Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,515
    Corvette, you are making me look bad. I never got around to the letters. Of course, I was supposed to have had a hybrid replacement by now!

I did do the DIY bed divider, installed a cover myself, and had rhino liner sprayed in. Never bothered to buy ForScan.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    It's interesting to set up a chair and watch the parade go by.

Disappointing for sure, but, sadly, not that surprising.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,934
    corvette said:

Knocked out a couple of mods on the Maverick. Enabled traffic sign recognition via the forward facing camera and also installed the vinyl lettering on the tailgate. I think the chrome AWD badge kind of clashes with the black lettering. Should I remove it or try to find a black badge?

Can't stop there, though.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1253238846/2022-2023-ford-maverick-black-emblem-set?gpla=1&gao=1&

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,789
    $396??

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,381
    Was BaT not interested in the Gloria? Or are you not interested in BaT?

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,012
    kyfdx said:

$396??

Yeah, but that's for 2.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,271

@corvette said:

Knocked out a couple of mods on the Maverick. Enabled traffic sign recognition via the forward facing camera and also installed the vinyl lettering on the tailgate. I think the chrome AWD badge kind of clashes with the black lettering. Should I remove it or try to find a black badge?

What about the chrome around the Ford badge? I’d leave it all alone. I didn’t even notice the AWD badge honestly.

@kyfdx said:
    $396??

It takes $ to be a baller😂

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    mjfloyd1 said:

@kyfdx said:

$396??

It takes $ to be a baller😂

There's gotta be a Chinese knockoff for $10.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion

@andres3 said:
    There's gotta be a Chinese knockoff for $10.

I guess he could settle for a wanna be baller

au1994 said:

I dunno. Hadn't really given them consideration. Over time, I just gravitated towards C&B. Seemed to be the more enthusiast-driven site rather than just a used car lot. I do see Bat had a Gloria in the summer with more miles and the lesser engine sell for $9k.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

qbrozen said:

au1994 said:

I dunno. Hadn't really given them consideration. Over time, I just gravitated towards C&B. Seemed to be the more enthusiast-driven site rather than just a used car lot. I do see Bat had a Gloria in the summer with more miles and the lesser engine sell for $9k.
    I gotcha. I’ve just noticed a few JDM’s on there lately. I’ve still never forgiven them for rejecting @breld’s Rebel Blue S60 Polestar.

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,604

It’s funny, I always look at BaT but never at C&B. Don’t know why, it’s just what happens.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    Check Ebay for black badges?
  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,543
    qbrozen said:

corvette said:

Can't stop there, though.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1253238846/2022-2023-ford-maverick-black-emblem-set?gpla=1&gao=1&
    ————————————————
    Why would a badge cost more than 200 bucks and the one that will sell out soon costs 400 bucks. Seems to me, we’re all in the wrong biz and you especially.

You otta look into what it takes to get into the badge selling biz. No more looking for a lot with required frontage, a sign, a restroom, etc. All you’d need is spare bedroom or a shed for storage.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    Michaell said:

kyfdx said:

$396??

Yeah, but that's for 2.
    ————————————————
    Yeah, but upon further review the add says “only 1 available”. :o

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646
    qbrozen said:

Coming up on 72 hours with no follow-up from the new buyer; no reply to my last 3 emails nor text message. Pretty much the same thing that happened with the first buyer. I get the initial "hey, where do I send the money" email and then nothing after I provide all the pertinent info. What is wrong with people? I can kind of understand the first person who maybe got caught up in bidding and then regretted it or found out they didn't have permission or whatever. But the 2nd person? You had a week lapse since the auction ended, were offered a chance to take a deal, thought about it, and then accepted it. The most low-pressure situation you could possibly think of.

Do these clowns realize that this is real life and not a video game where you can press reset and start over without consequences?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968
    I remember when you had the MB 190, always liked them as they were the perfect size. Saw a couple of Mini Cooper Countryman's today at work and they seem to be just the size I like. Also, sat in a 2020 Chevy Bolt EV at the Chevy dealer and felt it to be super plasticy inside & just didn't like the interior at all. Hoping the new 2022 Bolt EV is done with nice materials inside. Shame that there doesn't seem to be one to test drive at the dealers near me. Not quite sure I'm going to like it without some seat time to check it all out. Only way I'd even consider putting a deposit down on one is if I know the deposit will be 100% refundable if I decide to not take it once a unit I like comes in. The 2020 unit was a dark red wine color & was really stunning looking, I must admit. The new Ice Blue color I saw on the road a couple of weeks back also lood great to me.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

At least this 2nd buyer finally wrote back, and copied C&B, that "something suddenly came up and I can't follow through."
    Just tried posting on Ebay but, despite them having other JDM vehicles on their site, the system won't let me post it because it doesn't recognize the VIN. I tried the chat feature but they were unable to help and gave a number I should call; however, nobody is there to answer the phone. Hmmmm.
    Guess I'll submit to BaT and see what they say.

I added a few parts to the Golf after I got it. Saw some things online that I bought at the VW dealer and they had their guy install a couple of those things and their tint guy do the rest. I especially like the chrome strip I got to go across the bottom of the hatch, gives the hatch a more finished look if you will, and it looks like it was always there. Very happy also with the blue door edge guards though one got destroyed in the 2018 accident so the one on the new rear door is totally different than the other three. Was asked if I wanted them to swap out the other three at the time but declined, I hardly notice it and so far, no one else has either. And to be honest, never thought I'd have kept it this long.
    Yesterday was 8 years that we brought the A3 home and a week from Monday will be the Golf's 8th birthday. Both are running trouble free right now so there have been no discussions about doing any kind of changes in the garage. Probably a good thing as I like having both paid off and really don't want to take on a car loan right now as there's no way I'm going to pull $25K out of my portfolio for a depreciating asset. The next one will be financed and will use my salary to pay the monthly nut. Just hoping the rates on new cars won't be too crazy when I do pull the trigger. Not sure what the wife will do but suspect she'll just pay it upfront like usual. At this point, going down to one vehicle will not work even though she works from home three days a week and five days a week during tax season. I don't want to be stuck home without a vehicle on my n/s days and know for a fact that she doesn't either. So until we both fully retire, both vehicles will remain in the family garage, as it should be.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

qbrozen said:

At least this 2nd buyer finally wrote back, and copied C&B, that "something suddenly came up and I can't follow through."
    Just tried posting on Ebay but, despite them having other JDM vehicles on their site, the system won't let me post it because it doesn't recognize the VIN. I tried the chat feature but they were unable to help and gave a number I should call; however, nobody is there to answer the phone. Hmmmm.

What are the odds that both people involved in a bidding war both flake?
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421
    qbrozen said:

I'm sure there is A LOT more to it, but on all these auction sites don't they always say something to the effect of: "Your bid is a binding agreement..." I guess that's only as good as the ability to collect. Do they charge the bidder some kind of deposit?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

tifighter said:

It’s funny, I always look at BaT but never at C&B. Don’t know why, it’s just what happens.

I think it's because I follow BaT on Twitter..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

kyfdx said:

mjfloyd1 said:

qbrozen said:

What are the odds that both people involved in a bidding war both flake?
    100%?
    Lucky guess, retrospectively 😂
    I wonder if the economy not doing well, interest rates going up and cash flow problems around the holidays lead up to the flakepalooza?
    mjfloyd1 said:

I wonder if the economy not doing well, interest rates going up and cash flow problems around the holidays lead up to the flakepalooza?

I think it's just the anonymity of bidding on-line. I'd say it's typical. And, in this case, the penalty is only $200 or so..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

edited December 2022

I’ve submitted to BaT. This time with a reserve, though. So I’m guessing it will get rejected or they’ll try to talk me out of the reserve. It is a low reserve. Just insurance. But, like C&B, they have a specific “no reserve” search function, so many customers may never even see the car.

I remember when you had the MB 190, always liked them as they were the perfect size. Saw a couple of Mini Cooper Countryman's today at work and they seem to be just the size I like. Also, sat in a 2020 Chevy Bolt EV at the Chevy dealer and felt it to be super plasticy inside & just didn't like the interior at all. Hoping the new 2022 Bolt EV is done with nice materials inside. Shame that there doesn't seem to be one to test drive at the dealers near me. Not quite sure I'm going to like it without some seat time to check it all out. Only way I'd even consider putting a deposit down on one is if I know the deposit will be 100% refundable if I decide to not take it once a unit I like comes in. The 2020 unit was a dark red wine color & was really stunning looking, I must admit. The new Ice Blue color I saw on the road a couple of weeks back also lood great to me.

Have you seen the interior of the Hyundai Kona EV? It’s very bright and modern looking IMO.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

qbrozen said:

Unbelievable. I don’t know a lot about the legal end of auctions but isn’t making a bid at one considered a binding contract? Could these flakes be sued for not following through? “Something came up” doesn’t seem a valid reason for canceling a contract.

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,906

It is kind of an unwritten rule of an auction. If you are the highest bidder, you buy the item and the seller agrees to that price. Common sense… but as an old boss of mine used to say “Sense is not common”

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,906
    edited December 2022

@oldfarmer50 said:
    Have you seen the interior of the Hyundai Kona EV? It’s very bright and modern looking IMO.

I just put about 600 miles in two days on a base model Kona. I have to say, I didn’t hate it. In all reality it reminded me of my 2017 Elantra. It was definitely way too small for me, but a loaded up version with the turbo engine would be a nice ride for someone looking in that size range. The electric version would be a perfect city vehicle.

Also has to be said that it had 53K rental miles and was still tight and rattle free. I suspect it would have ridden better with properly inflated tires. They were near 50 PSi cold

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,555

If only mine didn't have summer tires...

1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
    qbrozen said:

I’ve submitted to BaT. This time with a reserve, though. So I’m guessing it will get rejected or they’ll try to talk me out of the reserve. It is a low reserve. Just insurance. But, like C&B, they have a specific “no reserve” search function, so many customers may never even see the car.

Good luck! I hope they are all over it and you don’t have to consider what plan “C” might be.

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,139

The 190/W201 finally has a little cult around it, especially in Europe, but there's one here too. Not enough to really impact values, but the cars finally found a little love - I think the "Baby Benz" stigma was hard for many to get over. The oldest ones are 40 years old now, enough IMO to call it a vintage car of sorts.
    breld said:

Beautiful sunny day in Colorado today. Think I’ll take the ZHP out for some errands to stretch its legs. :)

————————————————
    In other words it’s due for an Italian Tuneup.

jmonroe
    I've posted it on FB and CL. Probably a waste of time and money (did we know CL now charges $5??).

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    qbrozen said:

I've posted it on FB and CL. Probably a waste of time and money (did we know CL now charges $5??).

Yes, I knew that about Craigslist. Doesn't seem to have changed anything though.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    fintail said:

The 190/W201 finally has a little cult around it, especially in Europe, but there's one here too. Not enough to really impact values, but the cars finally found a little love - I think the "Baby Benz" stigma was hard for many to get over. The oldest ones are 40 years old now, enough IMO to call it a vintage car of sorts.
    Back several decades ago, a friend and coworker bought a new 190. He had a lot of trouble with that car, constant problems, many trips to the service department, some of the problems never resolved. Looking back on it now, it probably should have been a buy-back lemon. Which happens occasionally with every carmaker, I suppose.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
    pensfan83 said:

If only mine didn't have summer tires...

The winters are still in my basement.. :D

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,348
    edited December 2022
    I took the cooper on a short trip to visit a friend; those new Bilsteins(B4) have transformed the car. I'll enjoy the next two years before I sell it off.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,555

Wasn't the Pajero supposed to be a keeper?

1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
    edited December 2022
    qbrozen said:

Craigslist has been charging $5 for several years. That’s why most of the con men have moved to FB Marketplace. I could make some jokes about CL flakes but I’ve sold a number of cars there without too much drama.

I found 39 JDM listings within 200 miles of me, including yours.

edited December 2022

@pensfan83 said:
    Wasn't the Pajero supposed to be a keeper?

Yes, but wife says no.

I mean, if I give up the WRX, she wouldn’t mind if I kept the Mitsu, but she’d likely say “no way because then you’ll regret not having a fun manual car. Of course, I could satisfy that with rotating inventory. Nothing is set in stone.

HOWEVER, I have checked offers on the WRX and they are not good. Good luck finding one as a buyer, but the big places aren’t interested in having it on hand, it would seem. I COULD retail it myself, if I really wanted. But I’d likely regret it. We’ll see. Its all fluid.

Yes, the Kona EV might just work to be honest. It's the perfect size and having the Hyundai store so close, across the street from the entrance to our subdivision, makes it really easy to get to. I'd be o k getting another Hyundai product since the three others have really been great. OF, glad you reminded me about the Kona EV as I don't see many of them around honestly. And my driving situation is really perfect for an EV vehicle as I don't drive very far, maybe 40 miles per week, so charging it up every two to three weeks wouldn't be an issue.
    I do like the way the Kona drives in the gasser form so bettingan EV would be a lot peppier. Just have to remember to feather the accelerator in order to get a smooth drive as I remember my drive in the Tesla and how it dropped like a rock once I took my feet off the pedal. A bit scary until I figured that using the accelerator would smooth things out.
    Again OF, thanks for throwing your suggestion out there. Think I'll set my sights on a 2024 model and see how things go. Just not qite ready to kick the olf to the curb quite yet.

edited December 2022
    I spotted an Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio with license plate that read “M3 LOL”
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,084

Also, sat in a 2020 Chevy Bolt EV at the Chevy dealer and felt it to be super plasticy inside & just didn't like the interior at all. Hoping the new 2022 Bolt EV is done with nice materials inside. Shame that there doesn't seem to be one to test drive at the dealers near me. Not quite sure I'm going to like it without some seat time to check it all out.

Sandy, take look at this video review of a Bolt EUV:

https://youtu.be/77PbaFIhNJw

Sarah's way of speaking and presenting herself is odd/quirky/annoying but she does give a good overview.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6