Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,547
    2,500#s is slightly over my GVWR for the bed

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,664
    tjc78 said:

Just got this picture from out neighbor across the street. This was around 6 last night. Water has receded, but will probably will happen again tonight.

Our home is the third in the first cluster of three. Pretty sure everything is fine, but gonna try and get there today to double check and move my golf up up further and sweep the water out

Where exactly is that located? I didn’t think NJ got hit like that. How high above sea level are you?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

Wildwood. on the inner side (bay/inlet not the ocean). down there, probably a few feet at most. Pretty common down that way, especially on the skinny barrier island towns just north of there where we go on vacation, for the bays to back up at high tide and flood out some of the roads at the lowest spots when there is a heavy rain.

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,922

Exactly @stickguy. We are extremely close to the bay on two sides and the harbor directly across from us. Some flooding here is normal, but not three days in a row. The rain has been for four days straight. They did a ton of work and installed pumps, but all it does is slow it down a bit.

We were fine thank goodness. Water came in to the garage about 2/3 of the way up but only about 2” or so. No damage luckily as we purposely keep everything all the way in and anything else is beach stuff that can get wet. The homes are built for it with all cinderblock walls in the garage.

There is an online cam that hangs on our rear neighbors house so we can check in anytime to see the status during storms. I am also going to it all cameras on my house as well.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

@qbrozen said:
    Nola was on a mission. And I believe that was Schwarber's 7th multi-HR game of the season. Oh, and Stott was a triple short of the cycle. Notice they gave him 4 straight balls way out of the strike zone on his last AB. No chance at going 4 for 4, so that's a shame.

Anyway, my son and I have tix for the NLDS on 10/14, if they can make it that far.

That sounds exciting. I hope they do!

• ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,195
    edited October 2022
    tjc78 said:

Exactly @stickguy. We are extremely close to the bay on two sides and the harbor directly across from us. Some flooding here is normal, but not three days in a row. The rain has been for four days straight. They did a ton of work and installed pumps, but all it does is slow it down a bit.

We were fine thank goodness. Water came in to the garage about 2/3 of the way up but only about 2” or so. No damage luckily as we purposely keep everything all the way in and anything else is beach stuff that can get wet. The homes are built for it with all cinderblock walls in the garage.

There is an online cam that hangs on our rear neighbors house so we can check in anytime to see the status during storms. I am also going to it all cameras on my house as well.

Willing to bet this is as much tide as it is rain. When I lived in Wilmington NC, I used to frequently see tidal flooding at Carolina Beach, on multiple full moons each year. That flooding, like yours in NJ, would almost always come from the sound side as the dune line protected the ocean side. Rain would make it worse, but it would still happen even with just the high tides and onshore winds.
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2021 VW TIguan SE 4Motion

@ronsteve said:
    Willing to bet this is as much tide as it is rain. When I lived in Wilmington, I used to frequently see tidal flooding at Carolina Beach, on multiple full moons each year. That flooding, like yours in NJ, would almost always come from the sound side as the dune line protected the ocean side. Rain would make it worse, but it would still happen even with just the high tides and onshore winds.

Since we have been there we only flood with sustained rains and a combo of high tide.

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,976
    tjc78 said:

@ronsteve said:

Willing to bet this is as much tide as it is rain. When I lived in Wilmington, I used to frequently see tidal flooding at Carolina Beach, on multiple full moons each year. That flooding, like yours in NJ, would almost always come from the sound side as the dune line protected the ocean side. Rain would make it worse, but it would still happen even with just the high tides and onshore winds.

Since we have been there we only flood with sustained rains and a combo of high tide.

Good, I hope it isn't as bad as it looks!

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

this video (gotta fuss with it to get it all to play, USA today is terrible) is where we stay on vacation. our house is 1 block up from where they are shooting from on the same main road (you can see our corner when they pan to the left at the end). that is one of the worst spots on the island for flooding too.

a couple towns up from TJC (maybe 5 miles?)

https://www.usatoday.com/videos/news/2022/10/03/ian-remnants-cause-flooding-across-parts-new-jersey/8165541001/

Yeah Stone Harbor is very close, just a few miles from the North Wildwood bridge.

stickguy said:

this video (gotta fuss with it to get it all to play, USA today is terrible) is where we stay on vacation. our house is 1 block up from where they are shooting from on the same main road (you can see our corner when they pan to the left at the end). that is one of the worst spots on the island for flooding too.

a couple towns up from TJC (maybe 5 miles?)

https://www.usatoday.com/videos/news/2022/10/03/ian-remnants-cause-flooding-across-parts-new-jersey/8165541001/

Oh man, I feel for you....that has to be an awful thing to deal with.

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    Guess it's the Wildwood that Bobby Rydell used to sing about.
    We get those King tides down here in the Ft. Lauderdale/Miami area from what I've seen on the news this week. The heavy rains just make them seem worse. We're just north of Ft. Lauderdale and were spared much of Ian's destruction even though we were in the "dirty quadrant" of the storm. It was pretty windy & rainy last Tuesday & Wednesday and really thought the power would've gone out. Luckily, it didn't but didn't get much sleep Tuesday night. They closed school down here for almost the whole state Wednesday & Thursday which was a smart move, as many of the schools are used as shelters for those folks that need to evacuate.
    I think most of America has finally woken up to the fact that when a strong Cat 3, 4 or 5 storm is approaching, folks in those low lying areas need to just leave. Just isn't worth the potential loss of life to hunker down & risk it. Just looking at Sanibel Island and the destroyed bridge should be enough to convince folks to just go when told to.
    And we still have another couple of months to get through. just hope those two storms out in the Atlantic either don't get to strong or go as far away from any land as possible. Not sure we can handle much more. The insurance claims will be outrageous from Ian and just wonder what next year will bring! I so want to move out of Florida but not sure where to go. Want a state that's good for retirees and politically in the middle to be honest, don't like extremes...be it on the right or on the left! Guess going anywhere is going to include some colder air in the winter something I'm prepared to do. But finding the best place for us is the million dollar question!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    edited October 2022

I so want to move out of Florida but not sure where to go. Want a state that's good for retirees and politically in the middle to be honest, don't like extremes...be it on the right or on the left! Guess going anywhere is going to include some colder air in the winter something I'm prepared to do. But finding the best place for us is the million dollar question!

Just off hand, I would suggest New Mexico. But I don't really think you (and most especially your wife) are going to move so far away from your kids.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,100
    New coffee maker saga

I've just about worn out my 2nd Bonavita. (Moccamaster knock-off). It makes great coffee, but some of the plastic parts aren't so durable. But, nearly 4 years out of this one, so not bad. I make a pot, every day.

The newer ones don't look as nice, and more plastic, but found one discounted to $100 (normally $150 on Amazon), so I ordered it. It was delivered this AM, and while unpacking it, I noticed that everything about it was not up to the quality of the previous one. Flimsy light plastic, much thinner glass on the carafe.

Within 5 minutes of unpacking, I managed to knock the carafe off the kitchen counter and it shattered.
    Back to the website I bought it from. No parts available. Another website: Carafe out of stock. On to the manufacturer website: Carafe back-ordered, shipping early November. Price with shipping: $47. :/

So, it's been a day, and it's not even Noon.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,944
    Our Ninja coffee maker has been the best I've ever owned, hands down.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,268
    qbrozen said:

We just got our second Ninja - the first one would act up during the brew process.

The new one won't allow you to fill a travel cup or mug directly - you have to use the carafe.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

Sandy, sounds like being near the kids will keep you rooted. The reason I moved back to snow country, something I never thought I would do.

Politics aside, sounds to me like you are describing northern Tennessee.

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,985

@kyfdx said:
    New coffee maker saga

I've just about worn out my 2nd Bonavita. (Moccamaster knock-off). It makes great coffee, but some of the plastic parts aren't so durable. But, nearly 4 years out of this one, so not bad. I make a pot, every day.

The newer ones don't look as nice, and more plastic, but found one discounted to $100 (normally $150 on Amazon), so I ordered it. It was delivered this AM, and while unpacking it, I noticed that everything about it was not up to the quality of the previous one. Flimsy light plastic, much thinner glass on the carafe.

Within 5 minutes of unpacking, I managed to knock the carafe off the kitchen counter and it shattered.
    Back to the website I bought it from. No parts available. Another website: Carafe out of stock. On to the manufacturer website: Carafe back-ordered, shipping early November. Price with shipping: $47. :/

Will the old carafe fit the new unit?

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

sda said:

@kyfdx said:

New coffee maker saga

Will the old carafe fit the new unit?

Yeah, my wife suggested that. Unfortunately, not. :'(

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

@qbrozen said:

Same

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,091
    kyfdx said:

"Reason for return: Carafe found shattered when box opened" B)

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

Save a lot of hassle by just not drinking coffee.

I make iced tea by the gallon. Just takes a normal handled pot and a $10 Rubbermaid gallon pitcher!

Michaell said:

The new one won't allow you to fill a travel cup or mug directly - you have to use the carafe.

won't allow? What stops it? My ninja doesn't have any kind of safety device. It will brew with nothing to catch the coffee, if I chose to do so.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

ab348 said:

kyfdx said:

I thought about that...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

stickguy said:

Listen mister, this is a family-friendly forum.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,268
    qbrozen said:

Michaell said:

won't allow? What stops it? My ninja doesn't have any kind of safety device. It will brew with nothing to catch the coffee, if I chose to do so.
    Our original one would do that too. Ask me how I know...

We tried brewing a cup directly into the mug, and we got about 1/4 the amount we were expecting. I don't drink coffee, I just make it for the wife.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

kyfdx said:

New coffee maker saga

Get a Mr. Coffee from Walmart. 25 bucks.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

kyfdx said:

New coffee maker saga

I drank crappy coffee at work for 30 years, because it was free. Now, I don't drink crappy coffee, if I can help it.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

kyfdx said:

ab348 said:

kyfdx said:

I thought about that...
    ....but am too honest. Although, might be justified if wanting $47 for a cheap carafe.

Speaking of which;
    We got our new HP inkjet plugged in.
    You get 6 months worth of ink cartridges free, and then for $5 a month you can get them sent to you as you need them, for half the extremely high MSRP that the stores charge...I heard about $50.

I couldn't hook up the wi-fi from my computer to the new inkjet, so I called the help line.

Of course they find some minor problems, and get it going. And then want to sell me a program that has added security and a 24/7 helpline that will save me from or fix any virus problems....costs about $100 a year for 3 years.
    And that is how the world is going.........try to hook you in so you can't go somewhere else, and they get a steady income stream.
    I think I'll buy some stock in HP, that is why they call it HP Smart!

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,392

@stickguy said:

You must be lost.

I have a Moccamaster that I got as a gift a few years ago. It is the best - pretty sure I could put in Folgers with a diaper for a filter and it would still taste good. Though my wife did shatter the carafe last week so that was an unexpected expense - was able to get one within a few days.

2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,279

@28firefighter said:

@stickguy said:

You must be lost.

I have a Moccamaster that I got as a gift a few years ago. It is the best - pretty sure I could put in Folgers with a diaper for a filter and it would still taste good. Though my wife did shatter the carafe last week so that was an unexpected expense - was able to get one within a few days.

That would depend on whether it was a new or used diaper …🤣😂

edited October 2022
    I'll admit, I'm kind of lost as to how the coffee maker is responsible for the quality of coffee.
    As long as the water is correct temp, it should be the same. The brand is simply the quality of the construction. If a brand has failed within a couple of years, I write it off. That has done away with Mr Coffee, Keurig, and Bunn from my shopping list. The Bunn was particularly scary since, when it failed, I found melted plastic on the bottom where the wiring shorted out.

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    I had a Bunn that lasted for better than 10 years. I finally gave it away after I started using a single cup K-type machine.

Keurig is over priced, and from what I have been told by friends and relatives, they don't last very long either. I am presently using an off brand, single cup K-type machine that I bought at WalMart 3 years ago for less than $20.

And the coffee tastes just fine.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica

@kyfdx said:
    I drank crappy coffee at work for 30 years, because it was free. Now, I don't drink crappy coffee, if I can help it.

There is a movie reference there…

• ventureventure Member Posts: 2,876
    I had a Senseo that used the actual pods, not the k-cups. Made a nice cup of coffee with that layer of foam on top. Mine bit the dust just as the news came out that they would explode (or something nasty).

I was able to buy 2 more on eBay before they disappeared or got way too expensive.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

qbrozen said:

I'll admit, I'm kind of lost as to how the coffee maker is responsible for the quality of coffee.
    As long as the water is correct temp, it should be the same. The brand is simply the quality of the construction. If a brand has failed within a couple of years, I write it off. That has done away with Mr Coffee, Keurig, and Bunn from my shopping list. The Bunn was particularly scary since, when it failed, I found melted plastic on the bottom where the wiring shorted out.

Proper temperature, and dispersion of water over the grounds.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Yep, moving away from the kids ain't gonna happen! We happen to really like them...and they us and I think it's because we don't intrude in their lives. We don't give unsolicited advice if not asked and if asked, we tend to be as honest as we can. We've got their backs, which they know, and we leave things at that. Guess it's also because we both still work so have lots of other stuff on our plates.
    So, guess we'll just end up staying put for the time being. Luckily, one of them will be coming in this weekend as I need some extra hands to go through the garage shelves & get rid of some stuff. Always best to have another few sets of eyes plus the added man power. I'm still not back to 100%, so need some bodies to lift, sort & throw away. Then, we'll need to wash out the whole garage like I usually do twice a year. Would still love to do that concrete floor coating but having trouble convincing the wife about how good it'll be if we do do it. Might just end up getting some dark gray concrete stain and doing it. Have done that twice over the years and it's definitely in need of a fresh coat.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

@kyfdx said:
    Proper temperature, and dispersion of water over the grounds.

I did mention temp. As for dispersion, I actually became convinced (by the ninja) that the cone-type basket makes it better. I never did understand how the flat type was supposed to be effective.

qbrozen said:

Starbucks has made billions off people who thought that coffee tastes better if you pay 5 times more for it. Perhaps I don’t have a sophisticated palate but all coffee tastes the same to me except for coffee that has been sitting in the pot all day.

Same with beer. I prefer the mutt brands to the fancy foreign stuff.

Don't drink coffee here, or ice tea for that matter. The others love ice tea, so I bought a Mr. Coffee Ice Tea Maker many years ago, and it's still doing great. My daughter brought home a hot pot for us, so she showed me how to make it another way and so far, no complaints yet. Besides my Pepsi, Hawiian Punch, apple juice & water, I make out just fine. I definitely make sure to keep on the lookout for sales when I'm low on Pepsi. Can usually find a "Bogo" or a special price at either Target, Publix or Walgreens. The key is to keep one's eye's open & pounce on any sale. Running out is not an option but especially now, it happens sometimes!

we gave up on soda years ago. Iced tea (I go through a lot of that) or water is pretty much it. or flavored seltzer, so basically water! once in a while when we are out (or stop a a fast restaurant) will get a soda as a treat. But only diet. sweetened soda, can't take the taste of that.

our new thing is this Sparkling Ice stuff. Lots of flavors and the only zero-sugar product I've ever liked (other than things that aren't supposed to have sugar, of course).

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,358

kyfdx said:

New coffee maker saga

Ugh.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,358
    My three drink choices are quality coffee, Diet Dr. Pepper, and Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale or Guinness Stout.
    That is all.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

DIet Dr. Pepper is one of the couple of soda types we will actually drink. I love it. That and diet Mt. Dew.

I’ve cut way back on the coffee. Used to be 7-8 cups a day or more. Now more like 1.5 in the morning and the occasional afternoon cup.

Other than that it’s water or plain sparkling water. Weekend evenings of course are for adult beverages!

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,091
    Looks like Toyota has finally figured out why the wheels were coming off its b4Zx electric crossover (what an awful name) and its badge-engineered brother, the Subaru Solterra:

https://www.autonews.com/automakers-suppliers/toyota-resume-selling-bz4x-crossover-ev-after-recall
    The defect stemmed from not accounting for the high torque exerted on the wheels by the car’s all-electric drivetrain. The wheels are attached with hub bolts. But even in low mileage use, the wheels can come loose due to vigorous driving – such as turning sharply or braking aggressively.

The problem was exacerbated from the extra weight of the EV’s lithium ion battery pack.

Maeda said the original wheel surface was too rough with wide variances in processing quality.

The fix involves adding a washer to the hub bolts and improving friction of the wheel surface.

The approach will be applied to other EVs in Toyota’s production plan, Maeda said. That would include the Lexus RZ, an all-electric crossover slated to land Stateside in first half of 2023.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

@ab348 So, ah, didn't their engineers catch that before the BZ-4X hit the road?

Pretty interesting