Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,463
    qbrozen said:

My weekend project. I built it just deep enough to allow a lift to be installed in front of it. I have the company who installed the garage doors a couple of years back coming on Tues to talk about changing the path of the tracks to go all the way to the ceiling. I have 12-foot ceilings so I should put them to better use.

And, yes, those “stairs” are very steep and narrow. Much more like a ladder than stairs, but they work great for someone 6’5” who doesn’t want to break out the ladder just to get up there each time. I had to work with the space I had. Ha.

————————————————
    I know you’re tall but those risers are the highest I’ve ever seen. I assume you won’t be able to talk Mrs. @qbrozen to climb up there to get her extra holiday dishes. It’s because of guys like you they have building codes. :)

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    jmonroe1 said:

It’s because of guys like you they have building codes. :)

jmonroe

that got a good laugh out of me.
    19" between steps. I figure it ain't a big deal to pull them out and let the next owners deal with using a ladder if that's what they want. :)

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,559
    carnaught said:

To be clear about the aged pint of Maker's Mark, I didn't drink much to begin with
    and then when I moved from Cincinnati to marry again, I didn't drink because it killed the allergy medications and decongestants I was taking for my year-round allergies. I usually imbibed that
    great tasting MM with Pepsi when I had a bad cold or flu. Medicinal use...

I envy those who can drink more and know a lot about the variations of firewater
    that's available. I enjoy the discussions here. Just for the record, my earlier bar
    drink was usually rum and (coke) Pepsi. Probably shows my lack of good taste.

I had a promising career going as an alcohol “expert” when my future wife ruined it by dragging me out of bed early every Sunday morning for church. Made it hard to sample enough to improve my knowledge.

I had an interesting mailer come today from the Kia dealer. I assumed it would be another recall notice but instead it was a “come on down” invitation to buy a new car. They claimed the shortage was over and the time for big trade in money was going fast. They even included a $500 certificate.

Could it be things are returning to normal?

Around here Kia dealers are still adding an average ADM of $2k to cars.
    So with my $500 certificate I’ll only be overpaying by $1500? I feel blessed.🤑

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,936
    edited November 2022
    I stopped by the Audi dealer this morning to see if they has some lubricant for the panoroof as it is making noises as it has gotten cold. They only had a huge tube that the mechanics use for almost $50 and takes like a caulk gun to dispense. I declined. They suggested the sunroof service which they did at 45k, 56k now. I will wait and try not to be annoyed each time I hear it make noises. Unlike last July when I had our last service and the new car lot was bare, it was full of new vehicles today. I think things are improving.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,221
    edited November 2022

@imidazol97 said:
    Watching the rivalry game between The Ohio State University and University of Michigan.

I may have to break out my 25 year old pint of Maker's Mark with all this talk on
    here about firewater

Day’s record vs UMich is not so good currently. The fan base has to be unhappy…. Clearly the defensive coordinator was only concerned with stopping the run.

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    sda said:

I stopped by the Audi dealer this morning to see if they has some lubricant for the panoroof as it is making noises as it has gotten cold. They only had a huge tube that the mechanics use for almost $50 and takes like a caulk gun to dispense. I declined. They suggested the sunroof service which they did at 45k, 56k now. I will wait and try not to be annoyed each time I hear it make noises. Unlike last July when I had our last service and the new car lot was bare, it was full of new vehicles today. I think things are improving.

The two dealers I checked out yesterday had decent new inventory.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,029
    Two refrigerators? What is the name of the restaurant on the other side of that wall? :p

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

@ab348 said:
    Two refrigerators? What is the name of the restaurant on the other side of that wall? :p

One is a freezer. ;b

We keep WAYYY too much food in this house. It is ridiculous.

The fridge there is 75% drinks.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,852
    edited November 2022

Q, I absolutely love this. I may do something similar at some point in our garage. I have plenty of height as well.

We only have one fridge at the home and if we weren’t down the shore so much it would never work. We do have two down there. The garage one is mainly for drinks and ice.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,964
    @qbrozen Good, but how do you find something if you need it?

I'd end up buying a new one, easier than spending hours looking for it.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

qbrozen said:

@ab348 said:

One is a freezer. ;b

We keep WAYYY too much food in this house. It is ridiculous.

The fridge there is 75% drinks.

————————————————-
    I was sure you were going to say the name of the restaurant was, “Growing Teenagers”.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    driver100 said:

————————————————-
    And such is the life of a retired rich Canadian book salesman.

jmonroe
  • henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    sda said:

Panoroof -- that's like a sunroof, only bigger, right? I would think a quick shot of silicone spray should do the trick.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
    Sorry, I had to show it;

The tennis guys were talking about cars after tennis. One guy makes a few trips North to Ohio a few times a year.....he said his trip is 1200 miles, he would have to stop 5 times each way to charge up. Another guy has an F-150 and tows his large boat etc....he wants a diesel for towing power. One guy lives out in the country in Maine...he doesn't want to get stuck on a country road somewhere.

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

————————————————-
    And such is the life of a retired rich Canadian book salesman.

jmonroe
    You probably earned more than twice as much as I did except after I got canned at age 46 and started our own company. :s

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    Growing up, we had a large fridge & freezer down stairs as besides the folks & 4 kids, my maternal grandparents were over, a lot, plus we had a live-in maid much of the time. Went through a lot of food so they were needed. Had a large house also, a 5/3 but unfortunately, I had to share a room with my twin brother until we moved to Florida.
    My kids were small eaters so never had the need for a fridge or freezer in the garage and ours is pretty clean with stuff on the shelving we had installed once we moved in, chairs and bikes hung on hooks on the wall or from the ceiling with both vehicles parked inside whenever home. Wish we had the lawn space out front for a circular driveway but being on a cul-de-sac, our pie shaped front is just too small for one.
    Our neighbors had a major leak so are doing a large renovation. A package for them was dropped off at our place late Friday, so I brought it over. She told me to come in among all he construction mess and showed me what they were doing. Total open concept as all the kitchen walls are now gone. It's the same configuration as our place only swapped directions. Was blown away with what they've done...doesn't look like the same house! They even had enough room for a larger island in the center with seating so no kitchen table needed like we have. Very impressive open concept design with much more room to move around. Bet they've spent easily $60K right now and not totally finished. It's the third time it's been remolded while ours is original save for the guest bathroom we did back in 2009. Saw a lot of stuff I'd like to do but won't since we won't be here long enough to either enjoy it or even afford it. Just shows what spending a whole lot of money will do! Totally happy for them since they're a young family with a young child & another on the way it turns out. She wants three like we have she mentioned and I wished her well.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    I have really high ceilings in the garage so a loft would be easy to do. the problem is, the dimensions are tight so I don't have anyplace to put the interior legs!

I am considering getting one of the setups where you put some frames on the walls, and hang the extended part from the ceiling with cables, so nothing extends to the floor. Though with a giant shed and big basement, I really don't have that much to even put up there (plus the shed actually has a big loft too).

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

had a good Maverick day. stopped to buy an Xmas tree at the tree farm (man, what a zoo) and when I was standing next to the Mav waiting for the wife, a guy that parked across the row stopped and said he wanted one and he asked how I liked it. and he had a nearly new F150 FX4.

then at the end, I just tossed the tree in the back and let it hang out over the closed tailgate, and rolled the cover back as far as I could, and drove it home no issues. the assortment of needles is now safely in the bad waiting to get broomed and hosed out, instead of stuck all over the inside of the car, and not scratches and sap on the roof. a much better solution!

then at the mall, walked past another one the same color as mine. a rare occurrence.

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,290
    stickguy said:

had a good Maverick day. stopped to buy an Xmas tree at the tree farm (man, what a zoo) and when I was standing next to the Mav waiting for the wife, a guy that parked across the row stopped and said he wanted one and he asked how I liked it. and he had a nearly new F150 FX4.

then at the end, I just tossed the tree in the back and let it hang out over the closed tailgate, and rolled the cover back as far as I could, and drove it home no issues. the assortment of needles is now safely in the bad waiting to get broomed and hosed out, instead of stuck all over the inside of the car, and not scratches and sap on the roof. a much better solution!

then at the mall, walked past another one the same color as mine. a rare occurrence.

We have solved the Christmas Tree issue. We use artificial trees, yes trees as in plural. We have one in the family room, one in the living room and one in our bedroom. If my wife keeps this up we will have a forest every Christmas in retirement.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

stickguy said:

I have really high ceilings in the garage so a loft would be easy to do. the problem is, the dimensions are tight so I don't have anyplace to put the interior legs!

I am considering getting one of the setups where you put some frames on the walls, and hang the extended part from the ceiling with cables, so nothing extends to the floor. Though with a giant shed and big basement, I really don't have that much to even put up there (plus the shed actually has a big loft too).

Why not one of these?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

stickguy said:

Why not one of these?

The house at the end of the block that I live on has something like that.

• dad23dad23 Member Posts: 866

Saw some eye candy this afternoon,

also, what say the experts here, original Maverick?

I don't think I have the width to pull that off. it's tricky enough getting the doors open without hitting anything!

I like that blue Maverick. Definitely not stock underneath! Cooler than the C8. certainly more unique.

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    Back in the 90's, there was a guy in my subdivision who had a lift somewhat similar to that. It lifted from the 4 corners, so you could get underneath to work on the car (very handy), and when you weren't working under there, you could park another car. A very efficient use of space.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica

stickguy said:

We have solved the Christmas Tree issue. We use artificial trees, yes trees as in plural. We have one in the family room, one in the living room and one in our bedroom. If my wife keeps this up we will have a forest every Christmas in retirement.
    we had a nice 8.5' artificial for a good 20 years at the old place. we gave that away when we moved, since it was a little beat up but mostly very bulky and heavy. so, we needed a new one and decided to give real another chance. though after finding out how much they cost now, might have been a bad idea! might go back to phony in the future.'

the wife does want to get a smaller artificial tree for the front room to go in front of the window on the street (her office). and might get a 2nd for the basement where my office is. so quite likely we end up with at least 3 trees also.

stickguy said:

I like that blue Maverick. Definitely not stock underneath! Cooler than the C8. certainly more unique.

I'm guessing that you have never driven a Maverick of that vintage.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

stickguy said:

Why not one of these?

Prices on those are pretty darned excessive. I'm planning on getting a couple of these.

edited November 2022
    A friend from hs had a basic black 71 Maverick 2dr with the base goldish and black cloth interior. I think it was a 200 six, auto. He used to scare me half to death in that thing. It wasn’t fast but that didn’t keep him from driving it at insane speeds on the rural poorly maintained roads of Va. More than once I thought we would slice a utility pole with bad results. I bought my 62 Ford from him, lol. Both the 62 and 71 were his grandmother’s which she gave him before she passed. No vintage Maverick for me, no sir.

My 73 Maverick was an OK car in it's time.......it was a 302 V8.
    I really didn't know anything different and it was my first new car, so I liked it and didn't know any better.
    It looked kind of like this...but with stock wheels;

back in the 70's/early 80's, I had a Duster, Gremlin, and a Hornet. My standards are, let's just say, "fluid".

but any car I got from back in the day would be getting some level of resto mod upgrades. I assume a Maverick would work with an assortment of mustang upgrade goodies, and there are plenty of those out there! brakes, suspension, and definitely seats!

Having been subjected to driving a 1974 Maverick LDO V8 through high school and college, the only good thing I can say about it was that it motivated me to be financially successful- so that I would never EVER have to drive such a miserable excuse for an automobile again.

stickguy said:
    This is one of the latest Hot Wheels I've picked up; the closest I'll likely get to own a real one...

I love those. it will never be in my budget. unlike a clapped out 72 Maverick, which will be.

edited November 2022
    stickguy said:

I love those. it will never be in my budget. unlike a clapped out 72 Maverick, which will be.

Here is one that's avoidable if you want to take the chance.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/8b5d8a78-bbd9-4239-9def-eb82671ffc7c/

different gen. But looks halfway decent, stiff miles though. I suspect that has a lot of deferred needs. but should be fun to drive.

stickguy said:

stickguy said:

we had a nice 8.5' artificial for a good 20 years at the old place. we gave that away when we moved, since it was a little beat up but mostly very bulky and heavy. so, we needed a new one and decided to give real another chance. though after finding out how much they cost now, might have been a bad idea! might go back to phony in the future.'

the wife does want to get a smaller artificial tree for the front room to go in front of the window on the street (her office). and might get a 2nd for the basement where my office is. so quite likely we end up with at least 3 trees also.
    My heart goes out to Christmas tree growers. Back when I was young and foolish I twice planted a few thousand Douglas Fir trees on my back hillside only to have deer destroy them each time. I only salvaged a few dozen for personal use which I harvested up until recently.

I thought it would be a good experience for the kids to help me harvest them each year but I discovered that they had no interest in a Norman Rockwell bonding adventure.

Need some expert advice. Daughter needs a dash cam that is affordable. Hopefully that does not need to be hard wired in. It’s needed for when she is parked and the person who parks above her needs to move her car. So something that can shoot forward and back to show who is driving, and if they hit anything. Would need to turn on automatically when car is turned on. Don’t need super fancy resolution, just basic functions.

Can anybody recommend a particular unit (links if you got them!) And anything to watch out for? And opinions on just plugging it into the 12v outlet vs needing professional installing to a power source?

XM must be getting more desperate, I got this offer after having my car serviced at an MB dealership;

As a special thanks for getting your 2014 Mercedes-Benz C-Class serviced, SiriusXM and your service center would like to give you 3 months free on the SXM App — no credit card required. Just click below to confirm your email and activate your trial.

They only ask that they can send me emails as much as they want. I don't even know if it will work on a 2014 base model C250. Probably it would just complicate my life! :s

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    driver100 said:

XM must be getting more desperate, I got this offer after having my car serviced at an MB dealership;

As a special thanks for getting your 2014 Mercedes-Benz C-Class serviced, SiriusXM and your service center would like to give you 3 months free on the SXM App — no credit card required. Just click below to confirm your email and activate your trial.

They only ask that they can send me emails as much as they want. I don't even know if it will work on a 2014 base model C250. Probably it would just complicate my life! :s

I got the same thing after having my VW serviced. Easy peasy..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Sounds like they just mean on the streaming app. You can listen to XM on your computer too. They even offer a lot more stations and you can make playlists. Like Spotify or pandora. They just want to get you hooked then upsell you to paying for it (and adding to your car which still needs the equipment to integrate into the audio system). Though you could stream in the car also if you have Bluetooth.

Going in the opposite direction here, does anyone have the Ninja Foodie Air Fry countertop model? Daughter has one and loves it so now the other half is interested. Guess the plan to replace the stove/oven combo has been put on permanent hold for some reason. Saw a unit on QVC last night but the kid looked on Amazon.com for us where she got hers. Just curious what others in here have. Also, really need to clean the oven even though the self cleaning part of it died years ago. Might have to get some oven cleaner and get down there and do it. Problem is, I might not be able to get back up! Not as limber as I used to be.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

@sda said:
    A friend from hs had a basic black 71 Maverick 2dr with the base goldish and black cloth interior. I think it was a 200 six, auto. He used to scare me half to death in that thing. It wasn’t fast but that didn’t keep him from driving it at insane speeds on the rural poorly maintained roads of Va. More than once I thought we would slice a utility pole with bad results. I bought my 62 Ford from him, lol. Both the 62 and 71 were his grandmother’s which she gave him before she passed. No vintage Maverick for me, no sir.

Funny thing; my college girlfriend(AKA: the Beautiful Bipolar Redhead) had a 1974 Maverick with the six cylinder. She copied her driving style from Burt Reynolds in Smokey and the Bandit. More than once she spun it- once into a front yard.

stickguy said:

Sounds like they just mean on the streaming app. You can listen to XM on your computer too. They even offer a lot more stations and you can make playlists. Like Spotify or pandora. They just want to get you hooked then upsell you to paying for it (and adding to your car which still needs the equipment to integrate into the audio system). Though you could stream in the car also if you have Bluetooth.

Bluetooth! I have bluetooth but my phone plan in Florida costs $3 a month, I think I am allowed 30 minutes of calling or texts. I probably use about 10 minutes a month max. No data.
    On the computer at home I have Alexa nearby if I need music, and in Florida MrsD100's computer is nearby....she can't concentrate if I have music on.
    Under the right conditions, the offer would be great, I'd have free XM for 3 months out of 5 while in Florida.

@Sandman6472 said:
    Going in the opposite direction here, does anyone have the Ninja Foodie Air Fry countertop model? Daughter has one and loves it so now the other half is interested. Guess the plan to replace the stove/oven combo has been put on permanent hold for some reason. Saw a unit on QVC last night but the kid looked on Amazon.com for us where she got hers. Just curious what others in here have. Also, really need to clean the oven even though the self cleaning part of it died years ago. Might have to get some oven cleaner and get down there and do it. Problem is, I might not be able to get back up! Not as limber as I used to be.

We have this one. Works great! Pretty sure it’s discontinued now, but there is a new version

RE: Christmas Trees

5 at home (family room, Living Room, Morning room and two in basement)

2 at the shore.

All fake and overkill!!

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    driver100 said:

stickguy said:

Bluetooth! I have bluetooth but my phone plan in Florida costs $3 a month, I think I am allowed 30 minutes of calling or texts. I probably use about 10 minutes a month max. No data.
    On the computer at home I have Alexa nearby if I need music, and in Florida MrsD100's computer is nearby....she can't concentrate if I have music on.
    Under the right conditions, the offer would be great, I'd have free XM for 3 months out of 5 while in Florida.
    Is your car equipped with the SiriusXM receiver? Is that an option on your audio? I'll guess it is, otherwise you wouldn't have received the offer, related to your vehicle service. It's easy to sign up, no credit card required. I did it in five minutes

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Having been subjected to driving a 1974 Maverick LDO V8 through high school and college, the only good thing I can say about it was that it motivated me to be financially successful- so that I would never EVER have to drive such a miserable excuse for an automobile again.

At least you had a 'V-8'! And the Maverick/Comet morphed into the Granada/Monarch. Nice

Sirius/XM was pretty easy to set up and we both still like it. I listen in the house all the time which is cool. Have it linked to a c c but always call before the year is up to get the better price. If that ever goes away, will just cancel and use what I've got on my phone and flash drive From what I hear, Spotify is a decent alternative so think we're covered. But think Sirius/XM did the best thing so they'll have plenty of listeners at this lower price on more devices. Really a win/win for rveryone to be honest. And I do like a bunch of the channels so I surf a bit.