Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,304
    The lady at the title office is so nice.
    When she saw the Mustang was a 91, she started talking about some 65k vehicle value cap.
    I had to tell her it's worth about a tenth of that. HA HA.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    What's the prognosis from the Florida folks on the hurricane developing. Son and DIL are going to somewhere in panhandle with her family for a week get together. Son is worried they'll have to fly out early and should change their reservations and shorten their plans.
    It looks to me like the indicators are showing the hurricane cutting onto the west coast and going inland?

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258

@imidazol97 said:
    What's the prognosis from the Florida folks on the hurricane developing. Son and DIL are going to somewhere in panhandle with her family for a week get together. Son is worried they'll have to fly out early and should change their reservations and shorten their plans.
    It looks to me like the indicators are showing the hurricane cutting onto the west coast and going inland?

That’s what the meteorologists are telling us. Supposed to be a CAT 3 as it approaches. We are in the “cone of uncertainty”. But we expect heavy winds and tons of rain no matter where it makes landfall because we will be on the eastern side of the storm which produces the heavy rains with winds.

2021 Genesis G90

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646
    abacomike said:

@oldfarmer50 said:

Virginia and New Hampshire don’t require it according to a quick Google search but I believe that some states might not tie having insurance with ability to register a car as well which allows deadbeats to just ignore the law.

There has to be some consequence for going uninsured. Years ago my son just plain forgot to renew his insurance. He was stopped for something else and the police towed his car and left him walking. He didn’t have any financial consequences because he was broke and had a rich father but hopefully the screaming about me having to cough up over a thousand dollars woke him up.

Speaking about auto insurance, my renewal from Allstate increased so much I had to reduce coverages. I have no accidents, no tickets and I drive about 6000 miles a year. Then I checked with State Farm and I was able to get full coverages for $800 LESS every 6 months. So I cancelled Allstate and went with State Farm.

I carry 250,000/500,000 liability, 100,000 property damage, 100/300 uninsured motorist, 500 deductible comp and collision, rental car reimbursement, towing, $5000 medical, and PIP (personal injury protection- no fault coverage). Allstate wanted $1800 every 6 months and State Farm was $1024. Whew!

Man, your area must be a disaster area. $1800 is about what I pay for equivalent full coverage on my TWO newer cars. The older two cost me about $600 combined for just liability at the same level.

Is it insurance fraud, hurricanes or as driver100 says, just bad drivers?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

ab348 said:

abacomike said:

Got that updated Pfizer vaccination shot for Covid Omicron today. No side effects yet, but I thought it was wise to get it even though I’ve had 2 boosters already.

I’m scheduled for one myself next week except mine will be the Moderna brand.
    That’s assuming you’re around next week. The news is predicting the end of the world for your area. Do you have a bunker for the ATS?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

@oldfarmer50 said:
    Man, your area must be a disaster area. $1800 is about what I pay for equivalent full coverage on my TWO newer cars. The older two cost me about $600 combined for just liability at the same level.

Is it insurance fraud, hurricanes or as driver100 says, just bad drivers?

Major problem is that it is estimated that 20-25 percent of Florida drivers are uninsured.

To register a vehicle in Florida, the owner has to provide proof of insurance in order to get license plates (we call them “tags”). But once the tags are issued, many drivers cancel their insurance policies and only repurchase insurance when renewal time arrives.

Insurance in southeastern Florida is twice the cost of insurance in the northeastern and northwestern parts of the state. Tampa area is also much less than down here.

Also, the cost to repair the technology in cars like mine, Mercedes, BMW, etc. is so high which is why comp and collision rates are increasing at tremendous rates.

2021 Genesis G90

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,081

ab348 said:

abacomike said:

Got that updated Pfizer vaccination shot for Covid Omicron today. No side effects yet, but I thought it was wise to get it even though I’ve had 2 boosters already.

That’s assuming you’re around next week. The news is predicting the end of the world for your area. Do you have a bunker for the ATS?
    Just a little wind, a little rain. The weather forecasters hype machine got stuck in top gear.

ATS is safely tucked away in the garage.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,194

@ab348 said:

I just got the bivalent Moderna on Wednesday, since my one previous booster was on Festivus last year. Milder side effects than the 2nd in the main series in spring 2021, but still enough to eff with my sleep. Less arm soreness than any of them (first was the worst) but it did make itself known when I ran this afternoon.

2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2021 VW TIguan SE 4Motion
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,513
    Mike, that is why you need to shop your insurance every few years. they quote you low to get the business, then jack it up hoping you don't pay attention.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

edited September 2022
    @abacomike,
    Places like the northeast have been subsidizing insurance in places like Florida for decades.
    Analytics is changing that.
  • driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,975
    edited September 2022

ronsteve said:

@oldfarmer50 said:

It’s illegal to deliver pizza in Canada?

I think a lot of insurance carriers, also in the States, won’t cover drivers who are delivering pizza (or probably Doordash or Uber)

Uber and Lyft provide a million in coverage while you’re actually transporting customers. Once you turn off the app it reverts to your own insurance.

But my question to driver100 was why the pizza driver was illegal? No insurance? Undocumented? Or is delivering pizza illegal?

Mitchell could answer the insurance for pizza drivers question.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    REPLY:

He was in the country illegally. A family member let him deliver pizzas under the table....not being in the country legally. It was hard to sue....I think she had to pay for her own repairs.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

sda said:

Same thing with renter's, homeowner's and other types of insurance. They take the chance that it will not be needed but it is. I thought (most) states required the license plate of a vehicle be turned in at the lack or lapse of insurance.

Legally, in my state you turn in the plates at DMV and get a certificate to send to the insurance company before they will drop the insurance. I’m not sure the insurance company is required to notify DMV if you let coverage lapse but considering my son’s case probably not.
    In Ontario Canada you have to show proof of insurance to get a license these days. Many decades ago you could drive without insurance, but you had to pay a few $100 into a compensation fund for victims, but that would never pay enough to make up for a major accident.

ab348 said:

abacomike said:

Yes, an historic storm for Eastern Canada near where Ab lives. I heard 11 to 14 meter surges....that could be 25 ft waves! Lots of rain, wind and power outages. Ab, are you prepared?

I never analyzed exactly what covers what, but I know one of the charges on my insurance policy is for uninsured motorist coverage. I don't skimp on that.

@stickguy said:
    I never analyzed exactly what covers what, but I know one of the charges on my insurance policy is for uninsured motorist coverage. I don't skimp on that.

Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage is for medical expenses, loss of income, pain and suffering, etc., when you are in an auto accident caused by an uninsured or underinsured driver. It does not cover the vehicle damage or property damage - collision coverage and property damage coverage takes care of that.

With so many drivers having no insurance or low coverages for liability (10,000/20,000 for example), you have to have this insurance coverage.

Back in 2001, I was stopped on I-75 due to an accident in front of me. I was rear-ended by a guy doing 70 mph. He carried 10,000/20,000 liability. I was in the hospital for 4 weeks + rehab. My health insurance paid for hospital costs less the $10,000 from his insurance company. My 2001 Lexus GS400 was totaled. My collision coverage covered the loss. But I received almost $100K for pain and suffering, loss of wages, and permanent damage to my back and knee from my uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage.

I got a lawyer to sue the guy, but he had no assets. That’s why I always carry uninsured/underinsured motorist.

2021 Genesis G90

edited September 2022

@driver100 said:
    Yes, an historic storm for Eastern Canada near where Ab lives. I heard 11 to 14 meter surges....that could be 25 ft waves! Lots of rain, wind and power outages. Ab, are you prepared?

Aside from some scattered power outages in the Halifax area (our power goes out when a butterfly flaps its wings) here in the Halifax area where half the population of the province lives it’s been a bit of a dud. Not so much for the folks in Cape Breton who seem to be getting pounded. None of the forecasters had that in their betting pool.

Lesson is to discount most media weather reporting which is always excessively dire, usually inaccurate, and overly hyped.

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    edited September 2022
    abacomike said:

Back in 2001, I was stopped on I-75 due to an accident in front of me. I was rear-ended by a guy doing 70 mph. He carried 10,000/20,000 liability. I was in the hospital for 4 weeks + rehab. My health insurance paid for hospital costs less the $10,000 from his insurance company. My 2001 Lexus GS400 was totaled. My collision coverage covered the loss. But I received almost $100K for pain and suffering, loss of wages, and permanent damage to my back and knee from my uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage.

I got a lawyer to sue the guy, but he had no assets. That’s why I always carry uninsured/underinsured motorist.

Is it possible to attach any future assets the guy may have earned by now? I hate seeing people get by not taking responsibility for their actions.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

abacomike said:

Is it possible to attach any future assets the guy may have earned by now? I hate seeing people get by not taking responsibility for their actions.

Just an opinion, but I doubt it. The law seems to not punish people over time as it may make them give up trying to support themselves and/or their family. If he has to pay off a huge debt he may decide to stop working or he might hide and take up a new identity somewhere. Also, he'll give up and the government won't collect taxes from him...may end up in prison and it will cost them even more.

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,543
    driver100 said:

abacomike said:

Just an opinion, but I doubt it. The law seems to not punish people over time as it may make them give up trying to support themselves and/or their family. If he has to pay off a huge debt he may decide to stop working or he might hide and take up a new identity somewhere. Also, he'll give up and the government won't collect taxes from him...may end up in prison and it will cost them even more.
    ————————————————-
    I know it’s not nice to think like this but some people deserve to have a little misery in life like they cause others. Might be worth a try.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

abacomike said:

————————————————-
    I know it’s not nice to think like this but some people deserve to have a little misery in life like they cause others. Might be worth a try.

jmonroe
    Are you applying for the job?

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    I received the new Covid booster last week, only reaction was a sore arm, the same as all previous Covid vaccines.

On car insurance, I recently switched my coverage from USAA to Geico and saved right at $1k per year. I had been with USAA since ... I'm not sure, probably around 1982? It used to be that no one beat the USAA rates for car insurance, but that's definitely not true now. And that seems to depend a great deal on your zip code, and the census information for that zip.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,977
    edited September 2022
    Thanks to dad’s service in the Navy I’ve benefited with USAA membership and have been since 83. I have homeowners and auto insurance with them and have noticed the premiums have really gone up. I am considering shopping around. We have had a few claims on homeowners from storm damage but nothing major and my daughter had one minor car bump up, no ticket issued, earlier this year. Our auto premium went up almost $1k as a result.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

I lost my motivation to shop around, but I should. We have been with Allstate in the U.S. and I saw an ad in AARP that said I would save $100s. So, I answered all their questions...took about half an hour, and then I would have to get records from my current insurer and some other stuff.....and their rate would be $35 a year more.
    He pleaded with me that I should support AARP even if it did cost more.
    He wants me to switch and go thru the hassle after wasting 30 minutes of my life! I don't think so.

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

abacomike said:

————————————————-

jmonroe
    It's never the ones who should suffer - who actually suffer. Usually it is just their innocent victims.

• ventureventure Member Posts: 2,872
    driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

abacomike said:

————————————————-

jmonroe
    It's never the ones who should suffer - who actually suffer. Usually it is just their innocent victims.
    Amen brother!

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

edited September 2022
    I got bored and was surfing CL to see what comparibles to my 2019 Kia Soul+ were going for. Here’s a trim match (+ trim) selling for $4300 more than I paid for mine new in 2019. Not to mention that I’d gouge my eyes out if I had to drive a car that color.

https://newyork.craigslist.org/jsy/ctd/d/newark-2019-kia-soul-wagon-4d-wagon/7526136795.html

Is Carvana nuts?

there was a soul that color in my old neighborhood. it actually looks nice in person.

Carvana, 316 Kia Soul's for sale!

I got bored and was surfing CL to see what comparibles to my 2019 Kia Soul+ were going for. Here’s a trim match (+ trim) selling for $4300 more than I paid for mine new in 2019. Not to mention that I’d gouge my eyes out if I had to drive a car that color.

https://newyork.craigslist.org/jsy/ctd/d/newark-2019-kia-soul-wagon-4d-wagon/7526136795.html

Is Carvana nuts?

Sell now.....buy a new car when they start making more and the prices go down. Sell High....Buy Low!

• benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    edited September 2022
    A couple of pix of the oem Bridgestone tires on my wife's 2018 CR-V. 38k miles, but they are a bit worn. Considering upgrading to the Michelin CrossClimate2, which are now on sale at Costco. I love the CC2 tires on my TLX.

2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)

Consumer reports recently did find tire tests and gave that top marks

edited September 2022
    driver100 said:

Is Carvana nuts?

Sell now.....buy a new car when they start making more and the prices go down. Sell High....Buy Low!
    Selling now would be a smart move but I’d never buy another Soul. They went to a CVT in 2020 and they never really solved the engine problems where they suddenly start burning oil or just decide to blow up.

I’ve made a deal to swap it with my son in 2025 when his Fusion ages out of ride share eligibility. That an old Ford is more desirable than a 9 year newer Kia pretty much tells the whole story.

@benjaminh,
    It does look like the center section of the tread is getting close to the wear bars.
    I don’t think the Bridgestone Potenzas are going to make it to 35k on the Passat. They are around 5/32 now. Also high rated by CU are the Continental LS. I’ve had good experiences with Continental and Michelin.

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,543
    benjaminh said:

A couple of pix of the oem Bridgestone tires on my wife's 2018 CR-V. 38k miles, but they are a bit worn. Considering upgrading to the Michelin CrossClimate2, which are now on sale at Costco. I love the CC2 tires on my TLX.

————————————————-
    Strange that they can calculate the price of the tires but they can’t calculate the tax. Of course this would take the total out the door cost to at least a grand and that doesn’t even include the cost to balance them and shop rags etc. Customers might swallow hard when they see their tires will cost over a grand so why turn them off at home. Better to lay it on them at the store when they show up and have time invested. Then again maybe Costco doesn’t charge for balancing. So it might not be a bad deal after all.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    balancing I believe is included in the tire installation fee. You have to.

Costco includes balances and rotations for five years. Just ordered the tires online, with a projected delivery time to my local store of about a week or so. $1k with tax. It's a bit of an extravagance, since the old tires still have probably a year of life in them. But as I'm almost sure to be doing some long highway drives in snowy/wintery mix conditions over the next few months, it'll be good have these Michelin tires. If the tires last five years that's just $200 a year, which seems like a good deal to have improved traction and braking.
  • henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    I
    jmonroe1 said:

————————————————-
    Strange that they can calculate the price of the tires but they can’t calculate the tax. Of course this would take the total out the door cost to at least a grand and that doesn’t even include the cost to balance them and shop rags etc. Customers might swallow hard when they see their tires will cost over a grand so why turn them off at home. Better to lay it on them at the store when they show up and have time invested. Then again maybe Costco doesn’t charge for balancing. So it might not be a bad deal after all.

jmonroe

I am not a Costco member, but if they are like most outfits, you can proceed to checkout and see the bottom line easily enough without actually doing the purchase. For some reason, a lot of the online sites that do sales work that way. Most likely because sales taxes will vary depending on exactly where you make the purchase, not just the state you're in. Here in Houston, the state gets 6.25% and local taxes can run another 2%. It used to be that in some cases you could get by with less than the maximum 8.25%, but I don't think that's true any more.

Some web sites will offer to calculate the bottom line if you'll give them your zip code, before going to checkout. But in all cases, no one is going to give you a bottom line without the zip code.

2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327

@qbrozen said:

@snakeweasel said:

@qbrozen said:

That's how the Volt worked (but with ecotec engine)

But neither is really a hybrid, per say, since the ICE doesn't power the wheels directly.

But it is a hybrid, it's actually a series hybrid as you have one fuel generating electricity to power the car. Hybrids where both gas and electricity directly move the vehicle are called parallel hybrids.

Not saying some don’t see it that way, but my personal take is to disagree. It is an EV with a backup generator. To call it a hybrid is no different, IMHO, than calling a Tesla a hybrid because a coal-fired plant provides the electricity.

Well it is known in the industry as a serial hybrid and has been for over 100 years. They were the original hybrids.

As for the Tesla, if the coal fired plant was integrated into the car then yes it would be one.

It would also provide a new job. You would have to have an on board fireman shoveling the coal in.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

I would run the tires longer in a warmer climate, but if you are expecting to be dealing with snow, I would always swap them out a little early. They are down to the point were they might drive fine on dry roads, but the wet/snow capability is pretty much wiped out. So, better safe than sorry, especially if you are going to keep the car for a few more years.

edited September 2022
    Yeah, I think you're right on the tires. If I was just driving in Southern California or something similar, they'd be fine. But since I'm driving regularly from Kentucky to mid-Ohio, where it's almost certain to get snowy at some point, we should have first rate tires if possible.

We've gotten generous offers to trade-in our CR-V, but since new ones are at full msrp + $2k we don't see how that makes sense. Plus msrp on a CR-V EX AWD has gone up by about 4k since we got ours in 2018. Functionally the new ones don't seem to have anything more than what we've got. Ours was the first generation with AndroidAuto, turbo engine, and adaptive cruise control, and not much has been added since then.
    edited September 2022
    Been offline for nearly 24 hours because the power still hasn’t returned in my area despite most places nearby getting it back. My cell/connectivity provider apparently had an oopsie and either let their emergency generators run out of fuel or battery power. It was down for about 20 hours, grrr. Hope line power returns soon. I’m running the generator from time to time mostly for the fridge and to recharge things.

Lovely day here today and locally the damage seems fairly light compared to a couple of memorable storms we’ve had since 2003, but no matter, it always wreaks havoc with our power grid. We missed the worst of it but as I mentioned yesterday, Cape Breton Island and Prince Edward Island got hit hard, and pictures are starting to come in. Here’s a set from PEI: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/prince-edward-island/pei-hurricane-fiona-damage-photos-1.6593377

That's some major damage....
  • pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,555
    Glad you were spared and only have to deal with a downed power grid. At the end of August my wife and some of her friends went on a cruise to Portland and Bar Harbor Maine, St. Johns, and Halifax. She said it was a wonderful time with lovely scenery, people, and food. Hopefully it didn't impact those areas too much, based on pictures it's something we may very well do as a family some year. When they were in Halifax they went to a place called Peggy's Cove...is that near you?

1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
    What a mess, hopefully not may injured. I experienced Camille in 69 in New Orleans when I was 10 and Hugo in 89 in Charlotte and several more minor hurricanes. That’s enough for me.

pensfan83 said:

At the end of August my wife and some of her friends went on a cruise to Portland and Bar Harbor Maine, St. Johns, and Halifax. She said it was a wonderful time with lovely scenery, people, and food. Hopefully it didn't impact those areas too much, based on pictures it's something we may very well do as a family some year. When they were in Halifax they went to a place called Peggy's Cove...is that near you?

It's the iconic image for the province used by NS Tourism where I worked for a couple of years. It's about a 45 to 60 minute car ride from here. Most locals avoid the place because it is always overrun with cruise ship passengers and tour buses. :)

If you can visit when it is not so crowded it's actually a charming little place, and on a nice sunny day the drive there and back (it's a loop so you don't have to retrace your entry drive) is very pleasant and scenic. A few fishermen still make it their home port. I have it on good authority they are not employed by Central Casting. B)

driver100 said:

Is Carvana nuts?

Selling now would be a smart move but I’d never buy another Soul. They went to a CVT in 2020 and they never really solved the engine problems where they suddenly start burning oil or just decide to blow up.

I’ve made a deal to swap it with my son in 2025 when his Fusion ages out of ride share eligibility. That an old Ford is more desirable than a 9 year newer Kia pretty much tells the whole story.
    A friend said they had 3 people who were going to the airport, about 30 mile trip. Uber came with a tiny car, and the 3 people had large luggage, only 2 cases went into the trunk and the people in the back had to keep a suitcase on their laps. I have no idea how large the trunk is in the Soul, but is it large enough for luggage etc.?

edited September 2022
    benjaminh said:

If the tires last five years that's just $200 a year, which seems like a good deal to have improved traction and braking.

Good job of dollar cost averaging. Or another way to look at it is you could possibly get one more year out of these tires they will cost you $166 (1000 divided by 6) instead of $200 a year but you will have the safety and reliability of new tires......and the tires you want may not be on sale when you need them.

Always rationalize through averaging out the costs compared to the benefits.

• ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,194
    abacomike said:

@imidazol97 said:

That’s what the meteorologists are telling us. Supposed to be a CAT 3 as it approaches. We are in the “cone of uncertainty”. But we expect heavy winds and tons of rain no matter where it makes landfall because we will be on the eastern side of the storm which produces the heavy rains with winds.

Now the track has been nudged far enough west that you're down to a 30 percent probability of tropical storm-force winds (39 mph) and nearly nil for hurricane force. The west coast of Florida is still well under the gun, especially from Sarasota northward. It's looking more and more like the trough that swings through the Great Lakes and Northeast later in the week is going to be moving too fast to pick it up, so less of a chance of it crossing the peninsula, and more chance of impacting the Panhandle.
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2021 VW TIguan SE 4Motion
    driver100 said:

driver100 said:

Is Carvana nuts?

A friend said they had 3 people who were going to the airport, about 30 mile trip. Uber came with a tiny car, and the 3 people had large luggage, only 2 cases went into the trunk and the people in the back had to keep a suitcase on their laps. I have no idea how large the trunk is in the Soul, but is it large enough for luggage etc.?
    When my relatives visit from Florida I lend them the Soul. You can get two hard or three soft sided suitcases in the trunk but not much more. Interior room is good for such a small car. I’ve seen ride share drivers use Corollas and Accents for standard fare use. If you want a big SUV you can get one but it costs more.