Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    Understanding more now why importing is such a huge PITA. You'd think there would be clear direction in this process. Right now, I'm stuck in a loop between NJ MVC and the CBP (Customs). CBP, for the past 6 years, only provides an electronic clearance form. MVC insists they don't accept that and need a paper copy stamped by the CBP. I've asked the broker and, so far, they've said go pound sand. I called the main CBP office and they said to contact the local office (90 mins away) or where it came in (Baltimore). Tried Newark and couldn't get anybody on the phone, and they have no email address published that I could find. After some searching, found a direct number in Baltimore. And officer there told me I have to bring the car in. HUH? I asked him a few different ways if he understood this was already cleared and I just need a stamp. He assured me I have to bring the car in. I told him that makes no sense and he dismissed me. I've written another message to the main CBP office begging them for help because their officer in Baltimore doesn't agree with their instructions. Someday I'll figure this out. Not sure if I mentioned before, but I've been documenting everything in a journal for myself so, hopefully, it won't take as long in the future.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    Sounds like you are a newbie that hadn’t figured out the right place to apply paper grease. And why “expediters” can make a lot of money, because they do.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,559
    qbrozen said:

Understanding more now why importing is such a huge PITA. You'd think there would be clear direction in this process. Right now, I'm stuck in a loop between NJ MVC and the CBP (Customs). CBP, for the past 6 years, only provides an electronic clearance form. MVC insists they don't accept that and need a paper copy stamped by the CBP. I've asked the broker and, so far, they've said go pound sand. I called the main CBP office and they said to contact the local office (90 mins away) or where it came in (Baltimore). Tried Newark and couldn't get anybody on the phone, and they have no email address published that I could find. After some searching, found a direct number in Baltimore. And officer there told me I have to bring the car in. HUH? I asked him a few different ways if he understood this was already cleared and I just need a stamp. He assured me I have to bring the car in. I told him that makes no sense and he dismissed me. I've written another message to the main CBP office begging them for help because their officer in Baltimore doesn't agree with their instructions. Someday I'll figure this out. Not sure if I mentioned before, but I've been documenting everything in a journal for myself so, hopefully, it won't take as long in the future.

I’m guess some cash put in the right pocket or a call from a politician would do wonders in resolving the issue.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

I offered the broker payment. They don't seem to care.
    Looking into other solutions. Stay tuned.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,936
    I believe the Eco Sport is on a short leash and is in the process of being discontinued. No huge loss, a crudy vehicle.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,027
    Ford is hugely dependent upon the F-series trucks. They sell something in excess of 700K F-150s alone each year. If what you find online can be believed, their gross margin on each unit is between $5000 to $10000 each. They better pray gas prices don't spike again. Around here, F-150s are what makes up most of their (growing) dealer inventory. I guess they are hoping that what remains of the demand for small or fuel-efficient vehicles will shift to their electric offerings. I still question their decision along with other manufacturers to get out of building cars as opposed to UVs and trucks.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

They build what sells. If sedan sales hadn’t tanked they would still build them.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,253
    There are current model F150's everywhere around here.
    When I got the Explorer serviced the other day the dealer had about 10 F150's.
    Based on the size of the lot, normal would easily be over 100.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,356
    qbrozen said:

I gotta ask…Is the squeeze worth the juice?

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

au1994 said:

qbrozen said:

I gotta ask…Is the squeeze worth the juice?
    For one? No. I don't think anyone should bother for one personal car. But, once I figure all this out, I hope it will pay off in the long run.

Update: did some digging and googling and managed to find a general seaport inquiry email for Newark. They were pretty quick to respond and said I could just mail them the form, with a postage paid return envelope, and they'll do it.

ab348 said:

Ford is hugely dependent upon the F-series trucks. They sell something in excess of 700K F-150s alone each year. If what you find online can be believed, their gross margin on each unit is between $5000 to $10000 each. They better pray gas prices don't spike again. Around here, F-150s are what makes up most of their (growing) dealer inventory. I guess they are hoping that what remains of the demand for small or fuel-efficient vehicles will shift to their electric offerings. I still question their decision along with other manufacturers to get out of building cars as opposed to UVs and trucks.

I think a lot of manufacturers are going all in on trucks. We have a bunch of F-150s and Rams with a few Silverado’s and Titans in out fleet.

I too lament Ford giving up on sedans. This gas price spike was exactly what I worried about. Maybe you’re right about EV taking up the good mileage slot but many people can’t afford the premium price.

Ford needs a good 40 mpg. Focus type car. I wonder why they can’t import something and slap a Ford badge on it.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729

ab348 said:

I think a lot of manufacturers are going all in on trucks. We have a bunch of F-150s and Rams with a few Silverado’s and Titans in out fleet.

I too lament Ford giving up on sedans. This gas price spike was exactly what I worried about. Maybe you’re right about EV taking up the good mileage slot but many people can’t afford the premium price.

Ford needs a good 40 mpg. Focus type car. I wonder why they can’t import something and slap a Ford badge on it.
    They could always buy Mazda again, but hopefully this time not doom them to the worst V6 in the business.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,236

Ford needs a good 40 mpg. Focus type car.

They have that, it's just that it's called the Escape Hybrid (starting at $30k) or the Maverick Hybrid (starting at $22k-ish and they only plan to build around 35,000 of them next year).
    andres3 said:

ab348 said:

They could always buy Mazda again, but hopefully this time not doom them to the worst V6 in the business.
    What V6 are you bashing?

the 2.5 and 3.0 Duratec Mazda used I assume.

Ford stuck Mazda with the awful AXOD transmissions, so I guess that was an even trade?
    The duratec V6's were designed with input from Porsche.
    We had several and although not smooth, very reliable.
    One we had for almost 13 years. Original plugs, only PCV replaced and one oil leak.
    Another for 90k in 7 years, engine never touched.
    Engines were Ford, trans was Mazda.
    At least in the past I thought Mazda used auto trans from Jatco. I think Jatco made the transmission in my Millenia. Doesn’t Jatco make the CVTs for Nissan?

edited September 2022
    Duratec V6 is quite good. Not sure what engine we're talking about that was "worst in business."

I'd say Ford's worst, that I can recall off the top of my head, was the 4.0 Cologne iron pig. I don't believe Mazda ever used that.

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,498
    edited September 2022
    stickguy said:

Sounds like you are a newbie that hadn’t figured out the right place to apply paper grease. And why “expediters” can make a lot of money, because they do.

That's pretty damn harsh. Coming from me . . .

True nonetheless.

'08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,463
    corvette said:

Ford needs a good 40 mpg. Focus type car.

They have that, it's just that it's called the Escape Hybrid (starting at $30k) or the Maverick Hybrid (starting at $22k-ish and they only plan to build around 35,000 of them next year).
    ————————————————-
    Is that really a plan? The way Ford has been handling the Maverick, that’s more like a dream.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    edited September 2022
    ... moved to cars and conversations, where I intended to post in the first place ...
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
    edited September 2022
    All my cars under warranty only go to the dealer for oil changes and routine service. And usually after that since it’s easier, and often cheaper, than finding a local shop. I also like having them doing all the work in case I ever want a good will repair. And at least I know they have OEM parts and fluids.

Doing it myself is not happening at this point

stickguy said:

All my cars under warranty only go to the dealer for oil changes and routine service. And usually after that since it’s easier, and often cheaper, than finding a local shop. I also like having them doing all the work in case I ever want a good will repair. And at least I know they have OEM parts and fluids.

————————————————-
    I’m pretty sure “good will repairs” are a thing of the past. I guess it never hurts to dream but having a credit card that works is the new norm. :'(

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,758
    I'm still waiting for an update from @qbrozen. Where's that Pajero?!
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,758
    edited September 2022
    So nice! Congrats. That thing looks like someone really pampered it. Heck, even the spare tire was being rotated through, judging by the wear on it.

I'm surprised that it doesn't have any sort of roof rack or rails on it at all. Seems like their absence is more of a modern thing than in days gone by, but perhaps that's more a US norm than other regions.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    andres3 said:

ab348 said:

Which V6 was that?

qbrozen said:

Duratec V6 is quite good. Not sure what engine we're talking about that was "worst in business."

I'd say Ford's worst, that I can recall off the top of my head, was the 4.0 Cologne iron pig. I don't believe Mazda ever used that.

Are you referring to the OHV 4L or the SOHC 4L.

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    edited September 2022
    jmonroe1 said:

stickguy said:

————————————————-
    I’m pretty sure “good will repairs” are a thing of the past. I guess it never hurts to dream but having a credit card that works is the new norm. :'(

jmonroe
    Yes, but this is coming from a guy that couldn't get Hyundai to even honor "standard will repairs" let alone bad will repairs. :wink:
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    qbrozen said:

Cleared up a bit…

————————————————-
    Looks to be rust free on the underside. You better get some spray on rust before @oldfarmer50 finds out where you live. o:)

jmonroe
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    @qbrozen
    Awesome!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

@oldfarmer50 said:

Had the SOHC in mind

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373

@qbrozen - bravo! Congrats!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    Still dealing with vertigo though the physical therapy is helping. Been home alone since Saturday but they left enough food that I'm managing. Saturday will be two weeks I've been out of work and hoping to start back on either Tuesday or Wednesday if possible.
    Go out to go to therapy Monday and car won't start, seems to be the battery. Since the girls took the Audi to Orlando, have the Accent in the garage also, so used that Monday & Tuesday. Called Tires Plus and say even though they no longer carry Interstate batteries, they'll pro-rate it since it's just shy of 2 years old. Go out Wednesday early morning & decide to try starting it one more time before I call roadside &...it started! Ended up costing a bit more this time since battery prices have gone up, $66 dollars, plus labor doubled from $15 to $30 in these last couple of years. Whatever, needed a battery so, we're up & running again. Turns out the battery we got for the Audi a few weeks ago was also $196 and that guy didn't charge anything to swap them out in our garage.
    Speaking of the Audi, headlights are no longer working & it's up in Orlando till tomorrow. There's an icon on on the dash now so I'll see it when it gets home. She has an appointment at the local Audi store for Wednesday but hoping my mechanic will take it in on Monday and fix it. With just 72K on the clock, she'll just have it fixed as she still likes the vehicle & there's really not much out there to buy right now. But I'm thinking that there's going to be a new Kia or Hyundai in the garage by the end of 2024, think she's done with German vehicles.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

qbrozen said:

@oldfarmer50 said:

Had the SOHC in mind

I always thought those had a pretty good reputation in small trucks except for some timing chain guide problems.

nyccarguy said:

My son's 16th birthday is today. He's got an appointment to take his permit test this afternoon after school. I'm very excited!

————————————————
    Until you see what you’re insurance will cost now! :'(

Welcome to the club.

jmonroe

@oldfarmer50 said:
    I always thought those had a pretty good reputation in small trucks except for some timing chain guide problems.

Search around and you’ll find lots of stories. What is interesting is how Ford owners are rarely up in arms when faced with removing the drivetrain to replace an oil pump or even replacing the engine completely. The forums are full of “yup, time to replace the engine” matter-of-fact statements. They just accept it as a part of Ford ownership I guess. Hence maybe why you thought they had a good reputation.

qbrozen said:

@oldfarmer50 said:

Search around and you’ll find lots of stories. What is interesting is how Ford owners are rarely up in arms when faced with removing the drivetrain to replace an oil pump or even replacing the engine completely. The forums are full of “yup, time to replace the engine” matter-of-fact statements. They just accept it as a part of Ford ownership I guess. Hence maybe why you thought they had a good reputation.

I don’t think I would accept replacing an engine as a routine repair.

@qbrozen said:
    What is interesting is how Ford owners are rarely up in arms when faced with removing the drivetrain to replace an oil pump or even replacing the engine completely. The forums are full of “yup, time to replace the engine” matter-of-fact statements.

One of my better troll comments was on a V6 Camaro “show car.” I asked the guy who he got to do his timing chains.

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,851

Interesting thing with the Ram this morning. Went out around 7. It was 52 degrees. Hit the start button it started but failed to rev up and stalled. Pressed the button again and started right up and was fine.

Hope this was a fluke or maybe I didn’t hold the button down quite long enough. I’m sure this was the coldest start ever for it, but a brand new car shouldn’t have any issues starting at 52.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

I see plenty of old Rangers around, so the engine can't be that bad.
    @tjc78, my guess is you didn't hold the button down long enough.
    ..but are they old Range Rovers. No. :)
    edited September 2022
    qbrozen said:

I see lots of Range Rovers around. Just sayin.
    I think the Ford Ranger retains it’s value better though.🤣

https://youtu.be/yZNefv686Is

https://worcester.craigslist.org/ctd/d/worcester-2010-ford-ranger-super-cab/7527793077.html

jmonroe1 said:

qbrozen said:

Cleared up a bit…

————————————————-
    Looks to be rust free on the underside. You better get some spray on rust before @oldfarmer50 finds out where you live. o:)

jmonroe
    I don’t think he lives in the rust belt but if he’s going riding in the snow where they salt it’s not a bad idea to hit it with some Fluid Film.🤑

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,851
    edited September 2022

@explorerx4 said:

I think you may be right.

As for the Rangers. A lot of them were 4cyl models which are pretty much bulletproof if I’m not mistaken.

Also anecdotal but I had a friend who racked up 200K on that 4.0 in an Explorer. The rest of the vehicle fell apart around it but it lived a hard life.

The problem with the 4.0 engine is it has three timing chains and one of them is in the rear of the engine. On 4x4 there is another one for some purpose as well. The timing guides (like many Fords including the 4.6) get worn and noisy eventually causing the chain(s) to fail.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

tjc78 said:

@explorerx4 said:

I think you may be right.

As for the Rangers. A lot of them were 4cyl models which are pretty much bulletproof if I’m not mistaken.

And SLOW! A friend bought a new 89 Ranger XLT standard cab 4cyl, auto, ac, cc. It was a decent truck overall.