Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,923
    nyccarguy said:

Something I consider as my ride on the leasing merry go round might eventually come to an end. As much as I romanticize about a Civic Si, Elantra N, WRX, or an Integra with a 6-Speed as my daily driver, my wife does need to drive my car occasionally. I can't justify having 2 cars in a fleet of 3 that have 3 pedals.

I used to worry about that, but I'm kind of over it. If she can't be bothered to learn, that's her problem. ;)

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,341

@qbrozen said:
    That is very important. When one is in the shop, you don't want to have to pay for a rental, right? Wife's Volvo just went in for bodywork today. She can't drive the WRX, and she is scared to drive the Charger, so she still has the Fiat to tool around in, unless she needs to get groceries or carry more than 1 passenger, in which case she has the Sprinter. Bullet dodged! ;b

Four cars is as low as I’m prepared to go. The plan is to swap both the X1 and Clubman for a CPO Cooper S Clubman All4 in a couple of years.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,603
    nyccarguy said:

Having an extra car does come in handy.

It's a slippery slope.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,896
    Three years now with only the Outback shared between the wife and I. She's driven it probably less than a dozen times; either I drive her or she rides with the daughter in the MINI.

I did test a 2021 V60 CC at the local CarMax last week. White over beige, Momentum trim, Polestar tune on it. 16,000 miles, but a $48K price tag. It's a nice car, but I don't think it had a whole lot of tech that isn't already on the Outback. I did determine that the dog kennel fits in the back, which was something I was concerned about.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,382
    I will remind you, @nyccarguy, that the Elantra N has a very very good DCT. Better than the GTI, WRX, or Integra offerings.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,486
    I think since she doesn’t drive much I should decide what the 2nd car is. But still Not winning the battle about swapping out “her car”.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

stickguy said:

I think since she doesn’t drive much I should decide what the 2nd car is. But still Not winning the battle about swapping out “her car”.

And I'm hoping that, whenever the time comes, I'll get to choose our next car.

Just haven't decided if that will be something fun for me, or a more upscale replacement for the Outback.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

Get yourself something fun. Life’s short. Enjoy it.

And yes that is my elevator speech for when I bring home something ridiculous.

My wife actually does not care what I get but reserves the right to not ride in it. As long as she has her nice car to use. I would just have to take that when we were together if she hated my car.

Good thing she seems to find the ford comfy. Just not happy with lack of XM

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,961

I would have to pry the car away from my wife if I bought a stick. She loves them and had a Nissan 240 SX 5 sp when I met her. She's a keeper.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,533
    JustinS said:

xwesx said:

kyfdx said:

@sda @JustinS just bought an LC 500. Traded his Santa Cruz for it.

Wow; that's not a big change or anything!
    I loved the Santa Cruz (had it just shy of a year and put 12,500 miles on it). But I found this 2019 LC 500 with only 1,100 miles on it in the exact color combination I've dreamed of owning, so I wanted to take advantage of the higher-than-normal trade value of the Hyundai to get into this.

It's been a blast to own so far. I had it ceramic coated a week after getting it.

————————————————
    Wow, that’s a nice looking car alright. I have question for you…I’ve heard that those ceramic coatings are so slick that they can even increase your gas mileage. Have you noticed a bump, or is that just snake oil talk? :o

In any case enjoy it and give us a couple progress updates.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    ab348 said:

Michaell said:

Awww, no pictures of the red interior?

That is a great looking car.

It really is handsome despite the oversized grille, but that works better here than on other models from Lexus. I love the Lexus Atomic Silver paint.
    ————————————————-
    I agree. That Atomic Silver sure beats the hell outta old mans gray. :#

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)

@xwesx said:

That sig line is looking a bit like @qbrozen's! Tommister's Used Cars. :smiley:" alt=":smiley:" height="20" />

My “excuse” is that we have 5 drivers in the house right now, so we need two spare vehicles just to make sure there is always something for someone to use. Yeah, that makes sense…

————————————————-
    Plus, it never hurts to have a rolling spare.

jmonroe
  • pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,553

@nyccarguy said:
    Something I consider as my ride on the leasing merry go round might eventually come to an end. As much as I romanticize about a Civic Si, Elantra N, WRX, or an Integra with a 6-Speed as my daily driver, my wife does need to drive my car occasionally. I can't justify having 2 cars in a fleet of 3 that have 3 pedals.

Thought of you this weekend when I saw this sitting out on the lot. I'm amazed it's around long enough to warrant photographs, unless that "Call for Price" is code for here's a $5K ADM lolz.

https://www.deanhonda.com/auto/new-2022-honda-civic-si-pittsburgh-pa/69496913/

1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,410
    pensfan83 said:

@nyccarguy said:

Thought of you this weekend when I saw this sitting out on the lot. I'm amazed it's around long enough to warrant photographs, unless that "Call for Price" is code for here's a $5K ADM lolz.

Love the Black, but it even looks dirty in the pictures. LOL @ Call for price is code for $5K ADM. Although I don't see an extra sticker next to the Moroney.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,382
    nyccarguy said:

I will remind you, @nyccarguy, that the Elantra N has a very very good DCT. Better than the GTI, WRX, or Integra offerings.

Also remind me that with a good set of winter tires, modern traction control, stability control, as well as ABS, would make the Elantra N an excellent winter car. Now the only question; doe the goalie equipment fit?
    It's got a decent sized trunk but I'm not a sportsball expert, so couldn't tell you for sure what it'll hold.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI

@sda said:
    I would have to pry the car away from my wife if I bought a stick. She loves them and had a Nissan 240 SX 5 sp when I met her. She's a keeper.

So you kept the 240? Did the wife stick around, too? ;b

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

nyccarguy said:

Also remind me that with a good set of winter tires, modern traction control, stability control, as well as ABS, would make the Elantra N an excellent winter car. Now the only question; doe the goalie equipment fit?
    It's got a decent sized trunk but I'm not a sportsball expert, so couldn't tell you for sure what it'll hold.
    I'll have to find out for myself one of these days.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• JustinSJustinS Administrator Posts: 58
    jmonroe1 said:

JustinS said:

xwesx said:

kyfdx said:

I loved the Santa Cruz (had it just shy of a year and put 12,500 miles on it). But I found this 2019 LC 500 with only 1,100 miles on it in the exact color combination I've dreamed of owning, so I wanted to take advantage of the higher-than-normal trade value of the Hyundai to get into this.

It's been a blast to own so far. I had it ceramic coated a week after getting it.

————————————————
    Wow, that’s a nice looking car alright. I have question for you…I’ve heard that those ceramic coatings are so slick that they can even increase your gas mileage. Have you noticed a bump, or is that just snake oil talk? :o

jmonroe
    No change in gas mileage :)
    Edmunds Customer Care
    JustinS said:

jmonroe1 said:

JustinS said:

xwesx said:

kyfdx said:

————————————————

jmonroe
    ————————————————-
    Thanks for confirming what I thought I already knew. Should have know that was just sales talk.

jmonroe
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,635
    pensfan83 said:

@nyccarguy said:

“Call for price” on a new car? Shouldn’t the price be a readily available MSRP? I think you’re right about a $5k ADM. When I see that statement instead of a price I make sure to never call. That’s a store that doesn’t want my business.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

edited September 2022

So you kept the 240? Did the wife stick around, too? ;b

Of all things her house was struck by lightning and her car burned with it. She ended up with a 97 Altima GXE 5sp which she hated. After we married we traded the Altima for a new 99 Passat 1.8t 5sp which she loved. 24 years in Feb.

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,257
    edited September 2022
    I did a thing... I now have an order for a 2023 Maverick XLT FWD hybrid with CoPilot 360 in Hot Pepper Red Metallic. Looks like $26,759 out the door plus whatever price increases Ford decrees before the sticker gets printed.
    corvette said:

I did a thing... I now have an order for a 2023 Maverick XLT FWD with CoPilot 360 in Hot Pepper Red Metallic.

Excellent! Hybrid or 2.0t? Love the color.

Thanks! Hybrid. Edited my earlier post for clarity.

• tommister2tommister2 Member Posts: 393

I have officially ordered a 2023 Maverick too. XLT hybrid in Atlas Blue Metallic. Dealer had 36 orders. Most were Area 51 or cactus grey, although I could only see the first 20 on his screen.

They had percentages on constraint items. He would not let me take a picture but chances are someone has has posted it online somewhere. I know spray in bedliner was 34%.

And now, we wait (or some of you continue to wait).

2011 Toyota Camry, 2014 Jeep Wrangler, 2017 Honda Civic Coupe, 2019 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XSE, 2021 Toyota Tundra, 2022 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Tesla Model 3

@corvette said:
    I did a thing... I now have an order for a 2023 Maverick XLT FWD hybrid with CoPilot 360 in Hot Pepper Red Metallic. Looks like $26,759 out the door plus whatever price increases Ford decrees before the sticker gets printed.

So now you have 2 Mavericks on order?

I will have been waiting for 11 months next week. You get used to it.

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    stickguy said:

I'd rather just get a used car than wait 11 months. Unless I knew it was the perfect and greatest thing.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    stickguy said:

Coming up on 5 months on the ID.4, for us. What's odd is that folks who submitted a reservation after we did are moving forward in the production queue faster than we are. I don't get it.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

well, it sounds worse than it really is, since I have had a "practice" one for the last 9 months. Even better than a filler used car!

• ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,194

@stickguy said:

That’s the problem here too. I haven’t pushed the business case yet, but I put more miles on the Jetta than she does.

She has made a couple of comments about wanting to upgrade but I think she might still be too attached to the Jetta. And right now a 19 TLX is coming in at a similar price point to a new Jetta.

2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2021 VW TIguan SE 4Motion
    Though maybe it is better if this one never shows up. By next summer I can start shopping for something fancier!

I have had both (including my daughters 2019 Jetta that I drove fairly often), The Acura is definitely nicer! though the Jetta was quite roomy and got great MPG too.

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,780
    edited September 2022
    nyccarguy said:

Having an extra car does come in handy. Especially since loaners are scarce. Very easy to have my wife meet me somewhere in the evening and do a night drop. My wife can always drive the other car and I could theoretically spend some time with my beloved Prelude. Alas the Prelude is not currently road worthy. So I'll either make and appointment and wait or rent.

I missed that invite for some wrenching time. :(
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    qbrozen said:

nyccarguy said:

I used to worry about that, but I'm kind of over it. If she can't be bothered to learn, that's her problem. ;)

AMEN, BROTHER! :blush:
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    xwesx said:

nyccarguy said:

Having an extra car does come in handy. Especially since loaners are scarce. Very easy to have my wife meet me somewhere in the evening and do a night drop. My wife can always drive the other car and I could theoretically spend some time with my beloved Prelude. Alas the Prelude is not currently road worthy. So I'll either make and appointment and wait or rent.

————————————————-
    I’m sure if you talk nice he’ll gladly find time for a traveling wrench poster buddy to show up in his driveway. o:)

jmonroe
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    stickguy said:

Future perfect -- gotta love it.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester

@andres3 said:
    I'd rather just get a used car than wait 11 months. Unless I knew it was the perfect and greatest thing.

Of course, you can get a used car WHILE waiting for the new order

xwesx said:

nyccarguy said:

I've got the majority of the parts sitting in my garage on a shelf. You are more than welcome. I don't want anything for free and I am more than willing to pay.

nyccarguy said:

I really like the Black with the Red Trim on the bottom

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    JustinS said:

jmonroe1 said:

JustinS said:

xwesx said:

kyfdx said:

VERYH NICE! Congrats. Count me as someone who would LOVE to see pics on that red interior, too!
    ————————————————

jmonroe
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665

JustinS said:

jmonroe1 said:

JustinS said:

xwesx said:

kyfdx said:

————————————————

jmonroe
    VERY NICE. Big Congrats! Count me as another who would LOVE to see pics of that RED interior!
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    edited September 2022
    nyccarguy said:

xwesx said:

nyccarguy said:

I've got the majority of the parts sitting in my garage on a shelf. You are more than welcome. I don't want anything for free and I am more than willing to pay.
    Ah, man. I'm seriously bummed. We should have discussed it a few weeks ago, and I surely could have fit in the time. At this point, I won't be able to make it because we're leaving in a week, and we have my MIL's celebration of life on Sunday (so my wife has me fully booked from now until then).

However... if you still have those parts stacked up in 11 months.... we're on!
  • JustinSJustinS Administrator Posts: 58

JustinS said:

jmonroe1 said:

JustinS said:

xwesx said:

kyfdx said:

————————————————

jmonroe
    VERY NICE. Big Congrats! Count me as another who would LOVE to see pics of that RED interior!
    Thanks! Here are some interior shots...

Edmunds Customer Care
    edited September 2022
    Mass email from Chapman Ford of Horsham just went out stating they have earned a grand total of 11 Maverick allocations for MY 2023 (despite selling/ordering approximately 300 in MY 2022). The spreadsheet they attached isn't clear, and I'm hoping that's for dealer stock and that customer orders don't count against that.