Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Project Cars--You Get to Vote on "Hold 'em or Fold 'em"

Comments

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,131
    I'd be at about the same with my W126 had I kept it. I can't really justify having more than 2 cars though, for storage alone, not to mention running costs and time etc.
    tjc78 said:

Your long ownership with the Fintail makes me kick myself in the rear for ever selling my 89 Town Car. If I still had it ownership would now be at 22 years.

• bhill2bhill2 Member Posts: 2,471
    fintail said:

bhill2 said:

We got 26 years with our '85 380SE, If it hadn't gotten destroyed by one of California's famous fires, we would still have it at 31 years.

You might still need another old MB or something similar. It may not really compare, but it might be soothing. 126s are slowly but steadily appreciating.
    Well, we sure appreciated ours. It turns out that putting the solar system and battery backup in the new house essentially deleted one car worth of capacity from the garage. I'm still tempted, however, that thing had a "carved from a single billet of steel" feeling about it that I have never felt in another car.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

Just build an addition, problem solved!

126s were so ahead of their time at launch, it took the competition nearly a decade to catch up. They are maybe the best mix of a modern and vintage car, timeless classic styling but they don't drive like an antique. For your 380SE, nice presentable driver with no pressing needs should be able to be found for around 10K. For a pampered baby, maybe 20K.
    bhill2 said:

fintail said:

bhill2 said:

We got 26 years with our '85 380SE, If it hadn't gotten destroyed by one of California's famous fires, we would still have it at 31 years.

You might still need another old MB or something similar. It may not really compare, but it might be soothing. 126s are slowly but steadily appreciating.
    Well, we sure appreciated ours. It turns out that putting the solar system and battery backup in the new house essentially deleted one car worth of capacity from the garage. I'm still tempted, however, that thing had a "carved from a single billet of steel" feeling about it that I have never felt in another car.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,923
    Alright, @fintail , I could research this, or I can just go straight to the MB man. What would be your take on a 1995 C200 (Elegance??) with 50k miles and the ABS light on? Obviously not a US car. It has the auto trans and M111 engine.

No, I have NO Idea why the hell I'd ever consider another MB. This would be for my kid.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

qbrozen said:

Alright, @fintail , I could research this, or I can just go straight to the MB man. What would be your take on a 1995 C200 (Elegance??) with 50k miles and the ABS light on? Obviously not a US car. It has the auto trans and M111 engine.

No, I have NO Idea why the hell I'd ever consider another MB. This would be for my kid.

Neat that it's a grey market car. Simple engine, relatively simple car, but one big thing would concern me - wiring harness. That was right in the middle of the problematic years, and I'd want to know it has been changed out (I believe they can be inspected for a date code). W202 can also have underside/suspension rust issues in harsh climates, especially around the "spring perch". I had a W202 many years ago, the now-rare C43.
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,895

@fintail said:
    I'd be at about the same with my W126 had I kept it. I can't really justify having more than 2 cars though, for storage alone, not to mention running costs and time etc.

It will happen for me, but not until the kids are older and I have more time to tinker. I’d also like to be able to drive it around down the shore, but even in the garage there not a good climate for the car. If I wouldn’t have it for the weekends it would never get used.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

fintail said:

Neat that it's a grey market car. Simple engine, relatively simple car, but one big thing would concern me - wiring harness. That was right in the middle of the problematic years, and I'd want to know it has been changed out (I believe they can be inspected for a date code). W202 can also have underside/suspension rust issues in harsh climates, especially around the "spring perch". I had a W202 many years ago, the now-rare C43.

Thanks.
    hmmm... well, it is at auction, so no way to know about the harness. No rust issues reported, and they are usually real sticklers on that. Was the wiring harness related to corrosion? So, if a super clean car, would it be less of a concern?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,671
    I haven't seen it in a couple years now, but my Granddad's old '85 Silverado, that he bought new in the summer of '85, might still be around. I sold it in 2017, to a friend of a friend, and I think I saw it in the background of a facebook pic a few years ago.

Sometimes I regret letting it go, but in my defense, it was getting pretty bad. At this point, I guess my record for length of ownership is the DeSoto. I forget the exact day I bought it, but it was sometime in late September, 1990. So, going on 32 years.

