Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,537
    corvette said:

stickguy said:

one thing I am not sure of is on the co-pilot. Assist is only available on the Lariat luxury model. But it is unclear if you have to buy both packages to get what is in the assist. I would pay $100 for ACC but not sure about $750. I hope it is just the $750 package getting you everything!

Interesting. I'm also awaiting an actual order guide since it should better specify which options require other options. I also thought there was a paint color besides Hot Pepper Red which was an upcharge, but they've changed some of the colors for 2023. I did hear that they plan to give the dealers one week notice before closing the order banks.
    Atos blue (the dark one that my wife wanted) was also an extra charge color. That might have gone away. Not sure if orange cost extra or not for 2022.

I just want confirmation that my dealer got the order in and gets me my private order sheet. once the full order bank details are know they can tweak the specific order

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,425

@tifighter said:
    Blues you can use.

Nice!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

@pensfan83 said:
    I inquired about allocation when we were there looking at Passports for my parents. The one they had coming in was white and wasn't spoken for. I'd prefer Sonic Gray, Blue, or even Blazing Orange so I passed.

The Blue, Black, & Red would be my top color choices. The White is nice, I just don’t love it!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,555
    edited September 2022

@nyccarguy said:

@pensfan83 said:
    I inquired about allocation when we were there looking at Passports for my parents. The one they had coming in was white and wasn't spoken for. I'd prefer Sonic Gray, Blue, or even Blazing Orange so I passed.

The Blue, Black, & Red would be my top color choices. The White is nice, I just don’t love it!

This was on the lot at Acura when I was there in July. Tempting.

1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535
    pensfan83 said:

Curious if your parents got a Passport. I've been curious about them for a while and probably should go drive one.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,793
    andres3 said:

I bit the bullet and despite Carbon black shortages from Ukraine and Russia driving up tire prices that are spiking due to inflation, I ordered up Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 4's.

Super expensive, but I know I'll get good all-season tires. The cheap tires are no longer cheap, so figured why not. This is for the S4. It will now be a snow car.

Sounds like you had it easy!

I just bought three new sets of tires. Ouchies.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,195

@pensfan83 said:

@nyccarguy said:

@pensfan83 said:

A TLX might be tempting if I get the $9k that Carvana put on the 13 Jetta but I know my better half would never agree to cat vomit gold.

2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2021 VW TIguan SE 4Motion
  • henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    edited September 2022
    Supposedly the order banks for the 2023 Maverick were scheduled to open up today, September 15. The best I can tell, that has not happened.

https://www.ford.com/support/how-tos/owner-resources/sales-support/2023-maverick-retail-order-faqs/

2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,265
    @stickguy - looks like the CP360 Assist package requires Lariat Lux and requires and is $750 in addition to the basic CP360 package. Includes ACC, evasive steering assist, and rear sonar:
    https://imgur.com/a/aeI4acF

IMO, were it not for supply chain issues, Lariat should have at least the basic CP360 package standard--I'm assuming most of Ford's other higher trim level vehicles do?
    most lower level trims do. It should really be standard on every Maverick.

for $750 not sure I would pony up just to get the ACC.

and it did open. Someone on MTC posted a copy of their order confirmation Email.

I just emailed the internet guy at my dealer asking if they got my order in and for a copy of my private order. Hopefully it all gets in by tomorrow and I get the confirm from Ford. Then just have to hope the dealer actually does something to prioritize, though I am still not expecting to see the hybrid before Easter regardless of how they do it.

ab348 said:

ronsteve said:

A TLX might be tempting if I get the $9k that Carvana put on the 13 Jetta but I know my better half would never agree to cat vomit gold.

Huh, that’s one of the few colors I would like. Beats black, gray, silver and white for me.
    I like that gold too, but I am partial to unique colors like that.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,314
    @stickguy,
    Make sure your order is priority 10.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,652
    By an odd coincidence I was delivering a 2020 Mustang turbo to a dealer today and I remembered kyfdx saying he thought they didn’t get good gas mileage. On a hundred mile trip it averaged 31mpg. Not bad but I’ve seen better.

While there I asked the sales manager how I could go about ordering a 2024 Mustang and he said “don’t show up until summer of 2023 to put in your order.”

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

@pensfan83 - I think the TLX Type S is gorgeous. I love the wheels they went with for 2023.

@ronsteve - The cat vomit gold is definitely an acquired taste. I have seen it on the TLX Type S & The MDX Type S. It looks better on the car than it does in the press photos.

@stickguy,
    Make sure your order is priority 10.

I will.

the real problem with this system is that last year, a lot of dealers (mine included) just put all the orders at 10. So unless they change what they are doing all the rollover orders will lose priority. it really is going to be as big a fiasco as 2022 was, and that was bad.

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,265
    I liked the seemingly random commentary directed to the dealers that they need to make sure that their order trim levels and options, in the aggregate, conform to Ford's production constraints and quotas, as if the dealers have an independent way of tracking that.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,046

By an odd coincidence I was delivering a 2020 Mustang turbo to a dealer today and I remembered kyfdx saying he thought they didn’t get good gas mileage. On a hundred mile trip it averaged 31mpg. Not bad but I’ve seen better.

While there I asked the sales manager how I could go about ordering a 2024 Mustang and he said “don’t show up until summer of 2023 to put in your order.”

To be fair, most driving here is in the 25-40 mph range, with a top speed limit of 50 mph. Plus, this unit has 25K miles, and I don't think it is running very well.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

kyfdx said:

To be fair, most driving here is in the 25-40 mph range, with a top speed limit of 50 mph. Plus, this unit has 25K miles, and I don't think it is running very well.
    The car I delivered had 58k miles. Driving was 75% highway with one segment over a mountain. The long term average from previous renters was 22mpg. so I assume even grandma was doing donuts in a parking lot somewhere.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,555
    jpp75 said:

pensfan83 said:

Curious if your parents got a Passport. I've been curious about them for a while and probably should go drive one.
    They did, white over gray interior, Elite trim It replaced my dad's 9.5 year old F-150 and they love it. Having driven one before staying with an Acura I like them myself. Well packaged interior with lots of room and features and everything is screwed together pretty solid. I think it looks much better with the revised front end too.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    mjfloyd1 said:
    Boy…if there’s any car that deserves to keep all analog gauges in big pods in front of the driver, it’s the Mustang. Looks like it’s LCDs, though.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    stickguy said:

nyccarguy said:

pensfan83 said:

sda said:

On my way to work this morning I noticed the Honda dealer finally had some new vehicles on the lot, primarily CR-Vs. The window sticker addendum didn't show a market adjustment just add ons like screen protector, LoJack, etc. for an additional $4800. Nice profit margin, ha.

Every time I hear or read this I'm appreciative that both stores where we've bought a combined 4 cars since 2017 charge MSRP with no add-ons. There's also a Honda store part of a local dealer group that was willing to sell a '22 Civic Si at MSRP and only included $150 all weather mats.

Now used pricing at any store, along with willingness to consider anything other than the listed price, leaves a lot to be desired but that's everywhere though hopefully not for very much longer.
    A Civic Si at sticker is a really good deal right now. What color is it? You inquired or they have it listed on their website? I saw a Black one yesterday evening on my way home. They did a good job with it. At sticker, it is damn near close to $10K cheaper than an Integra with the 6MT.
    I am taking the RDX in for service tomorrow and hope they have an Integra to look at while I am waiting. And doubly hope it is a manual! But an Si would be tempting, though I still want the much nicer seats in the Acura.

maybe they will trade even up on a 6MT Integra for the RDX. That would be quite the surprise for the wife if I came home with one of those instead!
    Do it! LOL!
    ab348 said:

ronsteve said:

Huh, that’s one of the few colors I would like. Beats black, gray, silver and white for me.
    There’s always RED!!!!! ;)

mjfloyd1 said:
    Boy…if there’s any car that deserves to keep all analog gauges in big pods in front of the driver, it’s the Mustang. Looks like it’s LCDs, though.
    I agree but that’s what the young folks want these days. The ironic thing is that is us old farts are the ones who have the (I’m guessing) $50k to buy one properly equipped.

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,940

I am so on the fence with this. Not the exact car pictured below, but this is the correct color. It is a beautiful little car. What's holding me back from bidding? It is an automatic. :(
    Can't decide. I think I may do it. Probably won't win it anyway.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,382
    jpp75 said:

pensfan83 said:

Me too. Its a nice looking package.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,382
    ronsteve said:

@pensfan83 said:

@nyccarguy said:

@pensfan83 said:

I don’t hate it.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

Found an integra on the lot that was unlocked so sat in it. Nice interior and I did appreciate the power seat and wife would like the goodies. It was a cvt. Terrible view out the back though. Worse than my truck. They supposedly have some manuals in stock too but I did not go hunting.

Also had a 2020 civic Si out front. Also unlocked. Seats better than I remembered. Just not enough cushion tilt maybe but would need to drive to decide. Might need to go find a new version and actually drive it but there are not many around.

RDX tires all at 8/32 with 17k on the clock. That does not seem to be too bad. Should get some more years out of them. Especially putting Maybe 4-5k max miles on it per year.

• jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535
    pensfan83 said:

They did, white over gray interior, Elite trim It replaced my dad's 9.5 year old F-150 and they love it. Having driven one before staying with an Acura I like them myself. Well packaged interior with lots of room and features and everything is screwed together pretty solid. I think it looks much better with the revised front end too.

Thanks for the info. Obviously a Passport isn't a direct competitor to the Defender but with my current driving habits I'll be approaching the end of the warranty in 18 months or so and I'm not inclined to keep it out of warranty even though it's one of my favorite cars I've owned.
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,983
    I imagine the RDX has Continental Cross Sports. They are the same as what came on the Q5 and also what I bought when I replaced the tires. They ride well and are a good tire. My SIL has them on the RDX too. She has about 45k on them will probably be replaced in the next 5k.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,604

@qbrozen said:
    I am so on the fence with this. Not the exact car pictured below, but this is the correct color. It is a beautiful little car. What's holding me back from bidding? It is an automatic. :(

A blue Be-1. The Pao’s and Figaro’s older brother. Comically slow, but still cool in my mind. Can’t be many stateside…

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,162
    I vote yes.
    qbrozen said:

OK, I need the voice of experience here.

In the current market if I order a car and want to trade in my current vehicle, how does that work if the time between order and delivery is many months. Does your trade offer remain valid even if you continue driving the trade in or do they prorate any additional mileage you put on while waiting?

Also, can I assume that when I order I will be able to get the car with the exact options and colors that I want? I would think that would be a given seeing that most cars are purchased at MSRP these days.

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,276

@pensfan83 said:

@nyccarguy said:

@pensfan83 said:

I could see someone else driving it…🤣😂

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,940
    edited September 2022

In the current market if I order a car and want to trade in my current vehicle, how does that work if the time between order and delivery is many months. Does your trade offer remain valid even if you continue driving the trade in or do they prorate any additional mileage you put on while waiting?

Also, can I assume that when I order I will be able to get the car with the exact options and colors that I want? I would think that would be a given seeing that most cars are purchased at MSRP these days.

depends on the manufacturer for the order, and depends on the dealer for trade value locking

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    qbrozen said:

depends on the manufacturer for the order, and depends on the dealer for trade value locking
    Roughly 6 months back, I had one of those "private offers" from Ford for $2,500 off the purchase of a new F150. And at that exact moment in time, Ford was offering $2,500 factory incentive, so a total of $5k off on a new F150. Of course, there weren't any new F150's to be had, but I could order one. I talked to two dealers who promised that I could order at MSRP, and that I would get the full $5k off whenever the new truck showed up. I was told that I would get the best incentive package between what was offered at that moment (ordering), and the future delivery date.

As for the trade-in, both dealers said something like "market value at that time". My first inclination was to take the highly inflated cash offer from Carvana for my old truck, order the new truck, and get by without a truck while waiting. The show stopper was that I had no idea (zero, zilch, nada) when that new truck might actually show up.

I waffled for a while, the factory incentive expired, and I dropped the whole idea. I am playing around with the idea of ordering a new Maverick, which may or may not show up in my lifetime. And I may or may not like it when it does, but what do I have to lose?
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
    normally the trade lock has a limited window. Hard to imagine a dealer doing more than a month, if that. so basically you order, wait, and hope for the best. Or a lot of people grab a good offer now and do a straight sale, but then you lose any tax credit.

but you should be able to order anything they offer, exactly how you want it. Of course, if it is Ford, they may never build it due to constraints, but there is plenty of info out there about what those are currently. Ford did grandfather incentives though, where you got the choice between what was offered when you bought or when you ordered (but could not mix and match).

Ordering a new Mustang? Or a Maverick?

back from Acura dealer. RDX got a perfect bill of health so I took it home. Dealers website actually showed 7 Integras but I did not go looking. Other than the one parked outside I saw. I think 3 were manuals, and one of those had pictures taken at the dealer (2 or 3 of the 7 did). White over red. I liked it. Wife would hate it.

starting to think if I did get one of these, it would probably end up being a 3rd car, so saving a bunch of $ and getting an Si would make more sense. Or just stick with the Miata (or BMW Z3/4) plan!

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,557

You > @xwesx said:

Sounds like you had it easy!

I just bought three new sets of tires. Ouchies.

———————————————-
    Yikes, did you cash your insurance policy to do that? :'(

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    fintail said:

I vote yes.

Maybe, but truly a shame that it is an automatic.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    edited September 2022
    jmonroe1 said:

Yikes, did you cash your insurance policy to do that? :'(

jmonroe

Hahah; nearly so! They cost me about $2,600 for the three, and that doesn't include install, which will likely be another $300. I had them sent to Oregon (no sense in paying extra taxes on them) and will get all three sets installed once we get over there.

New warm seasons for the Crosstrek and Q7, and new winter shoes for the Q7.
  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,557
    qbrozen said:

————————————————-
    For your sake it would be best if you fell off the fence. It might just knock some sense into ya. :o

Jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,604

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,162
    It'll just add to the slow charm :)
    xwesx said:

fintail said:

I vote yes.

Maybe, but truly a shame that it is an automatic.
    qbrozen said:

I’m dreaming of that new Mustang and trading my old one in. I figure I might as well be ready when the time comes.

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,355
    edited September 2022

I don’t hate it.

Alfa has a similar color. I kind of like it.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

henryn said:

qbrozen said:

Roughly 6 months back, I had one of those "private offers" from Ford for $2,500 off the purchase of a new F150. And at that exact moment in time, Ford was offering $2,500 factory incentive, so a total of $5k off on a new F150. Of course, there weren't any new F150's to be had, but I could order one. I talked to two dealers who promised that I could order at MSRP, and that I would get the full $5k off whenever the new truck showed up. I was told that I would get the best incentive package between what was offered at that moment (ordering), and the future delivery date.

As for the trade-in, both dealers said something like "market value at that time". My first inclination was to take the highly inflated cash offer from Carvana for my old truck, order the new truck, and get by without a truck while waiting. The show stopper was that I had no idea (zero, zilch, nada) when that new truck might actually show up.

I waffled for a while, the factory incentive expired, and I dropped the whole idea. I am playing around with the idea of ordering a new Maverick, which may or may not show up in my lifetime. And I may or may not like it when it does, but what do I have to lose?
    That’s what I thought. So it might be better to just sell now while the market is hot and lock in a higher value.

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729

henryn said:

qbrozen said:

That’s what I thought. So it might be better to just sell now while the market is hot and lock in a higher value.
    Exactly, sell high, buy low. All it takes is market timing; what's the big deal?
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    Losing a large sales tax credit which will likely eat up much if the savings.