Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,644

Congratulations! Just don't get snookered into helping pay for the wedding.

Maybe he can loan them his limo wannabe. :D

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,539

carnaught said:

@oldfarmer50, so we’re waiting for details and pictures…

It was an LG 24cu ft top freezer in stainless. Pretty typical big box stuff.

This one did have the twin turbos and a 6 speed though.🤣

————————————————-
    But what good does that do without run-flats? :o

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,507
    have not had discussions about visions for the event yet. That should be fun!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    Home Depot obviously does not tailor their advertising emails by region or locality. I have received at least 3 emails in the past few weeks advertising "We Found These Snow Equipment Options For You". I need snow equipment about like an Eskimo needs an ice maker.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
    henryn said:

Home Depot obviously does not tailor their advertising emails by region or locality. I have received at least 3 emails in the past few weeks advertising "We Found These Snow Equipment Options For You". I need snow equipment about like an Eskimo needs an ice maker.

————————————————
    Talk like that is probably the best way to ensure that you get a snow storm. :'(

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968
    I joined Twitter way back when and did one tweet...that was it. Didn't like the format, so never went back. have also given up on Facebook to be honest. Was a great way to reconnect with some old friends but then at one point, it got too weirded out for me. I had folks I'd never met before posting me & about me a bunch of nonsense. Got to the point where a couple folks found my home landline to call & say they were sorry! At that point I knew I wouldn't be around for long. I did deactivate my account at that point and did take a break for a few weeks. Felt wonderful really but after a good friend asked me to come back, I did. But even though I have an account now, hardly sign in to be honest as I don't have much to say. And reading what some old friends were posting about the last big election & it's sad aftermath, I found out that most of them had changed and it was like I didn't know them anymore. After that, found I hardly was signing in and that really hasn't changed. Did sign in 20 days ago for my birthday just to see who even was still on the platform & was surprised that so many "friends" no longer were posting. Guessing they got bored with it all like I did & also left.
    The funny part, I don't miss it one bit! Used to look forward to signing in after work but that's history now...just have zero desire to ever sign in again. The important friends know how to reach me, and me...them. And I feel that I'm not missing much anyways!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,975
    @Sandman6472
    Thanks for confirming for me that I was right never to get involved with Twitter or Facebook.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

Henryn, since you are the computer guy, gotta question for ya. I have all Apple products now, an iPhone 12, a newer MacBook Air and an iPad Air from 2015 I think, for all my computer needs. I mostly surf the web and maybe do some light banking and buy some stock every so often. Very easy stuff since I'm basically retired and like OldFarmer, work for Enterprise as a vehicle transporter.
    Is it safe to say that my current set up is fine for now & should last awhile? Thought about getting the newer iPhone 14 and a newer iPad but just wondering if I can wait a couple more years to replace them both? Only have 64 gigs on the iPhone and 32 on the iPad Air but using only about half on each. Just curious if having more gigs on each unit will be beneficial in any way or should I keep what I've got until things start to slow down. New tech isn't cheap anymore & for what I do on the web, not sure if it's even necessary to upgrade anything quite yet. Luckily, my kids have been able to help me fix any issues up to know as kids today seem to know it all when it comes to tech. Maybe it's because they were raised on it while folks like me had to read up & get help from them on most things.
    Thanks for any advice here!!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

Abacomike, since I live like 10 minutes away from your complex, was wondering if you could email me the name & number of your car wash guy.The guy I used to use has moved away, not good as he & his wife used to work together and do a great job. I'm over by Wiles Rd. & the Sawgrass Expressway, so very close to your development. I would appreciate it as all three of our vehicles need some help.
    Thanks so much if this is doable. Our condo was over in The Township when we first got married but with the third kid coming, a 2 bedroom/2 bath townhouse was no longer doable! Still in our house after 35 years with no plans to move quite yet.

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,507
    Sandy, I am not a tech expert by trade, but your stuff is all new enough that if it is working for you, no reason to trade up. Especially if Apple is still doing updates for them. IMO many people just but new stuff because they have the itch for a new toy, not because what they have isn't perfectly fine for what they really need.

hmm, sounds a lot like some people around here with cars.....

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,604
    stickguy said:

hmm, sounds a lot like some people around here with cars.....

How dare you.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,976
    @Sandman6472 - my daughter gave me my first iPad, many years ago. Worked fine for what I needed it for, but then I started noticing that I couldn't download some apps, and others wouldn't update, then I learned that I wouldn't be able to update the iOS version. That was when I decided a new iPad was necessary.

You can probably get along with what you have until that day arrives.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,900

@Sandman6472 said:
    Henryn, since you are the computer guy, gotta question for ya. I have all Apple products now, an iPhone 12, a newer MacBook Air and an iPad Air from 2015 I think, for all my computer needs. I mostly surf the web and maybe do some light banking and buy some stock every so often. Very easy stuff since I'm basically retired and like OldFarmer, work for Enterprise as a vehicle transporter.
    Is it safe to say that my current set up is fine for now & should last awhile? Thought about getting the newer iPhone 14 and a newer iPad but just wondering if I can wait a couple more years to replace them both? Only have 64 gigs on the iPhone and 32 on the iPad Air but using only about half on each. Just curious if having more gigs on each unit will be beneficial in any way or should I keep what I've got until things start to slow down. New tech isn't cheap anymore & for what I do on the web, not sure if it's even necessary to upgrade anything quite yet. Luckily, my kids have been able to help me fix any issues up to know as kids today seem to know it all when it comes to tech. Maybe it's because they were raised on it while folks like me had to read up & get help from them on most things.

I have an IPhone 12 Pro Max. My wife has a 14 Pro Max. Other than her camera being slightly better I see virtually no difference. Your other stuff is still new enough to be fully supported so I think you are OK. Once your IPad won’t receive updates I’d replace it.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

driver100 said:

@Sandman6472
    Thanks for confirming for me that I was right never to get involved with Twitter or Facebook.

Ditto.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324

I would say that as long as it's working and fits your needs there is no real need to replace them. But then again I am driving a car I've had for 12 years.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

The "gigs" that you speak of on the iPhone and the iPad are strictly for storage. If your storage is only half full, then you are fine just the way you are. By contrast, on a computer as opposed to a smartphone or tablet when people talk about "gigs" they are almost always talking about the RAM (random access memory) which is used by the cpu for actual computing, not for storage. On the computer, not having enough RAM can dramatically hurt your performance, but you're not going to have that problem on your iPhone and iPad.

Newer more expensive smartphones and tablets will have more RAM, but unless you're a heavy user you will never see any difference. I guess the biggest thing with more RAM on a smartphone is that you will need to reboot less often. And rebooting your phone once a day is not exactly a big deal.

If you are satisfied with what you have, then relax and enjoy. Use the money for something that will make a difference in your life.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,078
    I found with iPad (initially a work-supplied one, and after I retired one I replaced it with) that 6 or 7 years along, it (I think a 2012 version) became very slow to load and respond. I replaced the one that work provided with one I bought in 2018 and I figure that one should be good for at least a couple more years.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,964
    My original I-pad no longer accepts updates so it is miserably slow yet it still works. I think my current one is about 5 years old and it also can used in the car for navigation or general use away from wi fi. Sadly the battery life is becoming less and less. I keep the charger handy.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,146
    edited November 2022
    We mentioned computers again. I have noticed through the last couple years that HSN/QVC has often peddled laptops that are fairly weak in CPU power. They never mention the actual processor inside on the cable programs so people know it may be INTEL inside but it's a very slow version. They don't mention that the CD/DVD player is gone. But the hosts make the low-powered item sound like the best thing since sliced bread. Recently they were selling them in pairs.

But a couple nights ago QVC I think it was had an HP with Intel I5, 12 GB ram and 512 GB SSD along with the touch screen. Microsoft annual subscription Office was an optional 40$ IIRC for the first year.

Not bad computing power for a laptop. That one won't be too slow in a couple of years due to changing apps putting more load on the motherboard/CPU.

The model number is never mentions over the air, but on the website I found it's HP 15-dy5001ds. Originally offered in 2 screen sizes. I don't know how current that is in HP's online catalog. May be an outgoing model, but equpped well enough I would have bought it were I in the market.

https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/pdp/hp-laptop-15t-dy500-6p1s1av-1

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258

They just placed this Rolls Royce Ghost ll on display at the mall in Boca Raton. MSRP $460K +. Magnificent looking vehicle. If I had a couple of million dollars sitting in my checking account, I’d buy that car in less than 1 minute - it’s the only thing left on my bucket list!🤪😜🤓

2021 Genesis G90

2021 Genesis G90

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,930

Weird to see in a mall. Must be nice to be the dealer who can afford to leave that kind of money tied up in a display.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,975
    @abacomike
    That Rolls sure looks nice. I have the C250 in for an A Service. I was looking around at the few new and used cars they have around here. I wasn't that impressed with the MB EQ EVs, and I looked inside a Tesla suv and it looked pretty bare;

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

We mentioned computers again. I have noticed through the last couple years that HSN/QVC has often peddled laptops that are fairly weak in CPU power. They never mention the actual processor inside on the cable programs so people know it may be INTEL inside but it's a very slow version. They don't mention that the CD/DVD player is gone. But the hosts make the low-powered item sound like the best thing since sliced bread. Recently they were selling them in pairs.

But a couple nights ago QVC I think it was had an HP with Intel I5, 12 GB ram and 512 GB SSD along with the touch screen. Microsoft annual subscription Office was an optional 40$ IIRC for the first year.

Not bad computing power for a laptop. That one won't be too slow in a couple of years due to changing apps putting more load on the motherboard/CPU.

The model number is never mentions over the air, but on the website I found it's HP 15-dy5001ds. Originally offered in 2 screen sizes. I don't know how current that is in HP's online catalog. May be an outgoing model, but equpped well enough I would have bought it were I in the market.

https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/pdp/hp-laptop-15t-dy500-6p1s1av-1

That is indeed a very powerful notebook. At a very favorable price, if you need that kind of performance. Were I buying I would add the backlit keyboard for $30 and the full HD monitor for an additional $50. And the Wi-Fi 6 at $25 additional would also be worthwhile, and still leave you with a price of only $635.
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,136
    abacomike said:

Wow the top spec 7er really has presence B)
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    edited November 2022
    Apparently malls aren't so dead there as they are here.

Oh, wait, it's Florida.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    There are plenty of old folks around here, not as many as Florida of course. And the malls here are all dead or dying.
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,976
    henryn said:

There are plenty of old folks around here, not as many as Florida of course. And the malls here are all dead or dying.

We don't have a mall near my house - it's a "retail resort" (!)

Lots of empty storefronts.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

@cdnpinhead said:
    Apparently malls aren't so dead there as they are here.

Oh, wait, it's Florida.

The mall was jammed with people today. I took those photos of the Rolls around 12:00 noon. If you look closely at the photos you should notice all the people are not retirees - mostly vacationers for the long weekend. All schools down here are closed for the entire week.

2021 Genesis G90

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,385

I enter a mall on average once every two years. I had to go to one of our malls to get my son shoes for a wedding last week and have decided I can go another 3 before I return…

2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
    We went to Costco this evening to pick up some provisions and my wife started looking at the packages of ground beef and couldn't believe the price they were asking $55+ for about 5 pounds of ground beef. Yep it seemed like a lot of money for ground beef but it was a good price for the New York Strip steak they were labeled as. I wonder how many people picked up a package of ground beef without checking the price.

@driver100 said:
    @Sandman6472

————————————————
    Same here but that means there are thousands of folks that don’t know my favorite ice cream or when I woke up this morning or when I last went to the men’s room or what I think I’ll have for lunch or… Sometimes I think I’ve disappointed far too many people in this world behaving like I do but that’s life in the slow lane. :'(

jmonroe

@abacomike said:

————————————————-
    That color would clash with most of the walking shorts you have. I never thought I’d say it but it’s probably better to just stay with “old man’s gray” sometimes.

jmonroe

@28firefighter said:
    I enter a mall on average once every two years. I had to go to one of our malls to get my son shoes for a wedding last week and have decided I can go another 3 before I return…

————————————————-
    You must have the only kid with slow growing feet. I was never that lucky with my 2 sons. :o

jmonroe

@jmonroe1 said:

@abacomike said:

————————————————-
    That color would clash with most of the walking shorts you have. I never thought I’d say it but it’s probably better to just stay with “old man’s gray” sometimes.

jmonroe

I’d venture a guess that color knocks 10s of thousands off the resale. Probably why it is sitting there rather than someone’s garage.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

@qbrozen said:

@jmonroe1 said:

@abacomike said:

————————————————-

jmonroe

I’d venture a guess that color knocks 10s of thousands off the resale. Probably why it is sitting there rather than someone’s garage.

————————————————-
    Let’s just say you’re right. If it’s a lot queen that wasn’t ordered by the dealer (more than likely that isn’t the case with a Rolls but let’s just say the dealer didn’t order it) would Rolls reduce the purchase price the dealer paid for it?

jmonroe

abacomike said:

They just placed this Rolls Royce Ghost ll on display at the mall in Boca Raton. MSRP $460K +. Magnificent looking vehicle. If I had a couple of million dollars sitting in my checking account, I’d buy that car in less than 1 minute - it’s the only thing left on my bucket list!🤪😜🤓

_______________________________________________________________________________
    That's the way a single guy thinks. If I did that the very next minute they'd be preparing me for burial in it. :'(

jmonroe
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,900

I hate the mall. Once in awhile l will go to one of the department stores, but I don’t go into the actual mall.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

edited November 2022

@jmonroe1 said:

@qbrozen said:

@jmonroe1 said:

@abacomike said:

————————————————-

jmonroe

————————————————-
    Let’s just say you’re right. If it’s a lot queen that wasn’t ordered by the dealer (more than likely that isn’t the case with a Rolls but let’s just say the dealer didn’t order it) would Rolls reduce the purchase price the dealer paid for it?

jmonroe

Heck no. Someone ordered it that way (whether it was dealer or customer) and paid big bucks for that paint, I’m sure. For the dealer’s sake, I hope it was a customer who coughed up a large nonrefundable deposit. Lol.

No monroney on the dealer’s site, and no builder on the RR site, so I have no idea if that is a totally custom color or in the catalog. Seems like it might be the latter, surprisingly. I mean, I like it, but no way I’d get it on a half million dollar car with THAT much metal.

jmonroe1 said:

@driver100 said:
    @Sandman6472

————————————————

Same here but that means there are thousands of folks that don’t know my favorite ice cream or when I woke up this morning or when I last went to the men’s room or what I think I’ll have for lunch or… Sometimes I think I’ve disappointed far too many people in this world behaving like I do but that’s life in the slow lane. :'(

jmonroe

I know I’m constantly frustrated by not knowing that information. 😵‍💫

jmonroe1 said:

@driver100 said:
    @Sandman6472

————————————————

jmonroe

Being on Facebook is like being married. It's constantly telling you you're wrong.

@qbrozen said:

@jmonroe1 said:

@qbrozen said:

@jmonroe1 said:

@abacomike said:

————————————————-

jmonroe

————————————————-

jmonroe

Heck no. Someone ordered it that way (whether it was dealer or customer) and paid big bucks for that paint, I’m sure. For the dealer’s sake, I hope it was a customer who coughed up a large nonrefundable deposit. Lol.

No monroney on the dealer’s site, and no builder on the RR site, so I have no idea if that is a totally custom color or in the catalog. Seems like it might be the latter, surprisingly. I mean, I like it, but no way I’d get it on a half million dollar car with THAT much metal.

Color was $8000 and wheels $5000. Drop in the bucket. I’d still buy it as is. Normally you have to wait 6 months+ for an ordered car. In person, the color is gorgeous!

2021 Genesis G90

edited November 2022
    abacomike said:

Color was $8000 and wheels $5000. Drop in the bucket. I’d still buy it as is. Normally you have to wait 6 months+ for an ordered car. In person, the color is gorgeous!

That's shockingly cheap for options on that.

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,345
    edited November 2022

jmonroe1 said:

@driver100 said:
    @Sandman6472

————————————————

jmonroe

Being on Facebook is like being married. It's constantly telling you you're wrong.
    I'm on Facebook primarily to keep in touch with friends in the car enthusiast community as well as friends from high school and law school. It was also a huge asset in my 2018 campaign. My opponent and her supporters were so earnestly serious while in contrast my friends and I were just having a good time. For example, I named my dog as the official campaign mascot and I would post messages from him. Then there was the time that one of my opponent's friends referred to my supporters as "RB's minions"- everyone on my side immediately changed their profile pictures to minions.
    It drove my opponent absolutely nuts.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

jmonroe1 said:

@driver100 said:
    @Sandman6472

————————————————

jmonroe

I'm on Facebook primarily to keep in touch with friends in the car enthusiast community as well as friends from high school and law school. It was also a huge asset in my 2018 campaign. My opponent and her supporters were so earnestly serious while in contrast my friends and I were just having a good time. For example, I named my dog as the official campaign mascot and I would post messages from him. Then there was the time that one of my opponent's friends referred to my supporters as "RB's minions"- everyone on my side immediately changed their profile pictures to minions.
    It drove my opponent absolutely nuts.
    Thats pretty good, I am toying with the idea of running for Village Trustee when I retire in a few years and I will likely start a Facebook page and/or some other Social Media page for that purpose but as a personal thing I'm staying in messages boards like this.

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    sda said:

I read CR’s recent list of most reliable cars. No surprise Toyota ranked #1 and Lexus 2. Mercedes in last place. I find it interesting that Audi was #6 while VW was third from the bottom. Both brands use many of the same parts and have models made in Mexico. The Passat is VW’s most reliable model. Who knew, the Passat was the oldest model and discontinued.

None of my Audi's was "made in Mexico." Not saying they don't exist but I'd rather avoid them. My S4 has been Honda-like or better other than the "incident."

Gone Stage 1 APR now. Likely the best stage 1 tune for the 3.0 supercharged platform on the older S4's.

You don't want to mess with me at a stoplight now.

The VW Golf R's were always made in Germany; don't know if that's still true with the new 2022 generation and newer.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion

@qbrozen said:

@jmonroe1 said:

@qbrozen said:

@jmonroe1 said:

@abacomike said:

————————————————-

jmonroe

————————————————-

jmonroe

————————————————-
    Thanks for the reply.

I doubt that color is ordered very often. Still say “old man’s gray” is a better choice for all that sheet metal.

jmonroe

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    edited November 2022

The Stinger was doomed from the start. It was a very nice sport sedan, but you can't sell a car designed to compete with Audi/BMW/M-B out of a Kia dealership. My interest in the Stinger GT2 was totally extinguished by the dealer horror storied I was constantly reading about on a couple of Stinger forums and FB pages.

The General Manager (GM) at a certain Kia Dealership certainly lived up to the horror stories for me, claiming they haven't lost a single KEY FOB in 8 years.

I have a feeling he's telling people he still hasn't lost a KEY FOB in 9 years now; so you can't believe everything a GM tells you. :smile:
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    edited November 2022
    andres3 said:

You don't want to mess with me at a stoplight now.

I'm sorry my $10K bike beat out your $70K sports car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HHMA1Dpo5M

For all of you Led Zep fans, and I know you're out there ...