Lemko would have me beat, though. I know he bought his '89 Brougham brand-new, so depending on the exact date, he'd be at 33, maybe even almost 34 years!
  • gsemikegsemike Member Posts: 2,277
    stickguy said:

for sure up here. In HS I bought a Duster. I got it in 1979, and I think it was a '74? but the rear fenders had already rotted off, right up to the center crease. I think the rest of the body was OK though (no clue what the underside looked like though!) I doubt it was lasting another 40 years without massive work.

we pop riveted some sheet metal and primed it white. never bothered to finish up the work (sanding/filling/painting) but it did not look too bad like that!

A guy I know held on to his 340 Duster that was his first car. Sat in the garage for literally 20 years while life was happening. But he did get to it, restored and modded it. Nicest one around these days and he's owned it for over 30 years
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,486

Mine was a slant 6, with a 3 speed on the floor. Wasn’t going to save that.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,635
    andre1969 said:

I haven't seen it in a couple years now, but my Granddad's old '85 Silverado, that he bought new in the summer of '85, might still be around. I sold it in 2017, to a friend of a friend, and I think I saw it in the background of a facebook pic a few years ago.

Sometimes I regret letting it go, but in my defense, it was getting pretty bad. At this point, I guess my record for length of ownership is the DeSoto. I forget the exact day I bought it, but it was sometime in late September, 1990. So, going on 32 years.

Lemko would have me beat, though. I know he bought his '89 Brougham brand-new, so depending on the exact date, he'd be at 33, maybe even almost 34 years!

Didn’t you also have several late 70s New Yorkers? What happened to them?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

I see that Hoovie just picked up a salvage title 2012 CTS-V. I remember seeing one on an old Top Gear show where they took it on an airport runway and got it up to 180 or so.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

Didn’t you also have several late 70s New Yorkers? What happened to them?

I still have them. I bought the first one, a '79 5th Avenue Edition, back in October 2001. The second one, a midnight blue base model, I got back in May of 2007.

Virtually all MBs from ~1992-1996 have a biodegradable wiring harness, something seen as "green" and poorly designed, as they started degrading about 25 years ahead of schedule. Most MBs of that era still on the road have had the harness switched out, but low mileage cars may have dodged it - so far.

Kent Bergsma says not to be afraid, but as someone who doesn't like that kind of work, I am afraid - budget a couple grand for it at least, if not DIY. Or if you are DIY, plan on a project:

https://youtu.be/SG0YdX8uImg

http://www.badmercedes.com/
    qbrozen said:

fintail said:

Thanks.
    hmmm... well, it is at auction, so no way to know about the harness. No rust issues reported, and they are usually real sticklers on that. Was the wiring harness related to corrosion? So, if a super clean car, would it be less of a concern?
    Thanks, fin. I let it go. It is a shame because it sold darned cheap. Right about $1k. With shipping and taxes and fees, I probably would have been into it for about $3500.

If the harness was done, that would be a fine price. Too bad there's no way to find out. I see nice 202s, assumedly with the harness done as they are still on the road and made it this far (let's say 100K mile cars) for maybe 5K.
    qbrozen said:

Thanks, fin. I let it go. It is a shame because it sold darned cheap. Right about $1k. With shipping and taxes and fees, I probably would have been into it for about $3500.

was that one of your JDM specials? Were you really looking to start a teen off on a RHD car?

though I bet that would freak out the driving test person at the DMV!

@stickguy said:
    was that one of your JDM specials? Were you really looking to start a teen off on a RHD car?

though I bet that would freak out the driving test person at the DMV!

I’ve been focusing on LHD models from there for him. Most of the german, swedish, and italian cars there are LHD. Bidding on a Volvo 240 tonight.

sneaky. with the speedo in KM, he will think he is going a lot faster than he really is!

Volvo went for stupid money. Looking into a '84 280SE for tonight's auction.

Oh a W126, and another model never sold new in the USDM (although we did get the W116 and W108 280SE - I think it's the same engine as the W116). Got a link? I know those cars well, be interesting to see how it is equipped.
    qbrozen said:

edited September 2022
    fintail said:

Oh a W126, and another model never sold new in the USDM (although we did get the W116 and W108 280SE - I think it's the same engine as the W116). Got a link? I know those cars well, be interesting to see how it is equipped.

qbrozen said:

No link. You need an account to login. And you won't know the equipment anyway because the pics are very limited. Although .... lemme see if I can do the VIN thing ...

