Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,056
    tjc78 said:

The problem with the 4.0 engine is it has three timing chains and one of them is in the rear of the engine. On 4x4 there is another one for some purpose as well. The timing guides (like many Fords including the 4.6) get worn and noisy eventually causing the chain(s) to fail.

I guess I should be lucky that we traded in our '03 Explorer with the 4.0 engine before it needed any significant maintenance or repairs done on it.

Actually, it was a lease, and Ford offered to let us out of it early if we bought or leased another Ford product, so we downsized to a Focus 5-door hatchback.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729

qbrozen said:

@oldfarmer50 said:

I always thought those had a pretty good reputation in small trucks except for some timing chain guide problems.

Search around and you’ll find lots of stories. What is interesting is how Ford owners are rarely up in arms when faced with removing the drivetrain to replace an oil pump or even replacing the engine completely. The forums are full of “yup, time to replace the engine” matter-of-fact statements. They just accept it as a part of Ford ownership I guess. Hence maybe why you thought they had a good reputation.

I don’t think I would accept replacing an engine as a routine repair.

I wouldn't either. And I should know now. My tolerance/patience is all used up; just looking for an excuse to jump ship, but alas, the S4 will not give it.... yet..... it's behaving like a Honda/Toyota again.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    tjc78 said:

Interesting thing with the Ram this morning. Went out around 7. It was 52 degrees. Hit the start button it started but failed to rev up and stalled. Pressed the button again and started right up and was fine.

Hope this was a fluke or maybe I didn’t hold the button down quite long enough. I’m sure this was the coldest start ever for it, but a brand new car shouldn’t have any issues starting at 52.

On my 2019 Pacifica with push button start, it doesn't require much of a push. A solid push and release will do the job. But if I just "flick" the button, it will fail to start.

Basically the same thing on my 2013 F150, which is not a push button start. If I turn the key to the start position and immediately release, it will start. I'm talking about the key being in the "start" position for less than a full second. But if I just hit and release, as fast as possible, it will not start.

If I hear the starter engage, it is okay to release the button or key, the car will engage the starter long enough to complete the job.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    edited September 2022
    sda said:

tjc78 said:

@explorerx4 said:

I see plenty of old Rangers around, so the engine can't be that bad.
    @tjc78, my guess is you didn't hold the button down long enough.

I think you may be right.

As for the Rangers. A lot of them were 4cyl models which are pretty much bulletproof if I’m not mistaken.

And SLOW! A friend bought a new 89 Ranger XLT standard cab 4cyl, auto, ac, cc. It was a decent truck overall.

------------------------end quoted material-----------------

My son had a late 80's 4 cylinder Ranger way back when. It was fairly solid, but very slow. He went off to college in the truck, but it didn't last the full 5 years. I had to come rescue him once, the truck wouldn't start. I found a small socket, 3/8 drive, about 1/2 or 9/16, inside the bowl of the carburetor. When I asked him who had been working on the truck, he of course replied, "No one!"

2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,433
    Just finished signing updated order form for my 2023 Hybrid order. Ford just loves confusion. My dealer seemed to have no issue changing from an XLT to a Lariat after the order banks closed, even though the internet swears you can't. But, I upgraded to the luxury package (I just like my goodies) and the Lariat (nicer interior, some extra features, and the wife is very happy to get heated seats and XM). and shook things up going with Atlas blue instead of the same dark gray.

now, I wait again. Hopefully not the almost 11 months I waited for the 2022 hybrid. On a positive note, I will get a 1 model year newer unit, and they will have had a chance to deal with the early unit gremlins.

of course if this drags on I might not get the trade in quote I want on my current one, or have gotten bored and dumped it for something completely different already.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,559
    stickguy said:

Just finished signing updated order form for my 2023 Hybrid order. Ford just loves confusion. My dealer seemed to have no issue changing from an XLT to a Lariat after the order banks closed, even though the internet swears you can't. But, I upgraded to the luxury package (I just like my goodies) and the Lariat (nicer interior, some extra features, and the wife is very happy to get heated seats and XM). and shook things up going with Atlas blue instead of the same dark gray.

now, I wait again. Hopefully not the almost 11 months I waited for the 2022 hybrid. On a positive note, I will get a 1 model year newer unit, and they will have had a chance to deal with the early unit gremlins.

of course if this drags on I might not get the trade in quote I want on my current one, or have gotten bored and dumped it for something completely different already.

Your current Maverick is 4WD, right? Now would be the perfect time to sell it and buy a fun summer car that you can tinker with over the winter. You said you don’t go out much in the winter so having only one other car could work and the seasonal timing could save you some money.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,934
    How many more projects does Mrs Stickguy have that will require use of the Maverick? I agree, could be a good time to go back to one car and have the buyer show you the money!

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

It’s actually FWD. and we do use it as intended sometimes. Probably I could get away without it but I would lose the trade in credit and flexibility of having a spare. Never know, I might need to take my snow blower someplace!

Of course I never bothered to get a quote on it. Intentionally did not want to know. There is also the issue of not actually knowing if the new one ever shows up. Or not until next summer. But I suppose if Carmax will cut me a check tomorrow for $35,000 I would take it!

• ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,190

@sda said:
    And SLOW! A friend bought a new 89 Ranger XLT standard cab 4cyl, auto, ac, cc. It was a decent truck overall.

OMG those were dogs. My ex had a 94 regular cab with the 2.3 and a 5 speed, and even interstate bridges at 75mph were sometimes worthy of a downshift. We drove it from Illinois to Georgia to pick up a bunch of stuff from her folks and the best thing I did in Nashville traffic was put it in 4th and mostly leave it there.

2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2013 VW Jetta 2.5SE
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,333
    stickguy said:

It’s actually FWD. and we do use it as intended sometimes. Probably I could get away without it but I would lose the trade in credit and flexibility of having a spare. Never know, I might need to take my snow blower someplace!

Of course I never bothered to get a quote on it. Intentionally did not want to know. There is also the issue of not actually knowing if the new one ever shows up. Or not until next summer. But I suppose if Carmax will cut me a check tomorrow for $35,000 I would take it!

These trucks are so well priced from the get-go and have such scarce inventory, that a low mileage well optioned one will be very desirable. I think you'll do fine regardless when it come times to flip the current one.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
    I figure I will. plus I got it for a really good price to start with. and it will still be pretty low miles.

The hybrid will be a steal if the current market ($2,000-$5,000 ADMs on the hybrids) is even close to the same at the time it comes in since I would be getting it for ~$4,000 below MSRP.

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,756

I don’t think he lives in the rust belt but if he’s going riding in the snow where they salt it’s not a bad idea to hit it with some Fluid Film.🤑

This is the absolute best metal protector: https://www.amsoil.com/p/heavy-duty-metal-protector-amhsc/

It sprays on as a fluid, but dries to a waxy finish that won't attract a bunch of gunk like the fluid stuff does. It is also extremely durable in terms of resistance to washing off when it is put to work.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    stickguy said:

Okay, so here's what you do:

1. Enjoy the fact that the move is over and just settle in a bit. Winter's coming fast anyway, and it's never any fun moving stuff in the cold.
    2. Put a 2" class-3 hitch on the RDX. Get a cargo tray.
    3. If you need to move the snowthrower or anything else up to and including appliances, you just pop in the tray, put the unit on top, and off you go!
    4. Get the new truck in probably February, and now you really appreciate the convenience of a truck again! :p
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535
    @qbrozen Congrats! The Pajero looks awesome! Remind me how much you paid for it (or have in it with shipping and fees)?
    edited September 2022
    xwesx said:

I don’t think he lives in the rust belt but if he’s going riding in the snow where they salt it’s not a bad idea to hit it with some Fluid Film.🤑

This is the absolute best metal protector: https://www.amsoil.com/p/heavy-duty-metal-protector-amhsc/

It sprays on as a fluid, but dries to a waxy finish that won't attract a bunch of gunk like the fluid stuff does. It is also extremely durable in terms of resistance to washing off when it is put to work.
    You have to be careful of any rust proofing that dries to a solid. Especially on the undercarriage if it gets chipped, water can get underneath it and rust the metal even more. Ziebart used to have (maybe still does) apply a rubberized coating that turned out to be worse than nothing at all. On my one newer car that I use in winter, I sprayed Fluid Film in the doors and rockers. The rest of the undercarriage I use the hose and car wash. Those Cosmoline based products have been in use since WWII so the Amsoil should do a good job. The one plus of Fluid Film is that it won’t chip and will flow to cover spots that you miss. I think the most important thing is to use SOMETHING.

This guy’s shop is in the western part of my state.

https://youtu.be/nXvl9nt57Kg

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,024
    Fluid Film is good stuff, and another good one (dunno if it’s available in the US) is called Corrosion Free. It’s the consistency of liquid hand soap or maybe a bit thicker, and doesn’t drip after it’s applied.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

@qbrozen - I don’t know if you have access to Motor Trend TV streaming or Discovery’s motoring channel, but the latest season of Wheeler Dealers has them making over a ‘91 Pajero (called Shogun in the UK). Yours is the 2nd-gen model I think but they look very similar and the show was interesting.

I will just go with parking in the garage, avoiding driving on salty roads if at all possible, and spray off the undercarriage as often as possible.

that and flip the cars within 5 years (or lease) so it wont matter if they decide to rust.

Finally, an explanation of why Ford is unable to ship vehicles to dealers!

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2022-ford-f-150-pickup-truck-badge-shortage-delay-shipment/

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    jpp75 said:

@qbrozen Congrats! The Pajero looks awesome! Remind me how much you paid for it (or have in it with shipping and fees)?

hmmm... let's see...
    $2600 purchase price
    $3000 slow boat
    $539 ground transport
    $330 import/customs fees/taxes
    $6469 total

I'm not totally done, of course, as there is still NJ MVC to deal with. That will be about $260 for title and state tax. If I want to register it, should be another $200 or so. I'm on track for just south of $7k.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

my wife surprised me tonight. I told her I should get a Boxster instead of a Miata (after she pointed out I did not fit well in the Mazda) and she said sure, go get one. so I sent her a link to a blue over tan used one and her response was "that is pretty".

I am confused....

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    edited September 2022
    Drove home from Williamsburg today, and dealt with all sorts of fun.
    Around Richmond some borderline sentient creature had stopped his Mazda 3 in the center lane with no lights on. The car in front of me(a police car) swerved right and I swerved left, narrowly missing the idiot.
    A couple of hours later I'm in the left lane following a Silverado, which is following a decrepit four wheeled appliance of some sort. On my back bumper is a Wrangler JK. Whe a break in traffic appears on the right he blows the horn, flips me off, and cuts in front of me, where he remains for the next couple of miles until the appliance owner finally pulls into the right lane. I probably would have badged him if my wife wasn't on board.
    Finally, I was followed for some distance by a newer Avalon. It's driver was undoubtedly a hardcore enthusiast as all the trim was blacked out. He finally passed me only to reveal that his LR corner had a softball sized dent. I guess that mod has gone upscale as it used to be confined to the "grounded to the ground" Camry.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

ab348 said:

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2022-ford-f-150-pickup-truck-badge-shortage-delay-shipment/

I find that story highly suspicious. Manufacturers are shipping cars with features missing all the time. Why would a little piece of plastic stop them?

You have to be careful of any rust proofing that dries to a solid. Especially on the undercarriage if it gets chipped, water can get underneath it and rust the metal even more. Ziebart used to have (maybe still does) apply a rubberized coating that turned out to be worse than nothing at all. On my one newer car that I use in winter, I sprayed Fluid Film in the doors and rockers. The rest of the undercarriage I use the hose and car wash. Those Cosmoline based products have been in use since WWII so the Amsoil should do a good job. The one plus of Fluid Film is that it won’t chip and will flow to cover spots that you miss. I think the most important thing is to use SOMETHING.

Yeah, that rubberized stuff is such garbage. The company in NC from which I bought my trailer last year sprayed that crap on the frame (and, as I found out, only on the parts easily seen). This year, on our way out of Alaska, it actually started peeling off in strips. It looked like it was shedding as we were passing through Canada. By the time we were in southern BC about to re-enter the US, most if had shed. So, sorry, Canada, for the mess scattered over a couple thousand miles of your roads! /facepalm
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,934
    xwesx said:

Yeah, that rubberized stuff is such garbage. The company in NC from which I bought my trailer last year sprayed that crap on the frame (and, as I found out, only on the parts easily seen). This year, on our way out of Alaska, it actually started peeling off in strips. It looked like it was shedding as we were passing through Canada. By the time we were in southern BC about to re-enter the US, most if had shed. So, sorry, Canada, for the mess scattered over a couple thousand miles of your roads! /facepalm
    Was rust beginning to start underneath? Could be a blessing so you can nip it in the bud and add your own treatment.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

nyccarguy said:

My son passed his permit test yesterday!

I know it isn't inexpensive, but I highly recommend the 1 or 2 day Teen School at the BMW Performance Center- followed by the 1 day Street Survival course.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

xwesx said:

Seventies BMWs had a hard plasticized undercoat. It would look fine but usually the metal it was allegedly protecting would be almost completely rusted away.

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,849

@nyccarguy said:

That’s awesome!

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,056
    nyccarguy said:

So, what will he drive?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373

@Michaell said:
    So, what will he drive?

Took him out driving for about 40 minutes in a parking lot. Just to get him acquainted. He drove the Highlander.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373

@roadburner said:
    I know it isn't inexpensive, but I highly recommend the 1 or 2 day Teen School at the BMW Performance Center- followed by the 1 day Street Survival course.

I will definitely look into the 1 day Street Survival Course. I do have some companion certificates to use on Delta. Maybe the BMW performance center isn’t such a stretch. What airport do you fly into for that?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,460

ab348 said:

I find that story highly suspicious. Manufacturers are shipping cars with features missing all the time. Why would a little piece of plastic stop them?
    ————————————————-
    I agree. If even a part of that story is true, Ford has problems they’ll never be able to fix. Where does stuff like this start?

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    nyccarguy said:

@roadburner said:

I will definitely look into the 1 day Street Survival Course. I do have some companion certificates to use on Delta. Maybe the BMW performance center isn’t such a stretch. What airport do you fly into for that?

greenville-spartenburg. it is only about 3 miles from the airport.

and greenvile is a really cool town.

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,220
    @roadburner - I hope the rear end M2 pictures are of a prototype or a bad angle

https://g42.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1957015
  • breldbreld Member Posts: 6,698
    mjfloyd1 said:

Well, there goes the hope that the previous gen M2s will take a hit when the new one is released.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

I’ll do you all the favor and get these out of the way…

Well, that will keep her happy for a few weeks….

Didn’t she already have a GLC (or two)?

Are you gonna black out all that trim for the next owner?

What did I miss? :)

nyccarguy said:

@roadburner said:

Greenville–Spartanburg International Airport(GSP).

breld said:

Okay…so…

Wife decided to take advantage of the still-crazy market for the Bronco and get into something more comfortable and useful for her needs. And just like that, we’re a Mercedes couple.

I have to say that I'm tempted by an AMG coupe or sedan; I'd prefer a "real" AMG with a hand built engine. That said, today I had a bit of fun with a CLA 35; it had the AMG exhaust and the driver had it in Race mode. It sounded nice- especially for an inline four.

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889

@breld said:

Is it any different than the other ones she had?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

breld said:

Okay…so…

Wife decided to take advantage of the still-crazy market for the Bronco and get into something more comfortable and useful for her needs. And just like that, we’re a Mercedes couple.

I have to say that I'm tempted by an AMG coupe or sedan; I'd prefer a "real" AMG with a hand built engine. That said, today I had a bit of fun with a CLA 35; it had the AMG exhaust and the driver had it in Race mode. It sounded nice- especially for an inline four.
    With BMW not offering anything new that is worth the upgrade over the M235i, perhaps an AMG would be a fun change.

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    Hoping the headlamp issue will be the last one for awhile in the wife's A3. I had to replace one bulb already, but had them do both just to be in sync. Don't think she'll want to put up with many more issues so can't wait till the current auto situation ends. December will be 8 years of ownership for both of them and hoping there will be no more major issues. All I pray is that we have no more issues for the next year if possible, then she can start to look at replacing hers. She drives more miles than I do now so am thinking that she'll just want to go first which is fine with me honestly. Just don't want anymore drama for awhile!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

My friend in sales at my BMW dealer texted me that they had just received a 2023 M240i xDrive; it was a customer ordered car but she wanted me to check it out prior to delivery. Melbourne Red over Tacora Red leather. It looks better than it sounds as Tacora is a brownish red that doesn't clash with the vivid Melbourne exterior. As I've mentioned before, the instrument binnacle is gone- replaced buy a flat screen that stretches across about two-thirds of the dash. The beer tap shift lever has been replaced by a sliding switch. I'm not especially fond of either change. If you could change the screen layout like you can on some other cars I'd be more receptive. She also told me that they have a M240i in Status 111, which means any thing can be changed-colors, upholstery, options- and RWD cars are now available. She expects it to flip to Status 112 in the next couple of weeks, so time is of the essence. She also said it would be delivered in late November or early December- other dealers told me it would be a six month wait. My wife says to go for it, but I'm still not 100% sold on the idea.

edited September 2022
    mjfloyd1 said:

Probably not; to reduce costs the G87 shares all body panels with the G42 save the front and rear fascias- meaning BMW is going full weird on the M2 front/rear styling to differentiate the two cars.

sda said:

Was rust beginning to start underneath? Could be a blessing so you can nip it in the bud and add your own treatment.

I haven't looked under there since the trip (I left the trailer in Oregon after a long day of driving, so it was just a dump-and-run), but the areas I saw that had flaked away after the initial drive home last year had light surface rust.

I need to take some time to raise it up and take a good look next summer.

breld said:

Hey, no fair! If you're gonna ask 'em, you also gotta answer 'em! :p