Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,964
    carnaught said:

Better yet buy a printer that doesn’t require the brand name cartridges. My generic cartridges last 2-3 mos with moderate usage, work great, and cost $5-6 for my Canon PIXMA ,all in one.

I'd do that, but we have a b/w laser printer, an all-in-one ink jet printer/scanner, my HP desktop and MrsD100s desktop all running off the same network.....I think I'll have fewer problems if they are all the same.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

kyfdx said:

Gonna whine here some more as I feel like s#!t. Was diagnosed with COVID earlier this week. I’m vaxed and boosted, so it could be worse, much worse. But, still have spent the week feeling terrible and have spent the entire week holed up in the house. Still testing positive, so just riding this out.

My beef is not that I caught it. MAtter of fact, I’m kind of surprised I hadn’t caught it before now. My real beef is I just found out I caught it from a friend who knew he had it, knew it, but didn’t bother to quarantine or inform us. He attended an event where my friends had gathered last weekend. In addition to me, 3 others contracted it.

Needless to say, the “contagious” friend is no longer a friend.

Out of 60 or so drivers we have 9 out with covid this week. All of them have recently done airport duty where you are in and out of dozens of potentially contaminated cars. I often wonder why I haven’t caught anything in all the time I have had that assignment. I got no boosters after the initial shot.
    I think being in a recently occupied car is relatively low risk. Much more exposure being in a group setting. For all the "cleaning" that's been going on, picking up the virus from surfaces is shown to be pretty rare.
    We frequently hop in the cars just as the customer vacates it and the way some people leave rentals it’s a wonder we don’t catch the plague. All the people who came down with covid had worked the airport shift.
    It is basically airborne...that is how you catch it. And, it seems you have to be exposed for a bit of time....not just passing by. But, I thought you guys traveled together at times. That would do it, an enclosed car with 4 or 5 guys....only one has to have it and someone will get it.

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,434
    it should not matter Driver. The printers really just connect to the wireless network. I have mine connected to laptops of different brands, and my phone. But, never a bad idea to stick to a manufacturer you like and trust.

also has the advantage of being used to how they work since that tends to be the same across models.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,849

Anyone with an iPhone doesn’t need a scanner. Open the notes app and it will scan any document to a PDF. It will even merge all the pages together. Works great

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

Downside to having a truck. Wife wanted to go grab some pumpkins to put out on the steps.

Better than this….

I hated dirty stuff inside. That load would have been a non starter. It was so nice just brooming out all the dirt then hitting with the hose.

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    edited October 2022
    Thanks for listening to my whining.

This COVID has kicked my @$$. Weak, hacking, feverish, and all the other symptoms you guys have talked about. I’m vaxed and boosted. Asked my Doc what my prognosis would have been if I hadn’t been vaxed. He said I would be hospitalized.

Anyway, on my 3rd day of Praxlovid. Have heard you don’t feel better until the 5th day of the 5 day prescription. Still waiting.

Apparently, since Mr Contagious thought since he didn’t feel any worse than having a cold, it was OK for him to go out and about after testing positive. He said he stayed home for a day and a half and got bored. Made my feeling about his choice known to him.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    edited October 2022
    BUMP
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,027
    Back when I was working, IT got me a cheapie small Brother b&w laser printer for my office. Loved that thing, worked great for years. Then one day after a couple of years it was gone and everyone had to use the big, expensive networked HP laser down the hall which was a PITA. Too hard to support all those individual printers, they said. Of course in the time I had the little one I never had to call them for anything. The HP though, was always problematic d/t network connectivity issues.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    Up until I retired 2 years ago, the place where I worked had the big expensive HP laser printers. The really big floor standing units, which worked very well. No complaints whatsoever. Except occasionally someone wanted to fax, and the built in fax didn’t work (no landline connection). I would walk by and see someone struggling to send a fax, and I would recommend one of the free or low cost online fax services.

Now the plotters were a different story altogether. The official corporate position was that they did not support plotters, the geophysicists were supposed to look at the seismic sections using their monitors, and they did have some very nice large monitors for that purpose. But some of the old timers really wanted to hold a hard copy in their hands, so the individual managers would budget for a plotter. We had plotters all over the building there for a while. Then came yet another management shakeup, and plotters were deprecated so no one would buy the ink. We wound up with dead plotters scattered all over the place, still listed in the network printers but non-functional. Which led to a lot of confusion and complaints.

I always liked to print off a really big calendar, the whole year on one plot, about 30x40 inches and post that on my wall to take notes and keep track of things.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica

@stickguy said:
    I hated dirty stuff inside. That load would have been a non starter. It was so nice just brooming out all the dirt then hitting with the hose.

My wife actually texted me before she came home that mistakes were made. That took me 90 minutes to clean. This was a few years ago, it never happened again

@graphicguy said:
    Given I’ve had so much time while self quarantining, I have had the chance to listen to a bunch of my albums I hadn’t played in a while.

I want that turntable

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    edited October 2022
    stickguy said:

it should not matter Driver. The printers really just connect to the wireless network. I have mine connected to laptops of different brands, and my phone. But, never a bad idea to stick to a manufacturer you like and trust.

also has the advantage of being used to how they work since that tends to be the same across models.

I quit Epson long ago over the ink cartridge problems they have or was it the printer jet that was jamming in the printer. Said never again would I own one. The trick with blocking non Epson cartidges would be the last straw for me.

I had problems with HP printers as well, so I bought a Canon Pixar all-in-one for $59 and a Pantum BW laser for $59. Inkjet for longevity and laser for that top quality print appearance.
    Pantum cartridge could not be restarted after it reached its max number of page county. Bye Bye.

Just have the Canon which operates better on the network than the HP or the Pantum ever did.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,559
    stickguy said:

Downside to having a truck. Wife wanted to go grab some pumpkins to put out on the steps.

Looks like you need a stall at the farmer’s market. :D

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

I thought about setting up a card table and putting out a sign and an honor box, could have made a fortune.

could have had double this if we wanted (I had to cut the wife off). at least we did not have to pay for them, just go out into the fields and pick as many as we wanted.

stickguy said:

Ok, excuse my ignorance but what the h are those green things? I even checked Martha Stewarts 13 varieties of pumpkins and can't find those.
    https://www.marthastewart.com/2124321/pumpkin-varieties?slide=e79897cf-c18f-4946-8de5-ef20d8a74426#e79897cf-c18f-4946-8de5-ef20d8a74426

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    It’s a gourd.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,027
    I have never understood gourds.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,460

@kyfdx said:

My USPS package saga continues. After the trip to Louisville, it has made it's way through Lexington, and is out for delivery today in Richmond, five days after mailing it from 120 miles away.

On Saturday.

Going to a law office in downtown.

Sigh...

Wow. They're even delivering it on Saturday. :s

Here the small town post office employees are turning over and being replaced by

many with an attitude like the cashiers at a chicken strips fast food place---their body

language says they really don't want to be there, they don't like having to work,

and they don't like you, their customer.

Or maybe they just don't like me? LOL

————————————————-
    I’ll go with number 2. B)

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    called a swan gourd. they had a bunch of interesting stuff planted in the patch.

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    A shame really that the current workers don't seem to care about their jobs anymore. I enjoyed my 31 years at the post office & treated my customers like family. I enjoyed the work and always tried to do my best. So glad to be retired from there now but still have fond memories. Now in another facet of my working life as I went into the car rental business and am enjoying it. Only work part time but it's enough to be honest. Come this January, it'll be my tenth year in my second career!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

kyfdx said:

It’s a gourd.

OK, I haven't heard of gourds in relation to Halloween, nor have I actually ever seen one before. So i checked it out, in relation to Halloween:

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,290
    edited October 2022
    stickguy said:

Well now I have to stop complaining about all the pumpkins my wife bought yesterday. Thank you for letting me know it could have been worse.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

kyfdx said:

It’s a gourd.

They’re actually gooseneck gourds.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

kyfdx said:

It’s a gourd.

————————————————
    Those things are ugly enough to give a grown man the heebee jeebees. What purpose in life do they serve? :/

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    jmonroe1 said:

kyfdx said:

It’s a gourd.

————————————————
    Those things are ugly enough to give a grown man the heebee jeebees. What purpose in life do they serve? :/

jmonroe
    Yah, they're not even edible! They look more like Canada Geese Gourds :)

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312

My wife and I are definitely on the same page when it comes to cars; she and I both hate dirty interiors and trunks. And bless her heart, she dislikes minivans even more than me(just one of several reasons we chose to have just one kid).

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

tjc78 said:

@graphicguy said:

Given I’ve had so much time while self quarantining, I have had the chance to listen to a bunch of my albums I hadn’t played in a while.

I want that turntable

It’s a beast. It’s a late ‘70s Japanese Victor (now, JVC in the U.S.) turntable with an alloy tonearm with cueing, tracking weight, anti-skate and tracking angle controlled by magnets (fewer parts to grease and wear out). It’s heavy because the plinth is made of real wood.

I refurbished it, putting a step down plug on it, new electrolytics, better RCA and ground connectors on it, and installed a new Nagaoaka cartridge. Originally found it at a garage sale a couple of years ago. I’d put it up against ANYTHING new, at any price.

The engineering they put into this thing is remarkable.

I had problems with HP printers as well, so I bought a Canon Pixar all-in-one for $59 and a Pantum BW laser for $59. Inkjet for longevity and laser for that top quality print appearance.

Are you sure you didn't state that backwards? In my experience, a cheap inkjet produces sharper looking output than a cheap laser. But the inkjet printed page is much more likely to smear and not be permanent.

Or perhaps you meant the inkjet printer itself would last longer, not the printed page?

Work in progress.....

Speaking of printers, when I retired, my company told me to keep the printer as it would have cost as much to ship it back to the home office as it was worth. It's actually been a very good printer. Ink lasts forever. Plus, it's a fancy-schmancy auto feed/duplex contraption.....

For your gourd viewing enjoyment

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Nice Gourds :D

kyfdx said:

Where’s the other 40?

stickguy said:

kyfdx said:

Where’s the other 40?
    I'm sure I'll find them. Those snuck on to my kitchen table, since yesterday.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,220

Work in progress.....

Speaking of printers, when I retired, my company told me to keep the printer as it would have cost as much to ship it back to the home office as it was worth. It's actually been a very good printer. Ink lasts forever. Plus, it's a fancy-schmancy auto feed/duplex contraption.....

</blockquo
    Looks like a nice system. That audio system layout has “bachelor” written all over it. 😂

edited October 2022
    mjfloyd1 said:

Work in progress.....

Looks like a nice system. That audio system layout has “bachelor” written all over it. 😂
    No it doesn't, it has "recent college grad working at Starbucks" written all over it.

edited October 2022

mjfloyd1 said:

Work in progress.....

No it doesn't, it has "recent college grad working at Starbucks" written all over it.
    Allow me to disagree. To me, it has "1972" written all over it.

Don't get me wrong, 1972 was a very good year! But I don't think I want to relive it.
    jmonroe1 said:

kyfdx said:

It’s a gourd.

————————————————

jmonroe
    The purpose is to give a grown man the herbed jeebees…on Halloween.

Some people like to paint them.

jmonroe1 said:

kyfdx said:

It’s a gourd.

————————————————

jmonroe
    The purpose is to give a grown man the herbed jeebees…on Halloween.

Some people like to paint them.

————————————————-
    Ah, how cute. o:)

jmonroe
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889

Yessss!! Go Phils!!

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

@qbrozen said:
    Yessss!! Go Phils!!

They got it done!

edited October 2022

Just got this picture from out neighbor across the street. This was around 6 last night. Water has receded, but will probably will happen again tonight.

Our home is the third in the first cluster of three. Pretty sure everything is fine, but gonna try and get there today to double check and move my golf up up further and sweep the water out

• ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,190
    tjc78 said:

Just got this picture from out neighbor across the street. This was around 6 last night. Water has receded, but will probably will happen again tonight.

Our home is the third in the cluster of three. Pretty sure everything is fine, but gonna try and get there today to double check and move my golf up up further and sweep the water out

How does this compare to your typical full moon/king tides? Hopefully you have anything important high enough to be out of harm's way.
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2013 VW Jetta 2.5SE

Man I hate squirrels.

Man I hate squirrels.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

tjc78 said:

They got it done!

Nola was on a mission. And I believe that was Schwarber's 7th multi-HR game of the season. Oh, and Stott was a triple short of the cycle. Notice they gave him 4 straight balls way out of the strike zone on his last AB. No chance at going 4 for 4, so that's a shame.

Anyway, my son and I have tix for the NLDS on 10/14, if they can make it that far.

Proud of this piece. Operationally and sonically, very cool….
    mjfloyd1 said:

Work in progress.....

Indeed it does! Working with a local company who does custom woodworking for a nice walnut stand/decorative piece. But, he’s backed up. This will have to suffice for now. ;)
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,250
    @stickguy,
    At least your wife didn't want to to put this pumpkin in your Mav.

2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert