Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,543

Had me a brand new stent put in yesterday. Should be good for another 10 years or 10,000 posts. ;)

————————————————
    Sounds like you’re all set.

I heard if you use the right lubricant, read as a good bourbon, you can almost double that year and posting count. B)

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729

andres3 said:

henryn said:

Hurricane evacuation, a real mess, no easy answers.

In 2005, as Hurricane Rita approached the Texas gulf coast, an estimated 2.5 million people tried to evacuate. The result was sheer utter chaos. It’s estimated that more people died due to the evacuation than due to the storm. When you get caught up in that kind of unbelievable mess, you’re s_____d, period.

I knew several people who spent up to 24 hours caught in the gridlock. A nightmare scenario. I was living in Sealy, a small town 30 miles west of Houston, right on one of the major arteries (I-10 West). I volunteered in the relief efforts for the people stuck on the freeway. We were running up and down the shoulders of the highway in 4-wheelers, bringing water and food to people, and carrying some to the local churches for rest and help.

That reminds me of the Paradise, CA fires. A lot of people burned because someone thought Vision Zero was a good idea limiting/reducing lanes, installing obstructions, narrowing, and other anti-mobility features.

I wonder if any Vision Zero proponents feel appropriately guilty.
    I never heard of that. What exactly is vision zero?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vision_Zero_(New_York_City)

https://ww2.motorists.org/blog/countering-safe-streets-and-the-vision-zero-mindset/
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,975
    I got an email from Dicks Sporting Goods Store. I haven't been to a Dicks store in almost a year, and I don't think I actually bought something there, and they sure don't have my email address - and we don't have any in Canada. It said I had won a prize and all I had to do was click on the icon to find out what I won! Hmmmmmm. Strange, Dicks wasn't mentioned anywhere in the email address!

When I went to Dicks almost a year ago I was looking for tennis shoes. They must have had 50 kinds of sports shoes on the wall. A young kid - high school age came over and asked me if he could help me. I said I am looking for tennis shoes. He said, "Do you mean to play tennis in?".
    I said "No, I like to wear tennis shoes when I watch tennis on TV".
    He said they don't have any tennis shoes.
    They seem to like golf a lot....a lot more money in selling golf equipment, and basketball is big these days.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

Had me a brand new stent put in yesterday. Should be good for another 10 years or 10,000 posts. ;)

I have a friend in Florida who got pains in his chest on Saturday. It didn't get better so he went to the hospital. He got exactly what you did and was out in 2 days. The doctor told him, "Now you should be good for another 10 years", I guess they all learn that line at doctors school. They also mentioned that IF it happens again it will mean open heart surgery. He said it gives you a different perspective on life.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,081
    I can tell you it gives you a new perspective on heart surgeons. And not a good one.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,012
    My wife is going on 20 years with her stents. Hasn't needed any updates or additions. I'm sure the factory warranty has expired on them.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646
    andres3 said:

andres3 said:

henryn said:

Hurricane evacuation, a real mess, no easy answers.

In 2005, as Hurricane Rita approached the Texas gulf coast, an estimated 2.5 million people tried to evacuate. The result was sheer utter chaos. It’s estimated that more people died due to the evacuation than due to the storm. When you get caught up in that kind of unbelievable mess, you’re s_____d, period.

I knew several people who spent up to 24 hours caught in the gridlock. A nightmare scenario. I was living in Sealy, a small town 30 miles west of Houston, right on one of the major arteries (I-10 West). I volunteered in the relief efforts for the people stuck on the freeway. We were running up and down the shoulders of the highway in 4-wheelers, bringing water and food to people, and carrying some to the local churches for rest and help.

That reminds me of the Paradise, CA fires. A lot of people burned because someone thought Vision Zero was a good idea limiting/reducing lanes, installing obstructions, narrowing, and other anti-mobility features.

I wonder if any Vision Zero proponents feel appropriately guilty.
    I never heard of that. What exactly is vision zero?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vision_Zero_(New_York_City)

https://ww2.motorists.org/blog/countering-safe-streets-and-the-vision-zero-mindset/
    As soon as I saw the name de Blazio I knew all I needed.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

driver100 said:

I got an email from Dicks Sporting Goods Store. I haven't been to a Dicks store in almost a year, and I don't think I actually bought something there, and they sure don't have my email address - and we don't have any in Canada. It said I had won a prize and all I had to do was click on the icon to find out what I won! Hmmmmmm. Strange, Dicks wasn't mentioned anywhere in the email address!

When I went to Dicks almost a year ago I was looking for tennis shoes. They must have had 50 kinds of sports shoes on the wall. A young kid - high school age came over and asked me if he could help me. I said I am looking for tennis shoes. He said, "Do you mean to play tennis in?".
    They seem to like golf a lot....a lot more money in selling golf equipment, and basketball is big these days.

Click on that link and I’m sure you’ll be standing on the street wearing nothing BUT tennis shoes.

I’ve even noticed those scams in the comment section of YouTube videos. Supposedly if you comment, the creator asks you to contact him/her on What’sApp or Telegram (obscure messaging systems I had never heard of).

Then there’s the bank scams.

I guess I’m lucky to live like a troglodyte. I have no accounts with companies or banks so I know these solicitations are scams.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    venture said:

I hope you are feeling well.
    I am. PRobably feel better than I have for the last 5 years, or so.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    jmonroe1 said:

————————————————

I heard if you use the right lubricant, read as a good bourbon, you can almost double that year and posting count. B)

jmonroe
    Mr Monroe…I will try out your suggestion. Sounds like a good one. ;)
    driver100 said:

I have a friend in Florida who got pains in his chest on Saturday. It didn't get better so he went to the hospital. He got exactly what you did and was out in 2 days. The doctor told him, "Now you should be good for another 10 years", I guess they all learn that line at doctors school. They also mentioned that IF it happens again it will mean open heart surgery. He said it gives you a different perspective on life.
    True indeed…way different perspective.

My “old” cardiologist retired. The new one, who took over the practice, is maybe in his 40s? Young in MD years. I like him a lot more. He’s very transparent.

HAd a stress test done a few weeks ago. My cardio was on vacation. So, it was supervised by someone else in his practice. That guy sent me on my way and said I was “good to go”. Figured I was always out of breath due to something else.

My Cardiologist comes back from vacation earlier this week. He calls me and says he’d like to see me ASAP. I thought that was ominous. But, the “stand-in” cardiologist missed something that my cardio saw, and it was serious. This was Tuesday. My Cardio scheduled the angiogram on Thursday, and put the stent in at the same time. I was in by 8:00 a.m. and out by 2:00 p.m.

During prep, my cardio said there were 3 outcomes…..

1. Echo Cardiogram I had during the stress test was wrong (doubtful), in which case he finds nothing.
    2. He’d find blockages and have to clear it (them) with angioplasty and insert a stent(s)
    3. Blockages were irreparable and he’d have to rip out veins from my leg, crack open my chest, and put in the new plumbing.

First two were acceptable. LAst one, not so much.

He said #3 was MAJOR surgery and carried significant risk, including death. I told him I couldn’t understand how I could walk into the hospital and maybe be carried out in a box.

He said the plan was for me to walk out. At least he was honest.
    Be prepared I always say;

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    edited October 2022

driver100 said:

He said #3 was MAJOR surgery and carried significant risk, including death. I told him I couldn’t understand how I could walk into the hospital and maybe be carried out in a box.

He said the plan was for me to walk out. At least he was honest.
    He has a sense of humor.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324
    stickguy said:

Save a lot of hassle by just not drinking coffee.

I make iced tea by the gallon. Just takes a normal handled pot and a $10 Rubbermaid gallon pitcher!

I don't drink coffee either but it doesn't save me any hassles as I drink tea (and not iced tea). Actually I think it's more of a hassle as I usually have 6 or more varieties which may or may not require different brewing temperatures and while some are packaged in tea bags some are loose.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

qbrozen said:

I'll admit, I'm kind of lost as to how the coffee maker is responsible for the quality of coffee.
    As long as the water is correct temp, it should be the same. The brand is simply the quality of the construction. If a brand has failed within a couple of years, I write it off. That has done away with Mr Coffee, Keurig, and Bunn from my shopping list. The Bunn was particularly scary since, when it failed, I found melted plastic on the bottom where the wiring shorted out.

Starbucks has made billions off people who thought that coffee tastes better if you pay 5 times more for it. Perhaps I don’t have a sophisticated palate but all coffee tastes the same to me except for coffee that has been sitting in the pot all day.

Same with beer. I prefer the mutt brands to the fancy foreign stuff.
    You guys don't know how to make a pot of coffee, here let this guy show you.

https://youtu.be/tq7Si7cp2jM

My three drink choices are quality coffee, Diet Dr. Pepper, and Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale or Guinness Stout.
    That is all.

Thats four choices.

stickguy said:

DIet Dr. Pepper is one of the couple of soda types we will actually drink. I love it. That and diet Mt. Dew.

Give me some good old RC cola.

tjc78 said:

Pretty interesting

Who in their right mind would spend $100K on a seat massager.

Michaell said:

driver100 said:

How do you charge the thousands of cars in the traffic jam.?

How do you put gas into those same cars stuck on the highway? Gasoline is a finite resource, too.

I get your point, but at the moment, the percentage of the US fleet that is fully electric is miniscule.

Besides, according to the mainstream media, only the wealthy can afford EVs, so they'll use their private jets or helicopters to evacuate. :wink:

If only the wealthy can afford EVs, does that make me middle class with a PHEV?
    Or does the rusted-out pickup and old toilet on my front lawn make me some other class?
    Ever since I moved the toilet off my lawn I’m in a class by myself.🤩
    I took a sledgehammer to mine.

Seriously I did, they wouldn't take the whole toilet as refuse so I broke it up into small pieces and recycled it.

andres3 said:

driver100 said:

stickguy said:

speed limit does not tell you anything about the roads and traffic. The same speed on a rural interstate in Montana can be much safer than on a highway through NYC. so a country with a lot of open highways and light traffic should have fewer accidents than a congested one.

Yes, good answer. And the amount of training drivers have. German drivers are quite skilled, if North American drivers didn't have speed limits the roads would be extremely dangerous.

What about Poland? They drive a sublime 140 KPH and still do quite well. Are Polish drivers trained to German standards?

I don't think anyone in the US is really advocating for limitless speed limits just yet; but appropriate 130 (85 MPH) and 140 KPH equivalents would be nice.
    130 KPH is about 80 MPH

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,348
    I got a text this morning informing me that a body was found and a death investigation is now ongoing.
    Yay; that might well add to the 11 murder/manslaughter/kidnapping(presumed dead) cases that are already open.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

driver100 said:

Click on that link and I’m sure you’ll be standing on the street wearing nothing BUT tennis shoes.

I’ve even noticed those scams in the comment section of YouTube videos. Supposedly if you comment, the creator asks you to contact him/her on What’sApp or Telegram (obscure messaging systems I had never heard of).

Then there’s the bank scams.

I guess I’m lucky to live like a troglodyte. I have no accounts with companies or banks so I know these solicitations are scams.
    Next you are going to tell me that the email I got from Chase Bank using a gmail account regarding the checking account I don't have with them is a scam.

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    I was always cautious about opening email links, and I learned to become much more cautious. My former employer, before I retired 2 years ago, was very concerned about their security. They implemented a plan, wherein they generated fake scam emails and sent them at random to employees. If you clicked on the link, you were sentenced to security training, which was a pain.

And if you were an elevated user (admin or root privileges), the penalties were more severe. Much more severe, up to and including termination. Needless to say, being in that group, I took great pains to avoid phishing emails.

About 8 years ago, I started receiving phishing emails about my Chase account. I contacted Chase, reported the multiple incidents, and offered to provide further information including the phishing emails. Surprisingly, the Chase security team was not interested in any details.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
    henryn said:

I was always cautious about opening email links, and I learned to become much more cautious. My former employer, before I retired 2 years ago, was very concerned about their security. They implemented a plan, wherein they generated fake scam emails and sent them at random to employees. If you clicked on the link, you were sentenced to security training, which was a pain.

My employer does the same thing.

jmonroe1 said:

————————————————

jmonroe
    Mr Monroe…I will try out your suggestion. Sounds like a good one. ;)
    ————————————————-
    I knew you’d jump all over that suggestion. You shouldn’t expect anything less from a poster buddy. o:)

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)

I got a text this morning informing me that a body was found and a death investigation is now ongoing.
    Yay; that might well add to the 11 murder/manslaughter/kidnapping(presumed dead) cases that are already open.

My son had a dump of an apartment in the city but move out. There have been 7 shootings on his old doorstep since then. I am so glad he got out of there.

henryn said:

And if you were an elevated user (admin or root privileges), the penalties were more severe. Much more severe, up to and including termination. Needless to say, being in that group, I took great pains to avoid phishing emails.

About 8 years ago, I started receiving phishing emails about my Chase account. I contacted Chase, reported the multiple incidents, and offered to provide further information including the phishing emails. Surprisingly, the Chase security team was not interested in any details.

I always forward those scams to the respective bank/company but I’ve never heard back. It’s probably impossible to track the scammers or do anything as they usually are located in foreign countries.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,304
    @roadburner,
    You need Hieronymus Bosch.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    A friend lives in Saskatchewan. He said the distances are too great for him to buy an EV....there aren't enough charging stations.
    For comparison, Texas, population 30 million, 268000 sq miles
    Saskatchewan, population 1.2 million, 252000 sq miles

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,304
    @driver100,
    That's not a great comparison. Houston alone had over 2.3 million people. Dallas has 6.5 million.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert

@henryn said:

————————————————-
    That sounds very typical of folks that don’t want to know what they don’t want to know. After all they might have to do what they’re paid to do.

jmonroe

A friend lives in Saskatchewa

@driver100,
    That's not a great comparison. Houston alone had over 2.3 million people. Dallas has 6.5 million.

That could be explorer....I was trying to show that very few people live in an area the size of Texas. If he wanted to drive to another province, Alberta or Manitoba for example, he would drive through very remote areas where he would be lucky to find a gas station, let alone a charging station.

edited October 2022
    My son's EPS picks were once again right on the money. I think he will eventually wind up moving into sports writing full time.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

@roadburner,
    You need Hieronymus Bosch.

Solving the crime usually isn't the problem; it's finding witnesses and getting all the forensic evidence promptly evaluated. We have a couple of murder cases that were drug related, and we are trying to keep track of the witnesses and hope they don't abscond or OD. In another case, a police officer thought his evidence had been sent to the state police crime lab but it hadn't made it. I probably won't be granted a continuance so I'll have to dismiss and re-indict.

edited October 2022

andres3 said:

driver100 said:

stickguy said:

speed limit does not tell you anything about the roads and traffic. The same speed on a rural interstate in Montana can be much safer than on a highway through NYC. so a country with a lot of open highways and light traffic should have fewer accidents than a congested one.

Yes, good answer. And the amount of training drivers have. German drivers are quite skilled, if North American drivers didn't have speed limits the roads would be extremely dangerous.

What about Poland? They drive a sublime 140 KPH and still do quite well. Are Polish drivers trained to German standards?

I don't think anyone in the US is really advocating for limitless speed limits just yet; but appropriate 130 (85 MPH) and 140 KPH equivalents would be nice.
    130 KPH is about 80 MPH
    Close, but when discussing speed limits, as in upper limits, a 80 MPH limit would make 130 KPH (higher) illegal to drive.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    driver100 said:

A friend lives in Saskatchewa

@driver100,

That could be explorer....I was trying to show that very few people live in an area the size of Texas. If he wanted to drive to another province, Alberta or Manitoba for example, he would drive through very remote areas where he would be lucky to find a gas station, let alone a charging station.
    Valid point, which is why these broad government mandates worry me. I’ve driven many gas powered vehicles with a range of 400 miles or more and as I mentioned before you can always bring extra fuel with you. I’d hate to be traveling near Moose Jaw in winter and run out of juice.

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,933

Just a couple of pics from the local car show tonight to which my older son asked me to take him. I was impressed with the pickup build. A lot of work went into that. Not sure how I missed getting any shots of the 442 w-30. Oh well.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,977

Not a bad one in the bunch

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,977

Getting ready to enjoy a lovely Carolina fall evening. Grilling steak, vegetables, potatoes on the Weber charcoal grille and eating outside later. I love this time of year!

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

andres3 said:

andres3 said:

driver100 said:

stickguy said:

130 KPH is about 80 MPH
    Close, but when discussing speed limits, as in upper limits, a 80 MPH limit would make 130 KPH (higher) illegal to drive.
    I seriously doubt that anyone would be pulled over in normal conditions for doing 0.778 miles over the limit.

Actually 99.99% of the time no one will bother you for doing 80 in a 75.

Lets face it, in the vast majority of areas speed limit enforcement is a joke.

sda said:

Getting ready to enjoy a lovely Carolina fall evening. Grilling steak, vegetables, potatoes on the Weber charcoal grille and eating outside later. I love this time of year!

We are getting ready for a lovely Norther Illinois fall day and heading out to a scarecrow festival. Then maybe dragged out to do some antiquing.

Interestingly, this is happening now in the town I grew up in (which is about 20-30 minutest from where I live now. We grow’em big out here…….

w

andres3 said:

andres3 said:

driver100 said:

stickguy said:

130 KPH is about 80 MPH
    I seriously doubt that anyone would be pulled over in normal conditions for doing 0.778 miles over the limit.

I agree, 99.999% of the time 5 over will not get you pulled over. However, the kind of bad apple officer that will use the excuse of 5 over to pull you over is exactly the kind you don't want to be pulled over by; hence, the law should be fixed.
    qbrozen said:

Just a couple of pics from the local car show tonight to which my older son asked me to take him. I was impressed with the pickup build. A lot of work went into that. Not sure how I missed getting any shots of the 442 w-30. Oh well.

I guess the truck guys couldn’t figure out a better way to lower it. That sawsall treatment is pretty radical.

qbrozen said:

I guess the truck guys couldn’t figure out a better way to lower it. That sawsall treatment is pretty radical.
    I never cared for lowered pickup trucks. Seems kind of backwards to me. On the other hand, I don't really care for trucks that have been jacked up a mile high either.

@driver100,

I don't know where you got your numbers, but Houston and Dallas have roughly the same number of people.
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968
    Pouring here in the South Florida area just north of Ft. Lauderdale. Wife just came in my office to tell me our street is about to flood! Does flood pretty easily here but think it'll stop before too long. We're dropping my vehicle off at the mechanic's tonight so I'll pull hers back in the garage and put the Accent on my side. Hopefully the Golf will be home tomorrow all fixed up.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,513
    edited October 2022
    used the tailgate on the truck yesterday for it's intended purpose. Tailgating! worked really well. Took it to NYC for the Mets playoff game (I got nominated to drive). hauled everything no issues and got 30 MPG even with flying a bit on the highway, and way too much time stuck in city traffic.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

andres3 said:

andres3 said:

andres3 said:

driver100 said:

stickguy said:

130 KPH is about 80 MPH

I agree, 99.999% of the time 5 over will not get you pulled over. However, the kind of bad apple officer that will use the excuse of 5 over to pull you over is exactly the kind you don't want to be pulled over by; hence, the law should be fixed.
    "Fixing" speed limit laws isn't going to stop that kind of police officer.