Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    corvette said:

I believe the cash incentive is how they are implementing price protection, so that implies a $2,750 MSRP bump for hybrids and a $1,750 bump for EcoBoost models. I am a little annoyed that they are making cruise standard on the XL and my 2022 won’t come with it, but I’d be more annoyed by getting pushed to a 2023 model.

I only have the one order through Granger Ford and they have announced they do not plan to accept new retail orders until they figure out how their converted 2022 orders will fit with their allocations. I am still thinking of submitting a new hybrid order. @stickguy - do you know which dealers are planning to take new 2023 orders? Long-McArthur? Chapman?

A LOT of people had issues with Chapman when it they custom ordered a Wrangler 4Xe. I'd be careful with them. I think @qbrozen bought one of his through Chapman.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,439
    Mine came from Chapman. No issues.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

Long mcarthur will take new orders. I’m sure they all are.

Since you are all wondering, I did return my wife's Highlander to her with a full tank of fuel, with the interior and exterior washed, as well as fully serviced:)-

She did remember to plug in my Wrangler when she got home.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    I got a 4xe and a TRX through Chapman. A little sticky, but worked out fine. I've also ordered the Wagoneer there.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200

kyfdx said:

kyfdx said:

corvette said:

@kyfdx where are you? Sounds fancy.

Current rental

4cly. But hey, the top goes down, right?

We’ve got a 5.0 in the airport fleet that I got to drive once. Usually the cleaners “volunteer” to take it over to the airport from the cleaning facility.
    300 HP+. It's no slouch. It was that or a Malibu.
    It’s only lacking in comparison to it’s big brother. It’s amazing that a 4cyl. Is putting out the same hp. that the 8cyl. was producing only a few years ago.

For reference my convertible only has 168hp.
    I followed a rental GT up a long windy road for about 15 minutes, yesterday. We both had the top down, and at 25 MPH, he wasn't having any more fun than me. Even the 4 cylinder is not good on gas, though

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

I did just confirm my 2022 order did not get scheduled. So I will get my $2,750 private offer and go down the 2023 rabbit hole! But at least I’m upgrading to a lariat now.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    One part I didn't copy mentioned a short 2023MY order window.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    Probably will get back on normal model year cutover schedule. This year was abnormal

Also likely to cut off order banks much earlier. And just build dealer stock at the end to avoid having rollover orders

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,237

The dealers will love that—much better to have stock on the lot that they can mark up for customers who are desperate.

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,562
    edited September 2022
    kyfdx said:

kyfdx said:

kyfdx said:

corvette said:

@kyfdx where are you? Sounds fancy.

Current rental

4cly. But hey, the top goes down, right?

We’ve got a 5.0 in the airport fleet that I got to drive once. Usually the cleaners “volunteer” to take it over to the airport from the cleaning facility.
    300 HP+. It's no slouch. It was that or a Malibu.
    It’s only lacking in comparison to it’s big brother. It’s amazing that a 4cyl. Is putting out the same hp. that the 8cyl. was producing only a few years ago.

For reference my convertible only has 168hp.
    I followed a rental GT up a long windy road for about 15 minutes, yesterday. We both had the top down, and at 25 MPH, he wasn't having any more fun than me. Even the 4 cylinder is not good on gas, though
    That’s what I’ve always said about convertibles, the only thing that matters is that the top goes down. I actually wouldn’t enjoy driving with the top down doing 100 or carving 1G+ turns. Convertibles are meant for cruising.

I’m surprised you didn’t get good mileage. Even the miled up rentals I’ve driven get high 20s over the long term and I doubt anybody was taking it easy. I would think low 30s would be doable on the highway.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

Retail price drops finally coming soon?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VOkltPhAJs

The steady drop in wholesale prices was documented well. And interesting info on floor plan calls happening, along with more no sales at the auctions.

Cars are going to eventually pile up someplace. Either auction or retail lots. Which has to finally lead to prices coming down to get units moved and cash flow happening.

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    Judging by just looking while driving by on the freeway, Carmax has the only full lots. All of the new car dealerships are really barren looking.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    Carmax is most definitely high on crack:
    https://www.carmax.com/car/22768515

20% appreciation from new? for an almost 5 year old car?
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    it is a nice one. Just let the market speak. if it rots on the lot, the price will come down.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,031
    Today when I went to Enterprise to pick up my rental RAV4, right next door is a Ford dealer. For the first time in ages, their lot appeared to be pretty much filled with lots of new inventory. Mostly pickups, but of course that is Ford’s main thing these days.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

stickguy said:

Retail price drops finally coming soon?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VOkltPhAJs

That guy and his son have been predicting price drops for over a year. I’ve kind of lost faith in him although he did predict the skyrocketing of prices that started in June of 2020. Since that’s when I bought my last car I felt like a genius market timer.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,592
    andres3 said:

I paid less for a Comp.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

andres3 said:

This Carvana comp is almost the same as the one I bought for $8150 26 months ago only mine had 20k miles less at the time.

https://www.carvana.com/vehicle/2466882

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,145

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,936
    Parked next to my car in the company parking garage was a white MB E-450 wagon with black and satin wheels. It’s the first one I’ve seen in the wild and imagine it is very similar to @fintail and @breld. Very distinctive and sharp looking car.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

Uh oh.

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,334

@nyccarguy said:
    Apparently my wife’s Highlander wants to identify as a 4Runner:

That’ll buff out.

2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
    At first, I thought you meant the cross bars on the roof rack, then I saw... ugh, how did that happen? I remember when I was a kid, seeing one of my mother's coworkers get in her car and turn the key, and her rear window spontaneously shattered.
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,145
    We had the same thing happen to our ‘03 Explorer.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    nyccarguy said:

JB Weld.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,762
    Took me a minute to see that, too. I was thinking, "I.... don't get it." Hahaha.

That's rough! I have lost a couple rear windows, but never spontaneously. It take a lot of pressure to make tempered glass beg for mercy like that.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    edited September 2022
    nyccarguy said:

Well that just sux!

Happened once...on the ill-fated Cadillac CTS. It was winter. Used the remote start to warm it up. After 5 minutes or so, went out to the car to drive away after it warmed up. Shut the driver's door. Entire read window shattered when I shut the door. One of many foibles with the Cadillac.

They tried to explain it, but never could do so with any sort of believability. I think that was the last straw that caused me to file for lemon law procedures.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,031
    Had some appointments today so I got to drive the RAV4 a bit more. I actually like how peppy it is off the line. Getting in and out is easy for me and my non-functional knee. It appears to have good interior room. Steering and handling is actually not as bad as I expected. It handles our potholed/patched roads and the plethora of speed bumps/speed tables/speed cushions (a.k.a. "obstacles") placed on our streets by our anti-vehicle city fathers just fine without even having to slow down, a big plus around here these days.

On the negative side, even though it's not battleship-sized like some others, I still find it bulky. The controls and just the way things work seem utterly non-intuitive and confusing to me as a Toyota newbie. It lacks a handgrip for the drivers armrest which I'm constantly reaching for when I want to close the door (you need to use a vertical grip higher up). I really hate having to use a twist key again, to my surprise, and I miss not having proximity unlocking. Toyota seems quite mean in terms of the things it provides on the base model so I would advise against choosing one of those. I'm pretty sure now that the driveline noise I mentioned is indeed the tires - these are not the OEM ones but some off-brand from China and they make a fast woo-woo kind of sound above 40mph or so.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

edited September 2022
    tifighter said:

andres3 said:

I paid less for a Comp.
    How many miles though? Condition 10 of 10 (assumed with only 2K miles and the photos)?

Hence the crack.

Speaking of cracks and glass.... the Neon Windshield split in half from the roof to the cowl vertically, for no particular reason at all other than lemon.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,936

On my way to work this morning I noticed the Honda dealer finally had some new vehicles on the lot, primarily CR-Vs. The window sticker addendum didn't show a market adjustment just add ons like screen protector, LoJack, etc. for an additional $4800. Nice profit margin, ha.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

edited September 2022
    andres3 said:

tifighter said:

andres3 said:

I paid less for a Comp.
    How many miles though? Condition 10 of 10 (assumed with only 2K miles and the photos)?

I thought we all saw the auction listing by now. 2020. Original owner. It had about 9900 miles. Still under warranty. I bought it for $58.5k.

tifighter said:

andres3 said:

tifighter said:

andres3 said:

I paid less for a Comp.

I thought we all saw the auction listing by now. 2020. Original owner. It had about 9900 miles. Still under warranty. I bought it for $58.5k.
    That's a good deal. I see a '19 with 34K miles listed for $55,900.
    I'm not a fan of the styling of the new Mustang. IMO, this is the second successive generation that has gotten uglier than the previous.
    I bit the bullet and despite Carbon black shortages from Ukraine and Russia driving up tire prices that are spiking due to inflation, I ordered up Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 4's.

Super expensive, but I know I'll get good all-season tires. The cheap tires are no longer cheap, so figured why not. This is for the S4. It will now be a snow car.

@stickguy - I'm not sure whether you've seen the 2023 price list yet, but my reading of it is that Co-Pilot 360 Assist is only $100 more than the regular Co-Pilot package, and appears to be offered on all trim levels. I think Assist may include radar cruise with full start-stop capability, but I'm not sure. Seems awfully cheap, although I think the constraints are that they only plan on building 20% with Assist and something like 40% with regular CP360. (If you can't tell, I'm still thinking about putting in a new order for a 2023 hybrid.)
  • pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,538

@nyccarguy said:
    My son was on the front lawn throwing a ball up in the air and trying to hit it. He said he threw the ball up and "it went foul," over his head and behind him and smashed right through the back window. I'd rather him smash the car window by accident playing outside than spending time in the basement playing x box.

Oy, been there.

This happened right before Vroom picked up the truck. A wayward baseball of course, a couple more feet and I would have been getting a new windshield.

1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
    sda said:

On my way to work this morning I noticed the Honda dealer finally had some new vehicles on the lot, primarily CR-Vs. The window sticker addendum didn't show a market adjustment just add ons like screen protector, LoJack, etc. for an additional $4800. Nice profit margin, ha.

Every time I hear or read this I'm appreciative that both stores where we've bought a combined 4 cars since 2017 charge MSRP with no add-ons. There's also a Honda store part of a local dealer group that was willing to sell a '22 Civic Si at MSRP and only included $150 all weather mats.

Now used pricing at any store, along with willingness to consider anything other than the listed price, leaves a lot to be desired but that's everywhere though hopefully not for very much longer.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
    pensfan83 said:

sda said:

Every time I hear or read this I'm appreciative that both stores where we've bought a combined 4 cars since 2017 charge MSRP with no add-ons. There's also a Honda store part of a local dealer group that was willing to sell a '22 Civic Si at MSRP and only included $150 all weather mats.

Now used pricing at any store, along with willingness to consider anything other than the listed price, leaves a lot to be desired but that's everywhere though hopefully not for very much longer.
    A Civic Si at sticker is a really good deal right now. What color is it? You inquired or they have it listed on their website? I saw a Black one yesterday evening on my way home. They did a good job with it. At sticker, it is damn near close to $10K cheaper than an Integra with the 6MT.

corvette said:

@stickguy - I'm not sure whether you've seen the 2023 price list yet, but my reading of it is that Co-Pilot 360 Assist is only $100 more than the regular Co-Pilot package, and appears to be offered on all trim levels. I think Assist may include radar cruise with full start-stop capability, but I'm not sure. Seems awfully cheap, although I think the constraints are that they only plan on building 20% with Assist and something like 40% with regular CP360. (If you can't tell, I'm still thinking about putting in a new order for a 2023 hybrid.)

I saw the price list. That doesn't include constraints and limitations though. There are a lot of options listed that only can be had on certain trim levels, or need other packages first (or are included in a package). The order guide will have all that.

one thing I am not sure of is on the co-pilot. Assist is only available on the Lariat luxury model. But it is unclear if you have to buy both packages to get what is in the assist. I would pay $100 for ACC but not sure about $750. I hope it is just the $750 package getting you everything!

hopefully the order guide comes out later today and someone posts it on the forum. And I can get confirmation from my dealer tomorrow they had all the instructions and got my order put in. then hope they actually do something to prioritize the rollovers but I am not counting on that.

nyccarguy said:

pensfan83 said:

sda said:

A Civic Si at sticker is a really good deal right now. What color is it? You inquired or they have it listed on their website? I saw a Black one yesterday evening on my way home. They did a good job with it. At sticker, it is damn near close to $10K cheaper than an Integra with the 6MT.
    I am taking the RDX in for service tomorrow and hope they have an Integra to look at while I am waiting. And doubly hope it is a manual! But an Si would be tempting, though I still want the much nicer seats in the Acura.

maybe they will trade even up on a 6MT Integra for the RDX. That would be quite the surprise for the wife if I came home with one of those instead!

nyccarguy said:

pensfan83 said:

sda said:

I inquired about allocation when we were there looking at Passports for my parents. The one they had coming in was white and wasn't spoken for. I'd prefer Sonic Gray, Blue, or even Blazing Orange so I passed.
    stickguy said:

one thing I am not sure of is on the co-pilot. Assist is only available on the Lariat luxury model. But it is unclear if you have to buy both packages to get what is in the assist. I would pay $100 for ACC but not sure about $750. I hope it is just the $750 package getting you everything!

Interesting. I'm also awaiting an actual order guide since it should better specify which options require other options. I also thought there was a paint color besides Hot Pepper Red which was an upcharge, but they've changed some of the colors for 2023. I did hear that they plan to give the dealers one week notice before closing the order banks.