Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,034

Having been subjected to driving a 1974 Maverick LDO V8 through high school and college, the only good thing I can say about it was that it motivated me to be financially successful- so that I would never EVER have to drive such a miserable excuse for an automobile again.

This was my university car, also a '74 Maverick LDO but with the 250 6-cylinder "Big Six" as Ford laughingly termed it. It needed to be repainted less than 3 years after we bought it new and have some rust holes repaired at the same time. But that didn't stop the rust and by the time we got rid of it it in the late '70s it was full of holes. The rust was not the reason that it drove horribly at any speed over 55mph though. Terrible car.

I found these pics a few years ago.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,964
    kyfdx said:

driver100 said:

stickguy said:

Sounds like they just mean on the streaming app. You can listen to XM on your computer too. They even offer a lot more stations and you can make playlists. Like Spotify or pandora. They just want to get you hooked then upsell you to paying for it (and adding to your car which still needs the equipment to integrate into the audio system). Though you could stream in the car also if you have Bluetooth.

Bluetooth! I have bluetooth but my phone plan in Florida costs $3 a month, I think I am allowed 30 minutes of calling or texts. I probably use about 10 minutes a month max. No data.
    On the computer at home I have Alexa nearby if I need music, and in Florida MrsD100's computer is nearby....she can't concentrate if I have music on.
    Under the right conditions, the offer would be great, I'd have free XM for 3 months out of 5 while in Florida.
    Is your car equipped with the SiriusXM receiver? Is that an option on your audio? I'll guess it is, otherwise you wouldn't have received the offer, related to your vehicle service. It's easy to sign up, no credit card required. I did it in five minutes
    I don't see that option. I have radio, disc and telephone. I think I had it in the 2015 E400 that is now in car heaven, but I have a feeling they didn't put it in the C250 stripper model that doesn't have a backup camera or lane change warnings.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

@ab348
    Nice looking Maverick ab, especially for a university student. The black vinyl roof actually looks good on it, and I always liked those color coded wheel discs.

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    I never owned one of the original Mavericks, although I knew a few people who did. Take one with the V8, perform a few easily available performance mods on that engine, and you had yourself what we called a “Q-Ship” back in the day. They would usually give themselves away with a loud, rumbling exhaust, but the smarter types kept the exhaust fairly quiet and shocked quite a few stop-light warriors.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
    edited November 2022
    :#
    driver100 said:

@ab348
    Nice looking Maverick ab, especially for a university student. The black vinyl roof actually looks good on it, and I always liked those color coded wheel discs.

It was bought as a car for my father to drive but he hated it after a short time and went back to the Volvo 144 that had been handed down to me. I think having the trunk drop offs on either side fill with water after each heavy rain was part of his decision. He ended up drilling drain holes on each side. :#

The vinyl roof and rear panel/body side mouldings were actually dark brown. The painted wheel discs looked good until bits of the white paint began to flake off. It had the Ford zero-feel power steering and 9” teacup drum brakes all around, so handling and stopping was not its strong suit.

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    edited November 2022
    @driver100 @kyfdx
    I think your 2014 would have it already SXM capable in the radio. My 2008 Cobalt had SXM capability, but I never subscribed after the 6 month trial when I purchased it as used car.

I enjoy having the SXM in the 2014 and 2015 cars. It's a cheap 5$ month and runs about 13$ for both cars which they bill once a month because I let them set it up wrong. I wanted to pay $60 plus the music fees etc. and be done for the year.

I listen to music from the 50s and 60s which my wife hates. Soul Town (Motown) is my best liked station.

Only catch is the automatic renewal setup at higher rate which you can convert back into a new cheap plan if you miss the termination date to call and say "cancel me" or give me a cheap renewal.

I found that Hemmings Classic Car magazine wanted to do the same thing if I renewed by credit card. So I called instead. No way to renew by credit card without it automatically being imposed. I nearly didn't renew at all because of it. Cl Car has become a smidgen of what it used to be.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,314
    edited November 2022

Most automotive magazines are going downhill, sad to say. My current favorites are BMW Car, CAR, EVO, Thoroughbred and Classic Cars, and Roundel. The first four are British while Roundel is the BMW CCA monthly magazine.
    This month BMW Car is combining with the tuner oriented magazine Performance BMW and will become Total BMW; the jury is out as to the success of that move.
    I prefer the Brit mags as they usually feature a more technical orientation and aren’t dumbed down like all too many US car mags(and websites).

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

edited November 2022

Only catch is the automatic renewal setup at higher rate which you can convert back into a new cheap plan if you miss the termination date to call and say "cancel me" or give me a cheap renewal.

A bunch of scamsters if you ask me. I had terrible dealings with that outfit until I swore I wouldn't ever do that again.
    I found that Hemmings Classic Car magazine wanted to do the same thing if I renewed by credit card. So I called instead. No way to renew by credit card without it automatically being imposed. I nearly didn't renew at all because of it. Cl Car has become a smidgen of what it used to be.
    I found the same thing with HCC. I see they just appointed another new editor, Matt Litwin, replacing Terry McGean, who replaced Richard Lentinello a couple of years ago. The magazine is suffering.

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,290
    stickguy said:

different gen. But looks halfway decent, stiff miles though. I suspect that has a lot of deferred needs. but should be fun to drive.

But the bad thing is that it has a salvaged title. Of course there have been , IIRC, 60+K miles since the incident that caused the salvaged title. But it's still a big issue for me.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

@driver100 @kyfdx
    I think your 2014 would have it already SXM capable in the radio. My 2008 Cobalt had SXM capability, but I never subscribed after the 6 month trial when I purchased it as used car.

That gave me an idea. I'll try to google it to see if the C250 is XM capable, and if I can't find the info I'll ask the service manager at my MB dealer.

edited November 2022
    ab348 said:

:#

driver100 said:

@ab348

It was bought as a car for my father to drive but he hated it after a short time and went back to the Volvo 144 that had been handed down to me. I think having the trunk drop offs on either side fill with water after each heavy rain was part of his decision. He ended up drilling drain holes on each side. :#
    I liked my Maverick at the time, the 302 V8 in mine was pretty powerful at the time, for such a light car. I had no problems until about the 60k mile mark, and then things started to breakdown. Fortunately, I got a new job selling books, and got a company car. The company made a mistake and instead of getting me a 76 Fury I got a Gran Fury, now that was real luxury after the Maverick.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,268
    driver100 said:

@driver100 @kyfdx

That gave me an idea. I'll try to google it to see if the C250 is XM capable, and if I can't find the info I'll ask the service manager at my MB dealer.

If you look at the mailing, it likely gives you the ID# for your radio. That means it has it.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,156
    @jmonroe1 - Pittsburgh question for you, if you can.

What can you tell me about the suburb of Allison Park? A companion studio to the one my wife and daughter own just opened up there, and the owner was asking some questions about building the business up.

Just curious what you can tell me.

Thanks!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

edited November 2022
    kyfdx said:

driver100 said:

@driver100 @kyfdx

If you look at the mailing, it likely gives you the ID# for your radio. That means it has it.
    That is one reason I am hesitant. No mention about sending the signal to the car....they want my email address.

Having it sent to my app won't help since I don't have data. My $3 a month plan only allows phone calls or texting.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,268
    driver100 said:

kyfdx said:

driver100 said:

@driver100 @kyfdx

That is one reason I am hesitant. No mention about sending the signal to the car....they want my email address.

Having it sent to my app won't help since I don't have data. My $3 a month plan only allows phone calls or texting.
    There it is... on the APP. You evidently don't have it in the car.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Here's @driver100 's owners manual. I don't see any reference to having SXM
    already in it?

https://www.mbusa.com/content/dam/mb-nafta/us/owners/manuals/2014/operators/MY14_C-Class_Sedan_Operator.pdf

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,441
    That offer is just streaming. So you need a phone or computer to get it.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,314
    stickguy said:

That offer is just streaming. So you need a phone or computer to get it.

And a guy who can do it for you.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

edited November 2022
    I was "The Guy" today.

My Cruze has had a seep on a line that feeds oil to the turbo. It finally speeded up
    the drip rate and started leaving oil spots on my almost new driveway.

I looked for the videos on youtube. Found it's easy to replace if you have the
    right sized larger torx male and female tools. Only 5 screws/bolt involved.

Ordered part from Dorman on Amazon since ACDelco was not available.

Took 20 minutes work time this morning including getting out the
    right size sockets. Only problem was the shape of the tube from Dorman
    was slightly off and I had to bend it so I could push in the end with the
    two o-rings. None of the guys doing it in the videos had this trouble; theirs
    just went right in!

@kyfdx @imidazol97 @stickguy
    Thanks for checking it out for me. I didn't read the app part when I skimmed the ad the first time....I just figured if it is XM I am going to go through a lot of trouble to actually not pay for 3 months service....do I need this complication in my life?

I don't normally recommend Netflix shows since tastes vary so much. But, I gotta tell you, this series has about 100 twists and turns in each episode, the main character is a lawyer who gets her clients off when it seems impossible to do so, and the story line is very clever. If these things appeal to you then give "How to Get Away With Murder" on Netflix a try. I have seen plots that twist and turn, and clever stories but this one has more than I could ever imagine possible. :)

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,468

@Michaell said:

What can you tell me about the suburb of Allison Park? A companion studio to the one my wife and daughter own just opened up there, and the owner was asking some questions about building the business up.

Thanks!

————————————————
    Sorry to be late responding but I just got back in here after dinner and helping Son #1 with his newest rental property.

I’m not familiar with Allison Park. It’s North of the Burgh and I’m in an eastern suburb. What little I have heard about it is favorable and seems to be growing a bit vs. my burb has been kind of stagnant the last few years.

Maybe @pensfan83 can help with more info but for some reason I think he’s South of the Burgh.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,336

What kind of info are you looking for? I nearly bought a house there when we thought we were going to be in Pittsburgh long term.

2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible

What kind of info are you looking for? I nearly bought a house there when we thought we were going to be in Pittsburgh long term.

Just curious about demographics. I’ve never been to PGH so I have no frame of reference.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891

@Sandman6472 , glad to hear maybe this lawsuit is coming to an end. So who determines the payout? Does the judge come up with something arbitrary? What were the lawyers asking for? 28,000 participants is … dang. That’s alot. I agree you’ll get next to nothing. I mean, even at something like $50M, you might see $1000. Ridiculous.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,565
    jmonroe1 said:

@Michaell said:

Thanks!

————————————————

Sorry to be late responding but I just got back in here after dinner and helping Son #1 with his newest rental property.

I’m not familiar with Allison Park. It’s North of the Burgh and I’m in an eastern suburb. What little I have heard about it is favorable and seems to be growing a bit vs. my burb has been kind of stagnant the last few years.

Maybe @pensfan83 can help with more info but for some reason I think he’s South of the Burgh.

jmonroe

I work with a guy who grew up in Pittsburgh. I’ll see him Monday. If you have some specific questions, I’ll ask him when I see him.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,565
    qbrozen said:

@Sandman6472 , glad to hear maybe this lawsuit is coming to an end. So who determines the payout? Does the judge come up with something arbitrary? What were the lawyers asking for? 28,000 participants is … dang. That’s alot. I agree you’ll get next to nothing. I mean, even at something like $50M, you might see $1000. Ridiculous.

If the Asbestos settlements are any guide, he’ll probably get a book of stamps while the lawyers get millions.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,539
    Michaell said:

Just curious about demographics. I’ve never been to PGH so I have no frame of reference.
    Allison Park? Located about 30-40 minutes north of the city and a typical bedroom community; safe, quiet, and the usual array of big box stores and chains with a sprinkling of small businesses. Close to a very large county park (North Park) that has trails, a lake, wave pool, etc. We have friends from our traveling baseball league that live in that general area and it's overall a pretty nice area.

I'm rarely on Facebook but the community pages I belong are used frequently by local businesses, here's a few that might be worthwhile to join. It also seems, at least to me, that because the North Hills is easier to traverse than some other areas of the city it would be good to get in front of people in neighboring communities as well through Facebook, Nextdoor, etc.

1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
    pensfan83 said:

Michaell said:

Allison Park? Located about 30-40 minutes north of the city and a typical bedroom community; safe, quiet, and the usual array of big box stores and chains with a sprinkling of small businesses. Close to a very large county park (North Park) that has trails, a lake, wave pool, etc. We have friends from our traveling baseball league that live in that general area and it's overall a pretty nice area.

I'm rarely on Facebook but the community pages I belong are used frequently by local businesses, here's a few that might be worthwhile to join. It also seems, at least to me, that because the North Hills is easier to traverse than some other areas of the city it would be good to get in front of people in neighboring communities as well through Facebook, Nextdoor, etc.

Excellent, thanks so much!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Michaell said:

If you're interested in demographics, start here with the latest census data:

https://www.census.gov/library/visualizations/2021/geo/demographicmapviewer.html

It will take some work to dig down to the level you want, but the information is there.

Or look up one or more zip codes in the specific area, and use google like so:

"census data for 77021"

which happens to be my zip code. You will get results like this:

77021 Demographics Summary
    population iconPopulation
    With 25,769 people, 77021 is the 440th most populated zip code in the state of Texas out of 1,908 zip codes. But watch out, 77021, because 75090 with 25,732 people, 77062 with 25,568 people, and 79606 with 25,568 people are right behind you.

race iconRace & Ethnicity
    The largest 77021 racial/ethnic groups are Black (67.0%) followed by Hispanic (17.4%) and White (12.2%).

income iconMedian Income
    In 2020, the median household income of 77021 households was $38,638. 77021 households made slightly more than 75451 households ($38,621) and 75968 households ($38,542) . However, 0.0% of 77021 families live in poverty.

age iconMedian Age
    The median age for 77021 residents is 35.9 years young.
    henryn said:

Michaell said:

If you're interested in demographics, start here with the latest census data:

https://www.census.gov/library/visualizations/2021/geo/demographicmapviewer.html

It will take some work to dig down to the level you want, but the information is there.

Or look up one or more zip codes in the specific area, and use google like so:

"census data for 77021"

which happens to be my zip code. You will get results like this:

77021 Demographics Summary
    population iconPopulation
    With 25,769 people, 77021 is the 440th most populated zip code in the state of Texas out of 1,908 zip codes. But watch out, 77021, because 75090 with 25,732 people, 77062 with 25,568 people, and 79606 with 25,568 people are right behind you.

race iconRace & Ethnicity
    The largest 77021 racial/ethnic groups are Black (67.0%) followed by Hispanic (17.4%) and White (12.2%).

income iconMedian Income
    In 2020, the median household income of 77021 households was $38,638. 77021 households made slightly more than 75451 households ($38,621) and 75968 households ($38,542) . However, 0.0% of 77021 families live in poverty.

age iconMedian Age
    The median age for 77021 residents is 35.9 years young.
    Cool! I’ll give that a look.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Yesterday I was on a 2 lane going south highway, speed limit 50 but everyone is going 55 or 60mph.
    I am in the left lane as I have to turn off to the left 1/2 mile ahead.
    There is a Mustang in front of me, about 30 car lengths ahead.
    He signals left and goes into the left turning lane.....could be turning left at that intersection.
    He comes to a stop, and almost instantly his right signal light comes on....at this point I am 15 car lengths behind him.
    Obviously, he wants to come back into the left driving lane.
    I'd like to go into the right lane but I can't turn back to see if it is clear, if he moves in front of me I'll probably hit him - if there is a car near my blind spot I'll probably hit him. If I hit someone that will be my fault.
    I try to slow down enough so that if he does come into my lane I can take evasive action, steer away or stop.
    Once I pass him, he turns back into the driving lane behind me.
    We all make mistakes, going into the left turn lane was a mistake, but the bigger mistake IMO was signaling right when a car was coming up behind him in the lane he wanted to get into.
    In fact, technically, the signal light should not even come on until the driver signaling is sure he is clear to go into the lane he wants to get into.
    If he waited until all the cars went by him, and then turned on his signal light, he wouldn't have caused me to go on high alert and possibly suffer a panic attack.

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,099
    I have to review some demographic data at work, I use this site to get some material:

https://geomap.ffiec.gov/FFIECGeocMap/GeocodeMap1.aspx
    I think half of the dashcam clips I see are from FL - wild place with insurance premiums to match. Must have not been a V8 Mustang, or it would have been a real scene.
    driver100 said:

Yesterday I was on a 2 lane going south highway, speed limit 50 but everyone is going 55 or 60mph.
    He signals left and goes into the left turning lane.....could be turning left at that intersection.
    He comes to a stop, and almost instantly his right signal light comes on....at this point I am 15 car lengths behind him.
    I'd like to go into the right lane but I can't turn back to see if it is clear, if he moves in front of me I'll probably hit him - if there is a car near my blind spot I'll probably hit him. If I hit someone that will be my fault.
    I try to slow down enough so that if he does come into my lane I can take evasive action, steer away or stop.
    We all make mistakes, going into the left turn lane was a mistake, but the bigger mistake IMO was signaling right when a car was coming up behind him in the lane he wanted to get into.
    In fact, technically, the signal light should not even come on until the driver signaling is sure he is clear to go into the lane he wants to get into.
    If he waited until all the cars went by him, and then turned on his signal light, he wouldn't have caused me to go on high alert and possibly suffer a panic attack.

fintail said:

I think half of the dashcam clips I see are from FL - wild place with insurance premiums to match. Must have not been a V8 Mustang, or it would have been a real scene.

driver100 said:

On my way to and from tennis, which is a 20 minute drive, I see 1 to 3 close calls a day going each way. The drivers are bad and the roads aren't designed properly. There is a lot of cross traffic going across 50 to 60 mph 2 and 4 lane highway roads. They build a new survey with 100 houses, and cars have to pull across a busy road and try to make a left turn....they need split second timing or could sit for hours. There is an Amazon warehouse built on a side road, it employees over 3000 workers, those workers have to come out onto a 2 lane road that is very busy -with cars going in both directions going 50 to 60 mph. That road has a 4 way stop on it, I have counted 30 cars lined up to turn left after stopping, and then they alternate to go left.
    I doubt it was a V8, the guy wasn't a speeder, probably an old dawdler guy, there are lots of those down here too. Actually, surprised the guy used a signal light, that is really rare, unfortunately it would have been better if he didn't use it.

Speaking of Florida mustang drivers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08iCfk5dSGo

Yes, I see them every day doing that or something similar. A day or two ago I was in the left lane of 2 lanes....because I had a left turn coming up and the guy behind me was on my rear bumper....I could tell he was impatient but I couldn't go faster than the car ahead of me. Of course he dodges to the right, moves up quick and wedges himself between me and the car ahead of me. I could have blocked him in but a few seconds don't matter to me. When I get to where I turn left he is at the red light, about the 6th car in line, my left turn lane has the advanced green arrow, and I turn the corner before he even moves.....and that is the circle of life.

V8 Mustang is effectively a meme or cliche now as a murderous vehicle, due to being overpowered and appealing to a demographic who may overestimate their driving ability.

I suspect bad driving is becoming a national epidemic. Locally, the PD has flatly admitted they aren't even looking at routine traffic infractions, so driving here has become "freeform" as I like to call it - pay special attention at stoplights. Turn signals, maybe sometimes. We also have some wide "stroads" that are attractive to street racers and wild speeders.
    driver100 said:

fintail said:

driver100 said:

On my way to and from tennis, which is a 20 minute drive, I see 1 to 3 close calls a day going each way. The drivers are bad and the roads aren't designed properly. There is a lot of cross traffic going across 50 to 60 mph 2 and 4 lane highway roads. They build a new survey with 100 houses, and cars have to pull across a busy road and try to make a left turn....they need split second timing or could sit for hours. There is an Amazon warehouse built on a side road, it employees over 3000 workers, those workers have to come out onto a 2 lane road that is very busy -with cars going in both directions going 50 to 60 mph. That road has a 4 way stop on it, I have counted 30 cars lined up to turn left after stopping, and then they alternate to go left.
    I doubt it was a V8, the guy wasn't a speeder, probably an old dawdler guy, there are lots of those down here too. Actually, surprised the guy used a signal light, that is really rare, unfortunately it would have been better if he didn't use it.
  • abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,255

As you guys already know, I had two back operations about a year ago (Nov & Dec) but got no relief. I’ve been to pain doctors and had the epidurals - no relief. I live in constant pain. I need a walker to navigate.

I went to see my oncologist about my liver cancer and he was very pleased I have survived 6 years with no recurrence. He ordered a PET-Scan to reinsure I have no spread this year. The results of the PET-Scan showed a lesion at my T-12 vertebrae. So my primary care physician ordered a STAT MRI of my thoracic and lumbar spine with and without contrast which will be performed on Monday morning.

I just don’t seem to get a break. If it looks malignant they will do a biopsy. If it looks benign they will try to get me a neurosurgeon to remove it if it has not affected my spinal cord.

I haven’t been able to sleep for days.

2021 Genesis G90

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,953
    I do know of a very excellent pain management doctor down in Sunrise, near Hiatus & 44th Street. Unfortunately, my spinal issues aren't fixable so I get through the chronic pain with the meds I take. The chronic pain never goes away but it's more manageable with his help & I've been able to hold down a part time job going on 10 years next month. Give me a holler if you'd like his info as he's a fine doctor & a very comical human being. Without his help all these past years, my life would've really been awful!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

abacomike said:

As you guys already know, I had two back operations about a year ago (Nov & Dec) but got no relief. I’ve been to pain doctors and had the epidurals - no relief. I live in constant pain. I need a walker to navigate.

I went to see my oncologist about my liver cancer and he was very pleased I have survived 6 years with no recurrence. He ordered a PET-Scan to reinsure I have no spread this year. The results of the PET-Scan showed a lesion at my T-12 vertebrae. So my primary care physician ordered a STAT MRI of my thoracic and lumbar spine with and without contrast which will be performed on Monday morning.

I just don’t seem to get a break. If it looks malignant they will do a biopsy. If it looks benign they will try to get me a neurosurgeon to remove it if it has not affected my spinal cord.

I haven’t been able to sleep for days.

Good luck Mike, you deserve a break. I am hoping you get some relief......asap.

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,938
    Very sorry to learn Mike. I pray that you find relief and recovery soon.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

Good luck, Mike. Hang in there!
    Hang in Mike. you have been through the ringer, but you seem to be unstoppable.

Sandy, 10 years already? You must be close to you 40 quarters by now to get SS. Being 1-2 short of that would be enough to keep working a little longer!

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,953
    Stick, I've already gone past the 40 quarters. Started getting my s s in December of 2019. Due to Reagan passing the Windfall Provision Act in 1984, I only get a fraction of my s s payment which turns out to be less then I owe for Medicare so I get...NOTHING!!! They screwed up my payment twice in 2019 and made two adjustments. They again screwed it up in 2020 and increased the payment a bit. A couple of months ago, received notification that they screwed up again and re-calculated my monthly payment and had to go back to 1/1/21 and pay me the difference going forward from then. If this isn't a "cluster fu-k", I don't know what is! Our government sometimes is just very inept at doing their job it seems.
    There is a bill in Congress right now to end that Windfall Provision Act and it should be stricken from the books really. We postal workers put in our fair share into s s so why on earth do we not get our full amount. It's down-right un-American really, to pay into something but being told we can't get the same amount as everyone else. Totally unfair & utterly ridiculous as I pay into s s like you & everyone else in here. Just really pisses me off as it's really my money they are taking away!
    Rant over!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

edited December 2022
    @Sandman6472
    Did you work a separate job for the SS eligibility or was that a part of what is described
    in this description as postal workers choosing to have SS withheld after 1983/4 when the
    Windfall Profits law was enacted by Congress?
    https://www.helpadvisor.com/social-security/postal-workers

I recall at the time the typical discussion was about military folks or
    police/fire who can work fairly short periods of 20/25 years and get a
    full retirement plan paid for partly from government funds and then work
    in other jobs and retire with full SS benefits. I.E., work from 20-45 or so
    and then work from age 40-65 and take retirement with SS as a separate retirement
    on top of the other one. Both being government funded retirement plans
    in the examples usually cited by the proponents at the time. "Double dipping"
    I believe was the phrase used at the time of discussion.

It sounds like you were caught by the bigger net and hurt by that ruling?

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,255

@Sandman6472 said:
    I do know of a very excellent pain management doctor down in Sunrise, near Hiatus & 44th Street. Unfortunately, my spinal issues aren't fixable so I get through the chronic pain with the meds I take. The chronic pain never goes away but it's more manageable with his help & I've been able to hold down a part time job going on 10 years next month. Give me a holler if you'd like his info as he's a fine doctor & a very comical human being. Without his help all these past years, my life would've really been awful!

Sandy, the pain management doctors I have seen all want me to take morphine pills - 30 mg. I refuse to take opioids - they constipate me and they make me woozy - I would not be able to drive. I can’t take muscle relaxers or drugs to reduce inflammation because I take blood thinners. So I just suffer unless I am in my adjustable bed (Temperpedic).

If this lesion is causing my pain, it can be corrected. Thanks for your input.

2021 Genesis G90

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    stickguy said:

Speaking of Florida mustang drivers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08iCfk5dSGo

Looks like he has 5 or more cars behind him and no one in front of him = impeding traffic and holding everyone up. In CA, you MUST (repeat MUST) get out the "F" way when this happens.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion