Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,559
    stickguy said:

stickguy said:

I’m not changing any time soon. Wife wanted no part or replacing her car and that was more of. Space thing. I’ll reorganize the garage this weekend and see if I can fit both.

My car only if I traded out for a hybrid and that depends on whether I can trade the old one in for top dollar.

If it’s any consolation, salt covered cars rust slower if kept outside in cold weather.
    Going to be harder up here, but my method is never take the car out in salt. Avoids the problem. And usually I have the winter car if it has to go. Not sure which that is now! Also debating getting snow tires for the RDX.
    A lot of people use Blizzak tires for winter here. I only used snow tires on RWD cars like my Mark VIII which was my winter car for years. Mostly you can get by with all-seasons unless you’re going to the ski slopes. One thing NY does well is clear the roads.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

henryn said:

au1994 said:

corvette said:

The Audi made it slightly over three weeks in my care before having an electrical gremlin. The MMI is stuck on this screen and I have no backup cam or infotainment. I’m going to restart it in a bit and check for codes with the BlueDriver.

If the restart doesn’t work. is there a fuse you can pull? Disconnecting the battery is probably a PITA.
    The early model Ford Sync systems would often go nuts requiring a hard reset. A "hard reset" meant either disconnecting the battery cable or pulling the fuse. I got so fed up with it that I was going to install a switch under the dash to do the job, but instead I just traded off the truck.
    My son’s 2010 Fusion had what must have been an early SYNC system. After a few false starts he was able to pair his phone successfully and can now listen to music from his phone as well as make call through the car speakers. I was surprised they even had that back then.

I’ve got SYNC on my own Ford and Apple Car Play /Android Auto on the Kia but I have no use for either even if I could pair them to my TracPhone.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,433

@oldfarmer50 said:
    A lot of people use Blizzak tires for winter here. I only used snow tires on RWD cars like my Mark VIII which was my winter car for years. Mostly you can get by with all-seasons unless you’re going to the ski slopes. One thing NY does well is clear the roads.

Thanks. We also have flexibility to just stay home when snowy since don’t have commutes. I know that for a few winters my son ran the stock all season tires on his G70 and they were pretty low profile. The RDX with AWD should be good enough.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,591
    The M2 is on Pilot Super Sports. I'm will need some all-seasons to put on over the winter months, if I want to drive it at all. Seattle isn't a snow spot, but we'll have plenty of days below 45F, so summer tires are no bueno.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,056
    stickguy said:

@oldfarmer50 said:

Thanks. We also have flexibility to just stay home when snowy since don’t have commutes. I know that for a few winters my son ran the stock all season tires on his G70 and they were pretty low profile. The RDX with AWD should be good enough.

I've lived in Colorado for almost 30 years now, and never have I owned a set of winter tires. The all season tires I've had have been more than adequate for the winter driving we've done. When I was delivering pizzas, I did get stuck a few times, but managed to get unstuck eventually.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    edited September 2022
    tifighter said:

The M2 is on Pilot Super Sports. I'm will need some all-seasons to put on over the winter months, if I want to drive it at all. Seattle isn't a snow spot, but we'll have plenty of days below 45F, so summer tires are no bueno.

There is a fun way or 2 to warm up summer tires on a cold day.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    edited September 2022
    So what's the conventional wisdom saying of the reliability of BMW's DCT/SMG transmissions?
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,220

@andres3 said:
    So what's the conventional wisdom saying of the reliability of BMW's DCT/SMG transmissions?

It depends on what model you are looking at

2018 M2's mainly....

henryn said:

au1994 said:

corvette said:

The Audi made it slightly over three weeks in my care before having an electrical gremlin. The MMI is stuck on this screen and I have no backup cam or infotainment. I’m going to restart it in a bit and check for codes with the BlueDriver.

If the restart doesn’t work. is there a fuse you can pull? Disconnecting the battery is probably a PITA.
    The early model Ford Sync systems would often go nuts requiring a hard reset. A "hard reset" meant either disconnecting the battery cable or pulling the fuse. I got so fed up with it that I was going to install a switch under the dash to do the job, but instead I just traded off the truck.
    My son’s 2010 Fusion had what must have been an early SYNC system. After a few false starts he was able to pair his phone successfully and can now listen to music from his phone as well as make call through the car speakers. I was surprised they even had that back then.

I’ve got SYNC on my own Ford and Apple Car Play /Android Auto on the Kia but I have no use for either even if I could pair them to my TracPhone.
    Best way to solve the center screen issue is this:

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373

Dropped off my wife’s 2022 Highlander for its 10K mile service here at the Toyota Dealership. While waiting for it I have been browsing their still very empty lot. They still have more used cars than new cars, including a 2012 Civic LX with 68K miles listed for $17,895 (+ a $599 doc fee). For those of you who remember (most of you, because for some reason we remember stuff like this), 2012 was the year they redesigned the Civic and cut a lot of costs compared to the previous generation. The 2012s were unloved lot queens and the Civic was promptly redesigned for 2014 (I think).

Next up we have a 2018 Outback 3.6R Limited with 54K miles (dark blue over brown leather) listed for $32,895 (+ a $599 doc fee).

They had a couple of new Corolla LEs on the lot with $22K stickers. Not bad until I wandered over to the Honda dealer and they had a Civic Sport with a $25K sticker that really looks like a lot of car for not much more money.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,056
    nyccarguy said:

Dropped off my wife’s 2022 Highlander for its 10K mile service here at the Toyota Dealership. While waiting for it I have been browsing their still very empty lot. They still have more used cars than new cars, including a 2012 Civic LX with 68K miles listed for $17,895 (+ a $599 doc fee). For those of you who remember (most of you, because for some reason we remember stuff like this), 2012 was the year they redesigned the Civic and cut a lot of costs compared to the previous generation. The 2012s were unloved lot queens and the Civic was promptly redesigned for 2014 (I think).

Next up we have a 2018 Outback 3.6R Limited with 54K miles (dark blue over brown leather) listed for $32,895 (+ a $599 doc fee).

They had a couple of new Corolla LEs on the lot with $22K stickers. Not bad until I wandered over to the Honda dealer and they had a Civic Sport with a $25K sticker that really looks like a lot of car for not much more money.

Makes me wonder how much my 2015 Outback with 52,000 miles is worth.

Also curious how much of a markup there is on that civic.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,024
    nyccarguy said:

They still have more used cars than new cars, including a 2012 Civic LX with 68K miles listed for $17,895 (+ a $599 doc fee). For those of you who remember (most of you, because for some reason we remember stuff like this), 2012 was the year they redesigned the Civic and cut a lot of costs compared to the previous generation. The 2012s were unloved lot queens and the Civic was promptly redesigned for 2014 (I think).

Heresy! At the time of its debut both the automotive press and the numerous Honda fanbois heralded its avant-garde design and proclaimed it far beyond anything else in the class. It took years for the truth to seep out, and even then, it only did so grudgingly once the replacements arrived.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,849

@ab348 said:
    I know some people love alarmist conspiracy theories, but this one really doesn’t hold up. Manufacturers have massive investments in fixed assets that they need to be productive in order to pay for them. If they do not, the markets will begin to punish their stock price.

I agree 100%. Regardless of how much the dealers are enjoying this the manufacturers are not.

Inventory will rise and prices will fall.

Remember how hard furniture was to get in 2021? Now the big furniture stores are flooded with inventory and cancelling containers. They were also looking to sell their container space on ships (already reserved) to other retailers. This is 100% first hand information, not hearsay.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

@Michaell said:
    Makes me wonder how much my 2015 Outback with 52,000 miles is worth.

Also curious how much of a markup there is on that civic.

In addition, they had (2) CPO Toyotas on the lot with single digit miles. 1 was a 2022 White Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab w/ a 6-Speed manual. 2nd was a 2022 4Runner Limited. I’ll fish for the links later after dinner.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

tjc78 said:

@ab348 said:

I know some people love alarmist conspiracy theories, but this one really doesn’t hold up. Manufacturers have massive investments in fixed assets that they need to be productive in order to pay for them. If they do not, the markets will begin to punish their stock price.

I agree 100%. Regardless of how much the dealers are enjoying this the manufacturers are not.

Inventory will rise and prices will fall.

Remember how hard furniture was to get in 2021? Now the big furniture stores are flooded with inventory and cancelling containers. They were also looking to sell their container space on ships (already reserved) to other retailers. This is 100% first hand information, not hearsay.

interesting. we just ordered a new sectional last weekend. We were looking for the last month and hearing absurd wait times for a custom order (really just something they dpn't normally stock). 7-10 months for some brands. the one we settled on a couple weeks ago they were talking about 12 weeks. when we placed the order they were down to 7-8 weeks (very nice since that gets it in before Thanksgiving!)

@qbrozen - I know yours is a base ‘21, but hopefully it won’t depreciate like this 2018 Limited I saw at the local Honda dealership

Here’s the Civic I was telling you about. Looks like they’ve lowered the price drastically: https://www.toyotaofstamford.com/all-inventory/index.htm?compositeType=used&make=Honda&model=Civic

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,236
    edited September 2022
    nyccarguy said:

Looks like they’ve lowered the price drastically...

And it still seems insanely high despite the low miles... splitting rubber on that window seal, as well.
    nyccarguy said:
    I know that Stamford is a pretty wealthy area but are they serious?

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312

@oldfarmer50 said:

My 2009 Clubman and my son’s 2009 328i both have no issues with BT phone pairing, but you do have to connect the phone via USB to play music.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312

@andres3 said:

The DCT boxes tend to be durable. My SA advises to change the oil and filter at 40k mile intervals as is done in Europe; like the ZF 8HP, the oil is not a lifetime fill- no matter what BMWNA claims.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    National Emerald Aisle

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

@kyfdx - drooling! Is that Mexico Blue or Miami Blue? I think some guy in town here has a Turbo S Cab in that color. It’s to die for gorgeous.

nyccarguy said:

@kyfdx - drooling! Is that Mexico Blue or Miami Blue? I think some guy in town here has a Turbo S Cab in that color. It’s to die for gorgeous.

I didn’t actually rent that. That’s at the hotel valet. I got a Kia K5. :D

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

@kyfdx where are you? Sounds fancy.
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,934
    What are your impressions of the K-5?

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,220
    edited September 2022

@andres3 said:
    2018 M2's mainly....

Those DCT have been pretty reliable. Definitely change the transmission fluid as @roadburner recommends.

The early SMG on M3 and the M5. - not so much

edited September 2022
    corvette said:

Current rental

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

sda said:

Not bad. Peppy, good visibility. Wireless Apple CarPlay

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    nyccarguy said:

@qbrozen - I know yours is a base ‘21, but hopefully it won’t depreciate like this 2018 Limited I saw at the local Honda dealership

what are we talkin bout? WRX?
    I'm not worried. Cheapest 2018+ within 100 miles of me (that isn't a branded title) is $19,999 ... with 114k miles! That's a Limited. Then a few base 2018s with 80k-90k miles for $22k. Yeah, I feel good about a new '21 for $29k.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

qbrozen said:

nyccarguy said:

what are we talkin bout? WRX?
    I'm not worried. Cheapest 2018+ within 100 miles of me (that isn't a branded title) is $19,999 ... with 114k miles! That's a Limited. Then a few base 2018s with 80k-90k miles for $22k. Yeah, I feel good about a new '21 for $29k.
    Yes. Your WRX. I meant to say hopefully your base WRX WILL depreciate very slowly as this 2018 Limited did.

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,460
    sda said:

————————————————
    I’ll bet it ain’t as glowing as that Porsche would be.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    @28firefighter - I saw you posted something the other day about driving all over in your Elantra N with your son. Glad you are both enjoying the car.

pensfan83 said:

I am still looking for something to replace the M235i; I soon will have owned it for 7 years- an eternity in this company.

I've now had the Prelude 4 years, longest I've owned a car since my Mazda 6.
    The Prelude has that effect on people. There was some kind of North East Prelude Meetup somewhere in Eastern PA this past Saturday.

kyfdx said:

corvette said:

Current rental

4cly. But hey, the top goes down, right?

We’ve got a 5.0 in the airport fleet that I got to drive once. Usually the cleaners “volunteer” to take it over to the airport from the cleaning facility.

kyfdx said:

corvette said:

Current rental

We’ve got a 5.0 in the airport fleet that I got to drive once. Usually the cleaners “volunteer” to take it over to the airport from the cleaning facility.
    300 HP+. It's no slouch. It was that or a Malibu.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,849
    edited September 2022

@stickguy said:
    interesting. we just ordered a new sectional last weekend. We were looking for the last month and hearing absurd wait times for a custom order (really just something they dpn't normally stock). 7-10 months for some brands. the one we settled on a couple weeks ago they were talking about 12 weeks. when we placed the order they were down to 7-8 weeks (very nice since that gets it in before Thanksgiving!)

Thats pre-pandemic timing for custom order. When we bought a ton of furniture in 2020 they really didn’t even have the bandwidth to do custom stuff. Everything was normal “in-stock” units that you had to wait to come into inventory. I think Raymour and Flanagan delivered stuff six different times to our house.

Bob’s furniture where we got our theater room stuff was pretty brutal as well.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

edited September 2022

Ford outdoing themselves. They never seem to learn. Details on maverick 2022 order rollovers came out and it is going to be a fiasco. Unlike with other models they are not doing anything to keep the original order date from 2022 in place to prioritize those orders. Dealers will just put them back in as brand new 2023 ones and are supposed to internally (at dealer level) mark them a higher priority.

Based on how screwed up most dealers were so far it’s a given that they will screw this up too and people waiting for most of a year (like me) will be lumped in with all the new 2023 orders being dumped in at the same time tomorrow.

At least my dealer knows what they are doing but I would be surprised if I see my order (originally placed 10/30/2021) before next Easter. If it arrives at all.

stickguy said:

Ford outdoing themselves. They never seem to learn. Details on maverick 2022 order rollovers came out and it is going to be a fiasco. Unlike with other models they are not doing anything to keep the original order date from 2022 in place to prioritize those orders. Dealers will just put them back in as brand new 2023 ones and are supposed to internally (at dealer level) mark them a higher priority.

Based on how screwed up most dealers were so far it’s a given that they will screw this up too and people waiting for most of a year (like me) will be lumped in with all the new 2023 orders being dumped in at the same time tomorrow.

At least my dealer knows what they are doing but I would be surprised if I see my order (originally placed 10/30/2021) before next Easter. If it arrives at all.

Not good news at all for @corvette

@stickguy - what a mess. I thought order banks only opened tomorrow for rolled over 2022 orders, and everyone else could order on the 30th?

@nyccarguy - thankfully, I have a VIN, mine will be built as a 2022. Supposedly the week of October 10.

edited September 2022
    kyfdx said:

kyfdx said:

corvette said:

Current rental

300 HP+. It's no slouch. It was that or a Malibu.
    It’s only lacking in comparison to it’s big brother. It’s amazing that a 4cyl. Is putting out the same hp. that the 8cyl. was producing only a few years ago.

For reference my convertible only has 168hp.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,250
    Here is some 22/23 Maverick info that I found.

CARRYOVER 2022MY CUSTOMERS
    As previously mentioned, global supply chain constraints left many COVP-approved Maverick retail orders unscheduled for 2022MY. We recognize the importance of taking care of these customers and are announcing the 2023MY Maverick Transition Customer Satisfaction Private Offer Program (#38560) – for full offer details and elibility, please see EFC10883.

These retail orders will not be automatically carried over to the 2023MY Maverick order bank so it is critical that dealers follow the 2023MY Maverick Order Conversion Process to take care of these customers. Do not cancel unscheduled 2022MY retail orders in WBDO or the COVP website as we will be using these orders to determine qualification for the private offer.

2023MY Maverick Order Conversion Process

Utilize SmartVINCENT to verify customer eligibility and private offer value (Program #38560):
    Eligible customers that ordered a 2022MY Maverick 2.5L Hybrid – $2,750
    Eligible customers that ordered a 2022MY Maverick 2.0L EcoBoost Gas – $1,750
    Contact affected customers to notify them of the status of their 2022MY retail order, their 2023MY Maverick private offer eligibility, and interest in placing a replacement Maverick retail order
    Enter a NEW 2023MY Maverick retail order for the customer
    Dealer will need to appropriately layer their Retail Order Bank (retail orders can be placed between priority 10 and 19), but we ask that carryover customers receive the highest priority, followed by new retail order customers.
    WHAT’S NEW FOR 2023MY MAVERICK
    In addition to the recent and exciting announcement of the Tremor Off-Road Package, there are a number of important updates for 2023MY – this includes changes to some of our optional packages helping to limit exposure to ongoing supply chain constraints.

Feature Offering Updates
    Standard Cruise Control on XL
    Voice-Activated Touchscreen Navigation included with SYNC 3 (available in Lariat Luxury Pkg)
    New Packages
    Tremor Off-Road Package (available on XLT and Lariat)
    Tremor Appearance Package (requires Tremor Off-Road Pkg)
    Black Appearance Package (available on XLT and Lariat)
    Co-Pilot360 Assist Package (available when equipped with Lariat Luxury Pkg)
    XLT Luxury Package Changes
    Drop-In Bedliner and Bed Tie-Down Rails removed and offered as free-standing options
    Remote Start removed and offered as free-standing option (requires XLT Luxury Pkg)
    Lariat Luxury Package Changes
    Spray-In Bedliner and Bed Tie-Down Rails removed and offered as free-standing options
    Remote Start removed and offered as free-standing option (requires Lariat Luxury Pkg)
    Adaptive Cruise Control, Evasive Steer Assist, & Rear Parking Sensors moved to Co-Pilot360 Assist Package
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    That’s pretty much it. Sadly many dealers proved they could not read or follow directions. It’s going to get messy for many customers. I’d be irate if I waited 11 months (oh wait, I have!) and the dealer just plopped me in behind a bunch of new orders to just keep waiting.

One interesting thing, a fair number of orders won’t get renewed. Many people (including Corvette?) ordered at multiple dealers. If they already got a truck at one, might not reorder a second one.

It’s going to be a free for all.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,024
    It sounds like there is a cash incentive if you get your order rescheduled as a 2023 model?

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

edited September 2022

I believe the cash incentive is how they are implementing price protection, so that implies a $2,750 MSRP bump for hybrids and a $1,750 bump for EcoBoost models. I am a little annoyed that they are making cruise standard on the XL and my 2022 won’t come with it, but I’d be more annoyed by getting pushed to a 2023 model.

I only have the one order through Granger Ford and they have announced they do not plan to accept new retail orders until they figure out how their converted 2022 orders will fit with their allocations. I am still thinking of submitting a new hybrid order. @stickguy - do you know which dealers are planning to take new 2023 orders? Long-McArthur? Chapman?