OK, here is what I got. A rather short list. And only 25k miles.

Model 280 SE
    Colour MIDNIGHT BLUE (904U)
    Upholstery (052A)
    420 AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION 4-GEAR
    430 HEADREST IN THE REAR, LEFT AND RIGHT
    440 TEMPOMAT (CRUISE CONTROL)
    498 VERSION FOR JAPAN
    524 PAINTWORK - PRESERVATION
    533 SPEAKERS FRONT AND REAR - WITHOUT RADIO
    543 SUN VISOR WITH MAKE-UP MIRROR L. AND R., BE-
    570 FOLDING ARMREST, FRONT
    592 ALL-ROUND WD-GREEN GLASS,HEATED REAR WINDOW-VSG
    640 15-HOLE LIGHT ALLOY RIMS
    668 PACKAGING FOR SHIPPING VEHICLES WITH TIE-DOWN HOOK
    673 HIGH-CAPACITY BATTERY
    804 AEJ 06/1/M/X
    812 REAR-MOUNTED LOUDSPEAKER

Interesting. I checked via a code list (do you have or want it?), 052A is for "galaxi blue" cloth, I assume cloth rather than velour given the apparent basic spec of the car. I suspect the code for those wheels is an anachronism, as the 15 hole wheels didn't debut until the facelifted 1986 model cars (when the 280SE was discontinued), I bet it is on bundts (or maybe even steel wheels with plastic hubcaps, which are somehow cool to me). I can't find that 804 code either. Cars with really low miles can worry me a little, but if it is sound, that could be something - those cars have a following now.
    qbrozen said:

fintail said:

qbrozen said:

No link. You need an account to login. And you won't know the equipment anyway because the pics are very limited. Although .... lemme see if I can do the VIN thing ...

OK, here is what I got. A rather short list. And only 25k miles.

Model 280 SE
    Colour MIDNIGHT BLUE (904U)
    Upholstery (052A)
    420 AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION 4-GEAR
    430 HEADREST IN THE REAR, LEFT AND RIGHT
    440 TEMPOMAT (CRUISE CONTROL)
    498 VERSION FOR JAPAN
    524 PAINTWORK - PRESERVATION
    533 SPEAKERS FRONT AND REAR - WITHOUT RADIO
    543 SUN VISOR WITH MAKE-UP MIRROR L. AND R., BE-
    570 FOLDING ARMREST, FRONT
    592 ALL-ROUND WD-GREEN GLASS,HEATED REAR WINDOW-VSG
    640 15-HOLE LIGHT ALLOY RIMS
    668 PACKAGING FOR SHIPPING VEHICLES WITH TIE-DOWN HOOK
    673 HIGH-CAPACITY BATTERY
    804 AEJ 06/1/M/X
    812 REAR-MOUNTED LOUDSPEAKER
    edited September 2022
    low miles is very common with JDM vehicles. It is blue cloth.
    Here is a pic of the backseat, at least, and one of the wheels.

someone online had the same question about 804. According to the posts, it is the change year of modification (?). https://www.slkworld.com/threads/data-card-request.578171/

edited September 2022
    That's the standard cloth as expected. Nice color. The 6cyl W126 could also be had with a manual, but I doubt many of those were sold outside of Europe. I stand corrected on the wheels, those were offered first on W201/190E, but not on USDM W126 S-class until the facelift, but apparently could be ordered elsewhere.

Maybe the mystery code has an administrative function. Is there a build date on the decoder? Maybe a very end of year/beginning of year car.
    qbrozen said:

low miles is very common with JDM vehicles. It is blue cloth.
    Here is a pic of the backseat, at least, and one of the wheels.

someone online had the same question about 804. According to the posts, it is the change year of modification (?). https://www.slkworld.com/threads/data-card-request.578171/

nice looking Miata. clean originals are going up in value.

and I have a strange attraction to the Fiat. Though the thought of wedging my wife and me into it and driving around gives me a chuckle. But when I was in middle school, my sister (just out of HS at the time) had a yellow one. her 6'3" BF (future husband) hated it. partly because he was too tall, but mostly because he was the one constantly working on it! I remember I could sit in it and put my fingertips on the driveway with the door closed.

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,961
    My 92 Miata was very similar to the 90. 92 was the last year of the 1.6. Mine was white with those same wheels. Its one of the cars I wouldn’t mind having back. A fun and reliable car.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

I remember back in the early-mid 90s going to look at a used 1990 Miata. the popular blue they had. I remember it had brand new tires! and was family owned in a wealthy town at a big house so they did not cheap out on it. lowish miles. Pretty sure they wanted 10K for it. Probably could get that back for it today!

but a few years into a new house with at least 1 young child at the time, could not quite justify getting it. but it was a lot of fun. and I was a lot more limber in those days.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,071
    Both the GMC Suburban and the Blazer seem like decent vehicles at not-crazy prices.

I remember in 1989 the lease I had on my '85 MR2 was ending and I went to the leasing company office to buy it. The buyout price was crazy low and the owner wanted to keep it to flip himself. He had gotten a new Miata to park out front in that blue color to try to get me into a new lease with it. I normally like blue but I didn't care for that shade and wasn't interested in it anyway, so I wrote the check for the buyout and left in my MR2.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

First year Miata was offered in non-metallic red, white and blue. Base, A and B packages. My 92 had the A package. Alloys, PS , am/fm cassette, optional a/c. B included pw, cc, headrest speakers. At the time I wish mine had cc as I drove to the mountains and Greenville, SC several times which was a 2hr drive and cc. would have been nice.

This was my Miata, 92, 5sp. I bought it in 97 w/42K mi. It was my weekend fun car. My primary car was a 96 Mazda Millenia L, with Bose and cold weather package. I removed the sunroof deflector soon after this picture was taken. I thought it messed up the clean profile of the car.

The pics of that '59 New Yorker are, umm, interesting. If you're going to pull out some old photos and snap them with your phone, wouldn't it be just as easy to go out and take NEW pics of the car?!
    andre1969 said:

The pics of that '59 New Yorker are, umm, interesting. If you're going to pull out some old photos and snap them with your phone, wouldn't it be just as easy to go out and take NEW pics of the car?!

Maybe he’s “selling it for a friend”.

• texasestexases Member Posts: 10,700
    Or 'it looks like hell'...
    I hope everyone in hurricane territory has made it through safe and sound. There will be some project cars created by the disaster, in looking at reports of the destruction, I found this sad sight:

And a couple of possible survivors:

Such a shame. They really got pounded down there

edited September 2022
    Another one in the news:

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,071
    Why would cars like that Superbird and whatever the newer supercar is be parked outside?

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,896
    ab348 said:

Why would cars like that Superbird and whatever the newer supercar is be parked outside?

Who says they were?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

This storm is not going to help with the shortage of cars for sale. Though probably saved caravans and carmax from taking some big losses.

Michaell said:

ab348 said:

Who says they were?
    Yep, the McClaren (and a Rolls parked next to it) escaped from the garage they were parked in:
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topstories/mcclaren-owner-who-boasted-about-1-000-000-supply-car-watches-it-float-off/ar-AA12pydJ?ocid=entnewsntp&pc=U531&cvid=1e78bcb5988146ba899e55d28e69517c
    Here's what became of the Rolls-Royce:

Beware of used cars from FL for the next many months.

Not just FL. Myrtle Beach flooded too, so I’d imagine any SC coastal area.

@qbrozen said:

Your place ok?

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,527
    qbrozen said:

It seems that Hilton Head/Savannah came through it, okay. Also, most of the OBX in NC managed to miss a lot of it, as it headed NW and inland. But, the top 2/3 of SC, and the bottom 1/3 of NC coastline had some major surge and flooding. Plus a foot of rain.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

@fintail said:
    I hope everyone in hurricane territory has made it through safe and sound. There will be some project cars created by the disaster, in looking at reports of the destruction, I found this sad sight:

And a couple of possible survivors:

Here is the guy talking about this. So sad

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTRmXvB5r/

those don't actually look too bad (well, the orange one probably has a rumpled roof). but definitely will get fixed.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,293
    Weird that the orange one was painted on the bottom.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert