Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    I've seen that before.. it's great.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    edited November 2022

andres3 said:

You don't want to mess with me at a stoplight now.

I'm sorry my $10K bike beat out your $70K sports car.
    $70K? You are too generous; even brand new it would be hard to option up an S4 that high. For $70K could get a stock TTRS and do 0-60 in 3.5 seconds consistently on a wide variety of pavement.

I don't see bikes at stop lights often. Once in a while in CA I see a Tesla dart off from a stop.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,936
    The Passat will sprint 0-30 in 3.4 sec, lol.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,290

@andres3 said:
    $70K? You are too generous; even brand new it would be hard to option up an S4 that high. For $70K could get a stock TTRS and do 0-60 in 3.5 seconds consistently on a wide variety of pavement.

I don't see bikes at stop lights often. Once in a while in CA I see a Tesla dart off from a stop.

Up until last spring my bike was 0-60 in just over 5 seconds. However the bike has its power on the low end so the off the line acceleration is faster than the 0-60 time would suggest. Now this last spring I had to change the chain which means I had to change the sprockets. So I sprocketed the thing with a much bigger back sprocket. This killed the top speed (no big deal for me) but greatly increased the 0 - 60 time. I haven’t timed it but there is a very noticeable increase in acceleration.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,852
    edited November 2022

Good old EBay to the rescue. I wanted to add a zone to our whole house audio. In order to do that you need a small digital amp/controller that fits into a deep electrical box.

The manufacturer doesn’t sell direct and all the distributors won’t sell to the public. Amazon didn’t have either.

So luckily an EBay seller had one. They had it listed for $125. I offered $95 and they accepted. Win for all.

Now I need to look into some modest priced in wall speakers or I may just put a small set of bookshelf’s under the TV. This is only for background music. Wife didn’t like that the basement wasn’t tied into the first floor.

I’d love to have on the second floor, but getting wires from the storage room in the basement up there will be a challenge

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    I changed the oil as well as the air filter on the Club Sport today. Now that I'm using a BMW Mastercard for almost every purchase I have enough rewards saved up that it paid for the oil and filter(as well as a service visit last month for the X1)- and I still have $2,100 in rewards left. I was only out $12.09 for a Mahle air filter and $7.68 for a can of Liqui Moly Motor Oil Saver- which I bought from FCP Euro a while back.
    I wish that car wasn't so expensive to maintain...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,964
    So what's with Carvana stock falling 94% this year...but up 15% today?

It's no secret that Carvana is in the midst of a liquidity crisis that could force it into bankruptcy. On Friday, the company announced another round of layoffs, dismissing 1,500 workers as it seeks to cut costs.

Used car prices are falling sharply, leaving Carvana with billions of dollars of depreciating inventory, and interest rates are rising, making auto loans for buyers more expensive. In its most recent earnings report, the company said it has more than $4 billion in liquidity it can access, but some analysts still think the company could run out of cash within a year.

Continued borrowing may help the company survive, but that would only put it in a deeper hole and make it even more difficult for Carvana to reach profitability. It has lost roughly $1 billion in free cash flow over the last year.

As for Gill's stock purchase, his specific motivation is unclear, but generally, insider buying is seen as a sign that those who know the company best think the stock will go up.

Hate to see them go, they are a good option if selling....or buying!

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    driver100 said:

So what's with Carvana stock falling 94% this year...but up 15% today?

It's no secret that Carvana is in the midst of a liquidity crisis that could force it into bankruptcy. On Friday, the company announced another round of layoffs, dismissing 1,500 workers as it seeks to cut costs.

Used car prices are falling sharply, leaving Carvana with billions of dollars of depreciating inventory, and interest rates are rising, making auto loans for buyers more expensive. In its most recent earnings report, the company said it has more than $4 billion in liquidity it can access, but some analysts still think the company could run out of cash within a year.

Continued borrowing may help the company survive, but that would only put it in a deeper hole and make it even more difficult for Carvana to reach profitability. It has lost roughly $1 billion in free cash flow over the last year.

As for Gill's stock purchase, his specific motivation is unclear, but generally, insider buying is seen as a sign that those who know the company best think the stock will go up.

Hate to see them go, they are a good option if selling....or buying!

If it starts at $100 and drops to $6, then a 15% rise only takes it back to $7. It's inconsequential, unless you are day trading it.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

It seems that the big problem was buying cars at high prices when there was a shortage, and now trying to sell those cars when prices for used cars have fallen. The joys of trying to outsmart the market.
    It is one reason I like being retired, I don't have to try and outsmart my competitors, no dog eat dog world - except if trying to book a tennis or pickleball court, no trying to stay ahead of the trends, no worrying about interest rates..........I hope they find a way to survive.

I took the C250 in for an A Service yesterday and I got the transmission fluid changed...that's what youze guys advised me to do.
    I checked several sites which say that transmission fluid can deteriorate with time.....not just miles.
    When I got there I asked the service advisor and he said it is my choice, but MB recommends it be done after 6 years and the car is 9 years old. He said it costs just over $400 to have it done, but he has seen cases where putting in or repairing a transmission can cost $4800.
    My friend who has had several cars with more than 150000 miles on them says he has never changed transmission fluid and has never had a problem, he thinks I wasted my money.
    I am OK having it done, we have had the car for 5 years, it has 39000 miles on it, the only problem was a cracked windshield washer container that cost $350 to repair.
    The service manager said the C250 was just like a brand new car, everything is perfect on it.
    Another friend said he normally wouldn't change transmission fluid but he had a truck that was well over 100000 miles and the transmission went.....$5500 to replace with a used one.
    I guess it is like a maintenance plan or insurance against the big one...my plan is to do something out of the ordinary or extra about once a year.
    A Service and transmission fluid came to $900, but they have excellent coffee and cookies. I brought one home for MrsD100 - I felt a bit guilty bringing one home but a coffee and a few cookies when I spent almost $1000, it was the least they could do.

How did the fluid change go from $400 to 900? Did you have other services completed?

I read that wrong first too. “A” Service plus the tranny change.

Starting off the holiday season right!

@tjc78 said:

No, I am starting the season off right.

How my son and kick off the holiday season- Mrs. RB does not approve...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFXxTzFriTk

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,121
    @roadburner - what is the link to the BMW VIN decoder you use?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

Michaell said:

https://www.mdecoder.com/

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    I prefer the Jack Daniels black label to the Gentleman Jack. The Gentleman Jack seems a little too smooth to me, not enough bite, whereas the black label is just about perfect.

I watched Home Alone when it first came out, thought it was slightly amusing, but never had the slightest urge to watch it again. My holiday traditions include Holiday Inn and Christmas in Connecticut (the original, of course). And I don't start Christmas type things until next month.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,559
    driver100 said:

It seems that the big problem was buying cars at high prices when there was a shortage, and now trying to sell those cars when prices for used cars have fallen. The joys of trying to outsmart the market.
    It is one reason I like being retired, I don't have to try and outsmart my competitors, no dog eat dog world - except if trying to book a tennis or pickleball court, no trying to stay ahead of the trends, no worrying about interest rates..........I hope they find a way to survive.

Most business owners I know follow the rule that your first loss is your best loss, meaning sell it now at a small loss rather than later at a larger one. At least if car dealers bit the bullet and got rid of their overpriced inventory it would free up capital to acquire more at lower prices.

I guess some car dealers can’t stand to do that which is why you sometimes see 3 year old sports cars in dealer showrooms with the ADM stickers still attached.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

driver100 said:

I took the C250 in for an A Service yesterday and I got the transmission fluid changed...that's what youze guys advised me to do.
    I checked several sites which say that transmission fluid can deteriorate with time.....not just miles.
    When I got there I asked the service advisor and he said it is my choice, but MB recommends it be done after 6 years and the car is 9 years old. He said it costs just over $400 to have it done, but he has seen cases where putting in or repairing a transmission can cost $4800.
    My friend who has had several cars with more than 150000 miles on them says he has never changed transmission fluid and has never had a problem, he thinks I wasted my money.
    I am OK having it done, we have had the car for 5 years, it has 39000 miles on it, the only problem was a cracked windshield washer container that cost $350 to repair.
    The service manager said the C250 was just like a brand new car, everything is perfect on it.
    Another friend said he normally wouldn't change transmission fluid but he had a truck that was well over 100000 miles and the transmission went.....$5500 to replace with a used one.
    I guess it is like a maintenance plan or insurance against the big one...my plan is to do something out of the ordinary or extra about once a year.
    A Service and transmission fluid came to $900, but they have excellent coffee and cookies. I brought one home for MrsD100 - I felt a bit guilty bringing one home but a coffee and a few cookies when I spent almost $1000, it was the least they could do.

My son’s car had only 30k miles on it when my mechanic noticed the tranny fluid was very dark, so we changed it. We’ll do it again every 30k miles.

I subsequently saw a video by a Ford mechanic who recommend 30k mile changes no matter what the company said.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

@oldfarmer50 said:
    My son’s car had only 30k miles on it when my mechanic noticed the tranny fluid was very dark, so we changed it. We’ll do it again every 30k miles.

I subsequently saw a video by a Ford mechanic who recommend 30k mile changes no matter what the company said.

I spoke to a ZF engineer at a BMW Club technical seminar and he said that ZF recommended a 60k mile ATF change, even though BMW doesn’t recommend ever changing the ATF.
    That said, a tech that I respect wrote, “An oil(ATF) and filter change before 100,000 miles is a fair idea although most boxes still working at 200,000 miles haven’t had one. Personally I wouldn’t bother but it’s down to the individual.”
    Based on the fact that I tend to drive in an “enthusiastic” manner I follow the recommendation from ZF.

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,121

Michaell said:

https://www.mdecoder.com/
    Thanks!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

driver100 said:

Yes, A Service + Change transmission fluid = $900.
    Remember too, IIRC, Mercedes recommends changing the transmission fluid at 60k miles, or after 6 years. Evidently it is not just miles, but it is also time, they claim the new fluids break down over time. Everything I found on google after doing a few quick searches seems to support that, but most of those were dealers or garages, so I decided to play it safe.

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435

I look at it as what are the possible consequences of each decision. Change it, and maybe you wastes a little money (but will never really know). Don’t change it and it takes out the tranny maybe? So cheap insurance!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

And a Happy Thanksgiving to All! :)

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,465

@driver100 said:
    And a Happy Thanksgiving to All! :)

————————————————
    Thanks.

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. I like turkey when it’s cooked right and Mrs. j does it right. She uses one of those plastic cooking bags made for a turkey. She also learned long ago that if you cook the turkey until the pop up thingy pops you’ve over cooked it. She usually takes the turkey out of the oven about an hour before the recommended time which is before the pop up thingy pops.

I’m the turkey slicer in our house and I use an electric knife to slice it. When I see the juice dripping from the breast when I slice it, I know right then and there it’s cooked perfectly.

Over the years I’ve heard people say they don’t like turkey and I’m willing to bet it’s because the bird was dried out.

I’m looking forward to tomorrow.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)

@snakeweasel said:

@tjc78 said:

No, I am starting the season off right.

Can’t go wrong with that bottle!

or.......

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    edited November 2022

Quite a few folks on the Malibu/Cruze forums have changed their fluids well before the 100K mi nominal recommendations. They observed that the newer fluid (Dexron VI) seems to darken at low miles even though the fluid is fine. But a lot of folks change their fluid regularly (30-50K) because it scares them. Chemically I doubt there's anything wrong.

Note the trans in question is the 6-speed with no filter that can be changed externally. So the fluid is drained and replaced. I believe this is the 6-speed developed by GM/Ford together.

I had the dealer change the fluid on son's Cruze at 50K because it had been a rental likely in Florida with the hot conditions and hard driving. I now have the car and it's at 110K mi and I'll change it myself shortly. It appears I'll not be able to trade it soon to get something I'd want more. It's a very good car for around town.

On the 'Bu with 50K miles, I'll change it after I do the Cruze. I know the Malibu has been driven without transmission abuse all its life.

Cheap insurance as long as the proper OEM fluid is used, IMHO.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

@driver100 did the right thing changing the fluid. In his place i would worry that I should have done it if I hadn't done it. I have tires at half wear on the Cruze that is my go-in-snow car. So I'm putting on new Michelins Defender2 tires tomorrow to replace my current tires that are at 6/32 out of the 10.5/32 they started at (Defender H&T). They look good, but 66K mi and 5 years... and tread depth on new tires has much more depth.

I would have worried all winter if I don't have them replaced. Easy money. Thousand here; thousand there. LOL

Happy day to all of you turkeys.

oops I mean happy turkey day to all of you.

We got the message of what you meant to say: "I mean happy turkey day to all of you [turkeys].

@henryn said:
    I prefer the Jack Daniels black label to the Gentleman Jack. The Gentleman Jack seems a little too smooth to me, not enough bite, whereas the black label is just about perfect.

I watched Home Alone when it first came out, thought it was slightly amusing, but never had the slightest urge to watch it again. My holiday traditions include Holiday Inn and Christmas in Connecticut (the original, of course). And I don't start Christmas type things until next month.

My kids absolutely love Home Alone. It was also the last movie I ever saw in the theater with my Dad before he passed away, so it holds some sentimental value. Plus it’s John Hughes, which I’m also a big fan.

Surprised about Jack. I don’t enjoy regular Jack straight, but really enjoy GJ and Single Barrel. The Sinatra version is also amazing.

@driver100 did the right thing changing the fluid. In his place i would worry that I should have done it if I hadn't done it. I have tires at half wear on the Cruze that is my go-in-snow car. So I'm putting on new Michelins Defender2 tires tomorrow to replace my current tires that are at 6/32 out of the 10.5/32 they started at (Defender H&T). They look good, but 66K mi and 5 years... and tread depth on new tires has much more depth.

I would have worried all winter if I don't have them replaced. Easy money. Thousand here; thousand there. LOL

I am glad you said that imidazol. My friend is a little upset that I had it done.
    There are always other factors to consider too. The service people say time is a factor too, not just miles. If the transmission goes it is about 50 miles to get to a dealer...how much will that cost? And, we only have one car here, it will be a big inconvenience to have to have a tranny repaired or installed. The car is 9 years old, so what is the difference whether I do it now or in 2 or 3 years....I might as well have the extra safety and assurance the car is in top shape.

Regarding your tires. How much will you save waiting another year or two? At least you are buying them when you have more control over the situation. If you have a problem you may have to settle for tires you would not be your first choice. You may not have a chance to look for sales. You could have a problem at an inconvenient time.

My Continentals developed a bulge 3 years ago on Thanksgiving Day evening. AAA came and changed the tire for me. It wasn't a nice experience. I had Michelins put on and they are great tires...more traction, better ride, nicer steering, no flat spot after 7 months of storage, and the Conti's were 6 years old, the age they say tires can deteriorate. Could I have got another year out of them? I am happy I got these when I did though it wasn't easy finding a place to put them on Thanksgiving Day. It ended up being a really good thing. And the worst part about the Conti's were they could spin if there was light rain...these really grip the road. Peace of mind counts for a lot too, and avoiding the stress of dealing with an emergency situation like finding tires when you are on a trip or need to get somewhere. Buy with no regrets.

edited November 2022

Driver - you made the right call don’t let anyone tell you differently.

If I owned my cars and was keeping long term they would be done every two years or 30K.

@tjc78
    Thanks for mentioning that. I have found that trying to save money doing it the cheap way often costs more in the long run.

@roadburner said:
    I changed the oil as well as the air filter on the Club Sport today. Now@oldfarmer50 said:
    My son’s car had only 30k miles on it
    @imidazol97 said:
    Quite a few folks on the Malibu/Cruze forums have changed their fluids well before the 100K mi nominal recommendations. They observed that the newer fluid (Dexron VI) seems to darken at low miles even though the fluid is fine. But a lot of folks change their fluid regularly (30-50K) because it scares them. Chemically I doubt there's anything wrong.

Note the trans in question is the 6-speed with no filter that can be changed externally. So the fluid is drained and replaced. I believe this is the 6-speed developed by GM/Ford together.

I had the dealer change the fluid on son's Cruze at 50K because it had been a rental likely in Florida with the hot conditions and hard driving. I now have the car and it's at 110K mi and I'll change it myself shortly. It appears I'll not be able to trade it soon to get something I'd want more. It's a very good car for around town.

On the 'Bu with 50K miles, I'll change it after I do the Cruze. I know the Malibu has been driven without transmission abuse all its life.

On the ZF 8HP that is used in my 2 Series and X1 the filter is integral with the pan- so most everyone replace the pan when performing an ATF change.

@snakeweasel said:

————————————————
    Wanna try again?

Same to you and all of our poster buddies in here.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    I'm very conservative when it comes to maintaining our vehicles. I replaced the tires maybe a little bit early but I don't ant to have any issues down the line as these kind of issues usually happen at the worst times. Same thing with the battery and oil changes. Sure, waiting a bit will save a few bucks but hate it when things go wrong and I have to wait to be towed to the mechanics. I had Continentals on the Golf when new but am much happier with the current Goodyear Eagle GT's that are on there now. We had torrential rains on Sunday and the tires helped me when I had to make a quick lane change as some fool was about to hit me. I was able to get over to the next lane just in time but it scared the heck out of me. Luckily the Eagle's still have plenty of tread left & got me out of harm's way.
    Driver, don't listen to your negative friend here, your peace of mind is well worth the price you paid & now you know things are about as good as they can be. It's like paying for insurance, it's nice to have when needed but we hope it never will be needed! And hearing the service advisor telling you how pristine the 250 is after so many years of sitting unused in a garage is cause for celebration. It's a good vehicle that works well for it's intended purpose. Just keep doing what you're doing as it's obviously working!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    Thanks for all the comments about my current communication devices. Good to know that I can stay the course & not have to replace anything right now. Also good to know that when a device will no longer do an update that it's probably time to replace it. It seems that once one gets the newest thing on the market, within a few months, there's already something a bit better on the market...one just has to eventually jump instead of waiting or one will always be waiting! Very glad that I went from android over to Apple a few years back as I prefer the way Apple sends out updates to everyone instead of waiting on the individual company to do them. Right now, everything is seamless in that I can send a text or email on my phone while out & about and come home, get on my laptop, and everything is right there. Just makes life so much easier to be honest. And I only play on the web basically, maybe buy a few shares of stock here & there...nothing much really unlike my wife & many in here who basically go to work on their computers, they make their living on their devices.
    Happy Turkey Day folks. Since it's just the two of us today, two of our kids live a distance away and our other child is scheduled to work at the hospital today, we're going out for an early dinner. We've been going to a place in Boca Raton called Seasons52 which has excellent food and by the crowd there, others also agree. Think this will be our 5th turkey day going to this restaurant and they do a great job. Very festive & the food is great. It's also the one day of the year that I do have turkey and all the fixings! Usually have enough for seconds the next day!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

Just a few thoughts on ATF (automatic transmission fluid).

1) ATF does not "wear out" or "break down". The additives do, and that's what you have to worry about.

2) The color really doesn't matter. What does matter is the smell. If it smells burnt, you are in trouble and need to take action immediately. Heat is the number one enemy of an automatic transmission. Hint: It's not the hydraulic fluid / light weight oil that smells burnt, it is the additives. People who tow heavy will always have a temperature gauge to monitor the temperature of the ATF.

3) There is no way to replace the additives except by changing the fluid.

I do change the ATF, usually around 100k miles or 6 years, unless the manufacturer recommends sooner. And I do not go to a shop that uses a transmission flushing machine, those are quite controversial. I drop the pan, replace the filter, and refill with new fluid. This usually gets about one-half to two-thirds of the total capacity, but it is enough to replenish the additives, which is what you're after.

If you're not a DIY'er, then talk to the shop (dealership or independent) about exactly what they do when they change the ATF. Most shops will perform the service however you want, although they seem to charge slightly more for the pan drop vs the flushing machine.

I always followed a 50k transmission fluid change interval but these days everything seems to require more frequent oil changes. My son’s was a Florida car too so I figured the heat didn’t do it any good.

My dilemma now is when to change the fluid on the Mustang. I only have 16k miles after 7 years so if I wait until 30k it will be almost 14 years old.

Last year I change all fluids on the Chrysler at once since I had no service history when I bought it and that gave me a new baseline.

The cargo van had the fluid changed when I replaced the pan gasket 6 years ago. Haven’t put 10k on it since and since it’s my biggest hooptie I can be a bit negligent.

Honda often just does a drain and fill, though some offer the flush as well. I assume the Honda autos have a filter, so not sure why that isn’t recommended.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,029
    tjc78 said:

Surprised about Jack. I don’t enjoy regular Jack straight, but really enjoy GJ and Single Barrel. The Sinatra version is also amazing.

The Sinatra is better than regular JD (which I do not like one little bit) and GJ (which is better than regular JD because it gets a second charcoal filtering, but not all that great either IMO), but Sinatra is ridiculously overpriced for what it is IMO. When I was working for the liquor board the JD rep told us that it was regular JD aged in barrels with grooved staves for extra wood exposure, but was still just 4 to 5 years old. I find that most bourbon maxes out when it's aged for 7 to maybe 10 years and after that starts going the other way. You can get good bourbon for a lot less money with 4 to 5 years of age on it. I am a big fan of either of these from Evan Williams. Try them, you'll like them.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

@henryn
    Good info. Interesting to me and it makes sense that the additives breakdown over time and need replacing, not the fluid itself.
    I found this bit of information after reading your post because I wanted to know the difference;

There are two different types of transmission fluid services: one is a flush and the other is a fluid change. In the transmission, fluid is held in two different places, the transmission pan and and the torque converter. A transmission fluid change is when dirty fluid is drained from the pan, while a fluid flush is when fluid is removed and replaced in the pan, torque converter, and cooler lines.

It seems that if you do replace fluid on a regular basis, it seems 30 to 50k miles a change is good enough, if longer or if under harsh conditions a flush is probably recommended.

When I took my car in the young lady service person said they will change the oil and do the A Service, wait an hour, and then do the transmission flush because they have to allow an hour for it to cool down. When my car was done the service manager said they bought new equipment that flushes it out a lot quicker, so they were done about 40 minutes earlier than expected.

I guess if you are getting your transmission fluid changed or flushed, it is best to combine it with another job so it can cool down while they are at least working on the car.

ab348 said:

tjc78 said:

The Sinatra is better than regular JD (which I do not like one little bit) and GJ (which is better than regular JD because it gets a second charcoal filtering, but not all that great either IMO), but Sinatra is ridiculously overpriced for what it is IMO. When I was working for the liquor board the JD rep told us that it was regular JD aged in barrels with grooved staves for extra wood exposure, but was still just 4 to 5 years old. I find that most bourbon maxes out when it's aged for 7 to maybe 10 years and after that starts going the other way. You can get good bourbon for a lot less money with 4 to 5 years of age on it. I am a big fan of either of these from Evan Williams. Try them, you'll like them.

I don’t know much about quality whiskey or bourbon since my hard liquor days ended back when I moved indoors to drink. Back then we drank for effect not taste.

Now I want to give a good bottle of bourbon as a gift and have no idea what to buy. I can go up to $100. Any suggestions?

I have been given a bottle of 1792 Bourbon on 2 different occasions, by 2 different people. The bottle looks quite impressive, which is the number one consideration for a gift, and the bourbon tastes fine. If I were in your shoes, that's what I would go with.

@oldfarmer50 said:
    I don’t know much about quality whiskey or bourbon since my hard liquor days ended back when I moved indoors to drink. Back then we drank for effect not taste.

Now I want to give a good bottle of bourbon as a gift and have no idea what to buy. I can go up to $100. Any suggestions?

————————————————
    Oh boy are you gonna get suggestions.

My suggestion is to find out what the recipient likes and go with that. If they like what you can afford, then good for you. If they like rot-gut and you buy the so called good stuff it won’t be appreciated.

Now, to repay me for my suggestion send me a bottle of the good stuff and I’ll re-gift it to a snob I know.

jmonroe

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,029
    Bourbon is a bit crazy these days and prices are all over the map. You can pay $100 for a crummy bourbon because it’s trendy.

Blanton’s is nice, and the suggestion of 1792 is good too. Eagle Rare is really good but often hard to find. Bookers small batch is also very nice.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6