Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    edited September 2022
    Michaell said:

Congrats on the new Wrangler, @nyccarguy! It's sharp in red.

Found out the Outback needs new tires. Had a TPMS light go on, and while I was having that attended to, I was told the tread depth was only 3/32.

I got 23K out of the OEM Bridgestones, and now just 30K on the replacement Coopers. I'll admit I wasn't fully on top of the rotation game - I got them done about every 10K, when 5K is the normal interval. Tire place said they would talk to Cooper about what kind of credit I may be able to get (warranty is 70K).

So - I'm thinking about the Michelin CrossClimate2's. @benjaminh - what is your opinion on the ones you have on your TLX? Was somebody else looking into them? If so, why?

I got a quote of just over $1300 for a set of 4:

Tires - $859.96
    Mount/Balance - $96
    Disposal Fee - $18
    Nitrogen - $30 (do I really need this?)
    TPMS rebuild - $32
    State Tire Tax - $5
    Extended Warranty - $129 (includes 3 year roadside assistance - I'm on the fence with this)
    Labor - $225
    Waste Disposal - $23
    Shop Supplies - $46
    Tax - $88

I'm open to thoughts and opinions. Never had Michelins before, figured since we'll likely keep the car for a good long while, why not invest in the best?

I don't know where you got that estimate, but if I were you, I would be looking for a different tire shop. Discount Tire is good, Sam's Club is also good. I have been buying tires for 50+ years, and I have never been charged labor outside of mount and balance.

My last round with Discount Tire was on this 2013 work truck. They dismounted the tires from the old steel wheels, mounted the same tires on the new aluminum wheels, installed 4 new TPMS senders, balanced the tires, calibrated the TPMS senders, and the bottom line was about $130. I brought in everything, tires, wheels, TPMS senders, and they supplied the know how, the tools, and the labor, for about $130 all in.

And while I'm at it, I would seriously recommend that you pay more attention to your tires in the future. 3/32 is getting very thin on that tread depth.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,533
    Count me as another one who doesn’t know what the labor charge is . I know I’ve never seen a line item like that. I’d be shopping at another tire store.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,896
    OK, so in the interests of brevity in my initial post, I skipped a couple of what now seem to be relevant points.

Yes, I have a Discount Tire nearby - in fact, that's where I took the Outback when the TPMS light came on. They were the ones who told me about the tread depth.

I took it to the tire store where I got the Coopers, hoping that I might score some credit due to the premature wear.

I, too, wondered about the mount and balance charge, and the labor charge on top of that.

I will get a quote from Discount in the morning.

We have Costco, but are not members.

Thanks to everyone who chimed in. I'll get this taken care of within the next week.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,895

Late to the party but 100% go with Michelin. I’ve never had a bad experience with them.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

@nyccarguy
    Love the color on the new Jeep. Congrats!

• ventureventure Member Posts: 2,869
    Michaell said:

OK, so in the interests of brevity in my initial post, I skipped a couple of what now seem to be relevant points.

Yes, I have a Discount Tire nearby - in fact, that's where I took the Outback when the TPMS light came on. They were the ones who told me about the tread depth.

I took it to the tire store where I got the Coopers, hoping that I might score some credit due to the premature wear.

I, too, wondered about the mount and balance charge, and the labor charge on top of that.

I will get a quote from Discount in the morning.

We have Costco, but are not members.

Thanks to everyone who chimed in. I'll get this taken care of within the next week.

Costco is offering $150 off on a set of 4 Michelins until 10/23. It might be worth joining.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,527
    @Michaell If that is your Subaru dealer's tire quote, then just go somewhere else. (anywhere)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,293
    @michaell,
    Agree with the others that the labor charge is just a wallet flush.
    If you aren't going to take care of the new tires, rotate and check pressures, don't spend the money on high end tires.
    Last 2 sets of tires replaced were Pirelli P7's, rated for 45k, got 45k. Replaced just before winter.
    2013 Escape with Continental Crosscontact's replaced just under 75k. Still had some life left but headed into a Wisconsin winter.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,486

Found a Nice ford pickup for old farmer local to him. Under $10k!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1674050486159173/permalink/3478401435724060/

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

kyfdx said:

@Michaell If that is your Subaru dealer's tire quote, then just go somewhere else. (anywhere)

Nope, the quote was from a regional chain here in the midwest (Big O Tire).

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,371
    Wait, you can replace tires on a car? I kid, I kid. Sort of.

Seriously though, 100% agree on Discount tire and Michilens. Thats what I put on the X1 this time around. Super quiet compared to the factory Pirelli’s and Continentals which they replaced.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,961
    stickguy said:

the Vredesteins got really good test results from tire rack too.

I am considering Vredesteins when I replace the Bridgestones on the Passat. Now that Discount Tire owns Tire Rack they may be able to order them directly for me. I am also considering Continental LS. They've received good reviews by both Tire Rack and CR. Both are considerably less expensive than Michelins.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

Michaell said:

kyfdx said:

Nope, the quote was from a regional chain here in the midwest (Big O Tire).
    Absolutely ridiculous quote

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Might be in trouble. Took the wife’s X3 in for service, today. This is the loaner:

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Nice car. I’d take that over the RDX. Love the interior. Hard pass on that color though.

My wife loves that color. Sort of a cement gray? It’s on a lot of stuff, now.
    Plus, the interior matches what she has now, plus the M-Sport package. 😕

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,961
    kyfdx said:

Time to open the check book!

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

Interior is gorgeous. Paint looks like Maverick cactus gray. Whenever we see that color the wife makes a face. But she loves BMW blue!

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,371
    kyfdx said:

Might be in trouble. Took the wife’s X3 in for service, today. This is the loaner:

Oh mama…

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

That’s sharp looking!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,635

@oldfarmer50,
    There might be something for you in those pictures, that white Lincoln Town Car. :)

I’d love to have gotten one of those Panther cars but even some approaching hooptie status are commanding premium prices.

Here’s one that I would be interested in if it weren’t for the price and that awful vinyl roof.

https://albany.craigslist.org/ctd/d/webster-2005-lincoln-town-car-signature/7537371121.html

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

Ah... the Florida package!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,553

Sharp color combo....there's no problems. Only solutions.

@nyccarguy the Wrangler is sharp. Enjoy for however long you have it.

1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,923
    edited September 2022

I’d love to have gotten one of those Panther cars but even some approaching hooptie status are commanding premium prices.

Here’s one that I would be interested in if it weren’t for the price and that awful vinyl roof.

https://albany.craigslist.org/ctd/d/webster-2005-lincoln-town-car-signature/7537371121.html

I tagged a couple of panthers recently (for my son). These are far more reasonable.
    https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/499064891683234
    https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/473331204532105

I'm kind of leaning towards this, though:
    https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/546923767216692

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

stickguy said:

Found a Nice ford pickup for old farmer local to him. Under $10k!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1674050486159173/permalink/3478401435724060/

LOL, I’d like to try driving one of those just for the experience but I think that’s a little old even for me. Did you make it to the Saratoga Auto Museum auction? Plenty of comparable vehicles up there.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

edited September 2022
    kyfdx said:

Bird poop is on a lot of cars too but that doesn’t make the car attractive. I don’t get the attraction of that recent trend in color palate either. I do like the interior though.

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,146
    edited September 2022
    I couldn't believe the addons for the CC2 tires quoted.

I checked my regional tire group here in W OHio. Michelin CC2 225x50x17 for my Cruze.
    $732
    56 mounting
    16 disposal
    04 Ohio tire tax
    Price included lifetime rotation, lifetime balancing.
    Lifetime balancing used to be extra charge as part of road hazard warranty; now it's included.

Road Hazard for 4 tires is $114, included repairs of punctures, replacement for damage tire...

Ohio sales tax would be additional to this total.

Grismertire.com

When I purchased Michelins in past, I got a packet with 800 number for road service call from Michelin .

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

I couldn't believe the addons for the CC2 tires quoted.

I checked my regional tire group here in W OHio. Michelin CC2 225x50x17 for my Cruze.
    $732
    56 mounting
    16 disposal
    04 Ohio tire tax
    Price included lifetime rotation, lifetime balancing.
    Lifetime balancing used to be extra charge as part of road hazard warranty; now it's included.

Road Hazard for 4 tires is $114, included repairs of punctures, replacement for damage tire...

Ohio sales tax would be additional to this total.

Grismertire.com

When I purchased Michelins in past, I got a packet with 800 number for road service call from Michelin .

I bought tires from Grismer, once. But, the closest location is Hamilton, so a little too far. I wanted Nokian, and they were the closest dealer, at the time.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    corvette said:

@Michaell - is there a Discount Tire near you? I'd get a second opinion from them. They should be able to wrangle a warranty replacement of the Coopers. Shouldn't be an issue if they are evenly worn, but you will likely have to get a Cooper brand tire as replacements. Charging labor on top of a mount/balance fee is BS, and if you are interested in a road hazard warranty, the "script" at Discount Tire used to be that they will offer it to you at half price if you initially decline.

Edit: 30k tread life isn't extremely unreasonable if you do a lot of stop and go driving. If it's all highway at a steady speed, seems a bit low.

To me, 30K is unreasonable when the warranty is more than double that. What's the point of a mileage warranty if you don't get proration refund; easy math, 50%.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion

@oldfarmer50
    Yeah the full Florida treatment on that one is tough. Not a huge fan of 05s since it’s the first year of DBW and the dash isn’t the new style launched in 06. Ford never got the mapping just right and they have weird throttle response compared to 06+

@qbrozen
    That LeSabre looks solid

qbrozen said:

I tagged a couple of panthers recently (for my son). These are far more reasonable.

I love that Lincoln Mark VIII. It has the improved headlights so you don’t have to drive at night with a white cane. I worry about condition though. Only $2500? Must have a ton of problems or don’t those big American cars have any fans these days.

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,721
    Congrats, Bradd. Don't fall in love with it!
    Kydfx, love "chocolate" interiors.

So, I'm CC shopping again... I probably let a good (these days, that is) deal pass me by with my (frugal/practical/annoying) indecision...

But, I just filled out 3 "Get your internet price" forms (I'm bored) and, one dealer immediately returned my email with details! The internet price was $1k higher for a cash deal, which I asked about. And, outrageous "conveyance fee" plus some other state (CT) fees not detailed. I've followed up with more questions, but, wow, the reply was within 5 minutes and relatively complete!

I await the other two dealers, all in CT.
    Massachusetts doesn't allow out of state temp plates, so I want to know if the CT dealers will do all the title/license/registration for the "conveyance" fee. As the nice, small independent used car place that I didn't act upon noted that they would do.
    That was a nice day, drove down to the CT shore town, took a test drive on a gorgeous day (with the somewhat nervous owner riding shotgun, not allowing as long a drive as I would have liked). Then, onto Mohegan Sun where I had a free lunch and actually won some $ (about 98% shy of enough to have then bought the car, which was my plan).

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

And, second dealer email arrived. But went right to my SPAM folder. Wonder if that's a sign...
    But, no details, just contact me with questions. THat's a shame.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

sda said:

kyfdx said:

Time to open the check book!
    ————————————————-
    Correction…I’d say it’s time to lose it. :'(

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    qbrozen said:

————————————————-
    I see where it says it’s been “Driven 117,024 miles”, maybe you otta ask how many miles it’s been towed to get to the shop. :o

jmonroe
    And, response 1 includes:
    $798!!! Conveyance fee
    $200 state operation fee plus $168 vin etch.

Again, that's a shame... no thank you vin etch. And, is the $200 really a state of CT fee or another "conveyance..."

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    edited September 2022
    How would you feel about an advertisement for a used car sale that says, Total garage queen, 137K miles for a 2012?
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    CT dude doing a decent email job, answering questions for the most part.
    "If I got the 368 waved either way? Could we put this together? "

It is tempting, but a long drive to view and test drive. I'd have to make a day of it, visit other places too. Maybe combine with a UConn football game! But, why suffer that ignomy. Who's idea was it for UConn to play true Div 1 teams!

Called Discount Tire - they are applying the on-line promotion for the Michelins, so I'm looking at $909, all in ($1067 if I elect to get the road hazard warranty).

Scheduled installation for Monday at 9AM.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Michaell said:

Called Discount Tire - they are applying the on-line promotion for the Michelins, so I'm looking at $909, all in ($1067 if I elect to get the road hazard warranty).

Nice. I've been very happy with Discount Tire in my area.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

edited September 2022
    kyfdx said:

Michaell said:

Nice. I've been very happy with Discount Tire in my area.
    We've used Discount pretty regularly for our past cars; when I needed to replace the OEMs on the Outback, they didn't have what we wanted in stock, and the other place did.

And, I can skip the hassle of fighting for any sort of credit - I doubt it would have added up to $400, that's for sure.

And yes, I will be more diligent about getting them rotated every 5000 miles.

I just looked at my records for the MINI - I had them rotated in March, about 6000 miles after they were installed.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,966
    edited September 2022
    Been home with vertigo going on almost a month now, last worked 3 weeks ago today. The physical therapy is definitely helping! Plan is for more p t on Monday then working, finally, Tuesday & Friday as I already have the holiday off on Wednesday, it's Yom Kippur. Figure going back for just a couple of days my first week might be a good thing. Luckily, I've got a great boss & he's been agreeable to everything so far. Have only been driving for therapy so haven't put any petrol in for about about 3 weeks and still have only used maybe an 1/8th of a tank, if that. Luckily, p t is pretty close which is great.
    Came out two weeks ago Monday and my car wouldn't start! Had the Accent in the garage also since the girls were on a trip to Orlando, so used it the next couple of days to get to physical therapy. Had plenty of food in the house so no extra driving needed. Finally got to Tires Plus that Wednesday morning and had to replace the 23 month old Interstate unit. T P no longer carries Interstate products but did pro-rate the new battery so just cost me $66 plus $30 bucks labor. Labor price went up by double since the last time as did the battery charge. Battery charge was the same that we paid for the Audi's new one last month so didn't feel that badly. And hers was done right in our garage to! Inflation has added to prices of everything it seems but hey, we both needed new batteries so we had no choice here!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

Bradd, confused here. What vehicle left the fleet to be able to get the new 2022 Jeep? Assuming something was traded in.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

The Audi's left headlight went out while the girls were in Orlando, a new one was put in when they got home. Seems like now both have been replaced since we owned it. I know I've replaced at least one of mine, think both, at Pep Boys, but can't seem to find the receipt. Seem to remember having to go back to get a rebate they forgot to use taken off the bill, but will have to do some more digging in the receipts to see if both were done. Knowing me, had both done at the same time to just have them in sync.
    I did do a list of all the work I've had done on the Golf since new and was surprised really. Have spent a bit more than I thought in the almost 8 years of ownership but am still loving it! And think by December 12th, the 8 year mark, I'll have just driven 72K miles, give or take. Not too bad really though these last few years have seen a dramatic drop in overall driving. I did do a couple of synthetic oil changes a bit close together a few years back but turned out that the receipt had fallen between the seat and console so thought I was way overdue on that change/rotation. But figured it was better to do one too many than one too late. As long as things work out well, can see me keeping the Golf another couple of years honestly. But, one never knows just what might fall into my lap!

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    nyccarguy said:

I know, I know…. Pics or it didn’t happen:

Ooooohhhhh YEah! You know what I think. Big Congrats!
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    big day here today. I had to run out to the store, so since I had the truck, I got ambitious and squeezed it into the garage when I got home. my rearranging of the shelves worked out. the space left was big enough now and I can even walk around it. got the mirror real close to the door edge but I have more space in the middle. So crisis averted, but man, it would be a much easier fit for something 2 feet shorter like a CX 30.

backed in since I did not have the wife to be a spotter and did not want to run the nose into anything. Only took one shot and slid right in. will likely keep doing that since it is much easier to get out the drivers door in the middle instead of up close to the wall.

really wish the garage was a couple feet deeper like my old one, but gotta work with what you got. definitely could not fit a midsized truck like a Tacoma in there unless I pretty much pulled in to within 2" of the wall!

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    qbrozen said:

A good friend of mine had a 2005 LeSabre for many years. I replaced the power window mechanism in the driver's door about 3 times, and in the front passenger door once. I also replaced the intake manifold gasket at about 150k. The last time I saw that car, it had over 170k and was still running quite well.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,382

@stickguy said:

I park the Hyundai similarly. We don’t have a super deep garage on a good day and on my side we have our entire HVAC system and hot water heater. It is what it is.

2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI

@stickguy said:

I park the Hyundai similarly. We don’t have a super deep garage on a good day and on my side we have our entire HVAC system and hot water heater. It is what it is.

That's how we do it, as well.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator