Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,936
    I like that the carpet is red as well and not black. I don't like what Honda and Acura is doing by not having the backseat material covering match the front.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    edited September 2022
    I see Maverick's pretty regularly, although see many more Bronco's and Bronco Sport's.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,190
    Thanks @stickguy...

I see Maverick's pretty regularly, although see many more Bronco's and Bronco Sport's.

I see the Bronco variants semi-regularly, but very rarely do I see a Maverick. And that's in a town with two Ford assembly plants.
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2013 VW Jetta 2.5SE
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,852

@explorerx4 said:

I see at least triple the amount of Broncos/Sports to Mavericks.

If you think about it, Ford released two really cool products and couldn’t capitalize on it due to the supply chain stuff. In regular times there would be Mavs and Broncos everywhere.

Sorry I don’t really count the Sport because in essence that’s just an Escape with different styling (more or less looks like an updated older Escape in my mind).

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

Thanks @stickguy... local dealer group has a 19 Tech with 25K at $28,7... thing is that it is at one of their sister stores almost an hour away. I'm surprised they don't have it at the Acura store here, but maybe I could convince them to transfer it in. Looks like they only have V6 cars on their lot right now.

At first glance the price is not stellar, but then when you take into account Carvana offering over 9 on our 13 Jetta, it starts to look good. Could be tempting instead to replace the RDX with a 3rd-generation one, but the Jetta would be getting pretty old by the time we pay that off.

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,118
    ronsteve said:

Thanks @stickguy... local dealer group has a 19 Tech with 25K at $28,7... thing is that it is at one of their sister stores almost an hour away. I'm surprised they don't have it at the Acura store here, but maybe I could convince them to transfer it in. Looks like they only have V6 cars on their lot right now.

At first glance the price is not stellar, but then when you take into account Carvana offering over 9 on our 13 Jetta, it starts to look good. Could be tempting instead to replace the RDX with a 3rd-generation one, but the Jetta would be getting pretty old by the time we pay that off.

I remember when off-lease TLX's could be had for $20-25K all day long before this recent unpleasantness set in.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

I walked 4 car lots this morning. CarMax has stratospheric pricing. The Cadillac lot wanted $21k for a rode hard put up wet 17 Accord EXL with 65k. It was black on black. Paint scuffs, scratches, burn poop burns all over the car. I cringed. Honda has price addendums amounting to $4.8k on all their vehicles. VW seemed a bit more reasonable with $1k markup except a few with a $3k markup and about $900 in widow tint, paint sealant.

I saw this while out.

• carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    sda said:

I saw this while out.

Beautiful car despite the spindle grill.

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289

One of the guys at work got a Maverick because of something like that. Someone had ordered one, put down a deposit and then immediately tried to flip it before it was even delivered. The dealer caught wind of this and canceled the order. They then took delivery, slapped a $2k ADM on it and sold it themselves.

Actually, in this market, a $2k ADM sounds downright reasonable. I would be quite interested, provided I could get a test drive and find out if I fit in it and liked it.

I have so far seen exactly two Mavericks in the real world.

2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891

@sda said:
    I saw this while out.

I like the shape but really hate that all the lights have running mascara

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

edited September 2022
    Michaell said:

ronsteve said:

I remember when off-lease TLX's could be had for $20-25K all day long before this recent unpleasantness set in.
    Good point... though at that time I would think our Jetta was probably a $5k trade, maybe 6 on a good day. So the delta might be a little bigger than a normal market, but just how much?
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373

@sda said:
    I walked 4 car lots this morning. CarMax has stratospheric pricing. The Cadillac lot wanted $21k for a rode hard put up wet 17 Accord EXL with 65k. It was black on black. Paint scuffs, scratches, burn poop burns all over the car. I cringed. Honda has price addendums amounting to $4.8k on all their vehicles. VW seemed a bit more reasonable with $1k markup except a few with a $3k markup and about $900 in widow tint, paint sealant.

While walking the Honda lot while our Highlander was in for service last week, every single used Honda on their lot had a scratch, scuff, & curbed wheels.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,237
    @nyccarguy - I've noticed before that it seems like dealers have stopped doing any sort of reconditioning because they don't have to in this market.
    ab348 said:

One would think that if Ford was producing Mavericks in any volume over the last few months that there would be sightings of them as they reached buyers, but that still seems to be a very rare thing. Are they actually making very many?

2022 production appears to be around 110,000-120,000, based on my mid October build having a VIN of 108,xxx. I passed an XL with Florida plates on the interstate this weekend. It appeared to be a FWD EcoBoost or debadged (no AWD or hybrid stickers on the tailgate).
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    That Lexus is a lot of money for a Japanese Mustang GT. :)
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • tommister2tommister2 Member Posts: 393
    edited September 2022
    All this talk about the Ford Maverick convinced me to take a shot at getting a 2023. Maybe I will get lucky? Sent a message to my local dealer, will see what they say about putting me on the list on Monday. My son and I went to put eyeballs on 2 used ones this afternoon. Do not see many in our daily adventures around here.

Had to update my signature too - it's been a while!
    2011 Toyota Camry, 2014 Jeep Wrangler, 2017 Honda Civic Coupe, 2019 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XSE, 2021 Toyota Tundra, 2022 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Tesla Model 3
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,439
    I see Mavericks on a fairly regular basis. sometimes a few in quick succession. There is also another one living in my new neighborhood.

Not sure how many got delivered, but Ford is producing about 100-110K for 2022. That includes Canada and some that went to south America. So, not surprising that you don't see them everywhere!

They maybe could have produced more without supply constraints, but not too many. They share the plant in Mexico with the Bronco sport (not sure if anything else is made there) and from what I read they are pretty much maxing out production down there. And if they try to make more Mavericks (parts willing) they have to cut back on sports.

part of the issue is, Ford seems to have way underestimated demand for this. Or they knew but by then were committed to just that plant so they never had a hope of making as many as they could sell. and that won't change even if the parts pipeline suddenly opens back up fully. Maybe they can run 24/7 if they aren't already and make 150k? Even though based on 2022 demand they probably could have sold 250k if they could have made them.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

All this talk about the Ford Maverick convinced me to take a shot at getting a 2023. Maybe I will get lucky? Sent a message to my local dealer, will see what they say about putting me on the list on Monday. My son and I went to put eyeballs on 2 used ones this afternoon. Do not see many in our daily adventures around here.

good luck. make sure you get a signed buyers order, get commitment to MSRP in writing, and get the confirm email from Ford!

Just watched the Bengals march down to tie the Cowboys late. warms my heart to see that!

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,097
    Locally I wouldn't be surprised if there's a 10:1 Bronco to Maverick ratio, at least in areas where I drive. However, this area is also one where every dad who makes a bi-annual Home Depot run and has a 20x50 lawn absolutely needs a full sized crew cab 4x4. I see quite a few Rangers though, so maybe that's the acceptable size.
    Broncos have been out longer. Not sure how many they have made, but I am sure it must be more than the Maverick. but part of it I bet is the Bronco is way more noticeable. A Maverick could drive by and not really register.

@stickguy said:
    A Maverick could drive by and not really register.

Other than to those of us who are waiting on one, lol.

want me to send you a daily picture of mine?

I did check today. up to about 4,500 miles on mine, and mileage so far is at 28mpg. I think that is really impressive for something this size and useful. A real efficient swiss army knife! if needed I could live with it as our only car.

My last tank in the Q5 was about 26-27 MPG, with a fair amount of city driving, which I thought was impressive.

My sister took their new (to them) XC40 to our hometown this weekend - roughly 180 miles, each way.

I asked her what kind of mileage they are getting - she reported back about 24 MPG, and that's in "Eco" mode.

The car has over 16,000 miles on it, so I'm sure it's broken in. Not sure what to expect.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    I'm taking the 2er on a short getaway this week. So far it's averaging 34 mpg on the interstate- as long as I keep it below 80. I sure don't want anything much bigger or heavier; I can only hope I can find a coupe that fits the mission profile.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    @sda @JustinS just bought an LC 500. Traded his Santa Cruz for it.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,953
    Wife & daughter have the A3 up in Orlando for the next few days and naturally, something happened as she called me about 7:45 tonight. Seems the front lights are having an issue, the ring around the headlights isn't on anymore and there's some kind of icon showing on the dash. Still waiting for her to take a pic of it & get it to my smartphone. Said she'll stop by the Orlando Audi store either Wednesday or Thursday for them to give it a look see. Her classes end sometime on Wednesday and since they are planning for a few days of relaxation after that, figure she'll stop by Audi though it cold wait till she gets home. The oil icon went on last week, which usually happens when we take it up there for some reason, so she stopped by our local Audi store to have them top it off. Not sure where the extra oil goes but has been doing this since day one of ownership.
    Has been a decent vehicle except for this strange issue and now is just not the time to be buying something new. She's got just under 78K on the clock now and was hoping to keep it another few years if possible, it turning eight on December 1st. Not really sure she's given any thought on what she wants next but thinking another A3 won't be on her short list. Would love to see her in a Honda Civic Touring or a Hyundai Elantra N-line or even a Kia Forte as I know she's definitely ready for the long term reliability those models bring plus the longer warranty of the Korean models. Bet she'd even consider an Accent like our one daughter has but she'd need to get a 2022 as it's being discontinued after this years model.
    But, will have to wait & see what the issue is this time. Probably a good thing they're on a mini vacation this week as I'm still home in bed mostly, suffering from the vertigo again. I was supposed to go with them but didn't feel safe doing any driving at all, so stayed put at home. No work & therapy starts tomorrow afternoon.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

Has the A3 really been that unreliable? I don't recall too many issues with it that have left anyone stranded. Niggling issues, sure, but you'll likely see that with any car as the miles accumulate.

The daughter's MINI Countryman has cost us about $2800 in repairs and maintenance since the beginning of 2021. It, too, is 8+ years old with about 55,000 miles on it. About half of that number covered a new set of tires and a new battery.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,762
    andres3 said:

I got quoted $600 to fix curb rash on 4 wheels; opted not to since the S4 isn't a show car, but a drive car.

Looks to me like it's the family car! :D

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250

That sig line is looking a bit like @qbrozen's! Tommister's Used Cars. :smiley:
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    kyfdx said:

@sda @JustinS just bought an LC 500. Traded his Santa Cruz for it.

Wow; that's not a big change or anything!
    Awww, no pictures of the red interior?

That is a great looking car.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312

@Michaell said:
    Has the A3 really been that unreliable? I don't recall too many issues with it that have left anyone stranded. Niggling issues, sure, but you'll likely see that with any car as the miles accumulate.

The daughter's MINI Countryman has cost us about $2800 in repairs and maintenance since the beginning of 2021. It, too, is 8+ years old with about 55,000 miles on it. About half of that number covered a new set of tires and a new battery.

Our Clubman hasn’t been that problematic either- even considering that it has the N12 motor. The latest issues(A/C and O2 faults) were caused by the shop(s) used by the previous owner- improperly routed hoses and cables. I’ll always take an entertaining car with minor issues over an anodyne appliance- no matter how reliable it may be.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,031
    Michaell said:

Awww, no pictures of the red interior?

That is a great looking car.

It really is handsome despite the oversized grille, but that works better here than on other models from Lexus. I love the Lexus Atomic Silver paint.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

@JustinS said:
    I loved the Santa Cruz (had it just shy of a year and put 12,500 miles on it). But I found this 2019 LC 500 with only 1,100 miles on it in the exact color combination I've dreamed of owning, so I wanted to take advantage of the higher-than-normal trade value of the Hyundai to get into this.

It's been a blast to own so far. I had it ceramic coated a week after getting it.

Beautiful

Pretty big departure from a mini pickup to that. Of course this is coming from someone who just went from an S60 to a Ram.

@xwesx said:
    That sig line is looking a bit like @qbrozen's! Tommister's Used Cars. :smiley:

My “excuse” is that we have 5 drivers in the house right now, so we need two spare vehicles just to make sure there is always something for someone to use. Yeah, that makes sense…

2011 Toyota Camry, 2014 Jeep Wrangler, 2017 Honda Civic Coupe, 2019 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XSE, 2021 Toyota Tundra, 2022 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Tesla Model 3

@Michaell said:
    My sister took their new (to them) XC40 to our hometown this weekend - roughly 180 miles, each way.

I asked her what kind of mileage they are getting - she reported back about 24 MPG, and that's in "Eco" mode.

The car has over 16,000 miles on it, so I'm sure it's broken in. Not sure what to expect.

Seems a touch low. Our XC90 with the T6 is at a 21.9 average since new and hasn’t crossed 13K yet. That’s probably a 50/50 mix of driving with my heavy foot

edited September 2022

@stickguy I heard from my dealer today and confirmed MSRP. Will stop in this afternoon to submit order. Thanks for your tips.

We decided to skip the frequently constrained Maverick items. The only one I really want is copilot 360 but in the end I will leave that box unchecked if that means my order is more likely to be built.

We went through a similar challenge when ordering the Tesla. Would be nice to submit a rank choice order where you select 2 colors, some optional options, etc. and maybe get your vehicle quicker. Eventually someone will do that.

tjc78 said:

@Michaell said:

Seems a touch low. Our XC90 with the T6 is at a 21.9 average since new and hasn’t crossed 13K yet. That’s probably a 50/50 mix of driving with my heavy foot

I was sort of thinking the same thing. My sister and BIL share the car during the week, and they each have a roughly 15-20 minute commute on I-15 (where they likely might see @andres3 speeding past in the S4). So, perhaps more highway than in town mileage.

The trip this weekend was likely done with a fair amount of LA traffic.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

I would order CP. would not want the truck without it.

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891

My “excuse” is that we have 5 drivers in the house right now, so we need two spare vehicles just to make sure there is always something for someone to use. Yeah, that makes sense…

That is very important. When one is in the shop, you don't want to have to pay for a rental, right? Wife's Volvo just went in for bodywork today. She can't drive the WRX, and she is scared to drive the Charger, so she still has the Fiat to tool around in, unless she needs to get groceries or carry more than 1 passenger, in which case she has the Sprinter. Bullet dodged! ;b

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Having an extra car does come in handy. Especially since loaners are scarce. Very easy to have my wife meet me somewhere in the evening and do a night drop. My wife can always drive the other car and I could theoretically spend some time with my beloved Prelude. Alas the Prelude is not currently road worthy. So I'll either make and appointment and wait or rent.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

qbrozen said:

That is very important. When one is in the shop, you don't want to have to pay for a rental, right? Wife's Volvo just went in for bodywork today. She can't drive the WRX, and she is scared to drive the Charger, so she still has the Fiat to tool around in, unless she needs to get groceries or carry more than 1 passenger, in which case she has the Sprinter. Bullet dodged! ;b
    Something I consider as my ride on the leasing merry go round might eventually come to an end. As much as I romanticize about a Civic Si, Elantra N, WRX, or an Integra with a 6-Speed as my daily driver, my wife does need to drive my car occasionally. I can't justify having 2 cars in a fleet of 3 that have 3 pedals.

I’m surprised we lasted more than a year with one car. Could likely do it again here, since I don’t think my wife has driven since the day we moved in so at least 6 weeks at this point. At least that way she can’t get lost (and she is sure she will).

So getting a manual for my would not really matter. She could still drive one in a pinch, since she knows how and DD’d one form many years. But the stick car is more likely to be a toy 3rd car.