Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646
    ab348 said:

Our company uses a oil change service called Spiffy. They come in a Sprinter type van and go down a line of cars sucking all the oil out through the dipstick I think. They can do maybe 50 in a day.

How do they change the filters?
    ab348 said:

Our company uses a oil change service called Spiffy. They come in a Sprinter type van and go down a line of cars sucking all the oil out through the dipstick I think. They can do maybe 50 in a day.

How do they change the filters?
    I assume somebody crawls under or over with a wrench. Q might know since he’s getting his fleet serviced and has time to stand around and watch them.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

tjc78 said:

@stickguy said:

Try top tier instead of Wawa?

Ironically this all started after using 93 from BJs. I had zero issues with 87 from Wawa.

Maybe that rich diet gave it indigestion.

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,513
    Maybe throw some treatment in the tank too?

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,933

I assume somebody crawls under or over with a wrench. Q might know since he’s getting his fleet serviced and has time to stand around and watch them.

If I had time to watch, I'd do it myself.

I have no idea how he did it. I did inquire if he drains or uses suction, to which he replied they pull the drain plug.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,194
    corvette said:

Looks like a Wagon Queen Family Truckster to me.

You think you hate it now, but wait til you drive it.
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2021 VW TIguan SE 4Motion
  • tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,604
    @breld The new additions should start to feel nervous. Or, at least, more nervous-

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,380
    tifighter said:

@breld The new additions should start to feel nervous. Or, at least, more nervous-

That’s one sexy rear end.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710

That may be a perfect replacement for the existing Polestar in the garage…so the new additions are safe. For the time being. 😀

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,977
    After a standard dentist appointment I was about 10 minutes away from the Acura dealer. I thought I would look at the new Integra. They only had one, top of the line, blue CVT, black interior. I like the size, but you do drop down to sit in the driver’s seat. It seemed nice enough, however it didn’t seem to have that special better than average quality tactile feel in the interior. I question having the Alcantera fabric covering in the front and plain black vinyl in the back. No a/c rear vents either. The salesperson was really nice. She said if I bought one it would have to be ordered, $1k deposit, sign a buyers agreement and anticipate a 2-3 month wait. It appears the base TLX has had a significant price increase. I seem to remember it being about $38k. Now it is almost $42k.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

@au1994 said:

Looks like a Lincoln

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    @sda, regarding the Alcantera insert n the seats, I totally agree. I find that red interiors are usually stunning but that seat insert detracts from the look.
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    corvette said:

$2,012.94 with tax, lifetime warranty, and a new 12v battery (the Optima Yellow Top that was in it was four years old, which seems to be nearing its life expectancy in our climate).

Fingers crossed that it's good for a while, as between this and the wheel bearing/axle assembly and front brakes and rotors, I've now officially spent more than I paid for the car in repairs.

DANG! Even with the S4 I haven't reached the point of paying more in non-routine maintenance/repairs than the cost of a car.

Don't make me do the math on the Neon.... I still don't think I reached 100% of initial purchase price. Then again, I'm not in the business of buying clunkers either.... no offense intended :wink:
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    andres3 said:

corvette said:

$2,012.94 with tax, lifetime warranty, and a new 12v battery (the Optima Yellow Top that was in it was four years old, which seems to be nearing its life expectancy in our climate).

Fingers crossed that it's good for a while, as between this and the wheel bearing/axle assembly and front brakes and rotors, I've now officially spent more than I paid for the car in repairs.

DANG! Even with the S4 I haven't reached the point of paying more in non-routine maintenance/repairs than the cost of a car.

Don't make me do the math on the Neon.... I still don't think I reached 100% of initial purchase price. Then again, I'm not in the business of buying clunkers either.... no offense intended :wink:
    I go back so far I can remember buying cars for $100. Yes, running cars, cars that would take you from here to there under their own power, $100, cash. On such a car it was very easy to spend more on repairs to keep it running than what you initially paid.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,304
    @qbrozen,
    I wanted to say the same thing, but thought I would be viewed as biased due to us having an MKC.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,905

@stickguy said:
    Maybe throw some treatment in the tank too?

I have to pick the wife up at the airport around 10 tonight. I think I’ll just give it an old fashioned Italian tune up down 95 :)

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,262
    andres3 said:

It only cost me $2,700 to purchase and was a bargain at the time (even more so now), so I'm not miffed about it, but might get annoyed if it continues to need big ticket repairs.
    corvette said:

andres3 said:

It only cost me $2,700 to purchase and was a bargain at the time (even more so now), so I'm not miffed about it, but might get annoyed if it continues to need big ticket repairs.
    How many miles did you get before it needed those repairs? My hooptie value calculator says you need to get 10k miles of use for every $1000 you pay with just minor repairs.

If you got 27k miles before you needed that big fix you can still consider it a bargain. Most of my cheap cars have gone the distance, some only came close. At the rate I’m driving my two current beaters I’ll be lucky to live long enough to get there.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,081
    qbrozen said:

Looks like a Lincoln

My exact thought as well.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

@oldfarmer50 - I've put perhaps 7,000 miles on it since buying it in July, 2021, so kind of early to extrapolate a long term average repair cost.
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,012

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

corvette said:

@oldfarmer50 - I've put perhaps 7,000 miles on it since buying it in July, 2021, so kind of early to extrapolate a long term average repair cost.

I’m thinking in today’s market you probably got your $2700 worth just by making it out of your driveway.

Michaell said:
    Do they still make those? I thought all we only had CUV’s to choose from.

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,543
    au1994 said:

tifighter said:

————————————————-
    Let’s just say we have different tastes in rear ends.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    @nyccarguy, so is this another Jeep for a flip or personal use? Anyway, congrats!
    Congrats on the add!

I think I need a group 4xe flow chart to remember all of the movement on these around here.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,418
    carnaught said:

@nyccarguy, so is this another Jeep for a flip or personal use? Anyway, congrats!

I leased this one for the purpose of flipping. Will let you guys know how it goes.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Love it!! Firecracker is a really good color on Wranglers.

A bit ... different with the blue 4xe highlights, but I think it works.

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    I'm not worthy!
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    edited September 2022
    I taught my wife about 6 months after we got married. It worked, but can’t say I would do it again.

Send her to a driving school first.

• jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535
    @nyccarguy Congrats! The red looks sharp.
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    nyccarguy -
    Congrats! Does look sharp in that red.
    - Ray
    Not really a Jeep guy...
    2022 X3 M40i
    @nyccarguy, congrats and good luck with the Wrangler purchase. Let us know how you like it and if you flip it, here’s hoping you really make out.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    I was in Charleston earlier this week for work (got back yesterday so well before the weather is hitting).

We had a Wagoneer as a rental vehicle and my boss was happy to let me drive around. It’s a really nice ride…I’ve gotta think @qbrozen and his wife will really enjoy it.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

nyccarguy said:

I know, I know…. Pics or it didn’t happen:

Congratulations Bradd, just know that we are here for you.😘

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,304
    @oldfarmer50,
    There might be something for you in those pictures, that white Lincoln Town Car. :)
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,012
    Congrats on the new Wrangler, @nyccarguy! It's sharp in red.

Found out the Outback needs new tires. Had a TPMS light go on, and while I was having that attended to, I was told the tread depth was only 3/32.

I got 23K out of the OEM Bridgestones, and now just 30K on the replacement Coopers. I'll admit I wasn't fully on top of the rotation game - I got them done about every 10K, when 5K is the normal interval. Tire place said they would talk to Cooper about what kind of credit I may be able to get (warranty is 70K).

So - I'm thinking about the Michelin CrossClimate2's. @benjaminh - what is your opinion on the ones you have on your TLX? Was somebody else looking into them? If so, why?

I got a quote of just over $1300 for a set of 4:

Tires - $859.96
    Mount/Balance - $96
    Disposal Fee - $18
    Nitrogen - $30 (do I really need this?)
    TPMS rebuild - $32
    State Tire Tax - $5
    Extended Warranty - $129 (includes 3 year roadside assistance - I'm on the fence with this)
    Labor - $225
    Waste Disposal - $23
    Shop Supplies - $46
    Tax - $88

I'm open to thoughts and opinions. Never had Michelins before, figured since we'll likely keep the car for a good long while, why not invest in the best?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,977
    They charge labor on top of mount and balance? I have never experienced that. If you have a Discount Tire nearby they give a prorated hazard warranty at no charge. I skip the optional warranty. Nitrogen, skip. Do you have roadside assistance thru insurance or AAA? I haven’t had Coopers, but my experience with Bridgestones has been fair, they don’t go the distance. All good with Michelins.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,081
    sda said:

They charge labor on top of mount and balance? I have never experienced that.

I was going to question the same thing. What is that supposed to be for?

As @sda said, I have had poor experience with Bridgestone tread life.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,194

@ab348 said:
    I was going to question the same thing. What is that supposed to be for?

As @sda said, I have had poor experience with Bridgestone tread life.

I had a set of Bridgestones on the Volvo and they only went 32k. Wore out quickly and got noisy due to cupping.

2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2021 VW TIguan SE 4Motion
    edited September 2022
    @Michaell - is there a Discount Tire near you? I'd get a second opinion from them. They should be able to wrangle a warranty replacement of the Coopers. Shouldn't be an issue if they are evenly worn, but you will likely have to get a Cooper brand tire as replacements. Charging labor on top of a mount/balance fee is BS, and if you are interested in a road hazard warranty, the "script" at Discount Tire used to be that they will offer it to you at half price if you initially decline.

Edit: 30k tread life isn't extremely unreasonable if you do a lot of stop and go driving. If it's all highway at a steady speed, seems a bit low.
    We have CC2's on the 3 as a 'winter tire' as it came with summers stock. I went with them since I was using the car last year for skiing, back when it was 'my' car. They're great. Good snow grip. Reasonably quiet. Not much effect on range. Good in the rain. Would 100% buy again.

the Vredesteins got really good test results from tire rack too.

@jmonroe1,
    You are experienced at flipping. What upgrades do you recommend for NYC's flip Jeep?
    Hardwood flooring or full bath? :)

————————————————-
    Both.

jmonroe
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,418

@Michaell said:
    Congrats on the new Wrangler, @nyccarguy! It's sharp in red.

Found out the Outback needs new tires. Had a TPMS light go on, and while I was having that attended to, I was told the tread depth was only 3/32.

I got 23K out of the OEM Bridgestones, and now just 30K on the replacement Coopers. I'll admit I wasn't fully on top of the rotation game - I got them done about every 10K, when 5K is the normal interval. Tire place said they would talk to Cooper about what kind of credit I may be able to get (warranty is 70K).

So - I'm thinking about the Michelin CrossClimate2's. @benjaminh - what is your opinion on the ones you have on your TLX? Was somebody else looking into them? If so, why?

I got a quote of just over $1300 for a set of 4:

Tires - $859.96
    Mount/Balance - $96
    Disposal Fee - $18
    Nitrogen - $30 (do I really need this?)
    TPMS rebuild - $32
    State Tire Tax - $5
    Extended Warranty - $129 (includes 3 year roadside assistance - I'm on the fence with this)
    Labor - $225
    Waste Disposal - $23
    Shop Supplies - $46
    Tax - $88

I'm open to thoughts and opinions. Never had Michelins before, figured since we'll likely keep the car for a good long while, why not invest in the best?

Thanks!

Do you have Costco near you? I believe they are currently offering some kind of rebate on Michelin tires. They have a reasonable mounting & balancing charge as well as usually suggesting new tire pressure monitors.

If you buy your tires through tire rack, they come with 2 years of road hazard warranty.

It’s been said before so many times. Your tires are the only contact your vehicle has with the road. It’s a solid place to spend money. With the amount of driving we do, I usually get a little less than 2 years out of my OEM tires. Michelins are my go to replacement. I actually bought a set of Cross Climate 2s for my Mom‘ s 2020 Lexus RX. I think we sold the car 2 weeks later. There was a noticeable difference in ride quality and noise reduction from the OEM tires.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD