Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,097
    Michaell said:

I recently saw a post on LinkedIn that was just the opposite - person accepted a job offer, only to get an email the day before they were scheduled to start indicating that the company was going through a "restructuring" and the offer was being rescinded.

Not as bad, when I was job seeking, I had moved on deep into the process with a certain megalocorp named after a river. Multiple interviews passed with flying colors, including the day long trials, and glowing communication with hiring staff and those in the specific department. Then out of the blue they mentioned the position had been moved to a distant location (Montreal) and was being rescinded locally. Maybe it was a blessing, as if one is that disorganized, I had to wonder what else was going on. I've heard pros and horror stories about working there.
  • henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    Back around 2008 or so, I was thinking about coming out of retirement and looking for employment. A friend of mine told me about a publicly posted job with the state comptroller’s office. They were looking for someone to handle outward facing security on their computer systems and networks. That is a very specific job, requiring very specific knowledge and experience which I did not have.

I did a little digging, and found that the salary range for similar jobs was $120k and up. The state was offering about $90k, so I knew they were not going to get anyone with the actual qualifications that they were seeking. I did some reading, learned a few buzz words, and sent in my application and resume.

When it came time for the actual interview, things did not go at all as I expected. They started with a written exam on the linux operating system, which I aced due to my heavy background in unix. Then proceeded with a scripted oral interview, which was nothing like anything I had ever experienced before. Three people sitting around a table (four counting myself), questions being asked from a script, and the answers being graded by each of the three interviewers.

I thought at the time that I did reasonably well, not embarrassing myself at least. But definitely not impressive. Looking back on it, I don’t think any of the three interviewers really knew how to grade my responses, so they were simply going on my composure, demeanor, and use of the English language.

About 2 months later, I received a written notification that they had chosen another candidate. I didn’t think too much about it, just moved on with my life. Then, about 6 months after the interview, I get a phone call from one of the men who interviewed me. He was the manager for the job position I had applied for, and he asked me if I were still interested. By then I had gone back to work for Chevron in a contract position, and wasn’t interested. But I was curious, asked a few questions, and we talked for a while.

It turns out I was the only candidate who passed the written linux exam, and I had the highest score on the scripted interview. But … (You knew there was going to be a “but”, right?) The state comptroller is an elected position, and a big campaign donor had asked for his nephew to be given the job, so he was. When the new employee showed up for work, he was so grossly unqualified for the job that it was an embarrassment for everyone involved. He worked less than a week, and quit.

Everything worked out well for me, I spent 10 years working contract for Chevron, making more money than the state had offered. But the whole thing did leave a bad taste in my mouth, wondering just how many technical jobs are filled by incompetent people in the public sector.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    qbrozen said:

We’ve mixed up our discussions, I believe. Back to business… @roadburner , when are you spilling the beans about your car candidates? AMG and what? Is it a pricier BMW? A Caddy? Dodge? Alfa Quad?

A couple of AMGs so far. Found what appeared to be a nice M2C, but too many mods to suit me.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

stickguy said:

RB, you know you must be a lousy boss when employees would rather go to prison than work for you!

I’m not a lawyer, but I assume that Sandy’s claim is not. Normal class action where lawyers get most of a settlement pool. The workers should get whatever they were screwed out off (back pay, etc) and the lawyers will get paid on top of that. Maybe a resident lawyer can confirm.

In a class action the only people who make serious money are the plaintiff's attorneys,

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,236
    My favorite class action story is the one where I was part of a class of early Iomega Zip Drive buyers. I think the allegations involved a higher than expected failure rate. Mine had not failed, so I had not suffered any appreciable damages. But, since I was part of the class, as part of the settlement, I was given the opportunity to purchase a blank Zip disk "at a discount." As you might imagine, the cost of a disk through the class action's "discount program" was higher than I would pay at my local electronics store.
    One of the reasons I ran for office in 2018 was because of the 2017 appointment process to serve out the unexpired term. I was jerked around and outright lied to by a couple of people in the governor's office. I knew that the governor gets a political black eye when an appointee loses the subsequent election, so that was a motivating factor.

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,439
    Class action story about blue buffalo dog food. I think some got contaminated? Something that injured dogs. So, a class settlement reached. Requirement was submitting your proof of purchases. Pretty detailed and took some research to find what was needed.

Anyway, my BIL had used that food and was bored so he dug around, found what was needed, and sent in receipts for a few bags of food. Ended up being so few people bothered, that his share of the settlement was $1,000+, way more than he submitted receipts for.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,356
    Michaell said:

I recently saw a post on LinkedIn that was just the opposite - person accepted a job offer, only to get an email the day before they were scheduled to start indicating that the company was going through a "restructuring" and the offer was being rescinded.

Didn’t the guy even show up to his first day and was taken to a conference room and given the news?

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,356
    fintail said:

Michaell said:

Not as bad, when I was job seeking, I had moved on deep into the process with a certain megalocorp named after a river. Multiple interviews passed with flying colors, including the day long trials, and glowing communication with hiring staff and those in the specific department. Then out of the blue they mentioned the position had been moved to a distant location (Montreal) and was being rescinded locally. Maybe it was a blessing, as if one is that disorganized, I had to wonder what else was going on. I've heard pros and horror stories about working there.
    I had a similar interview experience with this company. Made it to the on-site portion and they left me in the conference room by myself for lunch with a turkey sandwich. Zero personal interaction during the interview process and just left me feeling cold.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,538
    I've flubbed my share of things as a hiring manager but misleading, alienating, or otherwise stringing candidates along aren't any of them.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,118
    au1994 said:

Michaell said:

Didn’t the guy even show up to his first day and was taken to a conference room and given the news?
    No.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

edited November 2022
    Anyone care to guess what Carvana and Vroom offered me for the Maverick?
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    corvette said:

Anyone care to guess what Carvana offered me for the Maverick?

What is the sticker on that bad boy?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

MSRP was $25,775.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    corvette said:

MSRP was $25,775.

$28K

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,118
    kyfdx said:

corvette said:

MSRP was $25,775.

$28K
    $30,500

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,562
    edited November 2022
    stickguy said:

Farmer, I’m really considering going the winter beater route. A sacrificial lamb with the good cars spending a lot of time in hibernation until roads are clear and dry! Or just don’t leave the house.

Craigslist is full of cheap beaters for that purpose.

I’m considering getting one of those undercarriage wash gizmos to get the salt out from the underside. Currently I fill the door jams and rockers with fluid film and spray the hose up into the wheel wells when it’s above freezing.

Fortunately, only one car stays out all winter and the cargo van is already a lost cause.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

@Michaell nearly nailed it. Carvana bid $30,051. Vroom would not give an automated bid. Whomever was working today must have been in a bad mood and ready to clear out their work flow, because I got a bid of $20,000 from them about a minute later.

The Carvana offer is certainly tempting, but I have no clue what I would get to replace it.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    @corvette,
    Did you try Carmax? When I got bids on my Explorer last month, they were a lot higher.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    I recently had an officer involved shooting in my county. An attorney representing the family of the victim just found out that the grand jury declined to indict the officer. Today I just spoke with the attorney and he was remarkably reasonable. That's not to say that I still won’t be interviewed for the six o’clock news- the next media cycle will likely be entertaining...

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891

@corvette said:
    @Michaell nearly nailed it. Carvana bid $30,051. Vroom would not give an automated bid. Whomever was working today must have been in a bad mood and ready to clear out their work flow, because I got a bid of $20,000 from them about a minute later.

The Carvana offer is certainly tempting, but I have no clue what I would get to replace it.

Is it registered yet?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

edited November 2022
    @explorerx4 - yes, CarMax said it was too rare for them to give an automated appraisal and that I should bring it in.

@qbrozen - it's not registered. I just got the Iowa transit title today. I will have to pay sales tax when I register it. I'm thinking I could probably trade it now using the Iowa title without registering it or paying the sales tax.
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,097
    That stinks. My process was actually pretty decent - took me out to lunch, provided transport to and from the site, etc. A lack of communication as time passed, and then the final communication, made me cringe and laugh just a little. I have a few old friends/co-workers who are employed there, depending on the role it appears to either be pretty decent, or zero work-life balance (which is what I was trying not to repeat)
    au1994 said:

fintail said:

Michaell said:

I had a similar interview experience with this company. Made it to the on-site portion and they left me in the conference room by myself for lunch with a turkey sandwich. Zero personal interaction during the interview process and just left me feeling cold.
    corvette said:

@explorerx4 - yes, CarMax said it was too rare for them to give an automated appraisal and that I should bring it in.

@qbrozen - it's not registered. I just got the Iowa transit title today. I will have to pay sales tax when I register it. I'm thinking I could probably trade it now using the Iowa title without registering it or paying the sales tax.

that would be tempting since it will add quite a bit to the profit! But, like you said, if you sell it you need to figure out a replacement.

I never bothered to run mine through. Not that I am against looking for something else, or banking $, but I really like it and find it handy!

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    edited November 2022

Well, if the judge doesn't want a trial and the defendant keeps asking for continuances, there you are...

Funny, traffic court judges will only grant one continuance one time, not sure they want a trial but I am sure they want the revenue.

Two continuances is less likely than winning your traffic case.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,562
    corvette said:

Wow! No wonder Carvana is going bust.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

@corvette - nice!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

@corvette said:

I’ve had trouble in the past getting accurate bids on non-registered vehicles.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

My better half talked me off the ledge... the only thing I'm vaguely interested in would be a base model F-150 Lightning--if I could get one for MSRP and get the tax credit, that would be hard to turn down, in spite of its limitations (poor maneuverability of a full size truck, 230 mile range, and slow charging at a given amperage due to needing a bigger battery than a "normal" EV to compensate for having the aerodynamics of a brick).

Tacoma lease deals seem to be in the high $400s for a midrange model. Working backwards using current interest rates, I suspect the buyout after 39 months of payments would be around $30k, so probably not a better deal than buying one outright.
    Coming up on 72 hours with no follow-up from the new buyer; no reply to my last 3 emails nor text message. Pretty much the same thing that happened with the first buyer. I get the initial "hey, where do I send the money" email and then nothing after I provide all the pertinent info. What is wrong with people? I can kind of understand the first person who maybe got caught up in bidding and then regretted it or found out they didn't have permission or whatever. But the 2nd person? You had a week lapse since the auction ended, were offered a chance to take a deal, thought about it, and then accepted it. The most low-pressure situation you could possibly think of.

• dad23dad23 Member Posts: 866
    edited December 2022
    qbrozen said:

Coming up on 72 hours with no follow-up from the new buyer; no reply to my last 3 emails nor text message. Pretty much the same thing that happened with the first buyer. I get the initial "hey, where do I send the money" email and then nothing after I provide all the pertinent info. What is wrong with people? I can kind of understand the first person who maybe got caught up in bidding and then regretted it or found out they didn't have permission or whatever. But the 2nd person? You had a week lapse since the auction ended, were offered a chance to take a deal, thought about it, and then accepted it. The most low-pressure situation you could possibly think of.

It would be interesting to see how often this happens, and Doug just pockets more $ :/ Do you know if the second buyer had to pony up a deposit to buy?
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,333
    Two things are bothering me about this. (1) It seems like C&B gets a bonus when stuff like this happens - why wouldn't you get some/all of that buyer's fee for your trouble? (2) Where is the accountability from C&B here?

Sorry this is happening to you.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
    @pensfan83 - did you put Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 tires on your Prelude? I know you don't drive it a ton, but how do you like them?

Question for those who know more about this stuff than I do (which is most of you), is it bad to buy tires and not install them? Do tires have a shelf life? How long can they be stored and not installed?

Kind of reminds me of how some property management agreements are worded so that late fees go to the property manager and not the property owner…

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    I read some complaints that if the seller wanted a Reserve, they would refuse to list the vehicle.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    Tires have a shelf life, same as on the car, but if stored in climate control should last longer.

edited December 2022
    stickguy said:

Tires have a shelf life, same as on the car, but if stored in climate control should last longer.

My garage isn't exactly climate controlled. So you are saying don't buy the tires until I am ready to mount them?

You talking a few months or a few years? I’d buy fresh ones now if I planned to put them on in the spring, if they were a good deal. Sometimes at the tire store they try and pawn off dusty 2 year old ones anyway. Very few people IMO are smart enough to look at, or ask about, date codes.

nyccarguy said:

qbrozen said:

People suck
    Pretty much.

• pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,538
    nyccarguy said:

@pensfan83 - did you put Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 tires on your Prelude? I know you don't drive it a ton, but how do you like them?

Question for those who know more about this stuff than I do (which is most of you), is it bad to buy tires and not install them? Do tires have a shelf life? How long can they be stored and not installed?

I didn't put them on the Prelude yet. During its state safety inspection last month the tires were at 4/32 all around so about done but since it gets stored over the winter I deferred until spring.

They're on the BMW though and I really like them, solid value as well.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP

Two things are bothering me about this. (1) It seems like C&B gets a bonus when stuff like this happens - why wouldn't you get some/all of that buyer's fee for your trouble? (2) Where is the accountability from C&B here?

Pretty much my thoughts. Not that you'd get anything from any other site you can advertise on. BUT, the difference here is that C&B insists they have your listing exclusively, and you can't sell it out from under them. So they are taking your car off the market with no compensation in sight.

edited December 2022
    Ok, I found this in the FAQ:

If your buyer fails to follow through, we’ll immediately work with the next-highest bidder(s) in an attempt to sell your vehicle at an agreed-upon price. In the event that we can’t strike a deal, we may offer to re-list your car free of charge, or we will pay you half of the collected buyer’s fee after 90 days.

Of course, I doubt they'd ever offer up half the fee. They'll just offer to relist it. If you turn them down, well, that's on you, and they are not obligated to pay you one cent.

stickguy said:

You talking a few months or a few years? I’d buy fresh ones now if I planned to put them on in the spring, if they were a good deal. Sometimes at the tire store they try and pawn off dusty 2 year old ones anyway. Very few people IMO are smart enough to look at, or ask about, date codes.

A few months

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    nyccarguy said:

stickguy said:

A few months
    makes no difference. Keep them off the concrete

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,333
    Did they give you any metrics or data about the percentage of no-pay buyers as a risk when you listed in the first place?

I'm sure you will, but I'd raise this as high as Daddy Doug if need be - what a really poor showing if you're going to demand exclusivity.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
    kyfdx said:

nyccarguy said:

stickguy said:

A few months
    makes no difference. Keep them off the concrete
    They will be kept off the concrete for sure. I've got a storage rack in my garage

@stickguy said:
    Car tires wear out?

Who knew!

The Contis they put on my Maverick have an OE tread depth of only 8/32”. I’m sure Ford saved a few cents on each vehicle by speccing them that thin (most similar tires are at least 9 or 10/32”), but I doubt they will last as long as you’d expect.