Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Crew - Future Models II

Comments

• montreal1montreal1 Member Posts: 12
    V

Cheers
  • easypareasypar Member Posts: 191
    Stopped in our local dealer the other day so my wife could look "up close" at the Impreza Sport. I forewarned her it would be too small (it was), but she seems determined NOT to go with an Outback. She's currently in a 2004 Lexus RX and looking to replace it in the next year or so.

Anyway, when I went to the specs part on here to do a side-by-side comparo between her car, the Impreza Sport and the Outback we noticed the XV. Obviously not a lot of info on here regarding it other than gross length, height, width, but we'd like to find a bit more about it.

Is it going to replace something? Probably not the Impreza Sport as the next of version of it is close to hitting, and not the Forester due to its popularity. The pix look like more of a true compact SUV (reminiscent of something from Kia/Hyundai in some pix) but better lines than the boxy Forester.

Anyone got anything that they've sniffed out?

Thanks in advance.

easypar
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Should be identical to the Impreza inside, just lifted and beefed up outside. The seating position could be a tad higher, too.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    edited November 2011
    The XV (or CrossTrek?) should be here as a 2013 model. As AJ indicated, it's based on a jacked up Impreza. So if you think the Impreza is too small, that will the case with this model as well.

Here are a few links on the world-spec model which should be hitting dealers in Europe, Australia, etc. around the first of the year.

http://www.subaru-global.com/about/motorshow/ms/2011frankfurt/xv/index.html

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/subaru/2012-subaru-xv-crossover-ar114087.html

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/best-cars-blog/2011/09/2013_Sub- - aru_XV_Will_Come_to_the_US/

No word yet as how the US-spec model might differ from these world-spec models.

Bob
  • grahampetersgrahampeters Member Posts: 1,786
    G'day

There have already been some First Drive type road tests of the XV in Australian newspapers

http://theage.drive.com.au/motor-news/new-subaru-xv-first-drive-20111025-1mh45.h- tml

The Subaru Australia site has a bit of detail:

http://subaru.com.au/xv/newxv

It has a similar feel to how the Outback derived from the Liberty/Legacy

Cheers

Graham
  • colin_lcolin_l Member Posts: 591
    Wow, literally none of the commenters on that article liked it!
    G'day

Definitely not the smartest move that they have made. The similarity to the prior Ford Focus is enhanced by the orange colour, which was ubiquitous for the Focus.

Cheers

Graham
    So we got a service loaner, a Sentra with a 2l and CVT. Sound familiar?

It's not pretty, and the inside is plasticky, but it does have alloys and a nice transmission.

The CVT builds revs gradually and doesn't drone at one RPM level the whole time, which I liked. It just felt like you had linear acceleration from one long, tall gear.

Kinda interesting, because I've liked the CVT in other Nissans (Altima), but not in anything else (rental Lancer, base Outlander).

So hopefully Subaru can program theirs to operate like that. I honestly had no objection whatsoever, in fact I'm inclined to say I liked it better than our 4EAT.
    What did you have serviced?

Bob
    Fitz in Gaithersburg, the one next to the Costco.

What, not where, oops.

Noise from the back, turned out to be a loose tail gate, I think the base striker plate. I hope they put thread lock ... in fact I'll ask.
    I am not surprised. Autoblog has a number of editors and contributors that are current and former Subaru owners, and they like the brand a lot.

I'm not saying that is the only reason the car won. It looks pretty good!
    It's a cosmetic package, though. No turbo at all.
    Never thought I'd find a Subaru to hate, but this BRZ is just such a car. Why? No AWD. It's just wrong for the brand.

It makes for a great Scion/Toyota sports car, but it's a lousy Subaru. No amount of counter arguments will change my mind on this.

Bob
    G'day

However, you do have to agree that it is prettier than any of the others shown?

Cheers

Graham
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    I certainly woudn't buy it as a Toyota, but with the Subaru badge on it, I'll be looking at it. Especially if it gets 30 mpg.

John
    edited November 2011
    Why would you not by the Toyota version? I don't understand that kind of thinking?

Bob
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,756
    Subaru? What? I was looking at the other cars at the show, and the one that caught my eye is the Fiesta ST! I did a little more reading on it, and that looks like it might just be the mix of fun, price, and economy I need (want)! If they put that on the market in the next year, I might just jump on it... assuming they offer it in the current "blaze yellow" or some color other than that hideous neon in the photos.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    Could be he has Subaru Bucks?

I think I have $500 or so saved up.

It all depends on how they price and package them, though.
    http://www.subaru.com/vehicles/impreza/index.html

I did up a Premium, manual, heated seats and moonroof, came to just a tad over $22k list. With my $500 Subaru Bucks and $1500 or so discount (that's what someone reported on the 2012 Impreza thread), that would put my street price at around $20k.

Add CVT and Navi and it would be $24.3k list.

I guess that's par nowadays, but that's not even a Limited, nor is it a Sport.
  • dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567
    I guess that's par nowadays, but that's not even a Limited, nor is it a Sport.

A Sport (Premium) is just a Premium with standard 17" wheel upgrade, AWP, fog lights, and roof rails.

So, a Premium with AWP and Moonroof (requires/includes 17" wheel upgrade) is only lacking fog lights and roof rails, but has a Moonroof (which you can't get on a Sport Premium).

Basically, a Premium and Sport Premium are close to the same price if similarly equipped.
    Analyzing piece by piece...

17" wheel upgrade - I'd prefer 16"s for the potholes in DC
    AWP - YES want the heated seats badly
    fog lights - I'm neutral
    roof rails - useful in a pinch

Thing is, the gunmetal 17"s are the best looking wheels on any Impreza, so I may tolerate the rougher ride just to get them.

Only the upper models have a leather-wrapped steering wheel, cars101 says the base models are vinyl wrapped? Are they actually vinyl wrapped, or are they just plastic steering wheel like any cheap car would have?

Out of curiosity, I looked at Golf TDI prices, and they're $26-28k or so, plus with (much) higher diesel prices locally the fuel costs for the Impreza would surprisingly end up lower.

I'm thinking of a car my daughter could eventually use, when she's of age to drive.
  • Only the upper models have a leather-wrapped steering wheel, cars101 says the base models are vinyl wrapped? Are they actually vinyl wrapped, or are they just plastic steering wheel like any cheap car would have?

From the pictures I've seen of the pre-production units the steering wheel is molded vinyl.

In digging through the packaging options we found that if AWP and an auto transmission are of interest, the Premium and Limited suddenly become very close in price. The Limited seems like a steal after you option the Premium to get close to the Limited in options.

I'm thinking of a car my daughter could eventually use, when she's of age to drive.

That very thing was on our mind when we chose the 2012 Impreza. Our daughter still has many years before turning 16, but we're planning ahead and will likely make the Impreza her first car.

-Ty
    Let's see the crash tests next. Hope it does well in the new more stringent ones.
  • dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567

My daughter already has an Acura TL, so I don't think she'd be enthused about getting a hand me down Impreza. :blush:
    Well, she's still be getting AWD and better gas mileage. ;)
    Juice got it right, Subaru bucks is the main thing. I've had zero out of pocket maintenance costs on my 2003 Forester (currently 146,000).

But, I also confess to irrational brand loyalty---give me a product that is economical and troublefree, and I'll go there again based on the name. It's one of the strange things about Subie owners--"fiercely loyal" is how I've heard it described before.

John
    edited November 2011
    Understood—and I agree.

My point is these two cars are virtually identical, so why not also consider the Toyota/Scion version?

Having said that, I have a reason to consider only the Toyota version: I absolutely believe Subaru should be a 100% AWD brand, at least here in North America. So, if I were to consider this car (unlikely, but you never know...), it would only be the Toyota/Scion version. I won't give my money to SOA for something I feel so strongly against.

Bob
    In my case, I think I can get a better deal at the Subaru dealership than Toyota. The Toyota guys think they are doing you a favor letting you smell their new cars, and they are a pain in the [non-permissible content removed] to negotiate with.

They're both horrible dealerships, honestly, but they have zero competition in town. Actually that's sadly true for most brands here. GM, Ford, and Dodge/Chrysler are the only brands with multiple dealerships.
  • volkovvolkov Member Posts: 1,306
    What about brand disloyalty? Given the choice of buying the same vehicle as a Toyota product versus Subaru, I'll take the Subie. It is quite similar hearing stories from around the Province that most of the Toyo dealerships hold to sticker and will not budge on price - they seriously low ball trade-ins, and management tend to conduct themselves with a certain arrogance about the whole thing that suggests you are being privileged to buy their product.
    Our Subie dealer and staff are the complete opposite - very laid back. None of the sales staff give off the stereotypical car salesman vibe. Half the time when I am in for service, the Manager will invite my into the office to chat for a minute or two about cars or life. I know lots of other Subie owners and they all have the same feel for the experience. I think that is why the dealership remains successful.
    edited November 2011
    I think for the first couple of years, getting a good price will be difficult, regardless of which brand you choose, as they're making so few BRZ/GT86 cars. The demand will be great initially. In fact I expect ADMs will be common.

Bob
    I think so, too.

I remember when the MR2 was brand new the closest Toyota dealer (Jim Coleman) had a sign that read "Bids start at $30,000". That was a few grand above MSRP.

I'll go to Fitz and use my Subaru Bucks, so I'd pick the Subaru version.
    edited November 2011
    From their global site:

http://www.subaru-global.com/home.html

http://www.subaru-global.com/about/motorshow/ms/2011tokyo/atc/index.html

http://www.subaru-global.com/about/motorshow/ms/2011tokyo/brz/index.html

The Advanced Hybrid Tourer Concept supposedly hints at where the next-gen Legacy and Outback are headed.

Bob
    The ATC looks pretty good! It looks very similar to the Impreza concept, which mostly carried through to production but unfortunately lost some of the aggressiveness.
  • rblnrrblnr Member Posts: 124
    Like it and hope it survives recognizably.

Wonder how they'd 'Outback' it for the crowd that's concerned with backcountry/offroad -- seems a more cosmopolitan design.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    The ATC concepts looks great but we won't get in America because we don't buy wagons.

I think the next Outback may grow into a true 7 seater and the Forester is what will be left to fill in for the current Outback.
    That's exactly what surprised me - the ATC looks smaller, more hatch-like, less like a wagon. I also think the Outback should grow to differentiate itself more from the Forester. They overlap too much right now.

Subaru cannot just sell 8 different compact-to-mid wagons. The XV, Forester, Outback, and this all serve the same customers!
    Yeah, barely looks like a wagon, and don't see how they wouldn't sell it here. And I see now that it's quite a bit shorter than the Outback.

But yeah, that's a lot of hatches and wagons. Wonder how Subaru sees their lineup in 2014+
    should we be seeing some comprehensive reviews soon?
    I think so...hope so.
    This Australian link is hinting that Toyota may be considering another sports car above the the 86/BRZ (think neo Supra) that could also be developed with Subaru.

http://smh.drive.com.au/motor-news/toyota-considers-supra-revival-20111202-1o9pi- .html

So maybe a 3.6 or so H6 sports car?

Bob
    Bye-bye AWD?

I just hope Subaru figures out a way to get AWD on theirs this time.
    not going to fit...engine too low and too far back.

I think I've gotten over the lack of AWD...I just think of it as a quasi mid-engine sports car. Take it as it is, a nice set of wheels...

John
    I mean on this Supra...may need AWD to match the GT-R with launch control.
  • asdf9asdf9 Member Posts: 26
    I agree! So invest in some damn good snow tires till the AWD version comes out right subaru? See I live in New England and would like to drive it year round. Very very nice I do say. Now I can kind of feel like James Bond.
    No fault bonus. I'll run with those last 3 words for the AWD.
  • bpizzutibpizzuti Member Posts: 2,743
    Debating waiting for this or jumping on an Impreza in Feb or March. Might have to stop by their NADA booth, see if they bring an XV with them.
    Not surprisingly, 2012 Impreza is a top-safety pick.