Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,977
    edited September 2022
    stickguy said:

Looks like you have decent room. Who got KAG 4444? It is so nice having vehicles in the garage. I wish I had a 3 car garage as I wipe the dew and soon frost off the windows of the TL daily so my daughter can drive safely to Winthrop college, about a 45 minute drive. I have a 7:30 appt tomorrow at the local Honda dealer to have the TL serviced.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    Ugh... Front tires are under 4/32nds, and rears are only slightly better. 19" runflats. Dealer quoted $870 just for the front pair. So, I'm shopping for a full set. It's bleak. (I knew this, more or less).

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968
    Stick, if you get a chance, walk out farther from the garage and show us that pic. Looks like you'll have enough room to pull in or back in the truck. Not the biggest garage but, both of your vehicles are somewhat medium in size. Noticed that the plate #'s are off by two, just wonder who got 4444, not that it really matters.
    Never back mine in since I've got that pesky a/c air handler behind me, just too much of a pita! Usually, with enough room, I'd rather back into a space but our garage just isn't wide enough. A few more feet would've been perfect or best would to have had a three car garage unit. But since we live on a cul-de-sac, we have a pie shaped lot so no room for a larger garage or even a circular drive. Miss not having a circular drive to be honest.
    Our neighbors now have two of those Rat Pack storage units sitting on their driveway, doing some extensive remodeling it seems. But with them having 3 vehicles, they've taken over the small space in front of our house now to park his city owned Suburban. Backing out, it's an accident waiting to happen honestly. Luckily, I leave early enough in the morning so as to not hit anything. But, he's taken over the area we've used to put out the trash bin and the recycling bin now so an issue those two days a week. Just wish they would've mentioned all this stuff as a heads up like I would've done. And the neighbor across from our house has 5 vehicles, so way too many vehicles for the four homes on the cul-de-sac...12 at last count. And the only ones to use their garage for the intended purpose is...us, of course!
    Annoying at best, just hope it's all done within the next month or so!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,935

That lesabre has the old bulletproof 3.8, so no worries there.

As for those big old cars like the mark 8… of course they have fans, but they are fans living off social security, so gotta stay cheap.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,262

@kyfdx - time to convert to GFTs (gets flat tires)?

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,381
    corvette said:

I did on the X1.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,017
    When we leased our '99 New Beetle and the '99 Expedition a month apart, we got them registered at the same time.

Ended up with plate number EIE4966 and EIE4967.

How in the world did you register the RDX and the Maverick together yet still not get consecutive plate numbers?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,906
    edited September 2022

@stickguy Nice!

I’m looking to do my garage work this weekend and get the truck in. I know my wife wants to get everything for vacation on the 8th ready tomorrow, so hopefully I have time on Sunday.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,349
    edited September 2022
    No discount off MSRP for the M240i, plus the doc fee has increased so that's a no-go. I'll keep looking for something CPO from Munich or Stuttgart...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

corvette said:

Not for my wife’s car. Just not worth the hassle. Another set gets me 30K miles, which would be 90K total. We’ll trade before that.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,604

@roadburner said:
    No discount off MSRP for the M240i, plus the doc fee has increased so that's a no-go. I'll keep looking for something CPO from Munich or Stuttgart...

MSRP on a M240 would be a respectable deal in the PNW. Guess it varies by region.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421

@kyfdx said:
    Ugh... Front tires are under 4/32nds, and rears are only slightly better. 19" runflats. Dealer quoted $870 just for the front pair. So, I'm shopping for a full set. It's bleak. (I knew this, more or less).

For the wife’s BMW?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,516
    sda said:

stickguy said:

Looks like you have decent room. Who got KAG 4444? It is so nice having vehicles in the garage. I wish I had a 3 car garage as I wipe the dew and soon frost off the windows of the TL daily so my daughter can drive safely to Winthrop college, about a 45 minute drive. I have a 7:30 appt tomorrow at the local Honda dealer to have the TL serviced.
    funny story. when we went to the DMV to do both licenses and both cars, the clerk pulled the first set out of her drawer, then went to get the 2nd and said that 4444 was gone because somebody wanted it earlier in the week and another clerk cherry picked it from her stash.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

I actually find it easier to back into a tight space. get the BU camera and side mirrors to help. pulling in, you are just ball parking it!

there is enough space for both. can't have a lot of other stuff (shelves, cabinets or bikes) so I just moved the excess (including the bikes) to the large shed in the back yard. And will probably hang some more shelves or cabinets in the garage at some point. but at least should not be an issue keeping them both inside when I want to.

• ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,194
    edited September 2022

Still haven’t found the gumption to propose replacing the wife’s Jetta, and not sure how much sense it makes to replace a car that’s only being driven 3k per year. Even if the replacement might get close to double the usage.

The 21 Outback XT I mentioned earlier dropped in price by $1000, but started showing unavailable before I could make a move on it.

Today I did look at something a little different… a 2018 A5 Sportback, with just 29k, same price point as that Outback. Really enjoyed the way it drove, but while it could get by doing stuff locally with the bike, travel to destination triathlons might require too much Tetris. Might have to hold out for an Outback at the right price for the miles. Luckily I can wait. Or if the Mrs. says we should replace the Jetta, hope the previously posted Lexus IS is viable to replace it. I think the Audi was a bit $$ to replace the Jetta.

2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2021 VW TIguan SE 4Motion
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,306
    Ohio only gives you one plate unless you get a custom plate. Even then, 2 may be an extra cost option.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,906

Jersey is a front plate state. Truck came from Florida so no front plate bracket. I really don’t want a front plate, but I’m sure if I don’t put it on I’ll get pulled over.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

Ohio only gives you one plate unless you get a custom plate. Even then, 2 may be an extra cost option.

Ohio is a recent convert to single plate. KY is a single plate state.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

nyccarguy said:

@kyfdx said:

For the wife’s BMW?

Yes. Her car has 60K miles. We bought it as a service loaner exactly five years ago with 4K miles. The current tires have around 32K on them. They are fine, until winter weather gets here.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

tjc78 said:

Jersey is a front plate state. Truck came from Florida so no front plate bracket. I really don’t want a front plate, but I’m sure if I don’t put it on I’ll get pulled over.

trucks look fine with a front plate, with the huge bumper to put it on. Besides, it is a lease so who cares what it does to the bumper putting holes in it?

• mrwhipple311mrwhipple311 Member Posts: 53

Ohio is one plate even with custom plates now
    @mrwhipple311,
    You can get 2 custom plates but not regular issue plates.
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,386
    edited October 2022

WA is a front plate state, too, but with the Tesla and the Hyundai I’ve been living dangerously.

2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • mrwhipple311mrwhipple311 Member Posts: 53

@mrwhipple311,
    You can get 2 custom plates but not regular issue plates.

I didn't see that option when I got my personalized last year and historical this year. They are both one plate now by default.

@mrwhipple311,
    On the form we filled out, wife got a special interest plate with a custom letter number combo, you can select one or two plates.
  • henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    I am not a big proponent of run flat tires. So far I have managed to avoid owning any vehicle with RFT's, and have not yet owned a vehicle without a spare tire. I have owned cars with the "donut" spare, and even had to use one.

Back around 2017 or so, when I came close to buying a new Kia Soul, that came with only the "spare tire in a can". There was a place to store a spare tire, and you could buy one as an extra cost option which naturally I was going to do.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,555

My pet peeve is dealers in 2 plate states that prep their cars for 2 plates. The Acura came from NY outfitted with the front bracket and after it was removed the holes were plugged. From afar it's not really noticeable but would still rather not have the bumper drilled into.

1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421

@pensfan83 said:
    My pet peeve is dealers in 2 plate states that prep their cars for 2 plates. The Acura came from NY outfitted with the front bracket and after it was removed the holes were plugged. From afar it's not really noticeable but would still rather not have the bumper drilled into.

They used to make brackets for the front plate that make it so you don’t have to drill into the front bumper. I believe my Prelude has such a bracket.

CT is a 2 plate state. I see people driving around with the front plate in their window. Not sure if that’s legal or not. NY is a 2 plate state. If you don’t have that front plate mounted, you will get pulled over. Park on the street with no front plate & you’ll get a ticket.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

pensfan83 said:

Same here.. my GTI from @breld had the front bracket screwed right into the bumper.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Got my 11/24 sticker for the rear plate during the week. Have a handicap license plate plus the blue placard for the other vehicles I sometimes drive in. Just have to go out there and unscrew the clear plastic cover, bring it in & wash the whole thing, then re-attatch everything. Have a small stool I sit on as my balance is so off right now, I fall over on my face without the help. Ah, the price of getting old!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,349
    The X1 has run flats and no spare; the 2er has go flats with no spare. Somehow I have managed to survive.
    The Club Sport has an emergency spare which is located beneath the trunk. In 27 years it has only been removed once- when I lowered it in order to change the oil in the differential.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646
    tjc78 said:

That’s bad enough but what about going from a two plate to a one plate state and trying to figure out what to do with the holes in the front bumper.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

Got my 11/24 sticker for the rear plate during the week. Have a handicap license plate plus the blue placard for the other vehicles I sometimes drive in. Just have to go out there and unscrew the clear plastic cover, bring it in & wash the whole thing, then re-attatch everything. Have a small stool I sit on as my balance is so off right now, I fall over on my face without the help. Ah, the price of getting old!

Sandy, I notice the company cars with Florida plates have a sticker now that says PM instead of an expiration date. Is that something new for fleet cars?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

if NY switched to one plate I would just put something else in the front bracket. Not worth taking it off and dealing with the screw holes left behind. Something for a sports team or college maybe. All kinds of options.

when I bought my Miata 20 years ago it had been in PA so I needed to get a front bracket. The Mazda OEM was a back hook. I think there were mounting holes on the bottom of the front crossmember that it bolted to, then a U bracket that looped under the front valance. so the plate bolted to the uprights but nothing went into the nose plastic. Good solution.

I have gotten a few new cars from PA and at least 2 of them just left the front bracket in the trunk wrapped in plastic (well, one Hyundai dealer forgot to even do that so had to send me one) and I installed them myself. Talk about nerve wracking, having to shoot self tapping screws into your new car!

OF, seems to be the new designation for fleet rentals going forward. Makes things easier overall since no more bending over to put those little yellow stickers on. We still have a few "6/22" vehicles running around and a few drivers refuse to drive them. My first year as an independent contractor, Hertz hired our crew to put the new stickers on & put the paperwork in the glove box. They had this huge lot with like 500 vehicles all needing the new stickers and took us the whole day to get things done.
    Years ago, he bad guys would follow tourists out of the airports with vehicles having the 6/12 or whatever year it was sticker as nine times out of ten, they were tourists. After enough folks got robbed, the state went with a different sticker. Seems like history repeated itself but eventually, the bad guys will learn that the "PM" plates are fleet rentals & more chaos will ensue.

Had run flats on the Golf before the current Goodyears and as not a fan. They were Bridgestones and never had a flat with them. They were a bit rough riding and as they aged, could hear a strange sound coming from them. Am enjoying the current Goodyear Sport tires and glad I listened to the sales guy who had them on his GTI. Wearing very evenly though two have been replaced under the road hazard policy. Got them in September of 2019 and am hoping to not have to replace any more of them while I still own the vehicle. Since I'm not driving much, hoping to get another couple years use out of them before I trade into something newer.

My son, on his way to Louisville from Chicago, started passing a bunch of exotic cars with signs on them. Turns out it was the first leg of this:
    https://www.crownrally.com/south.php

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,017
    The Michelins came in from the warehouse this morning, so I changed my appointment from Monday to today.

Discount is really efficient - I had a 1:15 appointment, got there a few minutes early, and was back in my car at 1:50.

$909.48, installed. Only a couple of miles to drive home, so not enough time to really give any feedback.

Certainly a unique tread pattern, that's for sure.

While killing time before my appointment, I stopped by the Acura dealer, where they had just received a new Integra A-Spec with a stick shift. White over red interior (just the way @graphicguy likes it).

After a bit of adjustments with the seat, I found I was pretty comfortable behind the wheel.

Price? MSRP plus all weather mats for all seats and the hatch area, plus tinted front windows. About $900, total. MSRP was around $37K.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

Just paid $2.95 for regular in Margate Florida, over by Pete's Barbershop by State Rd. 7 & Margate Blvd. Lowest price I've seen in awhile. And that was at a Chevron station for either cash or credit! Just hope the prices continue their downward trend for a long while.

edited October 2022
    Ohio now has 2 stickers for the rear plate, expiration date and county(not sure if where plate issued or where you live).
    CT stopped using the expiration date stickers about a dozen years ago. People had a way of peeling the sticker off the plate. Newest one we have is 2009.
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,262
    Florida used to have very conspicuous plates for rentals back in the 1980s, IIRC, and they put a stop to that after criminals looked for those plates to target vacationers.

For whatever reason, when I got the registration renewal on the Prius, I just stuck it in the glove compartment and didn't put the new sticker on the plate. I noticed that after I got the hybrid battery replaced.
  • henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    Many years ago, in a galaxy far far away -- well, Texas, back in the 50's and 60's -- you got new license plates every year. And they alternated colors, white with black letters one year, black with white letters the next year. And all plates expired on the same day, March 1st if I'm remembering correctly. That way the police could spot an out of date license plate from a long way off.

Then for several decades you kept your license plates and only received a new sticker to go on one corner of the rear license plate. Now, for the last several years, you only have a combined registration / inspection sticker in the lower driver side corner of the front windshield.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica

Just paid $2.95 for regular in Margate Florida, over by Pete's Barbershop by State Rd. 7 & Margate Blvd. Lowest price I've seen in awhile. And that was at a Chevron station for either cash or credit! Just hope the prices continue their downward trend for a long while.

That’s surprising. You’d think with all the weather turmoil down there they would be price gouging just a little.

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    I lived in Texas from 1959 to 1963 -- good times in the Hill Country (San Marcos). Later, when I was driving long-haul in my KW through Texas (probably '78 or '79) I was surprised to look down into vehicles as they passed me (many did -- my diff ratio liited my top speed) and see an ice chest stocked with beer, with the driver drinking one.

Turns out that was legal at the time. You could drink while you were driving, you just couldn't be drunk. Texas is a different sort of place, and I liked it then. Looks like a fair number of people like it now as well.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    henryn said:

Many years ago, in a galaxy far far away -- well, Texas, back in the 50's and 60's -- you got new license plates every year. And they alternated colors, white with black letters one year, black with white letters the next year. And all plates expired on the same day, March 1st if I'm remembering correctly. That way the police could spot an out of date license plate from a long way off.

Then for several decades you kept your license plates and only received a new sticker to go on one corner of the rear license plate. Now, for the last several years, you only have a combined registration / inspection sticker in the lower driver side corner of the front windshield.

KY was the same way in the '60s.. White w/blue lettering one year, Blue w/white lettering the next. I liked that, though I'm glad I don't have to swap plates, each year. Just put on the sticker.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,544

Stick, if you get a chance, walk out farther from the garage and show us that pic. Looks like you'll have enough room to pull in or back in the truck. Not the biggest garage but, both of your vehicles are somewhat medium in size. Noticed that the plate #'s are off by two, just wonder who got 4444, not that it really matters.
    Never back mine in since I've got that pesky a/c air handler behind me, just too much of a pita! Usually, with enough room, I'd rather back into a space but our garage just isn't wide enough. A few more feet would've been perfect or best would to have had a three car garage unit. But since we live on a cul-de-sac, we have a pie shaped lot so no room for a larger garage or even a circular drive. Miss not having a circular drive to be honest.
    Our neighbors now have two of those Rat Pack storage units sitting on their driveway, doing some extensive remodeling it seems. But with them having 3 vehicles, they've taken over the small space in front of our house now to park his city owned Suburban. Backing out, it's an accident waiting to happen honestly. Luckily, I leave early enough in the morning so as to not hit anything. But, he's taken over the area we've used to put out the trash bin and the recycling bin now so an issue those two days a week. Just wish they would've mentioned all this stuff as a heads up like I would've done. And the neighbor across from our house has 5 vehicles, so way too many vehicles for the four homes on the cul-de-sac...12 at last count. And the only ones to use their garage for the intended purpose is...us, of course!
    Annoying at best, just hope it's all done within the next month or so!

tjc78 said:

That’s bad enough but what about going from a two plate to a one plate state and trying to figure out what to do with the holes in the front bumper.
    ————————————————
    You can always do what I did when we we bought Mrs. j’s 2012 Subie from a dealer in the Columbus Ohio area. The front plate was held on by black screws so I painted them the body color of the car and screwed them back in. Could you see them? Sure, if you squinted, but it was better than looking at the blank holes that looked black and stood out like a sore thumb on a silver car.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    We have a couple cars that didn’t have front plate brackets installed - my MB wagon and my wife’s MINI - and we’re happy to leave those off until we get called out on it.

And my Acura salesman called me last week and said they were starting to take deposits to get in the queue for the Integra Type S, so I went ahead and placed one. I actually like the new Civic Type R’s looks better, but it seems challenging to get a local Honda dealership here to get you on a list.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

Went to a couple of car lots today to look at some trucks.
    Here a couple of window sticker addendums.
    At least the bedliner and wheel well liners are useful.

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,726
    edited October 2022
    But only a $250 doc fee! $495 seems the standard in my neck of MA, with $798 (plus more fees, including "etching") at the Bristol, CT dealer I'm corresponding with...

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    RE: RunFlats
    My experience, off & on, since 2007 [ Corvette ]
    has been that the ride has improved rather remarkably
    over the years.
    I replaced the RunFlats on my 340i with Michelin GoFlats.
    The RunFlats on my M340i are much better - and I am
    keeping them on.
    - Ray
    Also have a spare = an option from the factory.
    Belt & suspenders...
    2022 X3 M40i