior and the only indicator on performance I have is a friend who test drove a Frontier and said it was bog slow. I think it was a pretty low end model though.

The seemingly years of neglect may have done to much damage to the brand though. Not sure if some fresh designs will help much.

au1994 said:

tifighter said:

Nice for a car that age.

From the exterior, the new Nissans look pretty nice. Even the ugly blob Rogue is decent enough looking in the space it competes. Same with the Sentra. No idea about tech or interior and the only indicator on performance I have is a friend who test drove a Frontier and said it was bog slow. I think it was a pretty low end model though.

The seemingly years of neglect may have done to much damage to the brand though. Not sure if some fresh designs will help much.
    Nissan has improved the handling of the Sentra (they compare it to a BMW…LOL) but my continuing concern would be the reliability over time. I’ve driven a few which ran like a washing machine full of rocks. Transmissions are still iffy.

The old style Frontiers had very truck-like suspensions, which I liked. The V6 was pretty fast particularly when in AWD and the truck could dig in without burning out. I don’t know what they did with the new design other than make them more expensive.

I enjoyed the '91 Sentra SE I owned.

My alternative was the Hyundai S'Coupe. Guess I dodged a bullet there.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

mjfloyd1 said:
    Relevant to my situation:

If you purchase and take possession of a qualifying electric vehicle after August 16, 2022 and before January 1, 2023, aside from the final assembly requirement, the rules in effect before the enactment of the Inflation Reduction Act for the EV credit apply (including those involving the manufacturing caps on vehicles sold). If you entered into a written binding contract to purchase a new qualifying vehicle before August 16, 2022, see the rule above.

My ID.4 will be built in TN, so I should be good.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Well, that's one way to do it... I'm assuming RAV4 Primes still generally have final assembly overseas--from what I could tell, they are built in Japan?
    Doesn’t seem as though the $100 non refundable deposit for a Rivian meets the definition of a binding contract.

• sb55sb55 Member Posts: 616
    Shoe talk now? I'm size 10 eee so need shoes that come in wide sizes. I used to love Merrell, but they don't seem to last like they used to. Oboz brand are my new go to hiker. They come in wide sizes and really hold up well.

2021 Toyota Venza Limited Hybrid, 2022 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.4 Hemi, 2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT