Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646
    andres3 said:

corvette said:

I have not been driving the Prius since its hybrid battery threw a failure code in late July or early August. Effectively, the battery is providing no assist due to the error condition, and there is a 1-2 second lag from hitting the accelerator until the engine spools up enough to provide forward propulsion. That's in the city. I didn't chance it on the highway or up hills.

After extensive research, I settled on an aftermarket battery with new cells which showed an estimated delivery date in August. After ordering the battery, I reached out to the seller to confirm the ship date. He replied that the August ship date was inaccurate and that I was probably 2-3 shipments out, but offered a refund if that wouldn't work for me. He then updated the website to indicate that the next shipment was expected in November (but I assume from his email that mine would not be shipped then, as it was supposedly 2-3 shipments out). I accepted the offer of a refund and waited... and waited. Reached out to confirm whether he had processed the refund and heard crickets. The refund did not appear until I filed a chargeback on my credit card.

It appears Toyota no longer sells OE replacement batteries and may have even had a "fire sale" on them during the pandemic to try to clear out stock, so these cars are stuck with whatever solutions the aftermarket can provide. I have an appointment with a vendor which provides on-site hybrid battery replacement on Tuesday. Fingers crossed!

That seem to be a pretty poor commitment to the brave new world. I read a similar story about someone who bought a 2011 Ford Focus hybrid only to find six months lather that the battery was bad. A replacement cost more than the car and since Ford no longer made the batteries he was SOL.
    Coyote Swap time!!!!!
    A LS swap would be easier. Those big dohc heads make the coyote a tough fit.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,306
    It's rained here half a dozen times. in between, it's sunny. Weird.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,789

xwesx said:

Whoa, buddy! It is a wet mess here in northeastern Ohio right now. I think we've had about three inches of water on us since yesterday morning, and it just keeps coming down. I'm feeling rather soggy at the moment. Most of the yard/s around us looks like a (growing) lake!

Imagine if you were back in Alaska and it was 3 FEET of snow.😩
    Oh, we'll be back there soon enough. I am very much hoping that we can spend most of our miles snow/ice free, as it will speed up the trip significantly!
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,789

It's rained here half a dozen times. in between, it's sunny. Weird.

Haven't quite seen sun, but we have had a few spells of "no raining" mixed in with the downpours. It's actively pouring again this morning for the last couple of hours... I'm not looking forward to seeing how much the pond has grown since last night. I had to cross it to the middle (where our shed is located) in order to grab a set of wheels for the Q7, and it was 4-6" deep; well above my ankles. I couldn't help but wonder why I didn't bring my water boots with me.... LOL
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,194
    Leave it to me to get a simple question down to 5 scenarios. The RDX is close to paid off. The offer on the Jetta is insane, and seemingly less likely to be duplicated than what I can get on the RDX.

A. Status quo. Take advantage of the time of no car payment. The risk is how much we would give back in maintenance and further depreciation.

B. Replace my RDX. Of the replacement scenarios, I think this might get less resistance from my better half. At this point I'd most likely go with something like https://www.carmax.com/car/23118354... even the colors are right.

C(D/E). Take the insane offer on the Jetta and replace it. Simplest strategy from there would be a new Jetta (SEL would get a nice car and stay solidly in budget, even more so than the RDX-for-Outback strategy), but more tempting strategies might involve either a new GLI, or if I'm going that high, https://www.coasttocoastimports.com/used-2019-lexus-is-300-fishers-in-id-48470142
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2021 VW TIguan SE 4Motion
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,515

Lexus looks nice. Certainly fancier than an old jettta!

Who’s car is it going to be? That should be the person deciding! And I assume you do need two otherwise could take the offer on Jett and go with one for a while.

Otherwise change out whichever one you like the least since both are probably at top price right now.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421
    ronsteve said:

Leave it to me to get a simple question down to 5 scenarios. The RDX is close to paid off. The offer on the Jetta is insane, and seemingly less likely to be duplicated than what I can get on the RDX.

A. Status quo. Take advantage of the time of no car payment. The risk is how much we would give back in maintenance and further depreciation.

B. Replace my RDX. Of the replacement scenarios, I think this might get less resistance from my better half. At this point I'd most likely go with something like https://www.carmax.com/car/23118354... even the colors are right.

C(D/E). Take the insane offer on the Jetta and replace it. Simplest strategy from there would be a new Jetta (SEL would get a nice car and stay solidly in budget, even more so than the RDX-for-Outback strategy), but more tempting strategies might involve either a new GLI, or if I'm going that high, https://www.coasttocoastimports.com/used-2019-lexus-is-300-fishers-in-id-48470142

Just a personal opinion regarding the Jetta. I'm usually not one to complain about basic, black interiors. I sat in a Jetta GLI with a 6 Speed at the NY Auto Show. I thought the Black interior was very dreadful. Very basic. Just make sure it is a place you like spending time in before you pull the trigger.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,826
    corvette said:

The Prius lives! Green Bean came by this morning and installed a remanufactured pack. Seems to be driving normally now.

How much?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,262
    $2,012.94 with tax, lifetime warranty, and a new 12v battery (the Optima Yellow Top that was in it was four years old, which seems to be nearing its life expectancy in our climate).

Fingers crossed that it's good for a while, as between this and the wheel bearing/axle assembly and front brakes and rotors, I've now officially spent more than I paid for the car in repairs.
    I thought that as well, but the company was acquired by LKQ, so it's probably more likely to remain solvent vs. an independently owned small shop. Also, the warranty is only transferable to one additional owner.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,934

@corvette said:
    I thought that as well, but the company was acquired by LKQ, so it's probably more likely to remain solvent vs. an independently owned small shop. Also, the warranty is only transferable to one additional owner.

But you are married to it now! ;b

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,544

You’re asking us? Trade the RDX and the Jetta and get a Maserati. That’ll keep your wallet busy for a good long while.

————————————————-
    I agree. Maybe he should get a new wallet now…with a heavy duty hinge before he can’t afford it. :'(

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    corvette said:

The Prius lives! Green Bean came by this morning and installed a remanufactured pack. Seems to be driving normally now.

————————————————-
    How long did it take to wrench it in there? Just curious, how much does that sucker weigh?

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    corvette said:

$2,012.94 with tax, lifetime warranty, and a new 12v battery (the Optima Yellow Top that was in it was four years old, which seems to be nearing its life expectancy in our climate).

Fingers crossed that it's good for a while, as between this and the wheel bearing/axle assembly and front brakes and rotors, I've now officially spent more than I paid for the car in repairs.

Only two grand for a battery pack? That’s a bargain. Are batteries for other hybrids a similar price? It might be worth getting an aging hybrid for a cheap price if you can get a reasonable replacement when the battery dies.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

jmonroe1 said:

How long did it take to wrench it in there? Just curious, how much does that sucker weigh?

Only took the guy an hour or so, but I'm assuming he's done quite a few. It would have taken me longer. They weigh about 80 pounds if memory serves.
    corvette said:

jmonroe1 said:

Only took the guy an hour or so, but I'm assuming he's done quite a few. It would have taken me longer. They weigh about 80 pounds if memory serves.
    ———————————————
    Just getting back in here.

Thanks for the response. An hour doesn’t sound bad at all even for a pro. Hell, @xwesx spent longer than that just undoing electrical connectors and hose clamps when he tore his Audi apart. 80 pounds ain’t bad either but I’m sure the long range Tesla and other long range jobs need a helper to finagle them in place before wrenching them down.

jmonroe
    batteries are even easier if they are underneath. no mucking around under the hood!

I’m trying out a mobile oil change company in the morn. Easier than driving each one somewhere separately. I’ve asked the Charger and Fiat be done for starters. Hopefully they have the right oil.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Hard to beat some of the prices some of these places offer for oil changes. A bundle of five quarts of oil plus a basic filter is $25+ and closer to $35-40 with premium oil from most of the parts stores.
    qbrozen said:

I’m trying out a mobile oil change company in the morn. Easier than driving each one somewhere separately. I’ve asked the Charger and Fiat be done for starters. Hopefully they have the right oil.

Our company uses a oil change service called Spiffy. They come in a Sprinter type van and go down a line of cars sucking all the oil out through the dipstick I think. They can do maybe 50 in a day.

a sprinter? I think QB might have just gotten another business idea....

we are getting the usual new house mail (welcome wagon, that kind of stuff). today got a welcome note and coupon from a local repair shop (pretty big place with 2 locations, but family owned and not a chain). Coupon was for a free oil and filter change (semi-syn oil). that was nice of them. not sure I will use it by 12/31 though. Maybe I will take the Maverick there instead of the Ford dealer which is almost across the street.

qbrozen said:

Our company uses a oil change service called Spiffy. They come in a Sprinter type van and go down a line of cars sucking all the oil out through the dipstick I think. They can do maybe 50 in a day.

————————————————-
    Hopefully someone runs the engines to get the oil hot before the sucking machine is inserted. That’s another reason why I like to do my own oil changes. When I unscrew the drain plug I let it drop onto a screen that I put on top of drain pan. There is no way I’m going to hold that hot drain plug.

jmonroe
    I don't think it matters about being hot when using the suck it out the tube method. It actually might be better since all the oil is in the sump instead of spread around the engine as much!

stickguy said:

I don't think it matters about being hot when using the suck it out the tube method. It actually might be better since all the oil is in the sump instead of spread around the engine as much!

————————————————-
    It easier to suck out warm/hot oil vs. ambient temperature oil. And if this sucking method is used when the temp is freezing or lower I wouldn’t want it done on any car I own.

jmonroe
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,906

I saw a video where they did the dipstick method, but there was still a considerable amount of oil in the pan when they took the drain plug out.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,084

How do they change the filters?

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

Looks like a Wagon Queen Family Truckster to me.

That one is almost hard loaded. Auto temp, premium sound, auto lamp, cornering lights and a trip-minder computer.

No load leveling and why on earth didn’t they spec turbine wheels? Honestly I’m not familiar with that style of wire wheel cover on those. They may not be correct for the year.

Only knock on this, being an 85 no SEFI but the throttle body injection isn’t too bad on these.

edited September 2022

So RAM will need its first shop visit. The cold start problem is real. It has done it every cold start since I first reported it. I am surprised no check engine light.

It will either stall on first start or sputter and buck pretty bad until it levels out.

My cousin is service manager at a Chrysler dealer, but there are multiple dealers closer so I’ll try that first.

Found this. Typical.

edited September 2022
    Try top tier instead of Wawa?

tjc78 said:

So RAM will need its first shop visit. The cold start problem is real. It has done it every cold start since I first reported it. I am surprised no check engine light.

It will either stall on first start or sputter and buck pretty bad until it levels out.

My cousin is service manager at a Chrysler dealer, but there are multiple dealers closer so I’ll try that first.

————————————————
    Chrysler has had so many problems with the CEL over the years they decided to disconnect the bulb for all 2022 models and beyond. :'(

jmonroe
    tjc78 said:

Found this. Typical.

————————————————-
    Oopsie, it ain’t us it’s the other guy. :(

jmonroe
    "They all do that." :#

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,306
    What's the recommended octane for the 5.7?
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert

@stickguy said:
    Try top tier instead of Wawa?

Ironically this all started after using 93 from BJs. I had zero issues with 87 from Wawa.

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,977
    tjc78 said:

That one is almost hard loaded. Auto temp, premium sound, auto lamp, cornering lights and a trip-minder computer.

No load leveling and why on earth didn’t they spec turbine wheels? Honestly I’m not familiar with that style of wire wheel cover on those. They may not be correct for the year.

Only knock on this, being an 85 no SEFI but the throttle body injection isn’t too bad on these.

That is the same color blue and probably same fabric but different cushion pleating that dad had on his 85 Grand Marquis LS. Looks like the same door panels less the white courtesy lights. Those wheel covers do not look correct. The 140 hp 5.0 has its work cut out for it and can feel a bit strained when trying to maintain highway speeds and coping with hills.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

ab348 said:
    Dang. Love it. Would need to drop some money into upping the hp, though.

@qbrozen said:
    Dang. Love it. Would need to drop some money into upping the hp, though.

It’s actually pretty easy to do. SEFI harness from 86+. Heads, Cam, Intake, Injectors and computer from 88+ Mark VII. Some guys prefer to use an Explorer cam and intake but you usually have to upgrade from speed density to mass air.

Most guys also try and grab 90 Town Car exhaust manifolds and convert to dual exhaust.

@explorerx4 said:
    What's the recommended octane for the 5.7?

Manual says it is tuned to run on 87-89 with 89 being preferred. The manual also states rough starting can be attributed to fuel

So I’m gonna run this tank all the way down put in Wawa 87 which the truck did find on. If I still get odd issues starting I’ll take it to the dealer.

I also read many reports of needing to recalibrate the gas pedal which seems like a pretty easy DIY process.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421
    Saw an Intense Blue Elantra N on the back of a car carrier yesterday. The red trim on the bottom definitely differentiates itself. I like it!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

edited September 2022
    sda said:

That is the same color blue and probably same fabric but different cushion pleating that dad had on his 85 Grand Marquis LS. Looks like the same door panels less the white courtesy lights. Those wheel covers do not look correct. The 140 hp 5.0 has its work cut out for it and can feel a bit strained when trying to maintain highway speeds and coping with hills.

I think you're right on the wheel covers, perhaps from a different year. This is what the '85 brochure shows, similar but not quite the same.

EDIT: Or maybe they are generic replacements. Here is a shot of what is on the car. That center emblem does not appear to be anything Ford produced.

I knew they weren’t 85 specific covers. Doesn’t matter.. If I bought it, turbines would be on within the first week!

tjc78 said:

I knew they weren’t 85 specific covers. Doesn’t matter.. If I bought it, turbines would be on within the first week!

————————————————
    Better check the octane requirement first. You don’t want to ruin two vehicles this Winter. o:)

jmonroe