Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200

But only a $250 doc fee! $495 seems the standard in my neck of MA, with $798 (plus more fees, including "etching") at the Bristol, CT dealer I'm corresponding with...

$250 is max in Ohio, by state regulation.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    @rayainsw I agree.. the performance and comfort of RFs has improved markedly, over the last ten years.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    @laurasdada,
    Until recently, I lived in a town next to Bristol CT. If a new car dealer, it's either Stephen's or Crowley.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,190

But only a $250 doc fee! $495 seems the standard in my neck of MA, with $798 (plus more fees, including "etching") at the Bristol, CT dealer I'm corresponding with...

From what I have seen, I'd bet that the doc fee in Ohio is capped at $250 by law, so they have to get creative. Indiana seems to be capped at $200. Highest I have seen in Louisville is $699, but it looks like they're also listing a $77 "electronic filing fee" on top of that (not to exceed their actual cost). So much for the doc fee covering the costs of them taking care of the paperwork for you.
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2013 VW Jetta 2.5SE
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    breld said:

We have a couple cars that didn’t have front plate brackets installed - my MB wagon and my wife’s MINI - and we’re happy to leave those off until we get called out on it.

And my Acura salesman called me last week and said they were starting to take deposits to get in the queue for the Integra Type S, so I went ahead and placed one. I actually like the new Civic Type R’s looks better, but it seems challenging to get a local Honda dealership here to get you on a list.

@breld, which car in the fleet would bite the dust?
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,562

Went to a couple of car lots today to look at some trucks.
    Here a couple of window sticker addendums.
    At least the bedliner and wheel well liners are useful.

What the heck is windshield care?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,466

Went to a couple of car lots today to look at some trucks.
    Here a couple of window sticker addendums.
    At least the bedliner and wheel well liners are useful.

What the heck is windshield care?
    ————————————————
    Rain-X ?

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • breldbreld Member Posts: 6,698
    carnaught said:

breld said:

We have a couple cars that didn’t have front plate brackets installed - my MB wagon and my wife’s MINI - and we’re happy to leave those off until we get called out on it.

And my Acura salesman called me last week and said they were starting to take deposits to get in the queue for the Integra Type S, so I went ahead and placed one. I actually like the new Civic Type R’s looks better, but it seems challenging to get a local Honda dealership here to get you on a list.

I figure it’s a year away…probably the ZHP.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,686

@laurasdada,
    Until recently, I lived in a town next to Bristol CT. If a new car dealer, it's either Stephen's or Crowley.

Stephen.
    Spent my youth visiting Lake Compounce, as my father did in his college days.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,466
    breld said:

carnaught said:

breld said:

I figure it’s a year away…probably the ZHP.
    ————————————————-
    Anyone giving odds that the ZHP will be a buy-back?

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    Michaell said:

....So - I'm thinking about the Michelin CrossClimate2's. @benjaminh - what is your opinion on the ones you have on your TLX?....

I love the Michelin CrossClimate2 Tires on my TLX. Excellent traction wet, dry, and in snowy conditions. They add a level of safety (and fun). Worth the money from my pov. And when Costco is doing $150 off for a set of 4, it's about the same price as lesser tires. I resisted joining Costco for years, but when one finally opened near us I joined, thinking I'd quit if it didn't work out. Bottom line is that we like the quality and savings. The Costco Credit card not only pays the membership dues, but gives us a cash benefit of over $500 a year on top of that. Gas is also less at Costco.

For my wife's CR-V I recently did a special order for another set of the CrossClimate 2 tires for her car, with the H rating (we don't need the speed rating of V-tires). We have an appointment to get them installed tomorrow. With tax and installation it was $1,000. Not cheap, but that includes 6 years of rotations and balances.
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    benjaminh said:

Michaell said:

....So - I'm thinking about the Michelin CrossClimate2's. @benjaminh - what is your opinion on the ones you have on your TLX?....

I love the Michelin CrossClimate2 Tires on my TLX. Excellent traction wet, dry, and in snowy conditions. They add a level of safety (and fun). Worth the money from my pov. And when Costco is doing $150 off for a set of 4, it's about the same price as lesser tires. I resisted joining Costco for years, but when one finally opened near us I joined, thinking I'd quit if it didn't work out. Bottom line is that we like the quality and savings. The Costco Credit card not only pays the membership dues, but gives us a cash benefit of over $500 a year on top of that. Gas is also less at Costco.

For my wife's CR-V I recently did a special order for another set of the CrossClimate 2 tires for her car, with the H rating (we don't need the speed rating of V-tires). We have an appointment to get them installed tomorrow. With tax and installation it was $1,000. Not cheap, but that includes 6 years of rotations and balances.
    How's your TLX doing? How many miles do you have currently? Any issues?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

edited October 2022
    nyccarguy said:

....How's your TLX doing? How many miles do you have currently? Any issues?

For my needs, my 2018 TLX is a really good car. Just checked, and it has 62,947 miles with so far (knock on wood) no issues. The combination of the 8-speed DCT and engine allows for nice acceleration, which is now aided by the Michelin tires. On my 4,000 mile road trip last summer I enjoyed the quiet ride, ELS sound system, and mpg as high as 40. Although reviews said that they couldn't even tell that the FWD model has 4-wheel steering, I can feel it every time I turn. My wife shocked me recently by asking if I wanted another car at some point. She didn't realize apparently how attached I am to my TLX. I told her that the non-turbo engine, unusual transmission, special stereo, and steering really made my car unique, and that I hoped to keep it for many years.
    benjaminh said:

nyccarguy said:

....How's your TLX doing? How many miles do you have currently? Any issues?

For my needs, my 2018 TLX is a really good car. Just checked, and it has 62,947 miles with so far (knock on wood) no issues. The combination of the 8-speed DCT and engine allows for nice acceleration, which is now aided by the Michelin tires. On my 4,000 mile road trip last summer I enjoyed the quiet ride, ELS sound system, and mpg as high as 40. Although reviews said that they couldn't even tell that the FWD model has 4-wheel steering, I can feel it every time I turn. My wife shocked me recently by asking if I wanted another car at some point. She didn't realize apparently how attached I was to my TLX. I told her that the non-turbo engine, unusual transmission, special stereo, and steering really made my car unique, and that I hoped to keep it for many years.
    Yours is a "Technology Package," non A-Spec correct? Glad to hear you are enjoying it so much and that it is treating you well.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Yes, although the base model was well-equipped, the Tech adds a lot of good features. A-spec adds an appearance pkg as well as the low profile tires.
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,118
    @benjaminh - thanks for the feedback. I had the Michelins put on the Outback Saturday; yesterday, I had a chance to break them in with a 50-60 mile drive up to Denver and back.

Yes, they are very quiet. Yes, they seem to provide better MPG than the previous tires. Yes, I like them a lot.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312

FWIW, all the additional fees would have added $1465 to the MSRP of the M240i.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    nyccarguy said:

@pensfan83 said:

My pet peeve is dealers in 2 plate states that prep their cars for 2 plates. The Acura came from NY outfitted with the front bracket and after it was removed the holes were plugged. From afar it's not really noticeable but would still rather not have the bumper drilled into.

They used to make brackets for the front plate that make it so you don’t have to drill into the front bumper. I believe my Prelude has such a bracket.

CT is a 2 plate state. I see people driving around with the front plate in their window. Not sure if that’s legal or not. NY is a 2 plate state. If you don’t have that front plate mounted, you will get pulled over. Park on the street with no front plate & you’ll get a ticket.

There must be no crime in NY with all the extra free time they waste on enforcing 2 plates.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    pensfan83 said:

Acura, IMO, does a very good job of creating a "Goldilocks" type experience. Some here and in the general populace may want a sportier driving experience or more power and that's usually the knocks I've seen against the Type S cars rolled out so far.

But for most people it's just right in terms of handling, comfort, and value.

Let me add a couple things to the list of knocks:

1. The slush box transmissions; I haven't driven it, but I've read poor reviews, and seen poor reviews (YouTube) on the 10-speed in the S-types.
    2. Color/paint selection way too limited.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,191
    edited October 2022
    I see BMW reported car sales for 3Q off 28.3%
    but "light truck" sales up 31.2%
    - Ray
    I presume that "light truck" is all SUVs...
    2022 X3 M40i
    rayainsw said:

I see BMW reported car sales for 3Q off 28.3%
    but "light truck" sales up 31.2%
    - Ray
    I presume that "light truck" is all SUVs...

I guess that the "light trucks" are more fun to wear...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,224

@roadburner

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1946395

Good color and handshaker. Do not see sunroof on interior view but does not look like CF roof either

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,356
    pensfan83 said:

Acura, IMO, does a very good job of creating a "Goldilocks" type experience. Some here and in the general populace may want a sportier driving experience or more power and that's usually the knocks I've seen against the Type S cars rolled out so far.

But for most people it's just right in terms of handling, comfort, and value.

This has always been my feeling with Acura and how I felt about my TSX.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,562
    andres3 said:

nyccarguy said:

@pensfan83 said:

My pet peeve is dealers in 2 plate states that prep their cars for 2 plates. The Acura came from NY outfitted with the front bracket and after it was removed the holes were plugged. From afar it's not really noticeable but would still rather not have the bumper drilled into.

They used to make brackets for the front plate that make it so you don’t have to drill into the front bumper. I believe my Prelude has such a bracket.

CT is a 2 plate state. I see people driving around with the front plate in their window. Not sure if that’s legal or not. NY is a 2 plate state. If you don’t have that front plate mounted, you will get pulled over. Park on the street with no front plate & you’ll get a ticket.

There must be no crime in NY with all the extra free time they waste on enforcing 2 plates.

Believe me, they waste more time than just enforcing 2 plates. We have a different “sweep” every week.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,439
    that M2 is gorgeous. Might be willing to sacrifice the moonroof for that one.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

mjfloyd1 said:

@roadburner

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1946395

Good color and handshaker. Do not see sunroof on interior view but does not look like CF roof either

Nice!

@au1994 said:
    This has always been my feeling with Acura and how I felt about my TSX.

My TSX was perfect. There was nothing wrong with it until I test drove a BMW.

I was thinking the other day. If (yes in this group that’s a big IF) I had kept the TSX, it could have been my 200,000 mile car. I traded it in with 50K, put 50K on the 328xi, then 50K miles on the Legacy, and 50K on the Infiniti. I still think after 200K miles I would have ditched it for the Tacoma & it’s $325 per month payment

If I had not turned my 2019 TLX lease in early to Carvana, I almost definitely would have bought it out. and probably kept it a very long time. would never have sniffed that kind of miles, but 10 years, easy.

@Michaell said:
    Interesting evening --- wife wants to start taking the Outback to the cooking studio, separate from the daughter. Just needs some "alone time", she says.

Suggested I might need to get my own car.

Yeah, right. She'll come to her senses in the morning.

Jump on that before she changes her mind!

nyccarguy said:

@Michaell said:

Interesting evening --- wife wants to start taking the Outback to the cooking studio, separate from the daughter. Just needs some "alone time", she says.

Don't think I'm not looking.

Slim pickings if you keep the price limit to $25K.

I found a quite a few Elantra SEL's and a handful of Corolla SE's and Jetta Sports - all new.

Local CarMax has a 2016 GTI S - 2 door with a stick, 54,000 miles, for $22K.

Found a few older German cars with under 60,000 miles, as well - if I'm feeling lucky.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891

@Michaell said:

I found a quite a few Elantra SEL's and a handful of Corolla SE's and Jetta Sports - all new.

Found a few older German cars with under 60,000 miles, as well - if I'm feeling lucky.

New base Impreza is a better value than all those at $22k, IMHO.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• dad23dad23 Member Posts: 866
    Michaell said:

nyccarguy said:

@Michaell said:

Would this be of interest?
    https://denver.clscars.com/used/Audi/2013-Audi-A4-61f6cbbc0a0e0a91701c1968e571b7cf.htm
    dad23 said:

Michaell said:

nyccarguy said:

@Michaell said:

Would this be of interest?
    https://denver.clscars.com/used/Audi/2013-Audi-A4-61f6cbbc0a0e0a91701c1968e571b7cf.htm

It is a 9 year old Audi. Recipe for disaster.

Michaell said:

nyccarguy said:

@Michaell said:

I know we all love to spend one another's money here, but if you can find a brand new GTI S for $32Kish you'll be getting something a lot more substantial for your money. The Corolla SE is "nice" until you see a Civic Sport on the Honda lot (if there is one) for pretty much the same MSRP.

Audi seems clean and well maintained. But it is 9 years old and very boring colors and spec.

Is that 2.0t from the years when they had oil burning issues?

Thanks, all - I knew I could count on you all to help me spend my money.

No idea if this will go anywhere.

@dad23 - I do like that Audi, even if it's white over grey.

@nyccarguy - If I could find a new GTI S for that price, I could be tempted. The $25K was an arbitrary budget number. And, I'd probably prefer the Civic Sport over the Corolla SE - but, the trick would be finding either of them with a handshaker.

We'll see what kind of mood the wife is in. I'm going to the office this morning, and she'll take the car this afternoon to the studio. We could still get by with one car, and I might reach out to my sister to see if the Sonata is still available - her youngest son is driving it, currently.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,538

190K miles in 14.5 years in my '08 TSX (manual 4 cyl), and I still like how it looks when I walk up to it. My hands still fall exactly on the controls, and it's a pleasure to drive. Plus which, it's been paid off for over 13 years. My only fear is that it'll be wrecked beyond repair before I am.

If I recall your TSX is red? Do you have any issues with fading or discoloring or did Honda/Acura have that worked out by then?
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
    @Michaell , if you can hold out, let me know if you want a Suzuki Alto Works around December. ;)
    I'm thinking maybe $7500, just for you.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

qbrozen said:

@Michaell , if you can hold out, let me know if you want a Suzuki Alto Works around December. ;)
    I'm thinking maybe $7500, just for you.

For a runaround car, it could be quite fun.

I'll admit I've looked at some JDM cars from a dealer in TN, I think. I focus on the 4-door sedans rather than the Kei cars or enthusiast oriented models.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,237
    The rear bumper on that white A4 is roached, but it looks nice otherwise.
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,031
    nyccarguy said:

It is a 9 year old Audi. Recipe for disaster.

Heh. Hard to disagree on that point.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

Michaell said:

I'll admit I've looked at some JDM cars from a dealer in TN, I think. I focus on the 4-door sedans rather than the Kei cars or enthusiast oriented models.

Well, I have a very sweet Gloria coming up for sale. But it is a slushbox. At least it has the VQ engine, though! And less than 20k miles! Not to mention fully serviced, including t-belt and new tires. $9k on that one. Slight grandpa odor inside that may or may not be gone at sale time.

kyfdx said:

Pretty sure that @breld has a nice German car for sale, soon. Stick-shift, too... :)

Thinking of taking a trip down memory lane?
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
    edited October 2022

@qbrozen are you thinking of keeping anything you've imported or have inbound so far or still waiting on something else to bid on?